Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

a Loving Dog posted:

The game was cross play enabled. Checkmate. I also suggest watching the ad past the credits.

:ughh: Somehow I was too impatient to let the video play out all the way each time I watched it. I guess I wasn't expecting a post-credits scene for a minute-long ad :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The_Doctor posted:

He was on ice for years at a time, apparently.

I know the answer is, "as long as the plot requires," but I do wonder how long it's been for him subjectively since WW2. Cap was frozen for 70 years, then awake for more than a continuous decade leading up to Endgame. I got the sense that Bucky was trained and conditioned for some number of years following the war, then only thawed out for a few days or weeks at a time for this or that mission. This is before he goes AWOL in CA2, then voluntarily freezes himself in Wakanda, then turns to dust for 5 years.

80 years have elapsed, but maybe it only felt like a couple for him and those years were loving *rough*.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The whole "super soldier serum/process" thing is also weird.

It was only successful once, with Steve, then Erskine was murdered and no one knew the secrets.

Until it was reverse-engineered during the cold war with Bucky.

And then reverse-engineered AGAIN by Stark in the early 90's, and then stolen and used to create more "Winter Soldiers" that Zemo then killed when he infiltrated the facility.

So where did Bucky's formula come from, and why weren't their more Soviet Super Soldiers from his era ?(Not sure if they gave a date, but I think it was late 50's or 60's when he was found by the Soviet Union?)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

HYDRA never gave Bucky any serum. HYDRA picked Bucky because he'd already received Erskine's serum, following a years-long down-low relationship with Steve Rogers as they fought Nazis and hosed their way across Europe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DrBouvenstein posted:

The whole "super soldier serum/process" thing is also weird.

It was only successful once, with Steve, then Erskine was murdered and no one knew the secrets.

Until it was reverse-engineered during the cold war with Bucky.
I always thought Bucky got his ersatz super soldier serum when he was Zola's prisoner during WW2, and that's how he survived the fall.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:downs:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Desperado Bones posted:

Is this from the comic book?, because it never happened in the movie. The serum was lost forever and all was left was in Steve's blood, and it was never shown that the USA military tried to replicate the serum. It was implied that HYDRA had been experimenting with Bucky and other captive soldiers. So by logic they had been trying to replicate that poo poo on their own.

its a gay joke about semen

e: unless you knew that i dont know sarcasm is real hard to read online

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

its a gay joke about semen

e: unless you knew that i dont know sarcasm is real hard to read online

I KNOW NOW.

:lol: Sorry, I had a dumb moment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find it odd that the only appearance of US Agent in any of the trailers is that scene on the stage. Almost all of the combat stuff seems to be Bucky/Falcon vs. Flag Smasher/goons/Baron Zemo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It took me too long to get the pun in US Agent, drat you comic books.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It took me too long to get the pun in US Agent, drat you comic books.
On a related note, I'm still waiting for Ulysses Solomon Archer to finally appear in the MCU.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find it odd that the only appearance of US Agent in any of the trailers is that scene on the stage. Almost all of the combat stuff seems to be Bucky/Falcon vs. Flag Smasher/goons/Baron Zemo

It's not uncommon for Marvel movies. Ray Winstone is in Black Widow and I don't think he's been in a single piece of advertising.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Robot Hobo posted:

On a related note, I'm still waiting for Ulysses Solomon Archer to finally appear in the MCU.

God that's the sort of F-level character Agents of Shield would have used.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

God that's the sort of F-level character Agents of Shield would have used.

Yes. Like the guy whose power was to scream weird and kill every bird in a mile radius.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xealot posted:

Yes. Like the guy whose power was to scream weird and kill every bird in a mile radius.

I just imagine some Marvel exec going through The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe with a sharpie "no, no, no, no, ...yeah, no, no, yeah, no, no" and then handing it to the AoS writers with the proviso they can only use whichever characters he didn't cross out.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

He was on ice for years at a time, apparently.

Plus, it's loving HYDRA. Ethical constraints on experimentation weren't really a thing for them.

"The Winter Soldier is getting a few frown lines. Toss an extra few children into the extractor to smooth those things out."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DrBouvenstein posted:

You think Bucky, former WWII "special ops" equivalent soldier, turned mindless ruthless super-soldier assassin, turned "regular" super soldier, but still a bit ruthless, ever really REALLY hates that he is still called Bucky?

