Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"And lo, the last dread syllable was uttered, ancient un-words from a time before time that rent and tore at the fabrics of reality itself. The... thing, primeval in its form, the ur-Burger, that which all burgers are but mere shadows, lay in the center of the sigil, whose blasphemous runes caused the very soul to cry out at the sight of them. An ancient voice, more force and void than words rang out: "Would you like fries with that?" "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Randalor posted:

"And lo, the last dread syllable was uttered, ancient un-words from a time before time that rent and tore at the fabrics of reality itself. The... thing, primeval in its form, the ur-Burger, that which all burgers are but mere shadows, lay in the center of the sigil, whose blasphemous runes caused the very soul to cry out at the sight of them. An ancient voice, more force and void than words rang out: "Would you like fries with that?" "
Imagine running the register for so long you qualify as an eldritch entity. What a horrible fate.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

This is a special LP, gotta love this

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

By the time the rest of us notice that the brain is taking things WAY too far, it's already done. Organs stain to jade with the overflux of Mana, a hyper-response to the simplest spell-wish for a burger.

I huddle down under a river rock, teeth clenched against the magic noise. I can feel a crown of cancer slowly congeal somewhere above me, a shape I wouldn't dare see for fear of how ravenous it was forced to be with so much energy.

Just as soon as I feel my gift tap into the highest degree of this bizarre artificial entity, it interprets my wish, and some thunderous failsafe clamps down with a sharp rip-crackling surge. There's the reek of a wave of hot fried air, followed by cold tile-floor silence. I open my eyes, and within arm's reach out of the rock shelter is a black container with a golden handle. It's stylized like a fast food meal box, handle in the shape of a connected MCD.

I have no sincere idea what the magic just created. The link to the artificial spirit is still there, but it's gone dark in overload. I reach out with my ESP, and I'm a little surprised that the box has an instant response.

MC&D posted:

We thank you for choosing the best- and only the best.

We're proud to have you participate in the new generation of spiritual contract and total reality augmentation. Our proof of concept, the 'Cheeseburger Spirit Animal', utilizes a proprietary blend of Pacts, shamanic methods, and on-demand summoning signals. No need for a proper ritual, or vision quest, or years of patience. FAST food, FAST spirit animal. 24/7 access. Instant gratification of your spiritual needs for guidance, power, satisfaction, wisdom, and growth.

Please beta test this premium achievement to your satisfaction, and we will send you a user satisfaction upgrade kit when the trial period has reached the end of the first stage. We anticipate your continued patronage of our services, and look forward to hearing your opinion of our success.

Enjoy the luxury of this sample of what a concept as simple as a 'Cheeseburger' can achieve.

Marshall
Carter
Dark

Mist blows in on the river breeze, and the handle of the billion-dollar box clicks open. Cheeseburger gold, gemstone black alloy, enchanted to stasis-contain the prize inside. Lunch pops out with an automated hum, on three jointed trays that click-slide into place. They sparkle with Mana-burnished coppers, and light up from beneath with little spotlights and a music box themed jingle perfectly designed to simulate the pathos of an artificial childhood memory.

ANXIETY: [1%] [Locked]

Let me get a uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Voted Boarger, listing here as well due to Strawpoll being Strawpoll.

Aside from that, I think we should also offer our thanks to the cheeseburger spirit; it really put its all into this and deserves the gratitude.
Cheeseburger spirit did good, if it had any worries (or even a mind to worry about things) we wouldn't be happy with it, it can set those aside.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Voted Boarger too because, realtalk, boar burgers are loving good.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

STILL not working? That's frustrating. Well, we'll see what it does over night and try again tomorrow if it's still being bad.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Million Fries. Million Fries, Crispy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, you know what, I'm voting Boarger.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

Boarg baby

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
dragon thing for strength imo

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Boarger sounds nice, but Double Red Dragon Burger puts our strength at 22. That puts us ever closer to learning the most powerful magic of all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Disquiet can be a really serious problem to deal with and it sounds like the Boarger gives us something to deal with that, potentially in a major way with our critical success. And we're going to Megalith, which sounds like a pretty anxious adventure. Otherwise I'd agree with you on the Red Dragon Burger.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I think any kind of Disquiet tool is too potentially valuable to pass up, so I lean towards the Boarger too. It also sounds relativity palatable to our extremely pukey stomach.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

We're already strong, better off removing a weakness so voting Boarger

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I also voted Boarger, removing flaws is hard to do and clearing disquiet now would make a ton of sense from a character perspective, after being brought to the brink of death things have kinda gone pretty well for our character for a bit.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Voting for the Dragon Burg, mostly because I feel like the Boarger will be a one-time use thing and I'm more fond of permanent upgrades.

