Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Farg posted:

Sydney mcelroy was right to yell at a snake oil salesman if anything she should've put them through a table

I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Once again we've just doubled down to 'if you ever apologize it's clearly being forced, nobody ever genuinely thinks they did something lame' and just straight up writing fanfics about strangers to justify assuming they must be malicious and lying when they say 'this sucks'.

Like, just call them a name and move on if you're that fundamentally opposed to the concept of anyone sharing genuine annoyance with others or whatever you don't need to jump through all these hoops to imagine why they must be just trying to hurt our poor podcast boy out of evilness and spite.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
sexpig by night did you hit your head recently or something because travis is like a single person's favorite podcast boy and everyone else quietly tolerates him at best or outright hates him. your perception of what you think other people think is warped and weird

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Travis thing is a combination of him being extremely loud and omnipresent and the Stolen Queer Valor thing. His commitment to crowd-pleasing innoffensive pablum and addiction to praise deffo starts to sting when this financially secure, creatively successful cis straight dude gets accolades and attention for mediocre poo poo whilst cosplaying with queer signifiers while so many queer people face discrimination, violence, homelessness, etc. for daring to be themselves.

There's also stuff like his failed campaign to use social media pressure to get a cameo on Supernatural, the low quality of the TTRPG podcast now that he's GMing, and lying to Austin Walker and other TTRPG figureheads about the MaxFun drive. The dude cannot stay out of the spotlight.

If Travis discoveres something about his gender and/or sexuality down the line, great. I think it's deeply uncouth to speculate about that, especially publically. But this social media break is long overdue because the dude has a deeply unhealthy relationship with fame.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

The Travis thing is a combination of him being extremely loud and omnipresent and the Stolen Queer Valor thing. His commitment to crowd-pleasing innoffensive pablum and addiction to praise deffo starts to sting when this financially secure, creatively successful cis straight dude gets accolades and attention for mediocre poo poo whilst cosplaying with queer signifiers while so many queer people face discrimination, violence, homelessness, etc. for daring to be themselves.

There's also stuff like his failed campaign to use social media pressure to get a cameo on Supernatural, the low quality of the TTRPG podcast now that he's GMing, and lying to Austin Walker and other TTRPG figureheads about the MaxFun drive. The dude cannot stay out of the spotlight.

If Travis discoveres something about his gender and/or sexuality down the line, great. I think it's deeply uncouth to speculate about that, especially publically. But this social media break is long overdue because the dude has a deeply unhealthy relationship with fame.

genuinely did wonder when the first 'no, really, this is why it's justifiable to think travis is faking his entire personality and presentation' post was going to show up in response but i didn't really think 'he wanted to be on supernatural and also i don't like the adventure zone' was going to be a central part of it

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
he's not saying Travis is "faking" he's saying "this is why he's loving obnoxious"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Farg posted:

he's not saying Travis is "faking" he's saying "this is why he's loving obnoxious"

then he probably shouldn't have called it "stolen queer valor" and "cosplaying with queer signifiers"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think that when you have McElroy-level fame it becomes inappropriate to try to mobilize your young audience against the production team of a cancelled TV show for clout. It invites harassment.

I think that behaviors like those, and being dishonest to people like Austin Walker about the profit motives of the MaxFun Drive stream, indicate really mixed-up priorities that are going to burn bridges and create a negative reputation.

And I think that those behaviors are a lot easier to get away with without harming your reputation if you're making something that people like and care about, but instead Travis is the face of the least successful full iteration of The Adventure Zone.

As someone who uses performative egomania to combat imposter syndrome and depression in my own personal life, I sympathize with the Middlest McElroy - but as a bi man battling depression, I was very very irritated by yesterday's tweetstorm.

