Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I've been playing Doom through on Nightmare and it really impresses me how they've made it feel more difficult without being tedious by avoiding the usual pitfall of increasing enemy health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm replaying Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal on my main computer, which just passed it's tenth birthday. I "cheated" (dramatically extended it's usefulness) by installing a GTX 1070 Ti to get around 200 frames per second.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 17, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Ready Player One is definitely popular with the type of nerd who never grew past the "I know that thing!" level. I see people gush about it way too often. Of course, any nerd who did grow past being satisfied to see action figures slam together absolutely despises it and are horrified at the depiction of a cultural dystopia that never outgrew an adolescence in the 1980s.

Authentically wondering this, is The Shining really part of the internet nerd zeitgeist? I'm aware of Kubrick's cult following but I always thought that was a boomer thing while the rest of Ready Player One is focused on gen x and millenials who played the various featured games as kids

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ready Player One is focused on people aren't that really anything, they just absord all of their knowledge from general pop culture osmosis, basing their entire understanding on references of references of parodies on clips of simpsons that they say on youtube

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

QuarkJets posted:

Authentically wondering this, is The Shining really part of the internet nerd zeitgeist? I'm aware of Kubrick's cult following but I always thought that was a boomer thing while the rest of Ready Player One is focused on gen x and millenials who played the various featured games as kids

Ready Player One is actually pretty lazy. I actually played all the Williams Electronics video games when they were NEW and I can promise you that, off the top of my head, Sinistar and Defender were the A list, while Joust was like, C or D list.

e: As far as 80's movies go, Aliens and Ghostbusters are far more part of Gen X than the Shining, which was actually released in 1980, but feels much more like a seventies movie.

e: It's difficult to believe that Mr. Cline actually lived though the eighties, because his writing has no substance at all.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 17, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
My unpopular opinion is that both new doom games are equally good in very different ways, neither fully surpassing the other but in fact complementing each other's existence. Firing up 2016 to just blast dudes with no strategy like a bulldozer and have the soundtrack louder than anything else kicks a lot of rear end.

Eternal is a great PvE arena shooter with really good level design. It doesn't really feel like a doom game is the main complaint I have about itm

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 17, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

My unpopular opinion is that both new doom games are equally good in very different ways, neither fully surpassing the other but in fact complementing each other's existence.

hell yeah

if you like Doom Eternal you will surely like Ratchet and Clank, they are extremely similar.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

Ready Player One is actually pretty lazy. I actually played all the Williams Electronics video games when they were NEW and I can promise you that, off the top of my head, Sinistar and Defender were the A list, while Joust was like, C or D list.

e: As far as 80's movies go, Aliens and Ghostbusters are far more part of Gen X than the Shining, which was actually released in 1980, but feels much more like a seventies movie.

The Ghostbusters was weird because while the movies are for adults they also went heavy into toy marketing for kids and released a bunch of cartoons, I guess some executive was like "their logo is a cartoon ghost, time to milk the poo poo out of this". So early millenials watching ducktales and thundercats were also getting a full dose of ghostbusters, weirdly enough

But yeah, The Shining? I guess millenials as kids could have gotten linked into that from that really good Simpsons parody, maybe?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

My unpopular opinion is that both new doom games are equally good in very different ways, neither fully surpassing the other but in fact complementing each other's existence. Firing up 2016 to just blast dudes with no strategy like a bulldozer and have the soundtrack louder than anything else kicks a lot of rear end.

Eternal is a great PvE arena shooter with really good level design. It doesn't really feel like a doom game is the main complaint I have about itm

Playing Doom 2016 and then following it up with Doom Eternal is like drinking a glass of nice wine and then slamming two shots of castor oil. To each their own, I guess!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Eternal gave you way too little ammo, the axe-dudes were extremely annoying to fight, and the enemy placement in the last few levels felt overcrowded and not thought out at all. Still a good game by normal standards, but disappointing compared to 2016.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The Ghostbusters was weird because while the movies are for adults they also went heavy into toy marketing for kids and released a bunch of cartoons, I guess some executive was like "their logo is a cartoon ghost, time to milk the poo poo out of this". So early millenials watching ducktales and thundercats were also getting a full dose of ghostbusters, weirdly enough

But yeah, The Shining? I guess millenials as kids could have gotten linked into that from that really good Simpsons parody, maybe?

Yeah, Ghostbusters is very strange to market to kids because it's basically a movie about starting a small business which just so happens to trap supernatural beings and accidentally save the world. It's very much adult subject matter in many ways.

e:i was 15 when it came out, so i understood some of what was going on; Ray's dream was pretty funny, but the mortgage joke flew right over my head.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 17, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Slimer was a main character in the Ghostbusters cartoons, he was like the team's Scooby-Doo. Imagine my surprise when I eventually saw the movie and Slimer is just some random ghost

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Slimer was a main character in the Ghostbusters cartoons, he was like the team's Scooby-Doo. Imagine my surprise when I eventually saw the movie and Slimer is just some random ghost

The Real Ghostbusters is a fairly clever way to market supernatural exterminators to children, and, yeah, seeing Slimer as a mascot was really odd.

e: Slimer's significance in the movie is that he/she/they are the first actual test of Egon's equipment, the unlicensed nuclear accelerator.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 17, 2021

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

QuarkJets posted:

I grew up playing with Star Wars action figures so I was disappointed when I watched the movies and Boba Fett flew into an alien's mouth and instantly died.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dads_work_files posted:

I grew up playing with Star Wars action figures so I was disappointed when I watched the movies and Boba Fett flew into an alien's mouth and instantly died.

yeah, Return of the Jedi kind of reduced Boba to almost slapstick level, which was a waste of a good character.

