Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Congrats!!

Also Le Figaro is French 😉

I’ve seen a lot of copies of it over the years.

Derp, should’ve known that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Second chair making sure that third chair gets a runaway by beating the champion to one of the last questions when she’s so close to being able to challenge him.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

Second chair making sure that third chair gets a runaway by beating the champion to one of the last questions when she’s so close to being able to challenge him.

Honestly, there’s a good chance she just didn’t know. Apart from ad breaks and the daily doubles I had no idea what the scores were at all in my games; you just don’t really have that much time to keep track of it. Some champs start doing it after a few games when they get used to it but I’d be shocked if a challenger did.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What’s the worst Final Jeopardy betting gently caress up that anyone remembers?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Every time someone in third behind two tied contestants bets anything other than $0

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They showed the 2nd episode last summer. Since the preview image spoils it completely, all of them missed the final and wagered everything. Including the guy with a considerable lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDTxS9_CwZA

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They showed the 2nd episode last summer. Since the preview image spoils it completely, all of them missed the final and wagered everything. Including the guy with a considerable lead.

This video is great. The audience just yelling out stuff. Alex's "You mean the question!" The fact that they were all three declared to be losers who don't get to come back. I love it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A teen tournament game had a three way tie of 0. No one moved on, opening up a spot for the next best eliminated contestant who then won the whole thing with his “some dude in Normandy? Who cares I won 100k”

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

This video is great. The audience just yelling out stuff. Alex's "You mean the question!" The fact that they were all three declared to be losers who don't get to come back. I love it.

I'm on my phone so can't watch it, is this the one where Alex doesn't actually GIVE the right answer at some point and the producers start yelling at him to say what the answer really was? Because just LOL.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well tonight wasn't great lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Every time someone in third behind two tied contestants bets anything other than $0

I feel like I would put "who is your mother?" As my answer in that position

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m sure someone with an insurmountable lead hosed up and lost at least once.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m sure someone with an insurmountable lead hosed up and lost at least once.

It's never happened outside of that Cheers episode.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
there was one guy a couple years ago who overbet with the lead (more than once!) but never got punished for it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jeopardy doesn’t have enough embarrassing fuckups.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jeopardy doesn’t have enough embarrassing fuckups.

Wheel of Fortune has enough to cover both shows.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
IIRC Austin Rogers overbet on one of his episodes but then was the only one to get final right so it didn't matter.

edit: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5792

Yeah. He had $35,000 going into final, Amy had $18,600 and the third guy finished in the red so it was just the two of them. Austin bet $34,000 to finish with... $69,000.

Nice.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 13, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Katie Couric's performance puts me to sleep. I hate it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm pretty sure there have been at least a couple times the leader bet 0 on the final when it wasn't a runaway which is the wrong move but I don't think it's ever lost them the game.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Wow that was an easy loving clue too.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wow that was an easy loving clue too.

I dunno, in the 80s people hadn't yet lived through 2000 and all the "well, ACTUALLY, the new millenium doesn't start until January 1, 2001" :smugdog:

So it might not have been quite as easy as it seems in hindsight to us. But you would assume they'd stop and ponder why they would give a FJ clue with such an immediately "obvious" answer instead of all confidently writing Jan. 1, 1900.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Porfiriato posted:

But you would assume they'd stop and ponder why they would give a FJ clue with such an immediately "obvious" answer instead of all confidently writing Jan. 1, 1900.

Yeah this is what I mean. Whenever you get a clue that seemingly easy (certainly as a final) there's usually some "trick" to it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Porfiriato posted:

I dunno, in the 80s people hadn't yet lived through 2000 and all the "well, ACTUALLY, the new millenium doesn't start until January 1, 2001" :smugdog:

So it might not have been quite as easy as it seems in hindsight to us. But you would assume they'd stop and ponder why they would give a FJ clue with such an immediately "obvious" answer instead of all confidently writing Jan. 1, 1900.

Agreed, but want to add it was literally the second episode. It's a little unfair to expect 3 contestants who literally have the prior episode as their only point of reference, to expect a curveball, as compared to someone in Season 2 and beyond.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's honestly the best possible outcome for a second episode ever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A new quiz show has to have an episode where the contestants win and an episode where they eat poo poo to establish that it's capable of both.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Since it's barely relevant , Ken lost his Grammy shot to Rachel Maddow. Clearly, not enough payola given out by Sony

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Island Nation posted:

Ken lost his Grammy shot to Rachel Maddow.

lol

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Those overdubs when Katie read out the responses couldn't have been made any more painfully obvious. Is a sound person hazing her?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I was really surprised that everyone got the final. I knew they were referring to The Hunger Games right away, but I never would have gotten the name of the country. I've only seen the movies and haven't read the book, but I feel like that particular name didn't really penetrate the cultural counciousness like a lot of fictional settings have.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

My wife made fun of me for figuring out it was Hunger Games but now knowing the name of the country :(

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Jokymi posted:

I was really surprised that everyone got the final. I knew they were referring to The Hunger Games right away, but I never would have gotten the name of the country. I've only seen the movies and haven't read the book, but I feel like that particular name didn't really penetrate the cultural counciousness like a lot of fictional settings have.

Yeah, it was fairly easy to figure out the book(s) the clue was referring too, but it seems like you wouldn't know the country unless you've actually read the books. Unless the phrase panem et circenses is more well known than I think it is, in which case you could make a decent guess.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
y'all, it's been really tough catching jeopardy since i moved to oklahoma.

three-thirty in the afternoon over here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

y'all, it's been really tough catching jeopardy since i moved to oklahoma.

three-thirty in the afternoon over here.

Oof! I guess you got those Big Bang reruns at 6:30?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Heyyy that's my local news. :shobon:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Not only do I not know poo poo about Small Mammals apparently, they threw a bonus Small Mammal clue into DJ. I've also never heard of the right answer to Final. One of my worst showings in awhile, just like the contestants.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Not only do I not know poo poo about Small Mammals apparently, they threw a bonus Small Mammal clue into DJ. I've also never heard of the right answer to Final. One of my worst showings in awhile, just like the contestants.

I felt like earthrise was a particularly cruel clue.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They are inserting laughter for her jokes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That game was rear end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zesty posted:

That game was rear end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol I would be so mad if I got on the show and that was the final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol I would be so mad if I got on the show and that was the final.

Because it's too easy or too hard?