Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

v1ld posted:

Was looking for a sub $500 2080ti when the 3080 was released, saw several listed at $550-750 here in NYC. That was a small window, before the true picture of the shortagedemand was clear.

God do I feel bad for the people who sold their 2080Tis for like 500-700 before the 30 series launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General rule is to not OC on a laptop GPU. You're probably running into a hard power limit they have set for the card so it doesn't melt your laptop. Have you tried using MSI afterburner? You can try setting power to 120% and then trying to OC

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Use afterburner to see if you are hitting power limit. It's one of the graphs and a 1 represents a yes and 0 a no.

If you are hitting PL and can't increase power limit via AB, your only option left is to try undervolting to allow the card to reach higher clocks using less power.

In fact even if you can increase power limit you should do this anyway as the default curve will likely be a little overvolted unless you lost big in the silicon lottery.

To do this you need to use the voltage curve editor in AB (ctrl + f).

Since it's actually quite difficult to put into words what you need to do there search a YouTube for undervolting Nvidia graphics card and it'll immediately become obvious to you.

But essentially you are asking the cars, via the curve, to use less voltage per clock rate point. Eg if default for 1400mhz is 1000mv, you set the curve to 950mv for 1400mhz and then 1000mv for 1425mhz, effectively giving you a 25 mhz overclock within the same power envelope.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I remember back in fall of 2019 people were like "oh yeah the 3000 series will be out within 6 months", and even before that people were assuming the product cycle would be faster than usual because the 2000 series was so underwhelming at launch. Being a naysayer and a pessimist gently caress I looked at the previous microarch product cycles and was pretty dang sure there was no way they'd launch the 3000 series less than 24 months after the 2000 series, and since I needed a new GPU I picked up a 2080Ti in November 2019. I felt bad about it at the time because I never felt good about buying stupid expensive halo products, but I wanted 4K so welp.

I don't regret the purchase now, but being on the winning side of that particular internet argument really hasn't been much of a comfort in 2020-2021 :/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man I was on the queue within 24 hours of it opening and remember saying to my friend "yeah, I mean whatever, it might take until after Thanksgiving but at least I'm guaranteed to get a card this way."

lmao

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks both for the great response! I was using Nvidia Inspector. I'll try afterburner and watch some YouTube videos and report back!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm just glad I didn't try to ride out a 3770k/7970 till Zen 3/30xx were available and picked up both a 3600 and a cheap RX 5700 as an interim update right before/as Covid hit. Getting the x570 board I wanted took a couple weeks, but little did I know that was good compared to what was to come.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sagebrush posted:

Man I was on the queue within 24 hours of it opening and remember saying to my friend "yeah, I mean whatever, it might take until after Thanksgiving but at least I'm guaranteed to get a card this way."

lmao

That’s almost verbatim what I said too. I figured that getting in in the first ~12 hours would mean a card in maybe 8-10 weeks—at least before the end of the year. Man was I very wrong.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

CoolCab posted:

still an igpu, but the best of that set iirc. in an otherwise properly configured machine you're looking at like 30ish FPS in RDR2 720p low, playable frame rates in tons of older or eSports titles. I've recommended it to quite a few people as a stopgap in these trying times.

RDR2 at 720p on ultralow settings? It's better to tell them to use Geforce Now unless their internet connection is horrible.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Use afterburner to see if you are hitting power limit. It's one of the graphs and a 1 represents a yes and 0 a no.

If you are hitting PL and can't increase power limit via AB, your only option left is to try undervolting to allow the card to reach higher clocks using less power.

In fact even if you can increase power limit you should do this anyway as the default curve will likely be a little overvolted unless you lost big in the silicon lottery.

To do this you need to use the voltage curve editor in AB (ctrl + f).

Since it's actually quite difficult to put into words what you need to do there search a YouTube for undervolting Nvidia graphics card and it'll immediately become obvious to you.

But essentially you are asking the cars, via the curve, to use less voltage per clock rate point. Eg if default for 1400mhz is 1000mv, you set the curve to 950mv for 1400mhz and then 1000mv for 1425mhz, effectively giving you a 25 mhz overclock within the same power envelope.

For whatever reason (maybe a modified BIOS thing?) Afterburner won't let me change the power at all. So I'll try Nvidia Inspector, that let's me play with all the buttons

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

For whatever reason (maybe a modified BIOS thing?) Afterburner won't let me change the power at all. So I'll try Nvidia Inspector, that let's me play with all the buttons

Does ctrl + f not bring up the curve editor at all? I've never used a prema bios laptop but honestly I am surprised considering he's all about user control.

Though I honestly have no idea if the 9 series even has that functionality in AB since my experience with the curve editor starts with a laptop 1060.

If you are talking about the power slider, a lot of laptops have this locked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wafflemoose posted:

Just how awful is the integrated graphics on Ryzen CPUs? I'd imagine some desperate gamers trying to game on those since all the good gpus are out of stock or way overpriced.

