Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Okay, maybe vaccine cops are gonna be a thing after all:

https://www.kmov.com/news/madison-c...6aef213e82.html posted:

MADISON COUNTY, Ill. (KMOV.com) -- In Illinois, frontline workers and those 16 years and older who have health conditions are eligible for vaccines. However Madison County officials have consistently dealt with fraud attempts as people travel from other states, falsify their information online, and make appointments under other false pretenses. 

"We are gonna check it if you come to the clinic, and if you don't meet the criteria, we are going to turn you away,"
said Amy Yeager with MCHD. 

When people deceive their way into appointments, they take spots from people like Jacquisha Johnson. Johnson, who has multiple sclerosis, was able to get her first dose Tuesday. But she said it's frustrating that people could've taken her spot or the spot of other at-risk individuals by simply lying.

"There are older people who are clearly having trouble walking, who clearly need the shot more. People with autoimmune diseases or any disease that's going to cause them to not be here," she said. "We've lost enough lives in 2020 over this. Let's get it together and not lose any more lives."

Johnson got lucky as there were open appointments at the Gateway Center. However, those openings are of concern to the health department.

"It could be an indicator that people either don't know they qualify, or they're not getting the message," Yeagar said. "Or they may know they qualify, and they don't have the gas money, the transportation, the ride, the whatever."

Madison County is working to spread the message of who's eligible for doses and has mailed cards to anyone 65 or older to help inform them of eligibility.

:lol: at complaining about line jumpers and then immediately bemoaning slot vacancies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People might have taken her slot but it seems the county is really good at picking up fraud.

I think this is a journalist with an axe to grind over hidden illness and disabilities who asked a “acceptable” disabled lady in a wheelchair if she was concerned about slots being taken.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

learnincurve posted:

People might have taken her slot but it seems the county is really good at picking up fraud.

I think this is a journalist with an axe to grind over hidden illness and disabilities who asked a “acceptable” disabled lady in a wheelchair if she was concerned about slots being taken.

Also the comorbidities barely seem to matter compared to age anyway so she's probably "stealing" from a 64.9yo, but it doesn't matter bc we have more shots than arms at this point

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s most likely going to balance out with the MAGA/Tory gammon who are deliberately booking appointments they are entitled to and then not showing up because they think “their” vaccine/microchip will have to be thrown away.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reports coming out that back my gut feeling that the reason Wrestlemania ticket sales didn’t happen today as was planned is because they’re going to try book the stadium to capacity. So about 80-90 thousand people in Tampa this April.

WWE SuperspreaderMania

dk2m
May 6, 2009
today is the 1 year anniversary of working from home. i remember getting the email on the 17th and thinking it would last maybe 2 weeks if that, and was actually excited about it.

so much has happened - i lost my grandpa and uncle to covid, my dad got it and fought for his life, my friend got it and still seems to have lingering issues, my frontline worker friends were routinely placed in hazardous situations that have taken a toll on their mental health, and the amount of loving gufundmes ive donated to is beyond the pale. i can’t believe it’s been a loving year

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Steely Dad posted:

I now qualify but can’t find a shot to be had in San Mateo County in CA. Can’t find it in SF, where my office is, either. Anybody know of good tools for automatically checking for available slots for this area? Manually clicking around is a pain.

Do Walgreens first then cvs. Check as early as you can, 4-7am

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

explosivo posted:

It's funny how bad these phases ended up working out, at least in PA. Like we're still technically in 1A right now but pretty much anybody can get a vaccine at this point. It feels like we're probably a week or two away from them just skipping from 1A immediately to "Okay everyone can get a vaccine gogogogogo!!!"

As someone who just moved to PA and is 30 but wants the vaccine, please give me the Dummy’s Guide to getting a goddamn vaccine. I’m guessing I go to the PA state page that lists weekly vaccine distribution centers, find some fairly near me (King of Prussia), and call them every day around 4pm to find out if they have extra doses?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fenarisk posted:

Illinois goons where are you even signing up? My wife tried signing up through a hospital nearby and through the county and hasn't heard anything back.
Kroger seems to have the friendliest sign-up overall. It'll give you locations all over the place.

It's annoying because sometimes it won't let you schedule an open appointment because you can't schedule the follow-up, but it's the easiest way to find one imo.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Cretin90 posted:

As someone who just moved to PA and is 30 but wants the vaccine, please give me the Dummy’s Guide to getting a goddamn vaccine. I’m guessing I go to the PA state page that lists weekly vaccine distribution centers, find some fairly near me (King of Prussia), and call them every day around 4pm to find out if they have extra doses?

https://www.montcopa.org/3660/COVID-19-Vaccine Have you signed up here yet? The county websites/vaccination centers seem to be a better bet than trying to go through the pharmacies.

