Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Simpsons is the guy making Borat "niiice" jokes ten years after the original came out.

That's very funny... NOT!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I'm attempting to watch the simpsons all the way through. I think I stopped watching at season 14 when it came out. Usually I stop around season 10 if I'm just watching it. I'm on season 15 and it has some decent gags once and a while but sheesh I'm not looking forward to the 2010s episodes.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I think around 2015 The Simpsons were officially launched in China, on the biggest free streaming service there. As I was living there at the time I was excited as I thought that'd be a great way to see some old Simpsons while practicing my Chinese reading the subs. Well, little did I know that they only started from season 26. By that point the last I've seen of the Simpsons was that awful MyPods episode some 10 years earlier. However my wife was like "oh I heard so much about the Simpsons, let's watch it!". Despite my warnings and better judgement we watched the first episode of S26 which was a treehouse of horror with some boring Clockwork Orange parody. We were so bored out of our minds, and my wife swore to never have anything ever to do with The Simpsons ever again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Congrats on your sane wife

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My :siren:SANE WIFE:siren:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Ashmole posted:

I'm attempting to watch the simpsons all the way through. I think I stopped watching at season 14 when it came out. Usually I stop around season 10 if I'm just watching it. I'm on season 15 and it has some decent gags once and a while but sheesh I'm not looking forward to the 2010s episodes.

This is a cry for help. Please contact a therapist.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think a good rule for the Simpsons is to definitely stop watching when they make the switch from cel animation to digital ink and paint (the Radioactive Man Movie doesn't count - that was an early experiment). Beyond that point lies madness.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think a good rule for the Simpsons is to definitely stop watching when they make the switch from cel animation to digital ink and paint (the Radioactive Man Movie doesn't count - that was an early experiment). Beyond that point lies madness.

Woah, is that why the colours and linework all look off on that one? I just figured it was because they'd somehow damaged the original and used a copy that came with those flaws or something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'd say if you see an episode with Gil in it, you've gone too far

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ashmole posted:

please do not self harm :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just pretend that Behind the Laughter was the series finale.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

multijoe posted:

I'd say if you see an episode with Gil in it, you've gone too far

He was pretty great as a one-off / straight parody in the real estate agent episode where he debuted.

As with many one-off characters though, that's where they should have left him

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
One shot stu don't advertise

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Iron Crowned posted:

Just pretend that Behind the Laughter was the series finale.

I'd argue for The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson. Was rewatching recently and season 9 gets rough fast. Would mean losing Cartridge Family and Lisa's Sax, but also dodges The Principal and the Pauper and All Singing, All Dancing.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'd argue for The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson. Was rewatching recently and season 9 gets rough fast. Would mean losing Cartridge Family and Lisa's Sax, but also dodges The Principal and the Pauper and All Singing, All Dancing.

Season 9 and 10 have major issues but you are losing a lot of really great gags cutting them out completely. Behind the Laughter works best as an endpoint mostly because I think it’s easier to argue that there is almost nothing of value after Season 11.

Even though the Behind the Music parody would be totally lost on people today (I swear that show was on TV constantly) a whole episode that is self-referential, boundary pushing, and a big gently caress you to the entertainment industry at large was relatively new territory and refreshing for the show at the time. It just makes a lot of sense for me as a series finale and in my brain it will always be the unofficial end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

He was pretty great as a one-off / straight parody in the real estate agent episode where he debuted.

As with many one-off characters though, that's where they should have left him

It was also the last episode Lionel Hutz appeared in, a real passing of the guard from the good era to the bad

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

womb with a view posted:

Woah, is that why the colours and linework all look off on that one? I just figured it was because they'd somehow damaged the original and used a copy that came with those flaws or something.

Yeah, it was an early attempt at doing digital ink and paint.

Part of why it took so long for the Simpsons to switch was that they couldn't get the look right, since things do end up looking very different between the two, especially with regards to colors.

There's nothing inherently wrong with digital ink and paint - there are some effects that come off differently, and you get a flatter picture - but then if you need to do any reediting, your life gets so much easier. I think it was Bruce Timm talking about Justice League where they had to retime a scene and there were torches in the background, and because they did it digitally, they could just loop the torches and retime the dialog and it looked perfect.

