Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

someone earlier intimated that whataburger had a secret menu or maybe it was a joke that I took at face value but I feel like as much as people love or revile In-n-Out their “secret menu” thing is a comprehensive failure of design / just the whole idea

why do they not your options on the board? why don’t they toast the buns regularly, or always grill the onions, when it makes your iteration of a burger better?

anyways my other 2 cents: back when i could go to shows and bars whataburger was good after that- specifically, the bacon and egg taquito done rancho verde style, or the Monterey melt*.
but the Monterey melt has been off the regular menu for a while and i pin the world backsliding to that event.
*their patty melt is an ok substitute
everything else on the regular menu is only so-so

the trouble with their popcorn chicken bites is that so few people order them you’ll be told to pull up to the side door or lane B while they fry them

...also, Braum’s and DQ sell burgers? what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

wolfs posted:

someone earlier intimated that whataburger had a secret menu or maybe it was a joke that I took at face value but I feel like as much as people love or revile In-n-Out their “secret menu” thing is a comprehensive failure of design / just the whole idea

why do they not your options on the board? why don’t they toast the buns regularly, or always grill the onions, when it makes your iteration of a burger better?

anyways my other 2 cents: back when i could go to shows and bars whataburger was good after that- specifically, the bacon and egg taquito done rancho verde style, or the Monterey melt*.
but the Monterey melt has been off the regular menu for a while and i pin the world backsliding to that event.
*their patty melt is an ok substitute
everything else on the regular menu is only so-so

the trouble with their popcorn chicken bites is that so few people order them you’ll be told to pull up to the side door or lane B while they fry them

...also, Braum’s and DQ sell burgers? what?

The reason I don't mind "secret menu" kinds of things is that not everyone wants grilled onions, for example. (Or they're me and they want both grilled and raw onions.) It's not like some kind of insider trick, it's more "if you don't like their burgers because their buns are too soft, ask for them to be toasted twice", because somebody might not know that doing that is an option.
(Dairy Queen burgers aren't bad. Never been to a Braum's.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RyanWoodDFW/status/1372001774656176131

Second consecutive session blown in half by a secret recording. The senate rammed through a bill in one day calling for the repricing of ERCOT overcharges, basically about 4-5bn flowing from generators back to the munis and coops. Abbott and the House told them to pound sand, and now this comes out....Abbott is fuuuuucked. The House was slowwalking this, ERCOT contracts have to be settled within 30 days and that term lapses at the end of the week. Dan wins again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Secret menus make sense as a result of fast food places extensively pruning down their menus to make things faster with customers. Popular things that you have the ingredients for but they're not good enough or distinct enough to be worth developing branding and taking up menu space goes on the secret menu. There's a McDonald's hack that's just like a slightly cheaper Big Mac if you construct it with custom orders.

If it turns into a thing that gets hyped on its own or if people wanna make a big show of being some weird elite burger secrets, gently caress that. That's dumb.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Secret menus make sense as a result of fast food places extensively pruning down their menus to make things faster with customers. Popular things that you have the ingredients for but they're not good enough or distinct enough to be worth developing branding and taking up menu space goes on the secret menu. There's a McDonald's hack that's just like a slightly cheaper Big Mac if you construct it with custom orders.

If it turns into a thing that gets hyped on its own or if people wanna make a big show of being some weird elite burger secrets, gently caress that. That's dumb.

RIP the Chili Cheese Burrito, in memory still bright.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ordering a Mcgangbang was the height of comedy freshman year of college, though I think a strict manager was all that kept the workers from murdering anyone who ordered it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Second consecutive session blown in half by a secret recording. The senate rammed through a bill in one day calling for the repricing of ERCOT overcharges, basically about 4-5bn flowing from generators back to the munis and coops. Abbott and the House told them to pound sand, and now this comes out....Abbott is fuuuuucked. The House was slowwalking this, ERCOT contracts have to be settled within 30 days and that term lapses at the end of the week. Dan wins again.

Holy poo poo that dude got fuuuuuucked. Good on Tx Monthly for putting out that story so fast.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Promising the investors that you'll protect the extortionate profits they raked in while the state was frozen is just old-school robber baron stuff. Promising that on a high-profile investor conference call is some cartoon villain poo poo.

Texas Monthly posted:

D’Andrea indicated that he expects to remain the sole regulator over the electric markets for the foreseeable future. He said he doesn’t think Abbott is interested in appointing new commissioners during the legislative session, when appointees would have to be confirmed by lawmakers. “I went from being on a very hot seat to having one of the safest jobs in Texas,” D’Andrea said. “I think it’s just going to be me for a while.”
Lol, whoops

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

gently caress these evil people, just gently caress them. This poo poo needs to be signal boosted to the mountaintops and people need to never live it down. It is a concrete refutation of so much of the bullshit system of market based governance we live under here.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sometimes wish RGA would do something useful but alas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1372175101244891137

lol they're gonna be cutting throats in there

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

wolfs posted:

One if the best things about In-n-Out is the simple menu, it keep the order line moving fast, and it let's the cooks crank things out assembly line. The "secret menu" thing is kinda exaggerated band it's really just some modifications you can make.

