Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan has a similar family register system (koseki) 戸籍 but you can get married by registering at city hall with 2? cosigner stamps on the paperwork. Cosigners are not required to be parents or blood relatives or even Japanese citizens.
It's archaic but not too restrictive. But if you are a woman getting married or divorced, your surname changes instantly.

Most family registers are the hometown address, which is often an out of date address without living family or that no longer exists after city reorganization. It's just a code for identification.
I have heard that you can update the family register address anytime, and that some people use Disneyland's address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they got rid of the korean equivalent system in 2008

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Would be quite amusing to have some of (or *the*?) only white and black Chinese though. Something similar to the early White Russians who chose to settle in Japan, or some of the Russians that lived in territory that eventually went to the Japanese and could choose Japanese citizenship way back.

There are several thousand ethnic Russian Chinese citizens. I am not sure how many Chinese citizens are of african descent but I did have a student who AFAIK was both (Chinese mom, though).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

How easy is it to obtain Chinese citizenship?

Can you get it through marriage to a Chinese Citizen? How arduous is the process?
Can you get it through X years of permanent residency? Again, how much paperwork do you have to do?
Can you get it through "service to the Party"? Coz I am sure I heard a thing about some tankies trying to join the CCP. And if you are dumb enough to want to join the party, surely you would want a Chinese Passport.

Does being born overseas count? I.E. A kid is born in Australia to two Chinese Citizen parents. Does that kid get Chinese Citizenship?

Related question: If you have Taiwanese Citizenship, do you have to renounce it to get Chinese Citizenship? Or does the CCP just not recognize your Taiwanese passport? How does that affect Taiwanese people going to Shanghai for holidays?

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

peanut posted:

Japan has a similar family register system (koseki) 戸籍 but you can get married by registering at city hall with 2? cosigner stamps on the paperwork. Cosigners are not required to be parents or blood relatives or even Japanese citizens.
It's archaic but not too restrictive. But if you are a woman getting married or divorced, your surname changes instantly.

Most family registers are the hometown address, which is often an out of date address without living family or that no longer exists after city reorganization. It's just a code for identification.
I have heard that you can update the family register address anytime, and that some people use Disneyland's address.

The koseki can hurt you in other ways.

Moderately well-known is how it used to be commonplace for companies to investigate potential hires for their historical caste background in order to block the hiring of burakumin, and that practice still happens on the down-low by families who want to vet the backgrounds of potential spouses.

One that is less known is how it shapes the abhorrent state of Japanese adoption wherein, as you might expect from a populous place, there are tens of thousands of orphaned and abandoned children, yet only a sparse few hundred children are ever adopted every year. The vast, vast majority of children who fall into care institutions are there until they turn 18 and have prospects/social mobility that would make even those from the most disadvantaged backgrounds in a typical Western country blush.

The koseki both stamps you for life as an orphan and helps perpetuate the not-so-secret Japanese obsession with familial bloodlines, and helps make child adoption an arcane, difficult and almost shameful process. I think the big headline statistic is that something like 98% of all adoptions in Japan are adult men in their 20-30s, specifically for the purpose of ensuring the continuity of family businesses. It also accelerates the number of children put into care because having an child out of wedlock is still highly discriminated against, resulting in single mothers who opt not to have an abortion giving children up for adoption (or straight up abandonment) because the koseki permanently marks any 'illegitimate' children you have on your family record.

Growing up in care hampers your life chances in any country, but the koseki in Japan plays a major role in basically enshrining that life chances for those growing up in care are all but eradicated. Anyone who has been to Japan probably has already run into the bureaucratic roadblocks that exist for an insane amount of things - for example the nigh-necessity for having a Japanese national act as a guarantor for renting an apartment. The Japanese state offers little follow-through in supporting care leavers, and without a good family/sponsor, you are basically crippled from entering higher education or obtaining full-time employment. Although the Japanese state is loathe to do any good research on the topic, it is known that care leavers are massively over-represented in relation to their proportion of the population in terms of being homeless, having itinerant part-time menial work, and falling into criminality.

:japan:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jeza posted:

The koseki both stamps you for life as an orphan and helps perpetuate the not-so-secret Japanese obsession with familial bloodlines, and helps make child adoption an arcane, difficult and almost shameful process. I think the big headline statistic is that something like 98% of all adoptions in Japan are adult men in their 20-30s, specifically for the purpose of ensuring the continuity of family businesses.

