Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

sexpig by night posted:

Yea has Biden done ANYTHING about the, at the very least, multiple reports of rape and abuse from these camps when the Bad Man (tm) was running them? Like, that feels like a major part of making our concentration camps more woke and good.

[Biden workshopping new concentration camp marketing slogans] If you like your uterus, you can keep it, jack!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I'd prefer if they completely abolished ICE and started trying the individuals for crimes against humanity myself. ICE should not exist and just quietly replacing the people inside will do absolutely nothing to resolve the human rights violations going on in our country, not just at the border.

Of course biden, or the Dems in general, would never do such a thing so I'm just causing myself psychic damage by wishing that something like this would happen.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Seriously, is there even the remotest indication Biden is going to do anything like prosecuting anyone for this?

That's what I thought. Since we're off in fantasy land I might as well take that date with Megan Thee Stallion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ram dass in hell posted:

[Biden workshopping new concentration camp marketing slogans] If you like your uterus, you can keep it, jack!

Biden's mainly mad about that dude because he heard he gave Trump a better price than he gave Obama :argh:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Seriously, is there even the remotest indication Biden is going to do anything like prosecuting anyone for this?

That's what I thought. Since we're off in fantasy land I might as well take that date with Megan Thee Stallion.

Of course not. For all of the pre-Biden outrage over ICE, CBP, forced sterilizations, and kids in cages, there will be no prosecutions, and ICE will keep on truckin' on with a few changes in leadership.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
It's not bad that we have an immigration thread, but it does feel like the need for this was created out of not making liberals uncomfortable about Biden expanding on Trump's policies while allowing ICE and CBP to run amok.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it literally was made because multiple D&D mods tried to gaslight people into thinking 'internment camp' meant something different than 'concentration camp' so yea this thread only exists so USPol doesn't have to think about the kids being denied showers and phone calls and representation as they sit in a glorified prison for the crime of existing while brown.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
There was a long segment on NPR All Things Considered this morning that was really interesting, they interviewed a couple journalists, advocates, lawyers. I'm assuming it'll get posted to their website later today or tomorrow, I'll track down a link then or if a kind goon comes across it that would be appreciated.

Some important points, I apologize for cliff notes version as I'm at work:

-Under the Trump admin, unaccompanied minors were turned back at the border and forced to wait on the Mexican side. These Mexican border towns are very dangerous and kids have been camped there for up to a year or more.
-Biden admin is now allowing all unaccompanied minors through as a humanitarian response because holy poo poo we can't let unaccompanied kids sit in the Mexican border towns. That's part of what is contributing to the surge in kids crossing the border even though we're not to 2019 peak levels yet. Thousands of kids that have been camped on the Mexican side of the border are now being allowed to enter.
-Problem is, the US immigration system has for decades been focused on deterrence and punishment rather than increasing capacity to provide services to refugees and migrants. As a result we don't have the facilities to adequately house and process kids through. One of the interviews was with Jacob Soboroff who described the current conditions as better than Trump era cages but still prison-like and unacceptable.
-Under Trump a lot of the kids in camps were forcibly separated from their families, that's no longer occurring. This is a somewhat different scenario.
-The immigration system was compared to a large ship. It's slow and difficult to change direction.

In particular the part that was new to me was unaccompanied minors previously not being allowed entry and now there's a surge after Biden admin allowed all of them in. It seems like they are between a rock and a hard place--it's unthinkable to let kids camp on the Mexican side in very dangerous conditions so we ought to let them through as a matter of human rights. Problem is, we don't have the capacity to adequately house and process kids through to host families. My impression was the guests were basically saying this is the less bad option, but Biden admin could do more to respond and is going to need to because it's going to be an ongoing crisis.

