Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Dang we jumped to answer that quick huh

Unreal_One posted:

e: JESUS we nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mister Facetious posted:

The DS needed a dongle for Internet as I recall.

Nah, it just didn’t have a built in browser... but you could buy one in cart form:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DS could connect to WEP only if you had a WAP

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could get it to work by temporarily changing your router encryption to WEP, connecting, then changing it back to WPA2 or whatever but since you had do do this on a per game basis lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

DS could connect to WEP only if you had a WAP

I was always the ONLY friend in my group who had the bucket and mop accessories

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean the games got good reviews. Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny, Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, Gran Turismo, Patapon 2, God of War: Ghost of Sparda, etc. So I assumed they were appealing.

That said, as a previous PSP owner, I kind of agree with you. The PSP had tons of well reviewed games but I didn't enjoy any of them besides Darkstalkers. Metal Gear for example was boring and bad. Socom was horrendous. The worst Ys games in the series. Daxter was just like "okay". The system really did seem to suffer from "Sega Syndrome", but maybe that's just me. In contrast the Nintendo DS titles I tended to prefer to their console counterparts.

???
Oath in Felghana is literally the best Ys game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

DS WiFi stuff

I could feel myself physically aging during this conversation. God that was such a long time ago. There was a dongle but it was really not that great, and if you could connect to the router if you had one back in those days, it resulted in a way better connection.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The DS could only ghost ride the WEP

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I played a LOT of Mario Kart DS online, looking back that was probably my favorite behind 8. I think it was only 4 people but it worked alright.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
iirc DS was the one where snaking got out of control, but it was still super fun to play online. I remember doing goon run tournaments of it back in the day.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Snaking was good.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Flashbacks of playing Animal Crossing DS with the USB wifi thing around Xmas. The Wii being fussy with our old router. God internet used to be such a pain in the rear end. I barely think about it now.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Back when my family had just upgraded from 56k to cable internet, and we only had a modem with a single ethernet port, I remember posting on GameFAQs arranging trades with people for items in Phantasy Star Online, then unplugging the computer so I could plug in the Gamecube broadband adapter to fire up the game and conduct the transaction. I can't believe I ever thought that was normal :thunk:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean the games got good reviews. Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny, Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, Gran Turismo, Patapon 2, God of War: Ghost of Sparda, etc. So I assumed they were appealing.

That said, as a previous PSP owner, I kind of agree with you. The PSP had tons of well reviewed games but I didn't enjoy any of them besides Darkstalkers. Metal Gear for example was boring and bad. Socom was horrendous. The worst Ys games in the series. Daxter was just like "okay". The system really did seem to suffer from "Sega Syndrome", but maybe that's just me. In contrast the Nintendo DS titles I tended to prefer to their console counterparts.

:chloe:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My roommate is finally getting a Switch and im looking for a game with a persistent world like Minecraft where we can log on independently and work on stuff.

I'm burned out on MC and I don't think he'd enjoy it.

Is there anything like that? I'll pay for a server if need be.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Araxxor posted:

I could feel myself physically aging during this conversation. God that was such a long time ago. There was a dongle but it was really not that great, and if you could connect to the router if you had one back in those days, it resulted in a way better connection.

I remember buying a pci wifi card with a specific chipset that let my computer act as a demo distribution station.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

404notfound posted:

Back when my family had just upgraded from 56k to cable internet, and we only had a modem with a single ethernet port, I remember posting on GameFAQs arranging trades with people for items in Phantasy Star Online, then unplugging the computer so I could plug in the Gamecube broadband adapter to fire up the game and conduct the transaction. I can't believe I ever thought that was normal :thunk:

Online gaming was so much cooler in that era.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

My roommate is finally getting a Switch and im looking for a game with a persistent world like Minecraft where we can log on independently and work on stuff.

I'm burned out on MC and I don't think he'd enjoy it.

Is there anything like that? I'll pay for a server if need be.

I think Ark is like that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think Ark is like that?

For the love of God don't get that game on the Switch. If you thought Outer Worlds was bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kN73PuygI

fwiw my nephews love it on PC; my bro has been running a server for a few years now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ideally we'd play Valheim but that port isn't happening, as far as I know.

Wish DQ Builders was MP and open world. I love that style.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

has a single other person on this earth played Digimon cyber sleuth. how is it on a scale of 'decent!' to 'just buy and play FFIX instead'

jonesing for a jrpg

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Inzombiac posted:

Ideally we'd play Valheim but that port isn't happening, as far as I know.

Wish DQ Builders was MP and open world. I love that style.

The guys who did the Doom2016 port just said they were looking into doing a port of Valheim the other day.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes! In fact, pokemon pinball ruby + sapphire has rumble on a gameboy player, even though the cartridge did not have rumble.
:aaaaa:

Wonder how it'd feel for Drill Dozer vs playing it handheld, cause the whole drill sound+rumble effect (coming from the same source spatially) just felt perfect.