I think we all know the real reason.

:thatsrad:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bob dobbs is dead posted:

also the price of pork went up like 75% or something in the last 18 months

Well, I know it was a million years ago so we've all forgotten, but in 2019 a quarter of all the pigs in the world died from swine flu.

\/\/Lol, could have sworn I typed fever, not flu. H1N1 always in our memories.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 16, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
swine fever, but yeah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I stopped eating pork generally because trump gave the industry the greenlight to "self-certify" instead of having the appropriate federal agencies actually regulate them.

Similarly I've cut back a lot on chicken because trump allowed them to no longer have to pull cancerous chickens out of the slaughter line. Instead workers on the line snip tumors off while processing the meat.

I'm mostly pescatarian these days.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I stopped eating pork generally because trump gave the industry the greenlight to "self-certify" instead of having the appropriate federal agencies actually regulate them.

Similarly I've cut back a lot on chicken because trump allowed them to no longer have to pull cancerous chickens out of the slaughter line. Instead workers on the line snip tumors off while processing the meat.

I'm mostly pescatarian these days.

I'm adding these to the list of reasons why I'm glad I don't live in the US.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

swine fever, but yeah
Very glad this hasn't make the species jump yet.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Can you get it through marriage to a Chinese Citizen? How arduous is the process?
Can you get it through X years of permanent residency? Again, how much paperwork do you have to do?
Can you get it through "service to the Party"? Coz I am sure I heard a thing about some tankies trying to join the CCP. And if you are dumb enough to want to join the party, surely you would want a Chinese Passport.

Does being born overseas count? I.E. A kid is born in Australia to two Chinese Citizen parents. Does that kid get Chinese Citizenship?

Related question: If you have Taiwanese Citizenship, do you have to renounce it to get Chinese Citizenship? Or does the CCP just not recognize your Taiwanese passport? How does that affect Taiwanese people going to Shanghai for holidays?

Sorry if these are silly questions.

If you're not ethnically Chinese, it's pretty hard. Usually you have to do something like build a hospital or something other on that scale to get citizenship. You can get permanent residency and spousal visas but it's not that complicated or hard outside of getting in all the forms, paying the right people over or under the table, and having the right sponsors.

Essentially China generally considers all overseas Chinese to be nationals of China if one of their parents has PRC citizenship and hasn't renounced it. Residents of Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan are all Chinese nationals too. Even if you renounce Chinese citizenship, the PRC will ignore that if it's politically desirable for them to do so. The ROC also officially doesn't really exist as far as China is concerned, despite treaties and ROC citizens working in China on work visas or visiting through tourist visas, so in practice they publicly treat Taiwanese citizens as being similar to those from Hong Kong or Macau but in reality they're treated like foreign nationals with all that entails. The same is kind of true in Taiwan but they officially acknowledge the PRC as a sovereign state and don't promote any notion that they control anything on Mainland China. There's a similar nationality deal in ROC but it's more difficult to gain citizenship from what I understand. They just don't change the maps because Beijing might start firing if they touched anything related to that and Taiwan/ROC's status.

You also can't just join the CCP, you have to be invited by the party. It generally starts happening when you're in grade school and is based on your conduct, grades, and connections. It's an exclusive party of the elite, not something you can just join by filling out a form.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 16, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you're foreign? Essentially impossible. IIRC there have been fewer than ten thousand naturalized PRC citizens since its founding, and the vast majority of those happened in the early 50s as part of the world communist solidarity stuff.

In the last census there were 1,448 naturalized Chinese citizens out of 1.34 billion total.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

If you're not ethnically Chinese, it's pretty hard. Usually you have to do something like build a hospital or something other on that scale to get citizenship. You can get permanent residency and spousal visas but it's not that complicated or hard outside of getting in all the forms, paying the right people over or under the table, and having the right sponsors.