If you want other examples - the episode of King of the Hill where Bobby Hill kicks people in the balls is the first episode to be entirely digital ink and paint, although the show remained cel animation for another season or two after the fact (the other fully digital ink and paint episode is the one where they're in the Mega-lo Mart after it closes with the cast of that 70s Show). Cowboy Bebop was primarily cel, though any shot with digital effects used digital ink and paint. However, Pierre Le Fou and Brain Scratch are entirely digital ink and paint. Funnily enough, the movie was done primarily using cels, which made it a pretty late release to do that.

This transitional period fascinates me. It's curious to see how it changed, and when it changed. As far as I can find, the last major American animated film to use cels was Beavis and Butthead Do America. Major is an important caveat there. Japan still used cels until around 2003-2004, which is also when the last American television shows that used cels switched over (at that point, I think it was the Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Ed, Edd & Eddy). I think Sazaesan was the last show to use cels - they switched in 2015 I think. But that show was always old fashioned. Studio Ghibli switched to digital ink and paint with My Neighbors the Yamadas because Miyazaki was really impressed with the quality of the shots that they colored digitally in Princess Mononoke (which was primarily a cel affair).

I don't know what value any of this has - but I know it.

Edit: Disney theatrically switched with the Rescuers Down Under, but their TV output still used cels for a while. So Aladdin the movie is digital, the TV show is cel.

You need to know this.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 16, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I will die on the hill that the Principal and The Pauper is a good episode.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

You need to know this.

I did! That was actually really interesting. It's weird to think they'd experimented with it that early! I'd never have guessed the THAT'S MY PURSE episode was the first for KOTH.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

It absolutely is and I’ve never understood the hate for it. It was actually one of the first episodes I saw back in the day because for a while I wasn’t allowed to watch as a kid. I thought the ending was one of the funniest things I had ever seen on television. Also I’d say it’s still a good show for several seasons after that, not as good as the golden age but still funny and enjoyable to watch. Like, season 12 isn’t anywhere near as bad as modern Simpsons. It was a pretty slow decline.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The last good episode was Trilogy of Error. "Don't worry, it's inflammable!" is a classic bit.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Is Trilogy of Error the one with Spellulon the Grammar Robot or whatever? I've never seen that episode all the way through, but I walked into the room and caught the bit where the robot's severed head lands near Homer and the delivery of the line was so bad I think it was the last time I ever watched the Simpsons on TV.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Like, season 12 isn’t anywhere near as bad as modern Simpsons. It was a pretty slow decline.

It wasn't as bad as modern Simpsons but it was a huge difference from how good the show had been just 3 years earlier. It was really bad in that context. I've gone back and watched some season 11/12 stuff and been surprised that it was a bit funnier than I remember -- at least a few good jokes even in the really bad episodes.

There was just a significant quality dropoff, season over season, from season 8 onward. The biggest, most noticeable dropoffs were around 10-12. After that, it was just a more steady death march to the state it's in now.

dads_work_files posted:

Is Trilogy of Error the one with Spellulon the Grammar Robot or whatever? I've never seen that episode all the way through, but I walked into the room and caught the bit where the robot's severed head lands near Homer and the delivery of the line was so bad I think it was the last time I ever watched the Simpsons on TV.

Linguo, yeah. I don't know why people bring it up as a good episode during the death throes of the show. It was not very good, it was just less offensively awful than the episodes immediately prior to it.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 16, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Trilogy of Error gets carried by its moderately ambitious and creative concept. There's a few jokes that range from okay to decent but nothing on par with classic seasons aside from maybe the imflammable bit.

Principal and the Pauper is almost the reverse, honestly. It's got some pretty good jokes, but the concept of the episode sours it in the minds of the fans.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one doesn't even have a framing device, it just plows right into Homer being a teen in the 1990s. He says "What's the haps pop diggity?" to Abe, who is putting vodka in his cereal and whom I envy. Homer aspires to be a DJ.