I know some counties are running things differently, I was able to get an appointment for my husband today. I can't speak to everywhere.

https://padoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e6f78224c6fe4313a1f70b56f553c357

Also a statewide interactive maps showing places offering the vaccine.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 17, 2021

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Do Walgreens first then cvs. Check as early as you can, 4-7am

They've been totally full up every time ive checked up until I woke up at 5 this morning and managed to grab a slot. Appreciate the advice!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cretin90 posted:

Hey friend! I'm not too far away from you in Norristown. I got lucky because a friend tipped me off to a Shoprite near where I work in Allentown that got a big shipment in they were getting rid of. However I've referred a couple people to this which is a group of people helping people get appointments and every one of them got one within a day or so, I highly recommend giving this a shot if you're looking still.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Beef Stew posted:

They've been totally full up every time ive checked up until I woke up at 5 this morning and managed to grab a slot. Appreciate the advice!

You’re not Steely Dad. You put that appointment back!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1371955137313398784?s=20

Nate, the empirical stats and logic guy, thinks if you exclude the most direct comparator the US is actually doing fine!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you exclude Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton did quite well in the 2016 election.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also not much reason to exclude Germany anymore as it starts to enjoy the effects of state governors starting to play for team virus in similar forms and for similar reasons than US states.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

terrorist ambulance posted:

Nate, the empirical stats and logic guy, thinks if you exclude the most direct comparator the US is actually doing fine!

loving hell. If you do direct comparisons of per capita detected cases and reported deaths the only countries that are worse than the US on both counts are the Czech Republic and Slovenia, and Slovenia is a tiny country with a population of 2 million people which has had 200k cases and 4k deaths.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

loving hell. If you do direct comparisons of per capita detected cases and reported deaths the only countries that are worse than the US on both counts are the Czech Republic and Slovenia, and Slovenia is a tiny country with a population of 2 million people which has had 200k cases and 4k deaths.

To be fair, I think deaths is a far better metric to go by than cases since test availability, criteria, incentives to test/not test, vary a lot by country. Compare this to deaths which are much harder to just hide or ignore unless you like pretend you had a giant outbreak of something else killing people, though I'm sure some countries out there are underreporting those either on purpose or due to sheer lack of resources.

But even by deaths only a few countries exist that are worse that anyone would consider "major" nations.

Hell, even going by a metric where you should compare European countries to States in the US of comparable size, the US looks pretty loving bad.

The one thing the US seems to be really blowing the European countries away in is vaccination, which still surprises me due to how chaotic and messy the rollout here seems to be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Deaths are better, but you have to at least count “pneumonia of unknown origin” as COVID deaths, or better yet, look at excess deaths.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The thing about Czech Republic, and many other countries, is that they just gave up at some point last fall and switched to team virus as Randler said.

Prior to that, the peak was like 15 deaths/day, so the US having a 9-11 per day was definitely quite unique for most of the year.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

wilderthanmild posted:

The one thing the US seems to be really blowing the European countries away in is vaccination, which still surprises me due to how chaotic and messy the rollout here seems to be.

That's because the Trump Administration bet it all on Red by choosing to horde "American-made" (not really, but close enough for propaganda purposes) vaccines at everyone else's expense, and the Biden Administration and the rest of the US population just got lucky and won the jackpot when those vaccines turned out to be wildly successful.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

You’re not Steely Dad. You put that appointment back!

:colbert:

(Thanks, though; I will set my alarm early tomorrow and see what I can turn up.)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Got my appointments!

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Got my appointments!

You're in Georgia, right?

I've been pleasantly amazed at the speed of the vaccine rollout here. Glad to hear that you were able to get scheduled right away.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Approximately 12% of the patients this past week are talking about their family vacations to Florida next week for spring break, and in response we have been told "Keep using level 2 masks, n95s give off a judgmental and negative perception to their choices."

Hooray!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Got my Pfizer first dose around 9am this morning at Cleveland State's Wolstein Center. Got there about 8:50am, and my appointment wasn't technically until 9:30. They ran me right through, and after the 15 minute wait at the end of the shot, I was out before I was even supposed to be there. Seemed to be very efficiently run (by the Ohio National Guard who was doing the administering, and marshalling). No issues with traffic, no issues with parking. Went down to the lake and river since it's been a year, to find that it was totally socked in with fog. Took pictures anyway. All is well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It is awesome how much more optimistic this thread is than even a few months ago.