What's causing the surge in migration are the problems in the countries of origin, mostly Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. It's not US policy that's causing more people to come. Until those root causes are addressed we're going to continue to have increasing numbers of refugees and the US immigration system has been geared toward deterrence and punishment rather than accepting refugees and asylum seekers.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

It's not bad that we have an immigration thread, but it does feel like the need for this was created out of not making liberals uncomfortable about Biden expanding on Trump's policies while allowing ICE and CBP to run amok.

yeah i described it metaphorically as a george bush era free speech zone in the uspol thread and i stand by that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fritz the Horse posted:

There was a long segment on NPR All Things Considered this morning that was really interesting, they interviewed a couple journalists, advocates, lawyers. I'm assuming it'll get posted to their website later today or tomorrow, I'll track down a link then or if a kind goon comes across it that would be appreciated.

Some important points, I apologize for cliff notes version as I'm at work:

-Under the Trump admin, unaccompanied minors were turned back at the border and forced to wait on the Mexican side. These Mexican border towns are very dangerous and kids have been camped there for up to a year or more.
-Biden admin is now allowing all unaccompanied minors through as a humanitarian response because holy poo poo we can't let unaccompanied kids sit in the Mexican border towns. That's part of what is contributing to the surge in kids crossing the border even though we're not to 2019 peak levels yet. Thousands of kids that have been camped on the Mexican side of the border are now being allowed to enter.
-Problem is, the US immigration system has for decades been focused on deterrence and punishment rather than increasing capacity to provide services to refugees and migrants. As a result we don't have the facilities to adequately house and process kids through. One of the interviews was with Jacob Soboroff who described the current conditions as better than Trump era cages but still prison-like and unacceptable.
-Under Trump a lot of the kids in camps were forcibly separated from their families, that's no longer occurring. This is a somewhat different scenario.
-The immigration system was compared to a large ship. It's slow and difficult to change direction.

In particular the part that was new to me was unaccompanied minors previously not being allowed entry and now there's a surge after Biden admin allowed all of them in. It seems like they are between a rock and a hard place--it's unthinkable to let kids camp on the Mexican side in very dangerous conditions so we ought to let them through as a matter of human rights. Problem is, we don't have the capacity to adequately house and process kids through to host families. My impression was the guests were basically saying this is the less bad option, but Biden admin could do more to respond and is going to need to because it's going to be an ongoing crisis.

What's causing the surge in migration are the problems in the countries of origin, mostly Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. It's not US policy that's causing more people to come. Until those root causes are addressed we're going to continue to have increasing numbers of refugees and the US immigration system has been geared toward deterrence and punishment rather than accepting refugees and asylum seekers.

There's a few issues with this framing.

1) I kinda find the whole 'we can't let them stay in MEXICO, it's dangerous there' framing weird because they're not being taken to a nice 'safe' US city they're being put in a camp system with no oversight that is famous for abuse and trauma. Even if we accept the kinda lovely framing of 'we can't just let them stay THERE that's where bad things happen' I'd argue a camp where HHS workers are likely to assault you is a lateral move, no?

2) There's also the issue with this 'unaccompanied minors' framing. Many of these kids DO have family or people to go to here, they're in fact begging to call them and being denied that right. They're not being 'separated at the border' because they're not crossing WITH them, but they are being kept from their family in many cases. These kids are unaccompanied often but they're not literally just being sent vaguely 'north' with no plan but 'cross the boarder'

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

So can we say 'concentration' camps in here or are we still required to pretend 'internment camp' is an actual legal different term and not literally just a synonym for concentration camp.

Have at it, as far as I'm concerned. Everyone can call them whatever they want, I don't care. Just don't get into ridiculously pedantic arguments about how to label them; I've got no patience for that, and frankly, neither should any of you! There's way more important poo poo to discuss.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd also say that it's important to remember the 'surge' narrative is actually totally made up, and it's conflating the basic trend of 'border crossings are up in spring before it's too hot to go through the desert easily' and taking it to 'so clearly this is historic' when actually in 19 it was much bigger than now and we still all managed to agree the conditions were inhumane then.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

sexpig by night posted:

it literally was made because multiple D&D mods tried to gaslight people into thinking 'internment camp' meant something different than 'concentration camp' so yea this thread only exists so USPol doesn't have to think about the kids being denied showers and phone calls and representation as they sit in a glorified prison for the crime of existing while brown.

sigh no, that's not what happened.

