Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I don’t think Tekno Team 2000 even had any mic time or vignettes to establish their characters. They had a handful of appearances in summer 1995 then disappeared and had an even briefer heel run in 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Chris Champion and Sean Royal were The New Breed in FCW/Crockett back in 1986-1987, a very loosely Back to the Future inspired gimmick who claimed to be from the future of 2002 where Dusty Rhodes was president.

They also talked a lot about stuff like drinking Energon and other Transformers references which was very weird to a young Dawgstar who passionately followed both franchises.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

They also talked a lot about stuff like drinking Energon and other Transformers references which was very weird to a young Dawgstar who passionately followed both franchises.
And they exercised in a "physitron," a machine that would give them a full workout in seconds!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Red posted:

1. I forgot about Asya or Aysa or whatever, I assume she died of a mysterious heart attack at 35

Worse, she lived and married Dale Torborg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hey Bix, did you and Kris ever find out why Koko B Ware tuned that one job guy in Memphis so hard?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I found out not too long ago that Bill Watts' failson was one half of Tekno Team 2000 lol

Oddly, while he was overused, he had good moments in TNA. At some point, he developed the ability to promo semi-competently, even if it was much too late.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

collocation posted:

Oddly, while he was overused, he had good moments in TNA. At some point, he developed the ability to promo semi-competently, even if it was much too late.

Somewhat distracting was him dressing in JNCO's like a lost Hardy Brother

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mob posted:

Worse, she lived and married Dale Torborg

Holy poo poo is he still alive too?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’ve been into this poo poo for 24 years and today is the day I learned about New Breed. Wrestling is loving awesome.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TheKingslayer posted:

Holy poo poo is he still alive too?

Dale Torborg - Strength and Conditioning Coordinator ...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dale-torborg-8692659

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well I'll be damned. Good for him.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hey Bix, did you and Kris ever find out why Koko B Ware tuned that one job guy in Memphis so hard?
No. We're pretty sure he just deciding to be more abusive than usual, but he had a habit of doing that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

davidbix posted:

And they exercised in a "physitron," a machine that would give them a full workout in seconds!

And they were managed by a robot!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What are some gimmicks where you can't imagine what the appeal was supposed to be? Like normally you can sort of get what they were aiming for if you squint hard enough, but then there's like, the Ding Dongs where the whole thing is that they have bells on them. I can't even imagine what creative was trying to do there.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

What are some gimmicks where you can't imagine what the appeal was supposed to be? Like normally you can sort of get what they were aiming for if you squint hard enough, but then there's like, the Ding Dongs where the whole thing is that they have bells on them. I can't even imagine what creative was trying to do there.

The Fat Chick Thriller Mike Awesome.

Like, what the gently caress?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Ding Dongs were meant to appeal to children.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was going to say Bastion Booger, but I guess I can see "Boo the nasty fat guy" if you squint hard enough. I got nothing on Mike Awesome

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The gimmick WCW used once as a tie in to a movie about Nicholas Cage investigating a snuff film.

Total 180, but was Tugboat supposed to appeal to kids? Because I otherwise don't get it.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 17, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bastion Booger was another in a long line of the entire point of the gimmick being Vince McMahon trying to shame or embarrass a wrestler for being "too fat". Other examples include Adrian Adonis wearing a dress, Vader calling himself "a big fat piece of poo poo", Mark Henry turning heel on D'Lo Brown for wanting him to lose weight which segued directly into Sexual Chocolate, etc.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Naked Mideon and Necrophiliac Kane come to mind as high on the WTF-o-meter.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I got nothing on Jameson either. Besides Vince McMahon, who was that possibly even supposed to be aimed at?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The gimmick WCW used once as a tie in to a movie about Nicholas Cage investigating a snuff film.

Excuse me what?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jameson was a local New York City comic who I think Vince saw on a talk show and thought was hilarious

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I got nothing on Jameson either. Besides Vince McMahon, who was that possibly even supposed to be aimed at?

Pretty sure it's an instance of Vince making fun of his own fanbase.

Jameson is effectively how he and his idiot cronies see us, except he's pre-internet. But I doubt the basic idea has changed much.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

Excuse me what?

"The Machine", famous for his one televised match with DDP where he shrieked like a golden eagle when he lept off the corner to crotch himself on the rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshCWl3Jkyk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

"The Machine", famous for his one televised match with DDP where he shrieked like a golden eagle when he lept off the corner to crotch himself on the rope

Yeah, I believe the movie was called 9MM?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TheKingslayer posted:

The Fat Chick Thriller Mike Awesome.

