Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I assumed this was for a $100 or less budget. If you have more than that then yeah, a condenser mic would be preferred for piano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

d0grent posted:

I assumed this was for a $100 or less budget. If you have more than that then yeah, a condenser mic would be preferred for piano.

Yeah, that was the plan, just getting my feet wet with the cheapest decent jack of all trades as I'm basically starting from scratch regarding video and audio recording, but if that's too much of a compromise in sound quality, then maybe I'll postpone this purchase and go straight to a proper music-oriented mic at a later date.

I appreciate all the great answers, you've given me plenty of (expensive :ohdear:) options.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know that you have to spend a fortune, but it'd probably be worth waiting till you can splash more like $200-$300 on whatever. Do you have an audio interface you can use to XLR with phantom power?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

powderific posted:

Do you have an audio interface you can use to XLR with phantom power?

Nope, nothing like that!

It's not like I'd be giving a general purpose mic much use besides piano recording, since vaccination is going slowly around here, so yeah, I'll just wait and come back to ask more questions when I'm ready to spend more than a handful of bucks on this.

edit: I might still grab a shotgun for the hell of it and just return it if it's not a significant enough upgrade from what I'm using now

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

seravid posted:

Nope, nothing like that!

It's not like I'd be giving a general purpose mic much use besides piano recording, since vaccination is going slowly around here, so yeah, I'll just wait and come back to ask more questions when I'm ready to spend more than a handful of bucks on this.

edit: I might still grab a shotgun for the hell of it and just return it if it's not a significant enough upgrade from what I'm using now

Because I'm never content to let things be simple: you could pick up a USB condenser mic for like $35 on Amazon that seems to be decent if you're itching to do something now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

dakana posted:

Because I'm never content to let things be simple: you could pick up a USB condenser mic for like $35 on Amazon that seems to be decent if you're itching to do something now.

Interesting... Glad you decided to make things complicated! Seems like it should work with phones with a simple OTG adapter too, that's very convenient. I'm pulling the trigger on this one, will report back.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I need to get a negative/slide scanner that can handle larger than 35mm negatives. My dad shot a lot of photos on what I believe is a 70mm medium format camera and I would like to archive some of his work.

I'm looking for something that is high enough quality for personal archival use, but not necessarily professional display and that won't completely break the bank.

I know basically nothing about photography other than what I picked up secondhand from my father. I'm not looking for a list of features to look for, more a specific product to buy.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

70mm or 120 format film? does it have sprockets, or is it just a strip?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

I actually can't find any of his larger format negatives or prints right now, but I remember the film being on wide metal reels with sprocket holes and he used it in a rolleiflex camera.

He died rather suddenly and left me with a mountain of boxes of his work, I'd like to save at least some of the best of it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I need a grad ND filter for my MF film camera, and I would like to buy it once, rather than buy something flimsy/limiting only to upgrade later.

Since I have never used a grad ND filter, this question may seem silly: In most circular filters, the transition from transparent to ND is near the center. How much of an issue is this in scenes where the transition between bright and dark falls below the center of the image?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Cokin filters are pretty much designed with that in mind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Grad filters are rectangle shaped so you can slide the line of transition up and down to wherever you need it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Grad filters are rectangle shaped so you can slide the line of transition up and down to wherever you need it.

No, circular grad filters do exist. But the argument remains, stay away from them because they are limiting. Thanks.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Gangringo posted:

I actually can't find any of his larger format negatives or prints right now, but I remember the film being on wide metal reels with sprocket holes and he used it in a rolleiflex camera.

He died rather suddenly and left me with a mountain of boxes of his work, I'd like to save at least some of the best of it.

Sounds like the epson v700 750 800 850 is perfect. Its got twixe the scanning area as the 550 or 600 so you can grind through it faster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

No, circular grad filters do exist. But the argument remains, stay away from them because they are limiting. Thanks.

I misread what you were asking. I interpreted it you had only used circular filters and were moving to plate filters.

In my experience, there's no such thing as "buy once" for filters. You somehow never have exactly what you need, and if you aren't careful you're gonna have an entire bag full of the drat things.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

I misread what you were asking. I interpreted it you had only used circular filters and were moving to plate filters.

In my experience, there's no such thing as "buy once" for filters. You somehow never have exactly what you need, and if you aren't careful you're gonna have an entire bag full of the drat things.

I hear you. But it sounds like the rectangular filter is a better entry point than the screw-in kind. I really only need it for the occasional sunrise/set picture, so I don't expect to end up with a bag-full of these.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Sounds like the epson v700 750 800 850 is perfect. Its got twixe the scanning area as the 550 or 600 so you can grind through it faster.