This thread was around last year and it fell into disuse. The standing policy in USPOL over the last several months has been that if a specific topic starts to take over USPOL, we will suggest that posters take it to a dedicated thread such as this one, or if one doesn't exist, create one. This isn't a containment thread. In fact, the rules applicable to the rest of D&D apply here just as much as they do in USPOL. So maybe keep that in before posting takes that substitute anger for knowledge or are thinly veiled attempts to troll other posters attempting to discuss the issue in good faith.

wrt "Concentration Camp" vs "Internment Camp", I'll be honest in that I (and quite possibly the rest of the mods/IKs) do not give a poo poo what you personally want to call the facilities. The problem is when people start using different terms as a lovely cudgel to own their posting enemies, and neither myself or the other IKs/Mods felt like dealing with the pedantry of it. Put simpler, it's a good example of why we can't have nice things in USPOL sometimes.

Again, this isn't a containment thread. You're still in D&D and some modicum of effort is still expected if you want to post here about this topic. If that isn't for you, then there are other forums were you can post like that to your hearts content. But it ain't here.

That's honestly it.

Majorian posted:

Have at it, as far as I'm concerned. Everyone can call them whatever they want, I don't care. Just don't get into ridiculously pedantic arguments about how to label them; I've got no patience for that, and frankly, neither should any of you! There's way more important poo poo to discuss.

Or shorter, this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Handsome Ralph posted:

This thread was around last year and it fell into disuse. The standing policy in USPOL over the last several months has been that if a specific topic starts to take over USPOL, we will suggest that posters take it to a dedicated thread such as this one, or if one doesn't exist, create one. This isn't a containment thread. In fact, the rules applicable to the rest of D&D apply here just as much as they do in USPOL. So maybe keep that in before posting takes that substitute anger for knowledge or are thinly veiled attempts to troll other posters attempting to discuss the issue in good faith.

wrt "Concentration Camp" vs "Internment Camp", I'll be honest in that I (and quite possibly the rest of the mods/IKs) do not give a poo poo what you personally want to call the facilities. The problem is when people start using different terms as a lovely cudgel to own their posting enemies, and neither myself or the other IKs/Mods felt like dealing with the pedantry of it. Put simpler, it's a good example of why we can't have nice things in USPOL sometimes.

Again, this isn't a containment thread. You're still in D&D and some modicum of effort is still expected if you want to post here about this topic. If that isn't for you, then there are other forums were you can post like that to your hearts content. But it ain't here.

That's honestly it.

Or shorter, this.

You literally tried to use 'I interviewed holocaust survivors so you shouldn't say concentration camp', please don't bring these weird lies here because you clearly do give a poo poo

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

You literally tried to use 'I interviewed holocaust survivors so you shouldn't say concentration camp', please don't bring these weird lies here because you clearly do give a poo poo

We were all there, we saw this happen lol. What a weird loving lie. I'll take my probe too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

What's causing the surge in migration are the problems in the countries of origin, mostly Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. It's not US policy that's causing more people to come.

quote:

Honduras

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Handsome Ralph posted:

Again, this isn't a containment thread.

Great, then I look forward to the immediate influx of Dem Party cheerleaders eager to defend Biden slapping a rainbow sticker on Trump's white supremacy camps like they did in the USPOL thread. But we both know that won't happen. Out of sight out of mind, right?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Could you elaborate?

Reading my post again, I probably should've said "It's not US immigration policy that's causing more people to come" because yes, US foreign policy certainly is a major driver of conditions in those countries of origin.

The point that the NPR guests were making is that migrants aren't really coming because the Biden admin is in power and they think they'll have a better chance of getting into the US, what's driving them is conditions in their countries of origin. And that's not my own take, I'm not super well read on immigration issues tbh. I was summarizing an NPR segment I found interesting.