Like...drat, I know the comics started him off as a literal teen boy sidekick and it was the 40's so a "cutesy poo" nickname wasn't out of place, but you'd think at this point he'd snap and just be like,
"My name is loving JAMES, ok? I'm not a 12 year old boy!"

In Civil War when Zemo disguised as a therapist addresses him as James he demands to be referred to as Bucky.

Conversely, he doesn't want Falcon to call him Bucky because that was Steve's name for him.

His self-identity is complex. Reasonably so.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

howe_sam posted:

I always thought Bucky got his ersatz super soldier serum when he was Zola's prisoner during WW2, and that's how he survived the fall.

Yeah, that's my thought too. Him "falling into the ice" in the same way Cap would shortly after, and surviving, seems like a good clue pointing to this.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

howe_sam posted:

I guess his wiki says he got a little bit of experimentation when he was Zola's prisoner, and that allowed him to survive the fall and stay "alive" while frozen in a river, and then further experimentation by the Soviet-arm of HYDRA.

So still no firm answers on where they got their versions of super solider serum from, other than I guess reverse-engineered by Zola and other HYDRA scientists probably from a combo of samples from Red Skull and Cap, if he left, like, blood somewhere. And maybe a little bit of help from when they briefly had the Tesseract/Space Stone?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't that part of the point of US Agent? At least from what little I remember in the comics, isn't he mostly supposed to be a "show piece" for the military so everyone "back home" is all "Rah rah let's kill brown people?"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sanguinia posted:

In Civil War when Zemo disguised as a therapist addresses him as James he demands to be referred to as Bucky.

Conversely, he doesn't want Falcon to call him Bucky because that was Steve's name for him.

His self-identity is complex. Reasonably so.

I thought this was "don't call me Buck," (excluding the y, that isn't a typo) but it occurs to me that I'm not sure we see anyone (other than Cap) call Bucky anything to his face in the movies, so who knows.

I also like the idea that this show is going to give some time to the massive trauma-ball that Bucky's life has been, and all these MCU TV shows are just "boy our heroes live really lovely lives huh?"

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 17, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hello, I am new to this thread. I just finished WandaVision last night after my second sitting. I did 1-3 on Monday and the last 6 episodes just blended together more like a regular Marvel movie.

I really enjoyed the show. It was creepy and unsettling in a very fun way.

I like Vision here about 10,000x more than I did in the films. I’m not sure I understand why Wanda’s version of Vision would imaginary version of Vision would be smarter than Wanda, or able to break free of his own mind control.

I absolutely loving hate Agnes’s actress in everything. She’s just been so front in center in so many shows I’ve watched and there’s just something about her energy//vibe that I just cannot gently caress with, so I was supremely disappointed that she ended up being so important to the plot.

Overall the writing felt tighter and less clunky than the last few MCU films.

One thing that ended up emotionally resonating with me that was supremely unexpected was the way Malcolm in the Middle played into the series. The old time Nick @ Nite style shows were equally outside of my experience as I’m sure they were for many of you, but I was absolutely floored by the overwhelming nostalgia in the 90’s style Grounded-For-Life/MitM episode. It was a series of triggers and touchstones I’ve never really thought about because I lived through it, so the hokiness and the weird too-the-camera stuff, the cutaways... really clever really cool really interesting way to play with the audience!!

My 3 questions are:

1) so are the kids... real? They are like ghost meat babies made out of imaginary data? Are they ‘dead’? Did they ever exist in the first place?

2) I’m only asking as someone whose a huge fan of the comics but doesn’t follow the lore of the films as much: Is this the only permutation of Marvel in which Wanda and Pietro aren’t romantically involved? Their romance is pretty important to the weird places their stories end up in the books, but there’s no way mainstream audiences buy that relationship, so I have to imagine that’s just not in the films, yeah?

3) So Silver Vision just... flew away? What the gently caress is up with that?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Bust Rodd posted:

2) I’m only asking as someone whose a huge fan of the comics but doesn’t follow the lore of the films as much: Is this the only permutation of Marvel in which Wanda and Pietro aren’t romantically involved?

