Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Macaluso posted:

So outside of this incident, I'm kind of surprised that I guess a lot of people don't like Travis in general? Or maybe just a lot of people here? I love the "annoying my brothers" energy he brings, especially when he'll tell just really awful jokes or puns. His "play along at home" game is absolutely hilarious to me every time he does it because of how much Griffin and Justin hate it

I like Travis a lot but he has a tendency to kickflip himself into going too far on a lot of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think Travis has some really funny jokes and it's in particular very funny when he goes and gaslights and torments Justin and Griffin.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I love the "annoying my brothers" energy he brings, especially when he'll tell just really awful jokes or puns.

yeah it's a nice break from Justin and Griffin being funny

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

when's the last time justin was funny

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
monster factory

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

DoctorWhat posted:

I think Travis has some really funny jokes and it's in particular very funny when he goes and gaslights and torments Justin and Griffin.

This is true, but for every good joke he lands he's got five misses and he has a bad habit of hijacking the show and turning it into Travis Time. I often find it exhausting.

I don't hate the guy or whatever, I'm just really disappointed at the lack of Justin and Griffin but not Travis content these days. The occasional Monster Factory is not enough for me.

That's where my occasional complaints come from, anyways.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Eh, he’s fine. He’s a bit annoying/irksome by himself but brings a good energy that melds well with his brothers as evidenced by, you know, their popular podcast.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Travis is fine, he just doesn't choose his shots. So like, he's pulling his weight in scoring, but his shooting percentage is low as hell, and sometimes he just straight up injures himself jumping somewhere he shouldn't be.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Travis is my least favorite brother, but a better than average person, and you can't really hate on someone too much for that imo

the only time he gets really intolerable to me is when he gets drunk at live shows and starts steamrolling, that is not a man who should be on stage with lowered inhibitions

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

SpacePig posted:

Travis is fine, he just doesn't choose his shots. So like, he's pulling his weight in scoring, but his shooting percentage is low as hell, and sometimes he just straight up injures himself jumping somewhere he shouldn't be.

Yeah this

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I like Travis but his comedy schtick is often to be deliberately annoying and he’s funny enough to pull that off... sometimes. He is also definitely kind of a performative tryhard, sometimes it’s ok because you can tell he means well and other times it’s like “gently caress off dude, come on”. It’s probably good for him to log off for a bit

Some of my favorite McElroy bits are when he drops a stupid (and funny) one-liner and you can hear the poo poo-eating grin in his voice and the others just crack up and call him an idiot. Peak brother energy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

misadventurous posted:

Some of my favorite McElroy bits are when he drops a stupid (and funny) one-liner and you can hear the poo poo-eating grin in his voice and the others just crack up and call him an idiot. Peak brother energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOVjTFa_9I

(also tbf justin calls anyone that makes him crack up an idiot/rear end in a top hat)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

DoctorWhat posted:

when's the last time justin was funny

Goons hate comedy and humor which is why they like Justin

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Travis at his funniest is the funniest. But he spikes low as well as high. The sine wave of comedy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

goblin week posted:

Goons hate comedy and humor which is why they like Justin

at his peak justin is probably my favorite but he just isn't batting very well lately

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOVjTFa_9I

(also tbf justin calls anyone that makes him crack up an idiot/rear end in a top hat)

Exactly the moment I was thinking of lol, definitely had moments like this with my siblings

Another good Travis-driven extremely brother moment: that bit in the TV show where Griffin pulls his shirt up to show his mic wire and Travis smacks him on the belly

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Travis did do the hit on justin though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Justin's maybe phoning it in these days but his body of work speaks for itself

Travis has a handful of great jokes everyone always brings up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

when the pandemic is over and everyone can go outside, a lot of this cabin fever will end and the mcelroys will just stop tweeting forever

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

when the pandemic is over and everyone can go outside, a lot of this cabin fever will end and the mcelroys will just stop tweeting forever

The people who are posting one-handed about McElroy twitter drama didn't go outside before covid and they're not going to start after.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

misadventurous posted:

One of my personal favorites is Travis actually catching himself for once, and still managing to get a laugh out of it.
https://youtu.be/joOXH2AzTw0

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I've found myself getting increasingly annoyed with Travis lately, and I don't even pay that much attention to him outside of MBMBaM. I just think his schtick is wearing thin and he doesn't hit enough 3-pointers to make the number of shots he takes worth it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Macaluso posted:

So outside of this incident, I'm kind of surprised that I guess a lot of people don't like Travis in general? Or maybe just a lot of people here? I love the "annoying my brothers" energy he brings, especially when he'll tell just really awful jokes or puns. His "play along at home" game is absolutely hilarious to me every time he does it because of how much Griffin and Justin hate it

Like other's have said, he's fine, and instrumental to their overall chemistry.

I got kind of down on him awhile ago for the theater kid energy, killing TAZ, and the frustration at seeing him on panels and shows for DM'ing as an expert when he's (imo) not great at it. But eh, it's not his fault one of his first foray's into DM'ing is in such a public space.

It feels like Griffin and Justin are both solid entertainers, while Travis is not as naturally funny at it but compliments them well. This exchange I feel optimizes it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1seFd4rRtKY

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

He's fine on mbmbam, but unlike the other two brothers if I had to hang out with him irl I'd probably want to kick him into a volcano

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've said this before but 2020 really exacerbated all their worst character traits and Travis' really just stands out the most literally because it's a need for constant attention

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You know how when sitcoms go on for too long and characters become parodies of themselves eventually? That’s the brothers right now.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the show started in 2010 so we are solidly in bad simpsons era

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Blockhouse posted:

I've said this before but 2020 really exacerbated all their worst character traits and Travis' really just stands out the most literally because it's a need for constant attention

Justin became lazier and less engaged, Griffin became more neurotic and itchy, and Travis became more Travis.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Macaluso posted:

There's a lot of people who don't listen to mbmbam and only know him through him guesting on other shows or through Twitter and Travis's twitter persona has very large "look how progressive i, a straight white guy, am!" liberal energy. All the bad and none of the remotely endearing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Not Operator posted:

Justin became lazier and less engaged, Griffin became more neurotic and itchy, and Travis became more Travis.

Jesus, imagine 5 years of social distancing. Would.....the world fall into Travis

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

The world would crash into Travis, and he’d fall into the world, as the Dave matthews man foretold

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Shinjobi posted:

Jesus, imagine 5 years of social distancing. Would.....the world fall into Travis

Given how wide he keeps his mouth open that's a real risk. :v:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Shinjobi posted:

An endless void of open mouth smiles...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The mango cult would become real.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mango cult is my fav bit, so how is that bad?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
All I know is I almost crashed my car from laughing so hard after Travis said "ruin my box with crawdads" is his favorite line from 50 Shades of Grey.

Travis almost killed me.

Literal murderer Travis.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Macaluso posted:

We all have a Travis in our life and I listen to podcasts to escape my life.

You know what? It is my great hope Merlin Mann finally does a podcast with the boys and his considered chillness and capacity for introspection rubs off on Travis. Yes, that’s it. Merlin Mann should mentor Travis McElroy. That’s my nice thing I’m going to say.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
NGL super glad all the terrible dumb poo poo I've said in off-handedly my life hasn't been archived to be helldumped by my own fan base.

Holy loving christ get a grip y'all.

He made a yikes joke and didn't even stand by it and apologized, explaining an understanding of the issues and seeking advice in the nanoseconds after.

Maybe it's some underlying horrible poo poo he needs to fix or maybe it's just a dumb moment, but I'll take five Travises over one John Roderick response.

gently caress. Sorry.

2021 has been stressing me out still maybe this isn't about travis I'm just weirdly stressed out because I'm a problematic bisexual who is trying and fucks up daily in social interactions and it's easy to imagine the dumb poo poo I've said haunt me because I think about all those times for a few hours every time I sleep.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 18, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
honestly I’d much rather listen to an hour of unsuccessful and mediocre Travis bits than an hour of unsuccessful and mediocre Elliot Kalan bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dear thread, let's all listen to the McElroy Sleep Experience again