But certainly a major part of the immigration reform conversation needs to be US foreign policy that is causing conditions in Central America that drive people to migrate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bishyaler posted:

Great, then I look forward to the immediate influx of Dem Party cheerleaders eager to defend Biden slapping a rainbow sticker on Trump's white supremacy camps like they did in the USPOL thread. But we both know that won't happen. Out of sight out of mind, right?

USPOL isn't going to exist anymore in a few days' time, and none of its successor threads are going to be "Biden/Dem cheerleading" zones. If people want to make a pro-Joe fanclub thread, they can take it to another sub. DnD is about discussing issues, not politics as a team sport.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bishyaler posted:

Yes the people you imagined to exist in the other thread are also possible for you to imagine to exist here.

I can tell how much people truly care about immigrants being tortured because of this page of trying to own posting enemies. That's the real fight right there.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Yes the people you imagined to exist in the other thread are also possible for you to imagine to exist here.

I can tell how much people truly care about immigrants being tortured because of this page of trying to own posting enemies. That's the real fight right there.

Not helpful, my dude.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Majorian posted:

USPOL isn't going to exist anymore in a few days' time, and none of its successor threads are going to be "Biden/Dem cheerleading" zones. If people want to make a pro-Joe fanclub thread, they can take it to another sub. DnD is about discussing issues, not politics as a team sport.

The credibility of this statement seems somewhat challenged by the numerous probations handed out on this page and in the US POL thread in relation to the decision of D&D mods to engage in active censorship of the term "concentration camp" in relation to things that they themselves concede are indeed concentration camps, explicitly because usage of the term is too provocative to people who have taken it upon themselves to defend the operation of concentration camps by the Biden administration (and who in several cases can be shown to have had zero qualms about using the term to refer to the same camps, being operated by the same people, under the previous administration).

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 17, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

So are your saying that USPOL was a Biden cheerleading zone? Could you point out these team sport posts so we can know not post like that in the future?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Is it okay for this thread to be about US immigration policy and not boring slapfights?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LGD posted:

The credibility of this statement seems somewhat challenged by the numerous probations handed out on this page and in the US POL thread in relation to the decision of D&D mods to engage in active censorship of the term "concentration camp" in relation to things that they themselves concede are indeed concentration camps, explicitly because usage of the term is too provocative to people who have taken it upon themselves to defend the operation of concentration camps by the Biden administration (and who in several cases can be shown to have had zero qualms about using the term to refer to the same camps, being operated by the same people, under the previous administration).

Hey, I get it. We (the mods/IKs) didn't handle the terminology issue regarding the internment/detainment/refugee/concentration camps terribly well in USPOL, and I'm sorry for that. What we wanted to do was avoid dumb meta-arguments, keep people from posting about posting and other posters, etc, and it turns out we kind of sparked the opposite instead. That's part of why I encouraged folks to move the discussion here: so we can have as clean a break from the previous discussion as possible. (and, again, so that the discussion will keep going when USPOL is dead and buried)

I understand why you don't fully trust me when I say that this thread isn't meant as a containment zone and the other USPOL successors aren't going to welcome "OMG this photo of the First Couple is SOOOO cute!"-type posts. That's a lot for me to promise, and who knows, maybe it won't turn out the way I want it to. All I'm asking is that you and others give this thread a shot over the next couple days. Post about immigration/border policy here, leave the meta-discussions at the door, and let USPOL die.

socialsecurity posted:

So are your saying that USPOL was a Biden cheerleading zone? Could you point out these team sport posts so we can know not post like that in the future?

No, we're not going to do that here. If you want me to be more specific you can PM me.

Insanite posted:

Is it okay for this thread to be about US immigration policy and not boring slapfights?

Please!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Moving my post from USPOL to here:

the 2016 lover posted:

Biden admin now limiting what information can be shared about the decompression centers.
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1372136896504201217

I'm a little concerned, but it could be understandable. The whole no more border ride-alongs is fine, IMO. Trump didn't care about COVID, so I'm not surprised it's changed.