Like, what the gently caress?

It was funny to Vince Russo.

And Awesome was cousins with Horace, who's a Hogan, and Russo had a thing with Hogan, so Awesome thought that was a big part of it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Double Post

Red fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 17, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Ding Dongs were meant to appeal to children.
In what way though? Were kids notably into bells at the time? It just seems like such a random rear end-pull. Like, OK, Max Moon is a walking Hasbro figure because GI Joe and Transformers and He-Man had weird characters, but KID LIKE LOUD NOISE isn't even cashing in on anything.

DeathChicken posted:

I think you 100% answered your own question there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, I believe the movie was called 9MM?

8mm

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

In what way though? Were kids notably into bells at the time? It just seems like such a random rear end-pull. Like, OK, Max Moon is a walking Hasbro figure because GI Joe and Transformers and He-Man had weird characters, but KID LIKE LOUD NOISE isn't even cashing in on anything.

Jim Herd.

He just thought bright colors and loud noises would appeal to kids. That's literally it. Here's a link to WrestleCrap: http://wrestlecrap.com/inductions/induction-dingdongs/

Also: Herd thought Ric Flair should be repackaged as Spartacus (to gel with Turner's film library and stuff), and that a team of wrestling Hunchbacks was clever because their shoulders wouldn't be able to touch the mat and get pinned.

Edit: I'm dying at this match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHcMK3a4Vj8

Why would they ring the bell non-stop and act/wrestle like insane people unless they were meant to be... heels? Imagine if their interviews were just constant high-fives and screaming DING DING DING DING.

Red fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 17, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Alaois posted:

Holy poo poo. I love that movie but what the gently caress?

This is stupid on the level of Chucky feuding with Rick Steiner.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

I think you 100% answered your own question there.

The original concept was pretty different from what we got according to Herd. Beyond the Hunchback thing I don't think they were going to actually wear bells, I think originally they would have a giant bell with them that they would ring kind of obnoxiously like a kid might? It's one of those things Herd talked about on his WOL appearances but it has been years and years since I listened. The original concept is still stupid but you can kind of see how he thought it might be a good idea before it became what it was. Herd is totally self deprecating during those appearances and non-defensive so I can buy that the Ding Dongs were not at all what he intended, which was another different stupid idea.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Red posted:

Also: Herd thought Ric Flair should be repackaged as Spartacus (to gel with Turner's film library and stuff), and that a team of wrestling Hunchbacks was clever because their shoulders wouldn't be able to touch the mat and get pinned.
When Conrad interviewed him, he was insistent that this never happened past him maybe making a joke at one point. And...I kind of buy that? The initial AP story from March 1990 where he brings up the idea of using MGM movie characters for wrestling gimmicks is pretty clearly just a play for publicity, for starters. And while he didn't know nearly as much about wrestling as he thought he did, Herd was not an idiot. He was brought in to run the company weeks after the sale to Turner, a sale that was contingent on Flair being part of the company. Would he really pitch THAT GUY getting completely re-gimmicked as Spartacus?

Also, when I was doing the research for Conrad, while I mostly focused on Matwatch and mainstream stuff (with the idea one of the other researchers he hired would focus on the Observers), I found no trace of the Spartacus thing being reported contemporaneously. And if it was going to be reported anywhere, Matwatch was going to be one of those places.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I legit thought the ding dongs were supposed to be a dick joke with their weird fleshy bodysuit thing. I never would have guessed bells.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I legit thought the ding dongs were supposed to be a dick joke with their weird fleshy bodysuit thing. I never would have guessed bells.

I honestly assumed the same until just now.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xh194fmTHE

I remember watching this as a kid and feeling bad for the Ding Dongs lol

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sticklefifer posted:

Tommy Dreamer doing gross stuff.

Like, if you want a wrestler to do dumb jackass stunts, get them to take stupid bumps, that might get over. Nobody wants to see Tommy Dreamer drink Undertaker's tobacco spit.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

sticklefifer posted:

The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea, a shallow Prince parody cooked up by Vince Russo just because the guy's name happened to be Prince Iaukea. Didn't appeal to Prince fans, didn't appeal to wrestling fans (because Iaukea was still really bland and bad in the ring).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

fez_machine posted:

Jamie Hernandez of Love and Rockets has been doing Luchadora comics since 1982

He's also got a book coming out later this year that compiles all his Luchadora drawings: https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/coming-soon/products/queen-of-the-ring-wrestling-drawings-by-jaime-hernadez

Man it sucks that shipping to the UK costs more than the goddamn book itself, this is extremely my jam.