Wait.....what the fuccckkk?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I got the impression that the combination of the paradox and the restoration of his memories freaked White Vision out and so he took off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He's probably gone to Mars to soul search or something before coming back for the next team up film.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pastamania posted:

Mr Big Fan of the Comics here means to say that he's read The Ultimates, which was written by peak edgelord Mark Millar and continued by Jeph "Don't Leave Him Alone With Anyone" Loeb. It's only hinted at in Ultimates 2 that Wanda and Pietro are "inappropriately close" when some people think there's something a bit off about their relationship, but it's made explicit in Loeb's appalling Ultimates 3 where it's mentioned that their sex tape leaked. In the mainstream Marvel Universe nothing of the kind happens.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The kids are a construction of the Hex like Vision is. What’s up in the air with the end stinger is whether some entity made them real, or something. For certain we haven’t seen the last of them since they are well established characters in the comics now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pastamania posted:

Oh yeah, it's a whole Mark Millar thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I guess I've always thought that was a persistent storyline that they adapted for the Ultimates and not an original idea but yes I'll cop to the Ultimates being my introduction to these characters and I read all that stuff and thought it was good, so w/e my bad.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Jedit posted:

Mr Big Fan of the Comics here means to say that he's read The Ultimates, which was written by peak edgelord Mark Millar and continued by Jeph "Don't Leave Him Alone With Anyone" Loeb. It's only hinted at in Ultimates 2 that Wanda and Pietro are "inappropriately close" when some people think there's something a bit off about their relationship, but it's made explicit in Loeb's appalling Ultimates 3 where it's mentioned that their sex tape leaked. In the mainstream Marvel Universe nothing of the kind happens.

:stare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I guess I've always thought that was a persistent storyline that they adapted for the Ultimates and not an original idea but yes I'll cop to the Ultimates being my introduction to these characters and I read all that stuff and thought it was good, so w/e my bad.

You thought the Ultimates was good?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Ultimates didn't age well but they were honestly a breath of fresh air when they came out in 2002 (was it so long ago :psyduck:). Well, the first 2 not the other dreck where the blob ate someone or whatever

They felt like a prototype test on how they could try to make marvel superheroes into something more akin to blockbuster action heroes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Captain Oblivious posted:

I was literally 16 jesus christ lmao way to gatekeep

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Millar's Ultimates was good. He and Bryan Hitch were expanding the "wide-screen comics" ethos that Hitch had created with Warren Ellis for The Authority into the Marvel universe, in the process portraying heroes as messed up people interacting with the real world. It's far from perfect - there's little distinction in the character voices, and it tries too hard to be edgy at points - but Marvel was still recovering from the collector-driven nightmare of the 90s and it was a much needed kick up the rear end for a moribund property. It was Ultimates 3 that trampled on everything it set up; replacing Hitch's clean art with Madureira's mess, while Loeb didn't even appear to know he was writing in the Ultimate Universe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Ultimates is certainly hit and miss, but I really liked Ultimate Fantastic Four. Does that make me terrible?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Ultimates is certainly hit and miss, but I really liked Ultimate Fantastic Four. Does that make me terrible?

Ultimate F4 is the book that started the universe. It and Ultimate Spidey are the backbone of it and I think they both weathered well, but they were more an attempt to reboot to the basics than to shake things up.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ultimates is a really weird read these days because the good parts, and there were quite a few, were mostly picked up and carried by the MCU and then reverse applied to the regular Marvel universe when the MCU got popular, so they just read as standard comics takes now. But the bad parts, which start early with Hulk trying to sexually assault Betty Ross and eat Freddie Prince Jr, get real bad real fast and stand out even more now than they did back then.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 17, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I loved the early years of the Ultimate universe, including The Ultimates. Most of the characters in The Ultimates are lovely though (but there is something to be said about Ultimate Cap being a more realistic portrayal of what would happen if you made a regular soldier from the '40s into a god and then put him in the modern world).

Jedit posted:

Ultimate F4 is the book that started the universe. It and Ultimate Spidey are the backbone of it and I think they both weathered well, but they were more an attempt to reboot to the basics than to shake things up.

It was UXM and USM. UF4 was years later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mastajake posted:

It was UXM and USM. UF4 was years later.

I'll take your word for it, but I would have sworn blind it was F4 first.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ultimate XMen and Ultimate Spider-Man were the comics that absolutely every teenage boy in my neighborhood read and talked about, and they were basically the gateway comics that all of us launched off of into greater comic bookery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
^^^ (edit: to Jedit) nope, definitely U-X-Men and U-Spidey by a couple of years. UFF was really good, though (in my memory; I haven't reread it in a very long time now).

mastajake posted:

I loved the early years of the Ultimate universe, including The Ultimates. Most of the characters in The Ultimates are lovely though (but there is something to be said about Ultimate Cap being a more realistic portrayal of what would happen if you made a regular soldier from the '40s into a god and then put him in the modern world).

Especially in the GWB years.