As far as the rest of the media freeze out, I can understand wanting a centralized message. It would be nice to be more transparent about the child detention centers, but it's the early days so I can see them wanting as few distractions as possible. Hopefully it doesn't continue on like that.

FWIW, here's the official response for those who didn't read the full article:

quote:

A DHS spokesperson said the agency is following standards set in 2014.

"Across the federal government, certain employees are designated spokespeople for their respective agencies and public statements are vetted to ensure accuracy. This standard and process has been followed at DHS since the Department's inception and across bipartisan administrations. Customs and Border Protection continues to publicly provide the same monthly data on the same schedule as it has since 2014," the spokesperson said.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Insanite posted:

It's ok, just probably not possible.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalit posted:

Moving my post from USPOL to here:

I'm a little concerned, but it could be understandable. The whole no more border ride-alongs is fine, IMO. Trump didn't care about COVID, so I'm not surprised it's changed.

As far as the rest of the media freeze out, I can understand wanting a centralized message. It would be nice to be more transparent about the child detention centers, but it's the early days so I can see them wanting as few distractions as possible. Hopefully it doesn't continue on like that.

FWIW, here's the official response for those who didn't read the full article:

They probably shouldn’t be given time to develop a centralized message, given the conditions as they are right now.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't trust gag orders one bit when journalists are being denied access to the facilities. Like, yeah, you're going to get politically-motivated leaks out of CBP officers if you make them the journalists' only source, but you can also get around that by actually providing the information people want to know through the official channels.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't trust gag orders one bit when journalists are being denied access to the facilities. Like, yeah, you're going to get politically-motivated leaks out of CBP officers if you make them the journalists' only source, but you can also get around that by actually providing the information people want to know through the official channels.

This is still where I am.

If you're doing a good job, show it off.

If you're still not comfortable allowing press to tour facilities, you need to explain why, exactly, and try harder to resolve it.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 18, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

sexpig by night posted:

yea it feels like even if the 'well Border Patrol is fascist and wants to make Biden look bad by lying to Fox' poo poo is right the way to fight that would be, ya know, letting journalists and lawyers into the camp to report on what's going on.

that would require conditions being materially different than they were six months ago

e: right now, libs can ignore it because there aren't pictures and exposees. they can point to all the things the administration insists they want to do, is planning to do, and is being prevented from doing, and say "finally we are back to normal". And it's working spectacularly because by all accounts conditions in the concentration camps are as bad as ever, yet you hardly hear a peep about the issue.

Except for when, say, people try to bring all this up and liberals use tone policing and gaslighting to avoid confronting the fact that their objection to concentration camps on US soil was primarily motivated by sports team politics

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 17, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
My take is that Biden doesn't want journalists in there because it's Real Bad.

He may not have specifically created the conditions but he sure hasn't done enough to fix them, nor quickly enough. So pure cover-your-rear end politics.

We can debate whether he actually cares about it but he sure hasn't resolved it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I guess if it's a question of "leave them wandering the streets in Mexico or bring them into this overcrowded facility" I see why that's tough but the solution is even more aggressive emergency actions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's unclear to me whether ORR has space at the moment. The answer could be either "no, the slightly less worse agency is full", in which case the answer is expand capacity, or "yes but the ICE and CBP assholes could not care less about crowding kids together during a pandemic so why bother processing them in the legally required time", in which case part of the answer is yelling at ICE to get them transferred Or Else.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
This seems like a good reference? https://www.aila.org/advo-media/issues/all/first-100-days

American Immigration Lawyers Association "first 100 days of Biden admin" page with very detailed list of immigration regulation and policy changes

I am not a lawyer nor familiar with nitty gritty regulatory details of immigration but it's something I stumbled upon this afternoon while doing some reading.

edit:

like this seems very relevant, as an example:

https://www.aila.org/infonet/executive-order-southern-border-and-the-asylum

quote:

On 2/2/21, the White House issued an executive order to implement a comprehensive three-part plan for safe, lawful, and orderly migration across the southern border, as well as to review the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP) program. The order also directs a series of actions to restore the U.S. asylum system. (86 FR 8267, 2/5/21)

Executive Order 14010 of February 2, 2021

Creating a Comprehensive Regional Framework To Address the Causes of Migration, To Manage Migration Throughout North and Central America, and To Provide Safe and Orderly Processing of Asylum Seekers at the United States Border

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 17, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

My take is that Biden doesn't want journalists in there because it's Real Bad.

He may not have specifically created the conditions but he sure hasn't done enough to fix them, nor quickly enough. So pure cover-your-rear end politics.

We can debate whether he actually cares about it but he sure hasn't resolved it.

Mayorkas extolled the heroism and nobility of the border patrol multiple times in the last week so I think if you're hoping the journalism lockout is for a good reason, you might want to check that optimism against the fact that he's carrying water for a fascist paramilitary in his Congressional testimony right now.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

According to the AP story the other day, some of the minors being interned crossed the border with adult relatives, the latter of whom were deported.

One of those minors is the traumatized & nonverbal 4 yr old who was sent to stranger-fosters in MI even though she had parents living in MD, and the 4 yr old came over in the care of her aunt, who was immediately deported.

So yeah: It's not as easy-peasy-mellow-breezy as NPR makes it out to be, or as internment apologists want it to be.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

If anyone is interested in one perspective on American immigration policy beyond Trump -> Biden, I found this to be a useful podcast: https://theintercept.com/2021/02/17/intercepted-podcast-democrats-immigrants-border/. There's a transcript if you're into that.

It gives a (leftist) overview of how Clinton and Obama contributed to border militarization and mass detention, and is a reasonable answer to why just fixing what Trump hosed up is not enough.

Harsha Walia posted:

Trump’s infamous Remain in Mexico program was a program that allowed U.S. border officials to return asylum seekers and refugees back to Mexico as they awaited their hearings. And so there was a lot of news about, you know, tens of thousands of Central American and African migrants and refugees who were trapped in Mexico, in teeming tent camps under horrific conditions and immobilized in Mexico unable to enter into the United States.

Really, what we will see under Joe Biden is that, you know, he may halt border wall construction, but he will continue to outsource border enforcement the way Obama did. And that will allow the U.S. to not only have a wall at the border, it will allow the U.S. to create an entire anti-migrant fortress that extends far beyond the wall itself. And we already saw this in the first few days of the Biden administration, when thousands of migrants from Honduras who were headed towards the United States were blockaded and tear gassed by Guatemalan soldiers and police.

[Sound of crowd being tear gassed]

The new frontier of U.S. border militarization is not Trump’s wall. It’s not that symbolic wall on the border. It is this far more dangerous, far more invisible, far more threatening and far more repressive form of immigration enforcement.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

Could you elaborate?

Reading my post again, I probably should've said "It's not US immigration policy that's causing more people to come" because yes, US foreign policy certainly is a major driver of conditions in those countries of origin.

The point that the NPR guests were making is that migrants aren't really coming because the Biden admin is in power and they think they'll have a better chance of getting into the US, what's driving them is conditions in their countries of origin. And that's not my own take, I'm not super well read on immigration issues tbh. I was summarizing an NPR segment I found interesting.

But certainly a major part of the immigration reform conversation needs to be US foreign policy that is causing conditions in Central America that drive people to migrate.

Did the NPR story touch upon or delve into how U.S. destabilization policies in Latin America, such as Honduras, have led to the migrations to the U.S.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yes; it's an obvious attempt to control the narratives around the internment camps now that bad news is leaking out & outlets like the AP are covering the story in depth.

Gag orders are bad, no matter which party is in power.

eta: "the need for a unified message" as a rationale for censorship is sickening to me, because it elevates political needs over humanitarian needs.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 17, 2021