The iGPUs are decent for playing eSports titles, indie games, or even newer games if dialed-down to 720p low.

Actually, what I'll say is that the problem with getting an APU is that in the long-term, the CPU is going to hold you back: the best consumer-facing part right now is a 4-core/8-thread part that's still on Zen+, since AMD never released the Zen 2-based APUs as boxed SKUs.

This means that when you finally do get the GPU that you want, you're almost assuredly going to be CPU-bound.

As someone who did buy an APU last year just for the extra insurance of still having graphics if ever the GPU dies, my opinion has swung the other way since: get the actual CPU that you want if you can already get it, and then pair it with something like a GTX 1050, a GT 1030 (with GDDR5), or even a GT 710/730. Even the best-case iGPU performance can still only barely catch up to the GT 1030, but using a discrete GPU right off the bat means you at least won't be pigeon-holing yourself into also needing another CPU upgrade later on.

Obviously if a GTX 1050 is going to set you back 300 dollars then that would be a bad deal, but looking at newegg indicates that you should still be able to snag a GT 1030 for a hundred bucks or a little less. And then the 1030 is going to act as your back-up when you finally get a 3080.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does ctrl + f not bring up the curve editor at all? I've never used a prema bios laptop but honestly I am surprised considering he's all about user control.

Though I honestly have no idea if the 9 series even has that functionality in AB since my experience with the curve editor starts with a laptop 1060.

If you are talking about the power slider, a lot of laptops have this locked.

I can confirm that ctrl + f does nothing. I was even watching a video showing the graph and... nothing. The clocks didn't even change. This is the latest version of Afterburner.

The power slider is not locked for me in Nvidia Inspector because of the modded BIOS. I'll do more tests, maybe none of it works haha

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lian Li makes one of the better anti-sag brackets I've seen, plus it's functionally "invisible."

https://www.microcenter.com/product/605934/lian-li-graphic-card-anti-sag-bracket

The little "shelves" can occasionally require modification/shortening if they might contact a fan blade, though.
I need to get one of those. After I got my new system I hunted around the place for 30 minutes to find something else to use for anti-sag for my thic card, as I measure right under 7 inches in height. Ironically the only thing I found that fit was an old iPhone7p box lid. But that will reduce airflow so I need to get a real anti-sag bracket.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nnnotime posted:

I need to get one of those. After I got my new system I hunted around the place for 30 minutes to find something else to use for anti-sag for my thic card, as I measure right under 7 inches in height. Ironically the only thing I found that fit was an old iPhone7p box lid. But that will reduce airflow so I need to get a real anti-sag bracket.

Every so often MC will ship them if you select "Shippable Items" as your store up top. I ended up doing that myself because even with shipping (~$6) it was cheaper than Amazon, and the only B&M store that had them in stock was Parkville, which is a three hour round trip for me.

Unfortunately they're not shipping it at the moment, I just checked. Also, sometimes you have to go at the little "shelves" on the LL bracket with a Dremel, but only if they might impede a fan blade.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

change my name posted:

The new Rocket Lake UHD 750 is dropping soon and supposed to be okay for esports and older games too: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xe-uhd750-graphics

The subtitle is that these are "underwhelming" numbers but these are pretty drat good, especially since if you're laptop gaming it's super common to render more 3D intense games at 720p on laptops. These will be in my work's Dell Latitude and as I've said a bunch of times ITT our work has required more and more "mild" 3d acceleration so I'm kind of excited for where this goes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A TimeSpy score of about 1k is better than the Vega 3 on an Athlon 3000G, about even with the Vega 8 on a Ryzen 3200G, and behind the Vega 11 on a Ryzen 3400G

Which is interesting since AMD isn't selling its better Zen 2 APUs to consumers yet, so you'd be getting a decent 720p / 1080p-low experience without the compromise of getting those APUs, which tend to be marginally worse than equivalent CPUs

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also reviews for the 6700 XT are coming out and it looks like it's actually pretty good, placing between the 3060 ti and 3070 (minus the ray tracing and DLSS stuff): https://gizmodo.com/amds-radeon-rx-6700-xt-is-so-good-that-im-praying-there-1846488139

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sounds like a good review to me as someone who is looking to get a 3060TI, so I'd take whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The reviews I've seen aren't quite that glowing, basically saying it's not that exciting but functional. Also gets absolutely kerb stomped in ray tracing tests but we knew that already. Mostly though that it's just not better than the 3070 enough for only being slightly cheaper but also it doesn't matter because you won't be able to buy one anyway.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

njsykora posted:

The reviews I've seen aren't quite that glowing, basically saying it's not that exciting but functional. Also gets absolutely kerb stomped in ray tracing tests but we knew that already. Mostly though that it's just not better than the 3070 enough for only being slightly cheaper but also it doesn't matter because you won't be able to buy one anyway.