Watch this if you want to cringe so hard your skeleton jumps out of your skin.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1371306490619920385

He works at a pizza place run by Gil where he runs the robot band. A malfunctioning robot gives him the opportunity to perform, and his raps about premium toppings increase sales. Gil tells him to reprogram the robots to do modern parodies, but on the night of his big premiere, the FBI raids the place because it's a drug front.

Matt Selman thinks this animation of cocaine exploding everywhere is good for some reason.

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1371298163919712259

Gil gets dragged away screaming insane coke things. It cuts to future where Homer is lamenting to the family the loss of the robot band. The kids want to make Homer feel better so they go find Gil at the local homeless encampment under the bridge. This is played as a joke because haha Gil is homeless except it looks just like homeless encampments in my city so it's actually very depressing. Gil gives them a list of the robot locations because he plans to open a new kiddie pizza place and sell better drugs there.

One of the robots is a Disco Stu's. It's revealed his parents are Do-wop Dave and Public Domain Debbie. Moe is helping and he for some reason does a Columbo parody to discover Sideshow Mel is keeping one as a sex robot. The kids find the last robot being carted off for JJ Abrams, who is in town shooting a movie where Springfield is standing in for Somalia. His assistants keep him in constant supply of kitsch.

Abrams is taken by Homer's story and decides to make the robots the stars of a 9-movie franchise. Abrams is surprisingly game to play the villain here; all his assistants fear him and he steals the robots back from Homer.

While eating his feelings at Krusty Burger, he runs into Comic Book Guy, who suggests he join the online trolls to tank the movie. There's a montage of him trolling for a year to no effect.

Abrams thanks the overworked and underpaid effects houses at the movie opening in a gag I like:

https://twitter.com/mikepriceinla/status/1371256077401096203

Homer crashes the opening and says it'll ruin his childhood but then Abe shows up to say that's impossible because he already ruined it. They share a hug while Homer says he hates him.

It ends on a superhero team introduction narrated by Comic Book Guy about the trolls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

One of the robots is a Disco Stu's. It's revealed his parents are Do-wop Dave and Public Domain Debbie. Moe is helping and he for some reason does a Columbo parody to discover Sideshow Mel is keeping one as a sex robot. The kids find the last robot being carted off for JJ Abrams, who is in town shooting a movie where Springfield is standing in for Somalia. His assistants keep him in constant supply of kitsch.

If someone changed the names, I would have believed this was a 10+ year old episode of South Park. Which is probably about the time that show turned into background white noise for me too.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That um... that... *clears throat*... well that certainly was an animation... thing.

Holy poo poo and this show just got renewed for two more seasons :psyduck:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looking forward to Zoomer Homer in a few years.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New Simpsons and JJ Abrams. A combination described by Satan as "the beginning of a new era in demonic torture."

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Are there worse US TV shows than the Simpsons?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

spaceblancmange posted:

One of the reasons that The Simpsons can keep coasting for so long is because there's always worse US tv shows.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

This poo poo seem to be approaching Tim Allen Comedy Vehicle #17 levels of bad though

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

spaceblancmange posted:

It's on par with most bottom of the barrel US sitcoms a la big bang theory. The quality difference is negligible. Once you're scraping the bottom of the barrel it's hard to judge. It's like asking if getting your hand or your foot slammed in a car door is worse. They're both bad, but bad in different ways.

And I'd rather watch a new Simpsons episode than any of the new star trek shows, but that's more of a personal hatred. Now that I think about it, they both suffer from similar problems. New trek fails at being good star trek. New Simpsons fails at being good Simpsons. They both resemble something classic and beloved but don't do the source material justice.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 17, 2021

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Iron Crowned posted:

It would have made a lot more sense if the guy claiming to be the real Skinner was some lunatic/con artist instead of actually being him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Up yours, children!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The bits with Skinner trying to be a no good street punk outweigh any problems I have with the episode.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The ending of the entire town preferring the fake Skinner and running the real one out of town on a rail is so cynical, I love it.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I still maintain that these awful modern episodes aren't quite as bad at that edgy era (around seasons 14-20 maybe?) of "girls are bad at math" and "Homer gets raped by a panda" episodes. These are awful but at least they don't make me furious. Just tired, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 00s edgy period was pretty cringe all round.