Essentially China generally considers all overseas Chinese to be nationals of China if one of their parents has PRC citizenship and hasn't renounced it. Residents of Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan are all Chinese nationals too. Even if you renounce Chinese citizenship, the PRC will ignore that if it's politically desirable for them to do so. The ROC also officially doesn't really exist as far as China is concerned, despite treaties and ROC citizens working in China on work visas or visiting through tourist visas, so in practice they publicly treat Taiwanese citizens as being similar to those from Hong Kong or Macau but in reality they're treated like foreign nationals with all that entails. The same is kind of true in Taiwan but they officially acknowledge the PRC as a sovereign state and don't promote any notion that they control anything on Mainland China. There's a similar nationality deal in ROC but it's more difficult to gain citizenship from what I understand. They just don't change the maps because Beijing might start firing if they touched anything related to that and Taiwan/ROC's status.

You also can't just join the CCP, you have to be invited by the party. It generally starts happening when you're in grade school and is based on your conduct, grades, and connections. It's an exclusive party of the elite, not something you can just join by filling out a form.

Thank you for this answer.

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're foreign? Essentially impossible. IIRC there have been fewer than ten thousand naturalized PRC citizens since its founding, and the vast majority of those happened in the early 50s as part of the world communist solidarity stuff.

In the last census there were 1,448 naturalized Chinese citizens out of 1.34 billion total.

And this also.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

A fun side story of the Korean war was that there were 21 US POWs who stayed in China after the Korean war, but I don't think any of them actually got Chinese citizenship.

Except maybe this guy...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Veneris

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Huh I'm not terribly familiar but I thought that there was literally *no* path to citizenship in the PRC as I saw comments to that effect, but it was more to say effectively impossible and not actually impossible per se.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It would look bad if it were literally impossible to immigrate, so they have like, two naturalizations a year in order to say "see you can totally become a citizen, the PRC is an open society".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

Huh I'm not terribly familiar but I thought that there was literally *no* path to citizenship in the PRC as I saw comments to that effect, but it was more to say effectively impossible and not actually impossible per se.

It's "get a bunch of high ranking people to sign a form" kind of impossible. But if you can them to do that, you can pretty much make anything happen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you have enough money anything is possible, especially in China, unless you have too too much, then you get targeted

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

It would look bad if it were literally impossible to immigrate, so they have like, two naturalizations a year in order to say "see you can totally become a citizen, the PRC is an open society".

Yeah exactly what I was thinking, but didn't look into it in details.

My real question is how will I be treated if/when I take Taiwanese citizenship haha. Honestly probably just going to avoid ever going to the mainland and at this point maybe HK as well, most likely.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah exactly what I was thinking, but didn't look into it in details.

My real question is how will I be treated if/when I take Taiwanese citizenship haha. Honestly probably just going to avoid ever going to the mainland and at this point maybe HK as well, most likely.

Sorry for all the Citizenship/Passport questions lately.

Does Taiwan allow dual Citizenship? Coz just use a different passport when entering China/HK/Macau.

This begs the question, if one had dual citizenship with say, France and Malaysia, (to pick two random countries), could one enter HK on one's French passport, and then enter Shenzhen on one's Malaysian passport?

Couldn't that be very useful for dissidents/disharmonious folk who want to return home to visit family

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Does Taiwan allow dual Citizenship? Coz just use a different passport when entering China/HK/Macau.

This begs the question, if one had dual citizenship with say, France and Malaysia, (to pick two random countries), could one enter HK on one's French passport, and then enter Shenzhen on one's Malaysian passport?

Couldn't that be very useful for dissidents/disharmonious folk who want to return home to visit family

If you leave a country on one and enter a country on the same one that's usually not a problem.

It only really gets complicated if you try to leave on one and enter on another. Some places won't let you enter with a passport unless you have a stamp from the place you left from.

I have friends who do both categories from time to time and they seem not to have many issues, I think they know which places are more strict.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Taiwan openly allows dual citizenship for Taiwan citizens, so they're better than for example Japan in that regard (Japan de facto allows dual citizenship only if its held from birth).

One point of contention though is that if you naturalize to Taiwan you need to forfeit other citizenships (generally that is; they've started a program where some can keep other citizenships while naturalizing and it seems to be expanding but currently it's limited in scope and has basically only been people like accomplished artists and missionaries who've been off in the mountains for like 30+ years). So it's kind of odd because you need to abdicate other citizenships to get Taiwanese, but once you have it you can go and get others. There's some countries that have an expedited path for re-applying for citizenship (I think the UK for example?) so they can kinda get around really permanently abdicating their citizenship.