Thank you. Normally I'm one to obsess and compare devices ad nauseam but at the moment I just want to get this done.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

theHUNGERian posted:

I hear you. But it sounds like the rectangular filter is a better entry point than the screw-in kind. I really only need it for the occasional sunrise/set picture, so I don't expect to end up with a bag-full of these.

For GNDs definitely go with a rectangular filter system. Like don't even consider screw on GNDs as an option (for just an ND, sure). Just applying a GND in post would be a better option than screw on (if you're shooting digital).

The question is which rectangular system to go with...there are many. Sounds like you should just go with one of the cheaper options as it's only for occasional use and you don't seem to be concerned with stacking filters, big stoppers (for long exposures, some system's 10 stop NDs have much worse color casting than others), polarizers, ultra wide angle lens (some systems handle those better than others regarding vignetting at the wide end), filter quality (e.g. glass vs resin), and speed/ease of setup/use (since this is just occasional use). Or are you? It can be a bit of a rabbit hole and can get expensive quick if you want to buy into one of the better systems (though if you are content to start with just a holder, filter thread adapter and a single GND filter as opposed to a multi-filter starter set, it might not be too bad even for the more expensive systems).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Splinter posted:

For GNDs definitely go with a rectangular filter system. Like don't even consider screw on GNDs as an option (for just an ND, sure). Just applying a GND in post would be a better option than screw on (if you're shooting digital).

The question is which rectangular system to go with...there are many. Sounds like you should just go with one of the cheaper options as it's only for occasional use and you don't seem to be concerned with stacking filters, big stoppers (for long exposures, some system's 10 stop NDs have much worse color casting than others), polarizers, ultra wide angle lens (some systems handle those better than others regarding vignetting at the wide end), filter quality (e.g. glass vs resin), and speed/ease of setup/use (since this is just occasional use). Or are you?

I am not (expect for filter quality; I would much rather have a glass filter as I don't have a high opinion of plastics). I am really just looking for one 2 stop grad ND filter for occasional use on a 6x7 film camera with normal-to-tele lenses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

I am not (expect for filter quality; I would much rather have a glass filter as I don't have a high opinion of plastics). I am really just looking for one 2 stop grad ND filter for occasional use on a 6x7 film camera with normal-to-tele lenses.

If you want to go all in, my feeling is that breakthrough photography is #1 right now. But they're perpetually on backorder, they were already a small slow company but the pandemic has hit them hard. Hitech is my #2. Lee is a close third.

Cokin is the brand that's been around forever and set the standard. I think they're ok, but if you hunt around a lot of people complain that they have a red color cast.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Crossposting, because he's been a favorite in this thread as well:

Yond Cassius posted:

Reddit Poop Guy is living his dreams!

I checked in on him out of pandemic boredom, and last month he bought an Intrepid 8x10. He says he'll be learning on Portra 160 5x7, so I assume he's using a reducing back to save money at first... except that Portra 160 is out of production on 5x7. Maybe he bought some dead stock from somewhere. I have no idea how this seemed like a good idea.

He has never shot a single frame of film before in his life.

He also still lives with his parents, having yet to find a steady day job.

This can only end well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My T5i has done the job fine for how often I break it out, but I'd like something with 4K video and online capabilities. I'm reading some mixed stuff about the SL3, any suggestions for a casual/enthusiast?

Whats the deal with "crop" on 4k video? Should I be looking at mirrorless? Whats the trade off there?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 29, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some cameras crop when taking video because they can't read off the sensor fast enough to take a full frame of video, so they just record whatever size the hardware can handle. The biggest annoyance this creates is the fake zoom you get when filming at a given focal length. It probably won't bother a casual videographer all that much (unless you like to shoot extremely wide angle with close subjects).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm comparing the M200 and M50 now. About a $220 CAD difference in them, identical sensors, apparently better battery life from the smaller camera despite relying on the screen more with the lack of a viewfinder which puzzles me. I've never used the microphone input before but I may. I feel like it would be harder focusing your shots relying on the little screen for previewing.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I think the 4k on the sl3 is also only 24p and doesn't use dual pixel af, besides the crop. Not great 4k either, and for 1080p an sl2 is just as good. The m50 mkii has the same 4k limitations. I think the d90/m6 mkii were also missing one feature or another for video shooters, and the quality of the 4k wasn't great, and for the price you could do better.

The m200 has pretty limited controls too, and doesn't even have a hotshoe, but if aren't really hands on they also make a good ef-m 22mm pancake which is a very compact package. I would probably just wait for a sale, or buy used/refurbished and get an m50 if the price difference really mattered and that was my choice.