As for the queer valor thing, I definitely found it frustrating as a bi dude to hear that kind of horsepiss "no homo" stuff from Travis in particular wrt Harry Styles since Mr. Styles was one of the men that made me, personally, realize and recognize my capacity for attraction to men. When you signal yourself as an ally with things like playing a bi woman for a year in a TTRPG, talking about makeup pallets and stuff on twitter, etc, those kinds of homophobic remarks sting even harder.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 17, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

What was the story there?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Uhh the MaxFun Drive thing was this past summer but it's probably chronicled in the Mcelroy thread? I'm posting from bed or I'd check myselt.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Travis hosted a show with a bunch of other gm's like Austin walker and matt Mercer to promote the Max fun drive, but didn't actually tell them it was for the Max fun drive until the end of the show lol

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

flatluigi posted:

genuinely did wonder when the first 'no, really, this is why it's justifiable to think travis is faking his entire personality and presentation' post was going to show up in response but i didn't really think 'he wanted to be on supernatural and also i don't like the adventure zone' was going to be a central part of it
Isn't that post basically just echoing what Travis himself said in the apology?
https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1371981100311003136

Here's a video on peculiar (not that the regular ones aren't weird as hell to begin with) beauty pageants.
Not Exactly Normal-"Miss Correct Posture & The Hot Dog Queens: The Rise And Fall Of Beauty Pageants"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11dhAlaVMK4

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

As for the queer valor thing, I definitely found it frustrating as a bi dude to hear that kind of horsepiss "no homo" stuff from Travis in particular wrt Harry Styles since Mr. Styles was one of the men that made me, personally, realize and recognize my capacity for attraction to men. When you signal yourself as an ally with things like playing a bi woman for a year in a TTRPG, talking about makeup pallets and stuff on twitter, etc, those kinds of homophobic remarks sting even harder.

but seriously why does it come across to you as 'this straight man is faking it for attention' instead of 'i remember being closeted and thinking there was no way i could be bi until i got over that hump myself'

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

fun hater posted:

sexpig by night did you hit your head recently or something because travis is like a single person'sfavorite podcast boy and everyone else quietly tolerates him at best or outright hates him. your perception of what you think other people think is warped and weird
Sorry I got mad about some dumb poo poo Zach Snyder said about us Gays so now I get to be epically owned with mild twitter drama to highlight my hypocracy or whatever. Basically because Zach said something problematic something I like must also be problematic else I may have a 'valid' reason for disliking daddy Snyder and that can't stand.

I chose Travis as my avatar because he's supremely awkward but incredibly confident and therefore drives goons insane lol.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Sorry I got mad about some dumb poo poo Zach Snyder said about us Gays so now I get to be epically owned with mild twitter drama to highlight my hypocracy or whatever. Basically because Zach said something problematic something I like must also be problematic else I may have a 'valid' reason for disliking daddy Snyder and that can't stand.

I chose Travis as my avatar because he's supremely awkward but incredibly confident and therefore drives goons insane lol.

do i have some kind of reality warping field around my posts that causes people who read them to go insane or something because what the hell are you talking about

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

do i have some kind of reality warping field around my posts that causes people who read them to go insane or something because what the hell are you talking about

personally, I just think everyone in this thread smokes cocaine

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Where in my post did I say he was faking for attention?
  • I said that it can hurt to see someone financially successful and insulated from consequences flirt with queer signifiers while so many people are forced into the closet by family dynamics and economic terror
  • I said that it hurts to see homophobic rhetoric come from someone who advertises themselves as a reliable ally, which magnifies that sense of Travis queer-coding himself without a real intrinsic understanding of the social risks that entails for so many people
  • I said that if Travis comes to conclusions about his sexuality or gender, that's great and I'll personally welcome it, because then the narrative changes from "straight cis dude costuming himself carelessly while regurgitating homophobic sentiments" to "rocky journey of self-discovery". Some people still won't trust like that and that's fine too, and they'll still be entitled to be irritated by other stuff, like the MaxFunDrive thing.
  • Lastly, obviously it's great when a queer person can be themselves without risk of terror and suffering. That's the world we want to live in. But I'm not going to begrudge less fortunate people than Travis or I (I'm not even out to any of my family, still) their frustrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fun hater posted:

maybe he thought 'sexpig by night' was a fun nickname instead of you responding to a different poster entirely

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't help but roll my eyes a bit at the whole "queer signifier" thing in a discussion involving Harry Styles, I'm sorry.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
again, like, this is what people are calling "homophobic rhetoric"

Yardbomb posted:

What, this is somehow a big bad statement? :psyduck:

Like that doesn't even read as a "no homo" thing to me, can you not make a jokey remark about thinking about your own sexuality, this is weird as hell to imagine a backlash over to me.