The Mandalorian fixed that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

QuarkJets posted:

the shining bit is just in the movie

in the book he like, recites wargames start to finish from memory or some stupid poo poo before rocking out a little rush guitar lick

e: now that i remember this it's time to hit the bottle

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

the shining bit is just in the movie

in the book he like, recites wargames start to finish from memory or some stupid poo poo before rocking out a little rush guitar lick

e: now that i remember this it's time to hit the bottle

lol that's kind of hilariously pathetic and a lot more believable thing for a millenial/genx hypernerd to do but I can see why they didn't put that in the movie

I guess Spielberg just inserted his own nostalgia as a substitute. "Hey fellow kids, remember the moon landing???"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I freaking love making a post itt and coming back to a sea of quotes and not reading them, thanks fellas and ladies

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I freaking love making a post itt and coming back to a sea of quotes and not reading them, thanks fellas and ladies

hey, no problem at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

WHAT THE FU-- Oh, right. Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread. Carry on, then!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
gently caress Joust, that game sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its got knights riding birds, whats with the hate?

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 17, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I don't HATE Joust, it's just that Sinistar and Defender are better games.

If we expand to other developers, like Capcom in the eighties, well, that's a completely different discussion.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 17, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Its got knights riding birds, whats with the hate?

Oh sure, people poo poo on the combat system Ys but give Joust a pass

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe If Adol rode a giant bird he wouldn't be stuck in a D tier franchise

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Eternal gave you way too little ammo, the axe-dudes were extremely annoying to fight, and the enemy placement in the last few levels felt overcrowded and not thought out at all. Still a good game by normal standards, but disappointing compared to 2016.

If you remember to immediately use the chainsaw as soon as the last pip of fuel regenerates, you'll have plenty of ammo to work with. However "remember to press a button every 10 seconds" is a garbage mechanic and I won't blame anyone for not doing it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe If Adol rode a giant bird he wouldn't be stuck in a D tier franchise

How loving dare you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm an old Millennial, my parents were neither particularly strict or permissive, and I saw Ghostbusters and stuff like Predator and Alien. They didn't let me watch slasher films. This was when all these PG 13 and R rated movies had toy lines. It just wasn't strange by the standard of the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor J Off posted:

BRB, going to pitch an idea to square to have an isometric turn based cRPG about Archie and the Riverdale gang teaming up with Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion to save the universe, which is made up of the memories of a dreaming Sailor Moon or whatever

I mean this is literally just a JRPG plot, down to the dumbass protagonist with at least two girls fighting over him for no readily explained reason.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I think they did The Shining in the movie because like pretty much everyone in Hollywood, Spielberg is a Kubrick stan. I have no real idea why Spielberg did Ready Player One though.

The internet nerd zeitgeist is stuff made to appeal to young boys.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone should be a Kubrick stan, Fucker had a 100% hit rate with his movies. A perfect director

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Everyone should be a Kubrick stan, Fucker had a 100% hit rate with his movies. A perfect director

Yes I would agree. I guess Spielberg is a tenth-level stan because he decided to make A.I., but the world be richer for whatever weirder and more beautiful thing Kubrick would have done with it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

2001: A Space Odyssey is still a masterpiece.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every movie he made was a masterpiece

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yes I would agree. I guess Spielberg is a tenth-level stan because he decided to make A.I., but the world be richer for whatever weirder and more beautiful thing Kubrick would have done with it.

According to the guy who Kubrick hired to write the story treatment (Ian Watson) Spielberg's version even including the ending is pretty faithful to what Kubrick envisioned.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

According to the guy who Kubrick hired to write the story treatment (Ian Watson) Spielberg's version even including the ending is pretty faithful to what Kubrick envisioned.
This ain't the Kubrick thread, but for as good as spielberg is when he's firing, Kubrick was just a transcendent director, he could've brought that mess to life in a way Spielberg never could. For example The Shining is a trash story by a trash author but Kubrick made it into a classic.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

This ain't the Kubrick thread, but for as good as spielberg is when he's firing, Kubrick was just a transcendent director, he could've brought that mess to life in a way Spielberg never could. For example The Shining is a trash story by a trash author but Kubrick made it into a classic.

Wasn't the original story of the shining about a literal ghost house built on an indian burial ground?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Workaday Wizard posted:

Wasn't the original story of the shining about a literal ghost house built on an indian burial ground?

That was a movie addition that was also basically hearsay in the film, IIRC.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Workaday Wizard posted:

Something like that, the ending had the the grass sculptures come to life and attack the family, and then the hotel explodes and kills jack. I think King was salty that Kubrick was able to cut through his poo poo story and make a beautiful and human tale, something he never managed to accomplish with his schlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
slice off the last half of most king stories and it turns into a decent thing