Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like the ability to build improvements that damage enemies moving across them in the zombie mode. I both wish and don't wish for that to be in the normal mode because I'd love to be able to clog up sections of the map with them but I also wouldn't want to see the AI spam the gently caress out of them. Maybe have them in a very limited way, where a city can build fortification that scales based on population to help you defend tall cities.

Overall zombie mode seems interesting but not great. Portugal seems good, I like naval Civs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lol, now that I think about it, it would be funny if there were an achievement for building the Torre de Belém, Golden Gate Bridge and Christ the Redeemer in Lisbon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
civ 6 continues to remind me why i only play civ 4 and 5

for example it's easier to tell what a tile is by its yields than by what it looks like on the screen, because hills are invisible and forest/hills are REALLY impossible to see

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fur20 posted:

for example it's easier to tell what a tile is by its yields than by what it looks like on the screen, because hills are invisible and forest/hills are REALLY impossible to see

Civ V is so much prettier than VI, because I don't need to play with yield icons turned on (among other reasons).

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fur20 posted:

I have been using the civ 5 skin for so long that I honestly don’t even remember what base civ 6 tiles look like. I am constantly surprised when I see streamers without the mod.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I would have figured the move to a more colorful and less realistic art design would have allowed them to differentiate tiles more, not less.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Civ V is extremely drab-looking. It's a stark contrast when I go from playing one to the other.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There's a relatively recent hillier-hills mod that makes them stand out quite a bit more. Works with the Civ V skin, too.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Rosemont posted:

Civ V is extremely drab-looking. It's a stark contrast when I go from playing one to the other.

I dunno if its time or just my now unfamiliarity with it but every time i look at civ v art im so shocked by how boring and flat it looks now. It got by a lot on the beautiful terrain and not being the artistic monstrosities that were 3 and 4.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Been playing Civ4 MP games for the last 2 months. Game is good.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I presume the overlap in appreciation for Civ and Alpha Centauri is pretty high here. In that light, I spent most of a morning reading this and reminiscing: Paean to SMAC

The author has some decent insights into the meta-narrative. You might also enjoy it. It's a great reminder of just how loving good the writing was in Alpha Centauri.

(also, start here and click through the navigator bar at the bottom.)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In both my current game and the one before, I played with the corporations thing enabled. And in both games the AI civs never (or almost never) have luxury resources to trade.

Is that a bug or something Im not understanding? Does having an industry for a resource keeps you from trading it or something? In any case, it makes managing amenities very hard later on

Also great works: in my current game, no AI player as a single one in their trade screen. And I didint got all the great artists and writers, actually I got only a few. Where are those great works going?

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
I'm having trouble with the Barbarian Clans mechanics. I don't know how to do the new interactions with them besides Raiding or Destroying the camp. On top of that, AI Civs keep clearing camps or the Barbarians become City-States. Any advice?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dopefish Lives! posted:

I'm having trouble with the Barbarian Clans mechanics. I don't know how to do the new interactions with them besides Raiding or Destroying the camp. On top of that, AI Civs keep clearing camps or the Barbarians become City-States. Any advice?

You click at them, at the red thing.

I never managed to see one become a city state either, though. Either someone clears it or I do it myself cause they are too near and/or in the way

edit: no need to move armies there, like to raid or destroy it. just click it like you would any city

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

You click at them, at the red thing.

I never managed to see one become a city state either, though. Either someone clears it or I do it myself cause they are too near and/or in the way

edit: no need to move armies there, like to raid or destroy it. just click it like you would any city

if they are in civilized areas you really need to cultivate and protect them because the ai (especially city states) love to burn them down. otherwise youll get a few city states crammed up in the edges of the map mid-late game

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

In both my current game and the one before, I played with the corporations thing enabled. And in both games the AI civs never (or almost never) have luxury resources to trade.

Is that a bug or something Im not understanding? Does having an industry for a resource keeps you from trading it or something? In any case, it makes managing amenities very hard later on

Also great works: in my current game, no AI player as a single one in their trade screen. And I didint got all the great artists and writers, actually I got only a few. Where are those great works going?

I had it happen in both Corp games I tried and then I gave up on the mode for that reason. Imo both corporations and dramatic ages modes are great ideas that don't actually function correctly (the ai just can't deal with free cities)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Starks posted:

I have been using the civ 5 skin for so long that I honestly don’t even remember what base civ 6 tiles look like. I am constantly surprised when I see streamers without the mod.

That's my experience as well. I don't mind the colors or the sketched map stylings for Civ VI but the tiles themselves just don't look as good, so I've stuck with that mod since the moment it released.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Best Friends posted:

I had it happen in both Corp games I tried and then I gave up on the mode for that reason. Imo both corporations and dramatic ages modes are great ideas that don't actually function correctly (the ai just can't deal with free cities)

Yeah Im convinced theres something wrong

Its late game and I started looking at the AI cities: all packed with undeveloped luxury resources

Also that probably explains why AI cities are even smaller than they usually are (no amenities)

But drat, I liked the corportations. Fix your poo poo, firaxis

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 18, 2021

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Monopolies and corps works fine for me, I don't know what to tell you guys. I play with it on quite a bit now. IMO the worst thing about it is how severe the tourism boost you get is. 25 or even 50% for a monopoly would be good and a fun thing to consider - 120% is way too much. I find if you have the mode turned on you're basically forced into going for a cultural win.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just turn off cultural victories then?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://youtu.be/Q8teuRXFSks

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks pretty nuts. But fun!

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1372563516205449217

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Seem pretty good!

I would say they skew towards science/diplomacy, which is a fun mix.