If it actually gets rid of disquiet permanently than I'd rather go on Boarger train though

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'mma go with the Boarger. Dealing with a weakness is more valuable than increasing our strength.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Boarger

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Hm. Do we want to get rid of Disquiet? Anxiety spikes can be pretty useful if we manage to switch to Tyranny. It's easier said than done as the switch gets harder the more anxious we are, but in turn it means the effects of Tyranny get stronger. A bit of a high risk high reward maneuver, but if we're going to have to overcome the Megaliths I think we'll need all the help we can get.

I gotta admit that Boarger sounds pretty sick tho.

Grond fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 17, 2021

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I also quite enjoy Anxiety as a narrative device. To have it go away this soon feels like a bit of a waste, story-wise.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'd be very surprised if it was a permanent removal - that seems too good relative to the other options. My best guess is that it's the ability to ignore a failed Disquiet roll once. I'd still say that's significantly better than a point of ST, since failed Disquiet rolls can be very very bad, so I vote boarger as well.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I initially voted for the str burger but you guys have convinced me and strawpoll seems to be acting up so boarger.

I don't think we're getting rid of disquiet THAT easily even with a critical success, it's probably either temporary or some kind or rerolling feat.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Yeah there's no way it would be anything other than a limited means to deal with it.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

pumpinglemma posted:

I'd be very surprised if it was a permanent removal - that seems too good relative to the other options. My best guess is that it's the ability to ignore a failed Disquiet roll once. I'd still say that's significantly better than a point of ST, since failed Disquiet rolls can be very very bad, so I vote boarger as well.

I figured it to maybe be a 1 use thing but handy if we're ever in a dangerous spot due to high Disquiet at a critical time?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
What's the drawback? I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't trust MCD, and the idea of fast-tracking pacts and rituals is all kinds of red flags.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

XkyRauh posted:

What's the drawback? I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't trust MCD, and the idea of fast-tracking pacts and rituals is all kinds of red flags.
Probably a fuckton of telemetry.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

Well, we weren't asked if we want fries with our order, for a start. Nor if we wanted to upside our meal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Presumably we're only getting such good options because of the critical success, and normally we'd get a lot more normal meals. And it's not food for nothing, either - it always comes with a cost. I don't want to see what a failed Cheeseburger Magic roll would be like, and a critical fail? Oof.

And that's the cost, really. We're a beta tester. When MCD actually rolls this tech out, presumably their Valued Customers can pay a lot of money to only get the good stuff, but we get to deal with the not-good stuff if that's how we roll.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Looks like the polling is still not working, after a few test ones. I think it's ok though to have a brief hiatus until it's working again, for how integral it'll be to the first leave of the Holy Valley. I see that the boar burger is popular pick, but I'll still put up a revote once polls are back up. I'll leave thread open to discussion until then.

Fact: Critting the first Cheeseburger Magic cast skips the cutscene of all the introductory commercials

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Black August posted:

Fact: Critting the first Cheeseburger Magic cast skips the cutscene of all the introductory commercials

♩♬♫BEE BOOP BAP BEEP BAAHH! I HAVE STRONG FEELINS' ABOUT IT♫♬♪

Bo-Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 17, 2021

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Who could forget that jingle.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cju6MvJfVRI

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

As an alternative to a hiatus, in the short-term I'd be happy to count up votes posted in the thread.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thank you, but I'm going to give it until tonight, tomorrow at the latest. It gives me a little extra time to put into things, and I'd rather see if this is going to be temporary or longer term.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Ah, I have bad associations with the h-word and thought you meant a much longer pause. :)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ahhhhh you know what, I have that exact same association and reason and really didn't consider the use of my word there, hah. Yeah, no, let's call this a [PAUSE] FOR BATHROOM BREAK sort of weekend wait.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ok. It's still down, so for this poll I'm going to use an alternative site. Voting will end later today so we can get things going again.

PLEASE PLACE YOUR ORDER.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Longest Drive-Thru Wait Of My Life

Double Red Dragon Burger & Deep Fried Onion & Moonshine Shake [+ST] - 5
Homemade Boarger & Tropic Greens & Dolphin Water [+Disquiet Cancel] - 18
100-Meat Patty & Million Fries & Sapphire Soda [+Food Supply] - 1

LOADI.̴̛̖͗̆̂.̶͙̀́͠N̶̪̘̤̎͊̐͜G̶̩̟̥͐̽.̵͚̆̈́̄.̷̜̊̈.̵̞͒̅̔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006