Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

binge crotching posted:

Several of the new achievements are blocked if you use the ruler designer, is that what you're doing?

Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

That was the dumbest nerf

Diplo-vassalization was fine as it was

I'm doing more testing and the results are extremely disappointing. You can vassalize almost all of India without true ruler just by handing out religious protection willy nilly. No need to even change faith. If you form an empire you can even vassalize the other kings (w/ true ruler). Meanwhile you can't vassalize some tiny same-faith tribal count because they don't know what contracts are and you are in slightly different culture groups. This is dumb.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol at there being a massive game breaking bug related to Norse raiding in the DLC about Norse raiding.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lol at there being a massive game breaking bug related to Norse raiding in the DLC about Norse raiding.

:rip: to a bunch of peoples games.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

scaterry posted:

I'm doing more testing and the results are extremely disappointing. You can vassalize almost all of India without true ruler just by handing out religious protection willy nilly. No need to even change faith. If you form an empire you can even vassalize the other kings (w/ true ruler). Meanwhile you can't vassalize some tiny same-faith tribal count because they don't know what contracts are and you are in slightly different culture groups. This is dumb.
i guess they're playing around with crude anti-blobbing solutions. crude being the operative word.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Zane posted:

i guess they're playing around with crude anti-blobbing solutions. crude being the operative word.

My optimistic interpretation is they wanted to allow the player to offer better feudal contracts to improve vassalization odds (makes sense, right?) but when they went to balance the numbers they didn't realize it made vassalizing non-feudals near impossible.

IMO, it should be a probability-based interaction with a 10-year cooldown. Make it less of an 'all-or-nothing' type interaction where you're forced to stack tons of positive modifiers only to fall tantalizingly short. It would also mitigate cheesy strats where you vassalize large portions of territory instantly.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 17, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It sounds like the age old problem where they can't make territory easy to acquire because they are unwilling to make it easy to lose territory.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Popoto posted:

You can do that for much less prestige with the normal conquering casus belli. I think the point is you also have a chance of free troops to help you conquer the targeted lands. I've done plenty of nomadic norse plays before this with normal conquest, and to then just give independence to my previous land.
You also get bonus gold when doing this Adventure thing. It may be less prestige to do it manually, but with the Adventure CB, you get to take a full Duchy (if all the counties are owned by a single ruler) in one war instead of waiting for truces (or finding a spot with multiple independent Counts/Duchies).

There's also a new decision that lets you take the local culture but still be able to do do Runestones and also be immune to getting Adventured by other vikings for 80 years or something.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Dang, do achievements not transfer between Xbox Game Pass versions of the game and Steam? I got grumpy when I realize that Northern Lords was not included by default on Game Pass and finally bought CK3 on Steam, plus the pack. But now all my achievements have been reset :(

I always planned to eventually get the game on Steam, so this was going to happen one way or another I guess.

How are u fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 17, 2021

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

How are u posted:

Dang, do achievements not transfer between Xbox Game Pass versions of the game and Steam? I got grumpy when I realize that Northern Lords was not included by default on Game Pass and finally bought CK3 on Steam, plus the pack. But now all my achievements have been reset :(

Guess not, but you can always hack it into steam, I think.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Nordick posted:

EDIT: Similarly, sometimes my raiders just don't raid. I move them to a holding that doesn't have the "recently raided" status, and hovering over it shows there's loot, and the raiders have the "always raid" box checked, and yet they just move in and stand still. Very frustrating. EDIT2: Oh wait, turns out I was allied with the holder of the place I was trying to raid. Curse these nearly identical map colours.

I think I had this too. I was raiding for a bit and then they came over to defend and I won the battle and then I could no longer raid and had no raid loot. That's not meant to happen, right?

man it sucks to get excited for a release and then think "oh I better wait for a patch / hotfix" and then lose the excitement to play by the time it comes. Feels like that's my experience with every game these days.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

fuf posted:

I think I had this too. I was raiding for a bit and then they came over to defend and I won the battle and then I could no longer raid and had no raid loot. That's not meant to happen, right?

man it sucks to get excited for a release and then think "oh I better wait for a patch / hotfix" and then lose the excitement to play by the time it comes. Feels like that's my experience with every game these days.

I had this bug happen to me a few times before this patch, so it’s been there a while.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

fuf posted:

Yeah if there‘s a bug with raiding I‘m definitely gonna hold off on starting until it gets patched

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just got a random crash while raiding.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Turning on yearly viking adventures is hysterical because it means that Scandinavia is perpetually exploding into mini kingdoms while the strong rulers go terrorize europe.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Popoto posted:

I had this bug happen to me a few times before this patch, so it’s been there a while.

This bug has popped up, at least a few times, every time I have played someone who can raid.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Really wish Sweden would explode on my save because it’s getting in the way of my ability to reform my religion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Just got a random crash while raiding.

Did you hit tab or bring the mouse up toward the top notification thing? I get a crash from that pretty regularly, and did again last night on the new patch.

Lawman 0 posted:

Turning on yearly viking adventures is hysterical because it means that Scandinavia is perpetually exploding into mini kingdoms while the strong rulers go terrorize europe.