In other news, I tried Raising Cane's, and it's really good. Its like the In-n-Out of fried chicken. Simple menu, nothing fancy, just solid well made chicken that doesn't taste greasy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In and out came into the state but I'm still waiting for it to get out

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Dan wins again.
Would be kinda funny if another finger on the monkey's paw curls and Dan "I am not running against Greg Abbott" Patrick remains true to his word and goes on to win the 2022 gubernatorial election anyway

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/CourtneyABC13/status/1372117968755232769

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Farewell-to-Art-Acevedo-the-LeBron-James-of-16026663.php

lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

honestly shocked he didn't try a mayor run, Art's enough of an egotistical freak to genuinely think he could.

Also why don't people talk more about how he's literally an Infowars guest

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

eSporks posted:

In other news, I tried Raising Cane's, and it's really good. Its like the In-n-Out of fried chicken. Simple menu, nothing fancy, just solid well made chicken that doesn't taste greasy.

The backstory of Raising Cane's is awesome, basically the guy was a student at LSU and wrote up a business plan for a chicken finger restaurant and his professor told him that would never work. Him and his partner got a C- on the project. He opened his first restaurant outside the gates of LSU's campus and the rest is history.

Sardonik posted:

gently caress these evil people, just gently caress them. This poo poo needs to be signal boosted to the mountaintops and people need to never live it down. It is a concrete refutation of so much of the bullshit system of market based governance we live under here.

My local nextdoor is even super pissed off about this, and I'm in like an 80% R part of the state, very Trumpy. Of course these people only get pissed off about things when it directly affects them, gently caress everyone else, but still, they're going to have to do something about it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cane’s vs Layne’s was a big deal in college station. Consistent chain restaurant tenders vs chicken fingers cooked up by a bunch of extremely high college kids.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A place having too little selection like Raising Cane's kinda creeps me out.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine in Rockwall. Smooth process with no hiccups. My appointment was for 11:30 and I'm leaving at 11:25

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine in Rockwall. Smooth process with no hiccups. My appointment was for 11:30 and I'm leaving at 11:25

Side effects include: becoming unstuck in time

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

SlothfulCobra posted:

A place having too little selection like Raising Cane's kinda creeps me out.

Nah, it’s much better to just do one thing really well than to spread yourself thin and have a million items that all suck. Looking at you, Sonic.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I always preferred Chicken Express to Raising Cane's or Lane's, mostly because the tenders come with gravy. I just pop some of that hot serendepity seasoning in the gravy and dip the tenders in it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pobrecito posted:

Nah, it’s much better to just do one thing really well than to spread yourself thin and have a million items that all suck. Looking at you, Sonic.

Yeah but Canes has four items and one of them is basically inedible. It's the fries. The soggy mealy fries. Awful.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 17, 2021

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I like Willie’s Chicken Shack in Louisiana, but it may be because I’ve only ever eaten them while starving levels of drunk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

mastajake posted:

I always preferred Chicken Express to Raising Cane's or Lane's, mostly because the tenders come with gravy. I just pop some of that hot serendepity seasoning in the gravy and dip the tenders in it.

Chicken express has some fantastic sides but their chicken is weird. The batter is pale and doesn’t really taste like anything?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Which one has the spicy tenders? Chicken express or golden chick?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

RisqueBarber posted:

Chicken Express has spicy, at least some locations. I haven't been to a golden chick in probably a decade so unknown on that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

RisqueBarber posted:

Golden Chick’s spicy tenders with gravy are extremely good.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Golden chick has the best chicken, and also they sell corn nuggets

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
best chicken is chicken express come at me

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
speaking of texas
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1372194031346667526?s=20

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hoping this happens but don't know if I want to see a 28 year old Bobby Hill.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

One part of me is like yes i love KotH on the other hand, I like KotH because it ended and is unable to disappoint me now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fried okra best side

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

fried okra best side

That's a weird way to spell Luby's Mac n Cheese. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeeeeaaah, 2021 Mike Judge would make Bobby some kind of earnest libertarian dipshit and have Hank go full Both Sides with false equivalency poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Golden Chick’s spicy tenders with gravy are extremely good.

This is factual.

But Chicken Express sells fried livers, and I can eat those by the bucketful when I'm stoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Working at Cane's is a weird purgatory of awful. If you're up front you have to greet every customer with some stupid chicken-themed salutation and deal with hordes of college kids, and in the back there's literally four stations. Plus they close at like 2am and are constantly busy. So you just literally do the same thing standing in the same place for six-eight hours and then have to close the store and by the time you get home it may as well have been a night shift because the sun may well be rising depending on how much of a stickler your manager is. They're also the kind of place that absolutely won't give you food, even if it's leftovers to be thrown out at close.

All for a cool eight bucks.

Also aside from the sauce the only reason to go there is if you eat it immediately. Everything gets soggy like a minute after it goes into one of those lovely styrofoam containers, which leaves the chicken still ok but does in the already sad fries.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 17, 2021