Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Oops. OK, they had a flat income tax until relatively recently & even then the top bracket only pays 5% more than the lowest bracket (& the lowest bracket is until $131,220, or £75,000). Even in hellish Thatcherite Britain the difference between top & bottom bracket is 45% (or from the basic rate of income tax, 25%) & the higher bracket kicks in at £50,001.

yeah but that's provincial rather than federal taxes. don't get me wrong, i could talk at length over the ways alberta sucks, tar sands, canadian MAGAism (MCGA doesn't work but it's not like they mind), wannabe texas, etc. still better than here by most metrics :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

My favourite bit is ‘It seems clear that the party and Paul aren’t as well informed as we’d like them to be re: the town and our electorate’

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

all this effort for loving paul williams lmfao, I know some people who lived in stockton south and they had gently caress all good to say about him and they were remainers, so im sure Hartlepool will love him.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ItohRespectArmy posted:

all this effort for loving paul williams lmfao, I know some people who lived in stockton south and they had gently caress all good to say about him and they were remainers, so im sure Hartlepool will love him.

Lmao at us posting the exact same things one after each other in the NIP Discord too

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Noxville posted:

Lmao at us posting the exact same things one after each other in the NIP Discord too

ukmt entryism into the NIP is alive and well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry young and healthy people, the vaccine is being delayed for a month due to shortages.

I'm not entirely surprised tbh, just got to keep on trucking.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alberta is spending tens of millions of government dollars on an "Oil Industry War Room" currently dedicated to the destruction of the animated movie "The Bigfoot Family" because it says mean things about oil companies.

They're definitely up there with the Tories in terms of stupidity

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The incredible thing about all this is that this is precisely the kind of seat that Starmer sold himself as being able to appeal to, and has been the ostensible target demographic for everything he's done since he became leader. This is a perfect opportunity to walk the walk after talking the talk, and he and his weird little cargo cult are completely making GBS threads it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sorry young and healthy people, the vaccine is being delayed for a month due to shortages.

Will the easing of restrictions also be delayed by a month, haha no chance. Best of luck Late Genx/Millenials/GenZ.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Under 30s are never going to get it en masse. The pandemic will be declared over and forgotten as soon as the 40+ demographic is fully vaccinated and that'll be the last we hear about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Alberta is spending tens of millions of government dollars on an "Oil Industry War Room" currently dedicated to the destruction of the animated movie "The Bigfoot Family" because it says mean things about oil companies.

They're definitely up there with the Tories in terms of stupidity
So say so long to the Federal loan
We spent it all you see
On lawyers' fees for a C&D to
Bigfoot Family
While we wrecked the greens and the woods and streams
And the air will kill your nose
But we'll be free, and just like me
An idiot, I suppose

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Feeling pretty good that I got a phonecall this afternoon saying I can get some vaccine in me on the first Monday in April.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope the appointment I managed to get the other day still holds.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Am I being pessimistic or has everyone forgotten you need two jabs of the vaccine? I feel like there's this goal of getting everyone having one jab that will signal some return to normality. Is it just that death rates will decrease so dramatically that enforcing lockdown regulations will become impossible?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to book two appointments when you book, so they are, seemingly, attempting to make sure people get both of them. You can't just book one and they have to be within a certain window after each other too.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Bollocks. :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They can (will) push back the second appointment though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The article states that the purpose of delaying new vaccinations is:

quote:

As a result all vaccination sites in England have been told to not book anyone under 50 in for their first dose between 1 and 30 April and to concentrate instead on jabbing everyone over 50s and administering second doses.

So yes, conceivably, they could do that, as much of an absolutely ridiculous administrative nightmare that would be, but they appear to be trying to avoid doing that.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Dugong posted:

Am I being pessimistic or has everyone forgotten you need two jabs of the vaccine? I feel like there's this goal of getting everyone having one jab that will signal some return to normality. Is it just that death rates will decrease so dramatically that enforcing lockdown regulations will become impossible?

Sort of. Some of the people I know who've had the first dose appear to be taking more risks with regards to social distancing, masks, going out etc. However, they are very much aware of the second dose as they're constantly asking each other "When's your second jab date?" which is a little reassuring. Then they move on to the teasing as I've still not had notice of my first one. drat me being surprisingly healthy. :argh:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Got my first jab on Friday, FYGM.

Seriously though, who can doubt we live in a generation war now?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The old people doing the jabs in Sheffield Arena will hunt you down if you don’t get your second jab.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the nurse i got it at countered the message i got on the website for my booking, that it was three weeks between my first and second shot, and told me a more reasonable expectation is 12 weeks.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For some reason I watched the Hancock press conference and it was bizarre that he just didn't mention this, then when directly questioned pretended it's not happening. The NHS announcements about it were coming out literally during the press conference.

Just weird, pointless lying.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

You have to book two appointments when you book, so they are, seemingly, attempting to make sure people get both of them. You can't just book one and they have to be within a certain window after each other too.
This seems to be dependent on GP surgery; my partner booked both jabs at the same time but they just gave me the card with the date of my first jab on it and told me they’d be in touch to arrange a second.