If you can afford it and don't mind switching, a fujifilm x-s10 is a good hybrid camera, and has sensor based image stabilization. Also the x-t200 was a reasonable choice and down to $500 on sale, but I'm not sure they are available now.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
People complain a lot about cameras not having mic inputs (or headphone outs so you can monitor), but if you're going super serious mode with video, you're probably going to have a better time with a double-system recording style anyway (as in, recording audio to a dedicated audio recorder).

I guess there's a middle ground where you want better sound than the built-in mic, but don't want to go whole hog with external recording, but not having a mic input doesn't mean you're locked out of having good sound.

I do kinda wish Zoom (or someone else) would take another crack at the Q8 idea: a video camera with a focus on audio quality. A new version of this with a better sensor would be pretty dope. The video quality is just too far behind the curve at this point, though.

A better version of this would give you some of the advantages of double-system recording (full control of input levels on the fly; monitoring, etc.) plus the advantages of just having a good mic on the camera (convenience; not having to sync anything).

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 29, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm serious about video and I don't use an external recorder unless an actual sound recordist is running it, I need to have it hooked up to a board feed somewhere away from the camera, or I'm doing something with a lot of mics (that I probably should have a sound professional dealing with anyway.) The quality you get out of a videomic pro or similar into the mic input is worlds better than internal mics, which I don't usually find worthwhile for much other than a scratch/sync track, and having a mic input also opens up potential for wireless lavs and the like. There are enough good options with mic inputs that it seems worthwhile to just buy one of those cameras instead.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that the middle ground you reference is a pretty broad swath in my eyes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thing I'm concerned about with external audio (which I already have a setup for) is getting the two things in sync

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can slate, clap, use pluraleyes or other tools that use sound to sync, etc and it’s not that bad if it’s not a ton of stuff. But again, I don’t know why you’d want to subject yourself to that as a dabbler when there are cameras that just have a mic input you could use instead.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

codo27 posted:

The thing I'm concerned about with external audio (which I already have a setup for) is getting the two things in sync

It’s like a one click process in premiere. It compares the waveform from the crappy built-in mic to the good audio track and lines them up for you.

(There are situations where it can get more complex than that, but if we’re talking about a single camera and one audio track, it’s very easy.)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For me it would be doing covers and poo poo, I've always wanted to do multi instrument (or multi track/same instrument) covers. I think I could achieve that now with Resolve, just gotta get around to putting something together. Enough of this derail.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Magic Lantern is one thing to look into if you are interested in budget video. Lots of people doing cool things with the EOS M and the 5DMk3.

Also, in regards to audio, Canon does the annoying thing of boosting the audio when there is silence, and magic lantern lets you stop that, which means the on board audio is way less crap with a good mic.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I found out I'm receiving Arsenal 2 as a gift. I remember the kickstarter for the first one a few years back, but I thought it seemed kind of wonky or cheatyface. Do people here have any experience with it?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have kids ages 3 and 6. I’ve always been a photographer but haven’t taken a lot of video outside of iPhone. I’m looking to capture video memories at the next level. My phone is an iPhone 8, if it matters for reference. My stills are a Nikon D4 and D600. So I’m looking for:

Something that autofocuses and tracks fast moving objects with minimal effort in video.
Something where audio is adequate without an external mic (I’m not making the Snyder cut)
Something under $1500 with a lens (lenses)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. I don’t post here often, but y’all have your poo poo together with camera stuff and I appreciate it.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 7, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a Sony zv1? Might not be exactly what you had in mind, but for family stuff something pocketable can be nice and it has a better than average mic built in.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Is there any cheap, simple adapter from 95mm diameter lenses to 100mm filters?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

gschmidl posted:

Is there any cheap, simple adapter from 95mm diameter lenses to 100mm filters?

Are you talking about 100mm square filter holder systems?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

cerious posted:

Are you talking about 100mm square filter holder systems?

Yes and no, as mine only has adapter rings up to 72mm.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

powderific posted:

Maybe a Sony zv1? Might not be exactly what you had in mind, but for family stuff something pocketable can be nice and it has a better than average mic built in.

Oh that looks like it might be pretty good fit.
Does it autofocus automatically? Like I don’t have to keep touching the screen to focus or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The zv1 has sony's real time tracking autofocus which is really good. I think you can set it up to start tracking from the center point and avoid the touchscreen too, but for people it should handle face and eye detect automatically.

If the video quality of the zv1 is good enough a phone upgrade and gimbal might give you smoother footage handheld at similar image quality. There is also a dji pocket 2 which is a gimbal/small sensor compact combined into one device.

Also the fuji xs10 is a good photo/video camera for the price.