Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's funny how bad these phases ended up working out, at least in PA. Like we're still technically in 1A right now but pretty much anybody can get a vaccine at this point. It feels like we're probably a week or two away from them just skipping from 1A immediately to "Okay everyone can get a vaccine gogogogogo!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Got my first jab (Pfizer). It was...weird. I was all braced for the Tetanus type experience but I barely felt the needle at all. Maybe the slightest of pricks. I don't really feel that different yet other than a sudden urge to buy Office 365.

I'm wondering how long if at all it will be before I feel effects from this. A lot of people say they don't feel much from the first but do from the second. My second shot will be in 4 weeks.

I got my first Pfizer dose last week and the only side effect I had was the injection site was kind of sore the next day.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

explosivo posted:

It's funny how bad these phases ended up working out, at least in PA. Like we're still technically in 1A right now but pretty much anybody can get a vaccine at this point. It feels like we're probably a week or two away from them just skipping from 1A immediately to "Okay everyone can get a vaccine gogogogogo!!!"

Here in Illinois we went from 1A, to 1B, to 1B Plus, and maybe we'll eventually get to 1C.

What the hell is "Phase 2" then? What is with this "1... 2... 2 and a half... 2 and three quarters" bullshit?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

That's basically what's happening in Ohio. We were doing a stupid phase system where it was basically just based on age or tiny list of very rare conditions. Then out of nowhere this week they announce at the end of the month everyone over 16 can get it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I posted this elsewhere and forgot to here

*trip report on shot 2*

Sunday I was sore in every conceivable joint to include my whole spine. Felt chills in the morning, bad headache. That's pretty much it. I spent the day sleeping, I feel like I got lucky that was all. The soreness was intense, but again I didn't move much so it probably could have felt worse.

Yay, just glad I got the thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Here in Illinois we went from 1A, to 1B, to 1B Plus, and maybe we'll eventually get to 1C.

What the hell is "Phase 2" then? What is with this "1... 2... 2 and a half... 2 and three quarters" bullshit?

It is definitely on the honor system right now though. I qualified for 1B Plus but when I signed up they just said that I affirmed I qualified and then never actually checked ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

muscles like this! posted:

It is definitely on the honor system right now though. I qualified for 1B Plus but when I signed up they just said that I affirmed I qualified and then never actually checked ever.

I qualified for 1B , essential worker , and I had all my documentation but no one ever checked it. Was kind of dissapointed as I went through the effort of getting all the documentation and never used it.

I think Illinois is going to open it to all in April , we're already at 4 million shots and they've opened up several mass vaccination sites here in Chicago.

I just won't be surprised when they open it up to every one here soon.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
back from the dead, got my 1st moderna dose today. it was horrible. i screamed and thrashed around, there was blood everywhere.
then they forced me into a chair and stuck a needle in my arm. i thought i was gonna die.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest part is when I signed up they had these really granular appointment times in like six minute intervals. It took me less time to get there than I thought so I was early but they just went ahead and gave it to me anyway.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I now qualify but can’t find a shot to be had in San Mateo County in CA. Can’t find it in SF, where my office is, either. Anybody know of good tools for automatically checking for available slots for this area? Manually clicking around is a pain.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

They kept apologizing for how poo poo the needles were lol. It was really wholesome and all I could say was "it's a shot, I really don't care I've had worse"

Meanwhile the old rear end dude cross the room didn't even know why he was there or what the shot even was for.

10/10 would vaccinate again

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
I had an interesting side effect from the Pfizer shot. I'm normally weirdly allergic to one of our dogs (as in, if I play with him I almost instantly break out in huge, itchy hives - they go away rapidly, but the effect is very pronounced); since getting the shot yesterday, that response has been almost entirely gone.

Presumably my overactive immune system is busying itself with ramping up antibody production and has no time or energy for other things. That's kind of nice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

The funniest part is when I signed up they had these really granular appointment times in like six minute intervals. It took me less time to get there than I thought so I was early but they just went ahead and gave it to me anyway.

NY does 15 minute intervals but because it takes like five tops they really gave no shits that I was forty five minutes early, it ruled. I was out 15 minutes before I was supposed to be there.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
shot in the arm and you're to blame
you give vaccinations a bad name

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

learnincurve posted:

Fun fact: In the U.K. they have found that the statistics show that you are way less likely to be hospitalised with covid if you smoke/toke/vape and it’s because of two reasons, firstly the smell keeps strangers on the street 2m away, and secondly there is a visual aid showing how far your breath can travel when you exhale smoke/vape so people go “gwah!” and step back
lmao

Reminds me of this:
https://twitter.com/ethicistforhire/status/1237319901880168449?s=20

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Castaign posted:

I had an interesting side effect from the Pfizer shot. I'm normally weirdly allergic to one of our dogs (as in, if I play with him I almost instantly break out in huge, itchy hives - they go away rapidly, but the effect is very pronounced); since getting the shot yesterday, that response has been almost entirely gone.