Presumably if the date comes and goes I won’t be allowed to call the surgery to check and will just have to ~trust the system~

E: Also, anecdotal but it seems like most people I know of my age (late 30s) have already had the first jab by now; maybe we all have at least some qualifying condition but it’s very confusing when officially they’re still supposed to be targeting over-50s

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 17, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Comrade Fakename posted:

Got my first jab on Friday, FYGM.

Seriously though, who can doubt we live in a generation war now?

Kiiind of only in this war it really is just taking out the good and cool war generation, before attacking all the people with special needs, immunodeficiencies and diabetics.
They have been super good with the carers and medical staff getting jabs irregardless of age so we can go about our day without worrying that we are going be the one who passes the rona on to 300 immunocompromised kiddies because some dickhead coughed on us in Sainsbury’s.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah my sister got hers first of all of us despite being the youngest/most healthy because she works with homeless women. i hate this government more or less as intensely as i have hated any institution on earth, and yet i can say the vaccine rollout has been excellent so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

E: Also, anecdotal but it seems like most people I know of my age (late 30s) have already had the first jab by now; maybe we all have at least some qualifying condition but it’s very confusing when officially they’re still supposed to be targeting over-50s

I assume I was offered one because of BMI, liver, or heart issues, all of which are conceivably on my record but I don't know which one they think is severe enough.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

This seems to be dependent on GP surgery; my partner booked both jabs at the same time but they just gave me the card with the date of my first jab on it and told me they’d be in touch to arrange a second

I don't know a single person in their 30s who has had it other than NHS employees and one friend with severe asthma, so you live in a lucky area.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

peanut- posted:

I don't know a single person in their 30s who has had it other than NHS employees and one friend with severe asthma, so you live in a lucky area.

yeah this poo poo seems super, super regional

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I'm abit confused a few of my friends have got jabs despite being in their mid 20s, healthy and not in targetted professions, are some surgries just zooming down the list quicker then others?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I could only book my first dose of vaccination and have to wait until I'm messaged again to book the second.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wales here - you can't book 2nd appointment for AZ. Have to wait to be called.
They were doing 2nd appointments for Pfizer last week and the week before. So I think they're trying to ensure that people who have had a first jab also get the second rather than have half vaccinated people running about.

https://twitter.com/line1157/status/1372186150639702024?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 17, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

peanut- posted:

My son’s 18 and he’s had his.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mebh posted:

We bought an Ooni Koda 16. We were going to get the 12, but then my wife got a bonus too and we said gently caress it and bought the bigger one as apparently it's more user friendly since you have more room to move the pizza around.

In my case more room to bend over with my wispy long lockdown hair and accidentally singe it all off. My wife thought it was loving hilarious.

Excellent! That's the model I've been looking at for when I get a bit more money. The house we bought here in Ottawa has an external gas hookup for a barbecue so it's ideal.

I've spent a looooong time trying to perfect homemade pizza and got pretty drat close to ideal, using an electric countertop "clamshell" pizza oven (Ferrari G3, which is apparently the most popular one in Italy):

https://twitter.com/Len_Jet/status/1371657957524447232?s=20
(There was a time they were available for about £100 on Amazon).

But it's just not quite enough. It cooks a pizza in 4 or 5 mins but to really get the leopard-spotting and stuff on the crust it needs to have a much thicker stone and more heat from above.

If anybody is interested, the dough recipe I've landed on after testing LOADS of different ratios of flour to water etc., different additions like honey, different methods of kneading and all that stuff, is the one here:

https://www.woodfiredpizza.org/pizza-dough.html

It's very good and very simple. No kneading required, no mixer, just roughly mix the ingredients at the start with a fork, wooden spoon or whatever, leave it for a bit, then lift it up out of the bowl and stretch and fold it over itself. Repeat a couple of times. Then either use it after 2-3 hours of resting, or ideally leave it to slow-ferment in the fridge for 3-5 days. Makes very good pizza even in a not so good oven.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JoylessJester posted:

I'm abit confused a few of my friends have got jabs despite being in their mid 20s, healthy and not in targetted professions, are some surgries just zooming down the list quicker then others?

Yeah, definitely: if you're in an area full of oldies, you'll be waiting ages for them to get to you; if you're somewhere with a lower average age, you'll be seen much quicker. I'm in an inner city area with a lot of young families, so am getting my 1st shot tomorrow, even though I'm only 43. My colleagues of similar ages who live out in the suburbs are all still waiting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noxville posted:

My favourite bit is ‘It seems clear that the party and Paul aren’t as well informed as we’d like them to be re: the town and our electorate’

Honestly hoping this dude loses in a third or fourth-place scenario.

Also love the sniping at "the left" in that mail.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There are also young people who were targeted and put on the new vulnerable list by the algorithm because they are obese and at a higher risk of diabetes (the thing the rona really does seem to love most), which has caused exactly the fuss you can imagine.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

When I got mine I could only book one and they said they'd text me to book the second one eventually.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got my jab notification today and booked for next week, but all I heard about the second was that they'd contact me again within 11 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are people getting them other than through the central nhs website?