Getting jabbed tomorrow, myself.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

dwarf74 posted:

It is awesome how much more optimistic this thread is than even a few months ago.

loving truth. I'll take "jabs(?(???))" over doomposting. Like, it's not over, not even close, but the thread gestalt is more bearable

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've read a lot of knob slobbing on Florida lately about "oh they opened up and they're doing same as California blah blah blah" but they never seem to address that the state was (and possibly still are) cooking their numbers. Is this just not a thing anymore or did the various new services just not look any deeper?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I've read a lot of knob slobbing on Florida lately about "oh they opened up and they're doing same as California blah blah blah" but they never seem to address that the state was (and possibly still are) cooking their numbers. Is this just not a thing anymore or did the various new services just not look any deeper?

I haven’t followed it but I don’t remember seeing anything about the hospitals in FL being over run like they were here in CA. You can’t cook those numbers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Scaramouche posted:

The difficult part is most of the insanity in Florida is due to tourists, so it's hard to keep track on exactly who, where, and how many people are getting it and where they then end u.

The one thing you can do is look at Key West which is pretty isolated at least, which has been full of tourists for months now but the local community isn't suffering too badly. The sad thing is, while they were completely shut down (there's only one road in, and they blocked it) their numbers were just barely nothing.

My city is a touristy one, but luckily I live on the other side of town so I don't see it all, and when I go to the stores I see 100% of people wearing their masks and behaving and have done for the last year. Makes me appreciate the people around me when you hear the horror stories of other places.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

dwarf74 posted:

Getting jabbed tomorrow, myself.

I shed a single tear after getting my first dose yesterday, just because of how much of an uphill battle this last year has felt like and how relieved and thankful I am that we're in this position a year later. It's crazy to think about the possibility of maybe possibly seeing a beach this summer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Castaign posted:

You're in Georgia, right?

I've been pleasantly amazed at the speed of the vaccine rollout here. Glad to hear that you were able to get scheduled right away.

Yeah, Augusta area. I had to hunt for a few days, but I'm getting Moderna and I'm very pumped.

Thread has largely been pretty positive but please remember that if things have to take a step or two back while vaccines keep rolling out, we're still doing so much better than we were this time last year, friends. We're gonna do this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just got my second shot, the NY vaccine centers continue to be stupid fast. Whole process before the observation period was 5 minutes. Once again getting out before my appointment was even scheduled for.

Now to have a crappy few days, but that’s why I took the rest of the week off from work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Approximately 12% of the patients this past week are talking about their family vacations to Florida next week for spring break, and in response we have been told "Keep using level 2 masks, n95s give off a judgmental and negative perception to their choices."

Hooray!

It’s for the best, we all know N95s actually increase your chances of getting COVID if you haven’t gone through the rigorous 6-month training course and received your custom-made fitting gasket.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

zgrowler2 posted:

loving truth. I'll take "jabs(?(???))" over doomposting. Like, it's not over, not even close, but the thread gestalt is more bearable

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Thread has largely been pretty positive but please remember that if things have to take a step or two back while vaccines keep rolling out, we're still doing so much better than we were this time last year, friends. We're gonna do this.

Yes to both of these thoughts. It is absolutely important to remember that it isn't over yet and that now is very much the time to remain careful and vigilant (one of my big fears is catching the stupid virus during the next couple of weeks before my vaccine fully kicks in).

At the same time it is really nice to feel like some optimism is finally warranted and that there is a foreseeable timeline for being able to resume a semblance of normal life.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah, Augusta area. I had to hunt for a few days, but I'm getting Moderna and I'm very pumped.

It makes me super happy every time I hear about someone else getting their shot or their appointment. And I have to say, the combination of relief and exhilaration I felt after getting the needle was loving palpable. I know it isn't over, but I also know that it actually will be over.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
For the first time in the pandemic, the last couple of weeks I've actually been glad to have a family member over in the States. At least he will be able to get the vaccine pretty soon, unlike us idiots in Europe, stuck with the AZ vaccine rollout that keeps having setback after setback.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
How long after vaccination is everyone going to continue being cautious?

At the moment Australia's target is that anyone who wants the vaccine will have received their first dose by the end of October.

That means the end of January 2022 will be the target date by which everyone should have received their second dose and I can't see myself being willing to drop precautions before then.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

That's because the Trump Administration bet it all on Red by choosing to horde "American-made" (not really, but close enough for propaganda purposes) vaccines at everyone else's expense, and the Biden Administration and the rest of the US population just got lucky and won the jackpot when those vaccines turned out to be wildly successful.

That was an objectively correct action for a nation state to take. Nation states live in the jungle.
It's still lovely, especially since it could have been handled better and resulted in more US allies getting better treatment. But no one should have expected otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. are saying “woo hoo go nuts” on the 21 June. Which I imagine will go outstandingly well.