It's only "slightly cheaper" than the 3070 FE which is pretty hard to get, they then start at $600+

If you can get one at $479 hell yeah I'd do it. Again only the 3060ti FE is $400, the next cheapest is $459 for the less-desired 2 fan model.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah those reviews are all only working off of the baseline FE MSRP; my entry-level "budget" Gigabyte 3060 ti is now selling for a base price of $579, as much as a Newegg 3070 bundle was in December: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...p?skuId=6442485

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought my 3060Ti for 600 USD and now I'm seeing it listed at nearly twice that

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought my 3060Ti for 600 USD and now I'm seeing it listed at nearly twice that

yeah easily. the 3060ti is the mining sweet spot, if any of the stack are genuinely being directly impacted it is that one. might change with the 3060 now mining tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess late March for the ReBAR VBIOS from NVidia meant 31st of March.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess late March for the ReBAR VBIOS from NVidia meant 31st of March.
Obviously they've decided to add the ETH nerf to it, so you can either get more performance in games or mine.

until they release another set of BIOS drivers missing the check

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

njsykora posted:

The reviews I've seen aren't quite that glowing, basically saying it's not that exciting but functional.

Either sites are naively assuming MSRP or Nvidia's intimidating HW Unboxed for treating RTX as a non-central luxury has worked out for them.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Craptacular! posted:

Either sites are naively assuming MSRP or Nvidia's intimidating HW Unboxed for treating RTX as a non-central luxury has worked out for them.

It's equally naive to assume that AMD cards would somehow be available at MSRP. The "$649" 6800 XT is realistically more like $900-$1000 from stores and $1300+ on eBay. No reason whatsoever to think that a $479 6700 will actually sell for $479 past some initial small batch sold through BestBuy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And when the videos I've watched are talking price/performance they've all said MSRP is a lie but it's the only number they have to go on since the scalpers haven't got their stock in yet.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I got my evga 3080 step up notification finally. I got in 9/18 at 1300ish eastern. It’s moving now that we’re out of day one.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Canna Happy posted:

I got my evga 3080 step up notification finally. I got in 9/18 at 1300ish eastern. It’s moving now that we’re out of day one.

Is the step up queue (to upgrade) different than the normal notification people used to purchase a new card from scratch?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/auto-hdr-preview-for-pc-available-today/

Microsoft is porting the Xboxes Auto HDR mode to PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT1a6NXYy6E

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't help wonder how comfortable Nvidia are with their reBAR vBIOS update later this month given their latest driver mishap.

Have we heard anything new about when in March it's supposed to drop?

Thank god, PC HDR is such a mess.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Hemish posted:

Is the step up queue (to upgrade) different than the normal notification people used to purchase a new card from scratch?

Yeah. Evga allows you to trade in a used evga card within 90 days of purchase for a superior model, but there is a queue. On launch day I saw how bad the situation was going to be so I bought a card from Best Buy to step up.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is it me or does HDR actually suck? Like I have a 4K OLED laptop and if I turn on HDR everything is washed out. With HDR off all the colors pop. I looked it up and that's apparently intended, so that if you're watching a movie at night at they show the sun in the movie you'll be blinded? Is that the whole gimmick?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zero VGS posted:

Is it me or does HDR actually suck? Like I have a 4K OLED laptop and if I turn on HDR everything is washed out. With HDR off all the colors pop. I looked it up and that's apparently intended, so that if you're watching a movie at night at they show the sun in the movie you'll be blinded? Is that the whole gimmick?

That is the gimmick, yes. HDR on the windows desktop is completely pointless because as you say it just makes everything look washed out. You can enable it for movies and games with HDR support, but only if you really want blindingly bright lights up in your face. There's really not much of an upside to HDR on a computer monitor, so no, it's not just you, it actually does suck.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

What’s really going on is PC monitors don’t have particularly good dynamic range in the first place (with some ridiculously expensive exceptions). By turning on HDR all you’re doing is mapping the entire color and brightness range of the screen to a greater range of values. This means that the “normal” color range is crushed into a smaller set of output.

So yes, yes that is the gimmick. On PC screen is box ticking, like saying your 1080p screen is 4K ready because it can accept the 4K signal and downscale it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had HDR on for a while but windows doesn't even take screen shots correctly when its on so I turned it off.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
On an OLED screen, brightness is damage. They probably don't want to blow the screen up putting out as much light as it can, so overall brightness is likely dropping in HDR mode.

There's also the way windows and apps handle wide gamut/larger color spaces, which works in sort of the opposite way. Using the full color space a monitor is capable of can provide over-saturated color, and enabling wide gamut on the software or disabling it on the monitor can fix that issue.

The situation is extremely stupid and bad and probably won't be good for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Do not sleep on this if you have an HDR monitor, the implementation on Series X is phenomenal. The only thing I would be worried about is that there are some games that don't handle it well (GTA4 is a prime example) and at least on the Xbox it toggles off for individual games if it's known to looks worse with auto HDR enabled, but you'll probably need to toggle it on/off yourself potentially on a per game basis.