Presumably my overactive immune system is busying itself with ramping up antibody production and has no time or energy for other things. That's kind of nice.

You should probably report that if you haven't already.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

There Bias Two posted:

You should probably report that if you haven't already.

I hadn't even considered that, but yes, you're right. I'll let the local DPH who administered the shot know.

Any place else where it would make sense to report this?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got a text today from the Milwaukee VA saying "Hey, we're opening shots to any veterans getting care here from now until the 19th. Respond if you want it." I responded and within like 20 seconds they got back to me asking when I can come in. I have a dentist appointment up there tomorrow so I just said an hour after that begins and they said "You're scheduled. Come in then."

That was crazy.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got a text today from the Milwaukee VA saying "Hey, we're opening shots to any veterans getting care here from now until the 19th. Respond if you want it." I responded and within like 20 seconds they got back to me asking when I can come in. I have a dentist appointment up there tomorrow so I just said an hour after that begins and they said "You're scheduled. Come in then."

That was crazy.

Nice! I'm happy to hear that you're going to be able to get it; I know things have been rough for you recently, and I'm glad that there's at least a small bright spot for you in this shitshow. Cheers to the hope of a high level of immunity and no side effects!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
South Korean government is now having a mandatory round of covid tests for all foreigners in the next week under penalty of a $3k fine.

Yes, it is only for foreigners and not their Korean coworkers.

No, they didn't plan for the increased traffic to testing sites.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/03/113_305544.html

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Castaign posted:

Nice! I'm happy to hear that you're going to be able to get it; I know things have been rough for you recently, and I'm glad that there's at least a small bright spot for you in this shitshow. Cheers to the hope of a high level of immunity and no side effects!

:glomp:

I'm not sure what version they have. Another goon in here mentioned that they have a few. I'll ask before I get it. Hopefully the side effects aren't too bad.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Castaign posted:

I hadn't even considered that, but yes, you're right. I'll let the local DPH who administered the shot know.

Any place else where it would make sense to report this?

You might want to sign up for the CDC v-safe checker if you haven't already. It asks you about side effects.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Zugzwang posted:

The inability to say "trust the CDC/WHO" was one of the more frustrating parts of much of the pandemic, especially when they were refusing to acknowledge community transmission early on, then taking a while to recommend masks, then taking even longer to acknowledge that the virus is airborne. What was an informed layperson really able to say? "I know what I'm talking about more than all those doctors?"

I dont think the CDC or WHO were refusing to acknowledge community transmission early on. China was refusing it early on, and it might have been because they weren't sure yet or (most likely in my opinion) they knew and were covering it up. But that early on when the virus was only in China the CDC and WHO only had what China told them to go off of. By the time the virus spread to other countries it was pretty clear it was communally spreading.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

You might want to sign up for the CDC v-safe checker if you haven't already. It asks you about side effects.

Will do, thanks!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Online bookings for vaccination have finally opened up. No places near me are offering it at the moment and I have my flu vaccine booked for next week so I will just keep checking back.

If you're an Aussie in phase 1b, enter your details here and it will bring up a list of places giving vaccinations and how to book them.

https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/eligibility

Lolie fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 17, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reports coming out that back my gut feeling that the reason Wrestlemania ticket sales didn’t happen today as was planned is because they’re going to try book the stadium to capacity. So about 80-90 thousand people in Tampa this April.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reports coming out that back my gut feeling that the reason Wrestlemania ticket sales didn’t happen today as was planned is because they’re going to try book the stadium to capacity. So about 80-90 thousand people in Tampa this April.

[coronavirus pulls off its mask] IT'S ME AUSTIN

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Illinois goons where are you even signing up? My wife tried signing up through a hospital nearby and through the county and hasn't heard anything back.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Had the first Pfizer shot the other week and all I got was a sore arm, headache, and felt like what I'd describe as "mild to moderate hangover" the next day. Second one is gonna fuckin rock me isn't it?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Fenarisk posted:

Illinois goons where are you even signing up? My wife tried signing up through a hospital nearby and through the county and hasn't heard anything back.

Walgreens is pretty much entirely on the honor system. Their website checks if there are appointment slots near you. If there are, you can "submit to an eligibility check". You have to make an online Walgreens account, which sucks but whatever, but then all you have to do is answer yes to one of "Did you get a vaccine code? Are you 65+? Are you a healthcare/education worker? Do you have a chronic condition?" and it'll let you book an appointment.

Assuming the website doesn't glitch out and screw you out of the week's slots, of course.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FiskTireBoy posted:

I dont think the CDC or WHO were refusing to acknowledge community transmission early on. China was refusing it early on, and it might have been because they weren't sure yet or (most likely in my opinion) they knew and were covering it up. But that early on when the virus was only in China the CDC and WHO only had what China told them to go off of. By the time the virus spread to other countries it was pretty clear it was communally spreading.

WHO were more than happy to boost that signal, and when it became super obvious that community transmission was happening after all pretty much immediately after they released that statement the reaction was "WHO can't be trusted, they're China's puppet". It made it super easy for Trump and the MAGAts to undermine public confidence in medical authorities.