Gutcruncher posted:

Still mad that GB Player didn’t contain Super GB capabilities :colbert:

Gutcruncher posted:

True but you don’t get a color and voice version of Donkey Kong

ALSO mad that the 3DS Gameboy games didn’t get their SGB versions.
:argh: I still haven't played DK94 in color, and there's voice?!

Spacebump posted:

really wish the Gamecube 4 Swords game would get ported to switch with online play.
Been waiting for online Pac-Man Vs for years. There's a version in one of the Switch Namco or Pac collections but I think local only and requires two Switches.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

has a single other person on this earth played Digimon cyber sleuth. how is it on a scale of 'decent!' to 'just buy and play FFIX instead'

jonesing for a jrpg

I've not played it, but if you haven't played FFIX then seriously just go play FFIX.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MechaSeinfeld posted:

jonesing for a jrpg

I know one person that likes it but they're kinda obsessed with Digimon.

FF9 is great and is a solid buy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Inzombiac posted:

I know one person that likes it but they're kinda obsessed with Digimon.

FF9 is great and is a solid buy.

How is FF12?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaSeinfeld posted:

jonesing for a jrpg

I have played it and loved it. Aside from a dodgy Namco-Bandai budget translation, it's similar to Persona games in tone, and a lot of fun once you figure out how to not just break but obliterate grinding up your 'mons into Megas and Fusions.

Just make sure to play Cyber Sleuth first and not Hacker's Memory, as it makes BIG assumptions about you playing CS first (it's also good and well worth playing after if you like Cyber Sleuth).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

japtor posted:

:argh: I still haven't played DK94 in color, and there's voice?!

Not much but a little. Pauline yells “HELP” at least. DK94 really pulled out all the stops for super gameboy.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

jonesing for a jrpg

I enjoyed Cyber Sleuth a lot, as someone who watched Digimon as a kid and has only vaguely engaged with it since. The story's weird but fun and I liked evolving my Digimon. It's not a life-changing experience but it's a fun time. Didn't play the sequel because I was annoyed there was no PC gender choice for that one, but I imagine it's similar.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

thanks for all your help! love my nintendo vita swiutch!

e: theres no way to change the font in Blasphemous is there? my poo poo eyes cant read it well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spacebump posted:

Is Dex worth playing?

Bit late on that, but I've heard it's... ambitious, but doesn't really work well. Basically trying to be Deus Ex in 2D.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Gnosia chat. Made a new save to play as a different gender. Had the best game so far at Loop 9 when you first play as a Gnos.

Raqio and I befriended Shige early on who defended us all the way through. Won the game with just me and Shige left. Come to find out he was the guardian angel! Not only that, 2 of the 3 people he protected were the Gnos.

Shigemichi: The most loyal ally.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spacebump posted:

How is FF12?

Check my posting history for Final Fantasy opinions.

FF12 rules but isn't for everyone! I adore it but there are some MMO-lite elements that people don't enjoy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

???
Oath in Felghana is literally the best Ys game

They probably meant Napishtim, which while being a trashass port on the PSP is still not a bad game nor the worst Ys game by a mile.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have 2 left Joycons which drift. I'm going to replace them myself instead of sending them to Nintendo because tinkering with electronics is fun!

Anyone have recommended replacement sticks? I don't want to order some only to find they feel like crap compared to the original Nintendo part - I don't want a knockoff N64 controller stick situation.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Does anyone know the non shady version of this style third party joycon replacements? Money is no obstacle. Looking for the best dpad basically.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Spacebump posted:

How is FF12?

Inzombiac posted:

Check my posting history for Final Fantasy opinions.

FF12 rules but isn't for everyone! I adore it but there are some MMO-lite elements that people don't enjoy.

For a different opinion, I'm the not everyone. I wanted to like it a lot, the art style is really nice and I enjoyed a lot of the visual themes. It's very light on story and character pieces though so the gameplay becomes a real deciding factor and I just didn't enjoy it. To put it simply, the best way to play the game is to figure how to spend the least amount of time actively playing the game. It's much more proactive than reactive if that makes sense.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have 2 left Joycons which drift. I'm going to replace them myself instead of sending them to Nintendo because tinkering with electronics is fun!

Anyone have recommended replacement sticks? I don't want to order some only to find they feel like crap compared to the original Nintendo part - I don't want a knockoff N64 controller stick situation.

I'm pretty sure all of the replacements are made in the same factory and have the same standard of quality control as each other, which is to say, variable. I ordered a kit to replace mine and one of the included sticks was broken from the start. If you sort by reviews on amazon you'll find negative reviews for every single brand you can find stating the same thing. They're so cheap though that it's best just to get a 4 pack imo and hope enough of them work properly for it to be worth it.

Nierbo posted:

Does anyone know the non shady version of this style third party joycon replacements? Money is no obstacle. Looking for the best dpad basically.

You want the hori split pad pro

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Butterfly Valley posted:

You want the hori split pad pro

That looks awesome. Thank-you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Just dripping in to remind everyone its less than ten days till monster hunter!