Or like can straight guys not be platonically attracted to other guys and have a laugh at themselves?

But then looking at the replies there's some real weird ones, accusing him of "queerbaiting" himself like he's a TV show I guess? Or that him painting his nails or coloring his hair is gay appropriation, what.

dude said he's been watching harry styles perform a bunch in his own time and really enjoys it, and he can see himself having a relationship with him, but then he goes 'god it's weird that i'm thinking this given how straight i am'

like, dude's talking about himself and his feelings about things he's doing in his own time. i'm gay and i genuinely can't read anything homophobic in this if i tried (which i did, because i had to double check something wasn't going entirely over my head here)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A video on how Bergman filmed faces
Thomas Flight-"The Director Who Mastered The Art of Filming Faces"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK4KO0E5Ze0

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

flatluigi posted:

maybe he thought 'sexpig by night' was a fun nickname instead of you responding to a different poster entirely
Yeah I'm probably just being weird and defensive in this case but like "you have a macellroy avatar" was used against me out of nowhere in this thread before when talking about Zach Snyder and homophobia so I felt a little targeted by this discussion, I'll shut up.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

*snooooort* Give us the hbomberguy cut of the Snyder Star Wars prequels.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

flatluigi posted:

again, like, this is what people are calling "homophobic rhetoric"

dude said he's been watching harry styles perform a bunch in his own time and really enjoys it, and he can see himself having a relationship with him, but then he goes 'god it's weird that i'm thinking this given how straight i am'

like, dude's talking about himself and his feelings about things he's doing in his own time. i'm gay and i genuinely can't read anything homophobic in this if i tried (which i did, because i had to double check something wasn't going entirely over my head here)

it's almost like people are taking the "gay-baiting" critique that you see so often about shows (usually just the fans shipping actors together and getting mad it doesn't happen)....but applied to a real living person.

I mean the tweet is annoying as gently caress for sure.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Travis who is your commanding officer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
for gay valor it's cummanding officer

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
queerbaiting is a kind of wack term to apply to a person. either your insinuating anything non-cishet someone does is all an act to court a certain audience, or your saying that having non-cishet signifiers in your appearance or personality is "stolen valour" as it were. like "if your gonna dye your hair you BETTER have something lgbt going on with your sexuality" or "you must be at least this questioning of your gender to grow your hair out or paint your nails". It's weird

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's that he ended it with 'I'M shocked I'm not queer' as if somehow he 'should' be, this isn't a complicated concept.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

it's that he ended it with 'I'M shocked I'm not queer' as if somehow he 'should' be, this isn't a complicated concept.

neither is turning on you're monitor and yet

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I can't believe I went to the trouble of acquiring and watching the Snyder dc movies so I could at least participate in these repetitive derails but now everyone is yelling about the least interesting McElroy brother instead :negative:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jamie Faith posted:

I can't believe I went to the trouble of acquiring and watching the Snyder dc movies so I could at least participate in these repetitive derails but now everyone is yelling about the least interesting McElroy brother instead :negative:

you say this like people will never talk about snyder again

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

flatluigi posted:

you say this like people will never talk about snyder again

true lol I just thought it was funny that I was expecting a snyder derail today but instead got....whatever the gently caress this derail was

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it could have just stayed in the mcelroy thread but noooooooo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jamie Faith posted:

Go watch all three cuts of Watchmen and the debate will be roaring by the time you're done. Doesn't the Snyder version of Justice League start streaming today?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

queerbaiting is when you dangle a copy of "nightmare on elm street 2" in front of me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alaois posted:

I boof it

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Some More News - Happy Joe Biden Criticism Day

https://youtu.be/4VZxJliN_UQ

Austin Eruption - Good Licensed Games

https://youtu.be/qdIkakuW6bg

Mother's Basement - The UNFATHOMABLE GENIUS of Sonic's Aesthetic

https://youtu.be/AMBMsuy6WyQ

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well, Queer Stolen Valor's a new one on me. I get what it means mind. Hoo-rah

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Queer Valor > Troop Valor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

So what did you think of Beavis? Inquiring minds want to know!