Early on the WHO and CDC also recommended that people don't need to wear face masks, and occasionally went as far as to say that they make people more susceptible to infection.

The CDC may have have ****secret reasons**** for releasing statements like that (supposedly heading off a facemask hoarding frenzy so that hospitals could get all the N95s they needed, which is horse poo poo for a number of reasons) but that just eroded public confidence in them as a medical authority and hosed up pandemic mitigation efforts across the globe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The WHO had also endorsed traditional Chinese medicine like a year before, which didn’t help their credibility at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The CDC just released a review of their performance at the start of the pandemic

quote:

A review of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Covid-19 guidance has found that some of the agency's guidance during the Trump administration was not grounded in science or free from undue influence, according to a statement from a CDC spokesperson.
The review found that some guidance "used less direct language than available evidence supported," "needed to be updated to reflect the latest scientific evidence" and "presented the underlying science base for guidance inconsistently," according to the spokesperson.
Additionally, the review identified three documents that were not primarily authored by the CDC and yet were presented as CDC documents, according to the spokesperson. The agency has removed two of the documents from its website, and updated and replaced the third.

The review was ordered by President Joe Biden's CDC director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, in response to concerns about some of the agency's guidance during the first year of the pandemic under the Trump administration.

quote:

The Trump administration repeatedly butted heads with its own medical advisers on the nature and subsequent public messaging of the ongoing pandemic. As early as February 2020, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, a top CDC vaccination expert, warned that the virus could bring severe disruption to American life, affecting schools and businesses, and told people to get ready at the same time Trump was reassuring the nation that the virus was "going to go away" and was "very well under control."
The effects of the clash were stark, with Trump appointees often taking the upper hand. Michael Caputo — a close Trump ally who served as a top official in the Department of Health and Human Services — was accused by critics of politicizing the CDC and the HHS response to the coronavirus pandemic. CNN reported in September that Caputo and his team had demanded to see weekly science reports out of the CDC before they were released, with some HHS communications officials pushing to change the reports' language so as not to undermine Trump's political message. In response to that assertion, Caputo criticized the CDC with conspiratorial accusations.
In October, sources told CNN's Jake Tapper that Messonnier was told to "lay low" as Trump downplayed the threat of the coronavirus. The Trump White House stopped CDC briefings on the pandemic last March after Messonnier warned of worsening spread and disruptions, angering the then-President.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/15/politics/cdc-guidance-trump-administration-review/index.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The CDC just released a review of their performance at the start of the pandemic

I looked up the documents at issue. The Reopening America PDF is a naked political document that should never have been linked by CDC, but it gets more insidious.

The testing page was edited to discourage individuals from getting tested, in what I can only assume was an attempt to cook the books on numbers that made Trump look worse, because it’s clearly bad public health policy.

”The Importance of Reopening America’s Schools this Fall” is the highlight. This document is a real piece of poo poo justifying cramming kids into classrooms for nebulous benefits while downplaying all risks.

This document got many title changes, eventually to the sanitized “Operating Schools”, but its bad guidance persisted into February of this year.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 17, 2021

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ha, funny:
... When used alone...

If you are the only person wearing a (non ffp2) mask in a crowd it won't protect you much. That's actually true.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 17, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My crabby old mate glued an antler to the end of his walking stick and prods people with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hopper posted:

If you are the only person wearing a (non ffp2) mask in a crowd it won't protect you much. That's actually true.

:kstare:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:glomp:

I'm not sure what version they have. Another goon in here mentioned that they have a few. I'll ask before I get it. Hopefully the side effects aren't too bad.

From all the messages I got, I thought the VA was rolling deep in Moderna vaccines across the board.

The VA is the only reason I was able to get my loving shots before late summer at best, glad you got in!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hopper posted:

Ha, funny:
... When used alone...

There's been a whole lot of these announcements and recommendations which have been technically correct as worded (or at least technically correct according to the data they had available at the time if they cherrypicked their sources and ignored other studies) but absolutely the worst possible advice:

- there's no evidence of human-to-human transmission (evidence soon became super obvious)

- facemasks alone won't protect you (but they WILL protect others FROM you, so everyone should be wearing them. Also half face and full face respirators do offer protection)

- the virus is not spread via aerosols (according to a very narrow scientific definition from a 1930s study, but in the real world there's practically no difference in many cases)

- there's no evidence that spread is occurring in schools (because we didn't perform surveillance testing on school children, or because we created our models when schools were closed)

- 3' distancing in schools is just as good as 6' distancing in schools (because we're not testing kids anyway, plus 6' distance was already inadequate)

The "spread doesn't occur in schools" line was particularly bad, there's been a few studies out of Europe lately where they actually went and tested kids to see if it was happening and surprise surprise the spread in schools is just as bad as the spread everywhere else in the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want some good news, since the schools went back here last week tests have gone up 42.2%. Out of 8,921,866 people tested only around 500 positive results were from schools via rapid testing and they got caught before they walked in the door.