I will definitely use a Feitora to grief another player out of a wonder spots.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well that's one way to make a busted Naval civ :stare:

This civ is gonna be nuts on island maps especially, but even on non-coastal maps that +1 trade route from just meeting civs is an amazing civ merely on its own.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Calico Heart posted:

Monopolies and corps works fine for me, I don't know what to tell you guys. I play with it on quite a bit now. IMO the worst thing about it is how severe the tourism boost you get is. 25 or even 50% for a monopoly would be good and a fun thing to consider - 120% is way too much. I find if you have the mode turned on you're basically forced into going for a cultural win.

They do work fine, but it seems to have the side effect of making AI forget to have luxury resources, or maybe just dont trade them, Im not sure.

But the fact is: every game I had this on, the AI almost never had luxury resources to trade, even late game. And Im not the only one seeing this, people here and elsewhere reported it too

edit: Im not sure it related to the game mode, but I know I never had this problem before. The AI always had plenty luxury resources to trade, like they should

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 18, 2021

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Feitoria's seem pretty cool for a co-op game with a friend. For obvious reasons the Civ probably isn't very good on a Pangaea game, but should be a lot of fun on fractal and other maps where you'll really be able to take advantage of coastal tiles and long distance routes. The naval school is interesting but feels maybe a little slow since you might have some sub-optimal university placement due to have to camp the coastline. Maybe it will make up for it, I dunno.

I'd say I'm less excited than I was for Vietnam but it still keeps with them making Civs that are really unique and different from each other so I'm happy about that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Portugal doesn't seem much my bag but I'm happy it's continuing the design of making unique and neat concepts and all.

Really hoping the next plan is another frontier pass or an expansion rather than Civ 7

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

a trade route whenever you meet a new civ is wild

Calico Heart posted:

trivializing culture victories on every difficulty makes it not fine imo, which is a shame because other wise it'd be the game mode i played with most regularly

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

double negative posted:

a trade route whenever you meet a new civ is wild

Yeah that definitely got a :stare: from me, but the limit on coastal/harbor cities for international routes definitely scales it back. That of course is largely dependent on map script--I almost always play on continents & islands, but even with the surplus routes you can always just do domestic ones for max growth.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I like that balancing a lot, extra trade routes is insane but the only way to maximize them requires careful planning, but still even then if you can't you can still do domestic routes that are fine.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Imo continents and islands is a very fun map layout and leads to some of the more interesting maps and play experiences

Also, navigation school is insanely powerful. Probably nerf- worthy. The bonus is 4 science standard, plus +1 for every 2 coastal tiles. Even ignoring the naval production bonus, that is crazy considering as Portugal you will be exclusively founding along the coast anyway, and your trade routes to your own cities will yield 50% more science on top of that.

“Navigation school” is a very lame name though. That was the best they could do?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Calico Heart posted:

“Navigation school” is a very lame name though. That was the best they could do?

Yeah, it could be Escola de Sagres, for ex

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

Imo continents and islands is a very fun map layout and leads to some of the more interesting maps and play experiences

Also, navigation school is insanely powerful. Probably nerf- worthy. The bonus is 4 science standard, plus +1 for every 2 coastal tiles. Even ignoring the naval production bonus, that is crazy considering as Portugal you will be exclusively founding along the coast anyway, and your trade routes to your own cities will yield 50% more science on top of that.

I played an exclusively coastal game the other day when I played as phoenicia and got stuck on a chain of small landmasses, and honestly it was the easiest game I ever played on deity so far, portugal sounds even easier than that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dopefish Lives! posted:

Elias_Maluco posted:

basically, if a barbarian clan "can" spawn units, it will accumulate points toward evolving into a city state every turn. i don't think the cs threshold or accumulation rate changes over game speeds so if you play on faster speeds it may seem like it takes forever while on epic or marathon they'll start maturing by the classical or medieval eras. but they seem to generate more points per turn the closer they are to becoming a city state. you can speed this up further by bribing them, but the boost is quite small relative to the total needed to flip to a cs.

raiding reduces their current points. but, typically make slightly more points per turn than you can remove by raiding between cooldowns.

for civs that have a UA that activates when you clear an encampment, it doesn't recognize destroying an encampment as destroying one. which is to say these UAs are worthless in this mode. fix your game firaxis!!!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, they should have gone with “nautical school” which is a term used by real Portuguese naval focused universities.

Still, it’s not like it’s the lamest improvement name in this game. For me that is still the Japanese “Electronics Factory”. Clearly, only the Japanese could conceive of such an outlandish concept! A FACTORY...that makes ELECTRONICS!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AceOfFlames posted:

Still, it’s not like it’s the lamest improvement name in this game. For me that is still the Japanese “Electronics Factory”. Clearly, only the Japanese could conceive such a thing!

seriously. maid cafe in the culture district was right there!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Fur20 posted:

seriously. maid cafe in the culture district was right there!
Akihabara unique district, uses faith to spawn the "Weeaboo" UU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

uses faith to spawn the "Weeaboo" UU

That should only be purchasable by other civs while Japan is in the game.

Auto-purchasable every X turns. Like a faith drain.

Now, I'll go make some onigiri for my kid. :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

AceOfFlames posted:

Still, it’s not like it’s the lamest improvement name in this game. For me that is still the Japanese “Electronics Factory”. Clearly, only the Japanese could conceive of such an outlandish concept! A FACTORY...that makes ELECTRONICS!

They wanted to make Japan's UB "Nintendo Headquarters" but their legal department stopped them one week before release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
is there a mod that adds keyboard shortcuts? i found one mod for numpad movement and it doesn't work anymore!!