Broadly speaking yeah. If you have different passports you can effectively have multiple identities if you do it right (thus why in spy movies people have diff passports, etc.). Especially if its between different countries and with different names. For example I know a number of people with Japanese passports and their Japanese name, and other passports and *completely different* names. If they wanted they could very well do money laundering etc. that would not get caught by anything but close scrutiny and in-depth investigation.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

In the Taiwanese passport there is a space for "other names" where people would put their "english" name. Most people I know with a Taiwanese and other passport would use the Taiwanese one when entering and exiting Taiwan, and then the other one entering any other country because Taiwan has very few visa on arrival agreements.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Things also get complicated because it's illegal to enter most countries you're a national of on anything but that passport, so if you're moving between two countries where you hold citizenship, you're by necessity going to enter each country on separate passports.

At the same time, some countries are moving away from physical exit stamps but I imagine the same info is digital now.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about how china only has one time zone? How does this even work?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jippa posted:

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about how china only has one time zone? How does this even work?

Well instead of having multiple timezones it has one, glad I could help

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Jippa posted:

It's not a big deal in most of the country but in Xinjiang the Uyghurs operate on their own unofficial timezone that makes sense for their longitude.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jippa posted:

Haha this is wild. I just looked at the map and China spans 5 different time zones lol.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MarcusSA posted:

Haha this is wild. I just looked at the map and China spans 5 different time zones lol.

Grand Fromage has talked about how in Chengdu you would end up with real weird sunrise and sunset times, and that is like halfway across China.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"Ok kids see you tomorrow at 3am".

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
While it is silly to only have one time zone, the vast majority of the population is along the east coast. The rest of the country is much more arid and sparsely populated.

So something like 85% of the population would be in the same time zone anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Grand Fromage has talked about how in Chengdu you would end up with real weird sunrise and sunset times, and that is like halfway across China.

Actually I thought the sunrise/sunset in Chengdu felt right to me as someone from the US. In Korea and Japan the timezones are way off, sunrise in summer is like 4 AM.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Actually I thought the sunrise/sunset in Chengdu felt right to me as someone from the US. In Korea and Japan the timezones are way off, sunrise in summer is like 4 AM.

I looked it up and sunrise in Seoul is just after 5:00 AM on the summer solstice. This is the almost the same as Vancouver on the same day, despite being 10° farther south.

Seoul is at roughly the same latitude as San Francisco, so its sunrise should happen at around 5:45 AM. I guess it would also depend on how far east or west you are in your time zone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I lived on the other side of the country from Seoul. I dunno what the precise technical dawn time was, but there were many occasions I stumbled out of the bar at 4 AM and the sky was already lighting up.

Dawn in Tokyo in June is 3:50 AM, lol.

In Chengdu it was like... 6.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I lived on the other side of the country from Seoul. I dunno what the precise technical dawn time was, but there were many occasions I stumbled out of the bar at 4 AM and the sky was already lighting up.

Dawn in Tokyo in June is 3:50 AM, lol.

In Chengdu it was like... 6.

Tokyo June sunrise is more like 4:30 which is early but meh?

I know this because that's around 4:30-5:00 is when they start to clear you out of the decent clubs and then you go to the after-club clubs that peak at like 6-8am

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This extremely specific website lets you look up the times for anywhere: https://www.gaisma.com/en

Dawn in Tokyo on June 17th is 3:55 AM.

Chengdu it's 5:33, which is almost the same as where I grew up so I'm glad I wasn't just imagining that it felt normal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

This extremely specific website lets you look up the times for anywhere: https://www.gaisma.com/en

Dawn in Tokyo on June 17th is 3:55 AM.

Chengdu it's 5:33, which is almost the same as where I grew up so I'm glad I wasn't just imagining that it felt normal.

One of you is going off dawn and the other is going off sunrise, I think that’s the confusion here.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
True that, we’re both correct but talking past each other, a tale as old as 1999 when the somethingawful forums were created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'll be honest, I don't know/care what the difference is. I'm going off the sky being lit up or not. I assume that's dawn and sunrise is when it's visible over the horizon but also all these places have mountains, so you can't really see the horizon? Does that change it?