My liege did that, so the minute he won and moved over there I was able to eat up all my former vassal buddies who now had no protection.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways what do I do now? France looks scary...:ohdear:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I do wish the threat preview would account for the ability of your enemy to buy mercenaries because I’m sick of seeing “inferior” and then they show up with an extra 3,000 men.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Remember that time just before Christmas, when they pushed DLC with a game breaking bug that didn't let AI to declare war and everyone had to wait until they get back from their month-long holidays?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The vassal raid bug works in reverse, too. If you’re a vassal your raiding won’t flag you as hostile. So I’m just going to start as a vassal and counter-cheese the AI until it’s fixed in a couple days. Off to Constantinople I go!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, moved on to my third character and discovered he's put all his perk points into the torturer tree like some angsty loving teenager. The gently caress am I supposed to do with this goddamn edgelord? Uugghhh.

The comfy late feudal succession laws have made me soft, this confederate partition poo poo playing with tribals is such a mess.

EDIT: No but seriously though, if anyone has any real advice for some pro strats to pull off with the torturer perks, then I'm all ears.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 17, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Holy war for some infidels to torture and get free intrigue and prowess.

Or just reset your perks.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Make all your vassals terrified of you.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nordick posted:

EDIT: No but seriously though, if anyone has any real advice for some pro strats to pull off with the torturer perks, then I'm all ears.

Torture prisoners until you max your Dread, enjoy that it won’t ever go down, get stress level up a couple of levels for the martial / intrigue bonuses, and then go down the agent path with your intrigue bonuses.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hellioning posted:

I actually forgot that this was a thing, that button in the top corner doesn't exactly catch the eye. But idk, I feel better just rolling with what the game gives me and trying to make something of it.

ulmont posted:

Torture prisoners until you max your Dread, enjoy that it won’t ever go down, get stress level up a couple of levels for the martial / intrigue bonuses, and then go down the agent path with your intrigue bonuses.

Yeah ok this sounds like something I can work with. This guy has literally zero diplomacy skill, so I guess I kinda have to leverage that dread. And hey, maybe the stress will somehow get him killed earlier and get me rid of him. :v:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hellioning posted:

This is what I do when I see trees that have no point to them being used up that way. A stress break is less of a drawback then stumbling through with a character who has no useful skills. And if it kills them, well, that's just another way to solve the problem.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Knuc U Kinte posted:

all this has happened before
all this will happen again

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
are the anti-aliasing options broken in game? they don't seem to do anything. all of the characters look funky as hell, almost as if they were rendered at some low res and the upscaled

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Nordick posted:

Welp, moved on to my third character and discovered he's put all his perk points into the torturer tree like some angsty loving teenager. The gently caress am I supposed to do with this goddamn edgelord? Uugghhh.

The comfy late feudal succession laws have made me soft, this confederate partition poo poo playing with tribals is such a mess.

Confederate partition is much better than ultimogeniture, which is what I found myself stuck with in the Bohemia 1066 start. Not only can I not control what perk tree my heir will choose, I can't even choose what kind of education or traits my heir gets. (My first Bohemian ruler died right after forming the kingdom of Bohemia, and then suddenly, I, the count of something in Moravia, the duke of Bohemia, and the king of Bohemia, was at war with the duke of Moravia (Bohemia's a two-duchy kingdom) presumably because I had wanted Moravia for myself while I was waiting to inherit?)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

zonohedron posted:

Confederate partition is much better than ultimogeniture, which is what I found myself stuck with in the Bohemia 1066 start. Not only can I not control what perk tree my heir will choose, I can't even choose what kind of education or traits my heir gets. (My first Bohemian ruler died right after forming the kingdom of Bohemia, and then suddenly, I, the count of something in Moravia, the duke of Bohemia, and the king of Bohemia, was at war with the duke of Moravia (Bohemia's a two-duchy kingdom) presumably because I had wanted Moravia for myself while I was waiting to inherit?)

Well, I actually may have misspoken when I referred to "late feudal" laws; I was referring to the elective system that I used for all my big titles. I was just about always able to get exactly who I wanted to be my heir, with just a little finagling to get my vassals on board for the vote.
I did also try Absolute Crown Authority briefly, for the ability to just directly nominate my heir with no fuss. But my vassals really didn't like that so I was soon forced to dial the authority back.

Anyways, this whole torture perk malarkey almost immediately turned out pretty well: I had two factions against me to put someone else on the throne. The first one to send an ultimatum was too weak and I beat them in the resulting civil war quite handily. Torturing all the resulting prisoners maxed out my dread in no time, and consequently the other faction just noped out because everyone's terrified now.

Of course the whole problem might have not existed in the first place if this guy wasn't such a comically villainous rear end in a top hat, but hey. Made it work.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I founded the Capital of the Rus as Rurik then converted to Islam right away cause I had the Faith.

I think I can still build Runestones.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
hi sorry for bothering whats the best starting - what to do guide on this game? i played the tutorial but i build a new pc and lost all of my progress

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're just trying to ease yourself into it one of the three castille kings tends to be a pretty chill way to empire

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Matilda di Canossa is a strong start.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Matilda di Canossa is a strong start.

Where is she located?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

hopeandjoy posted:

Where is she located?

tuscany

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bohemia in 1066 is also a good start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm a bit annoyed that Paradox "fixed" the code that allowed for same-sex concubines via modding in 1.3.