Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Windows HDR has never not been broken trash, so I am gonna sit in the skeptical pouty boat until proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My monitor has a setting to only do HDR in games, not the desktop. It looks pretty cool in Battlefront 2 but it’s a bit overwhelming at first.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zero VGS posted:

Is it me or does HDR actually suck? Like I have a 4K OLED laptop and if I turn on HDR everything is washed out. With HDR off all the colors pop. I looked it up and that's apparently intended, so that if you're watching a movie at night at they show the sun in the movie you'll be blinded? Is that the whole gimmick?

You're not missing anything, you're absolutely correct. Incredibly high brightness and contrast are the hallmarks of HDR.

I'm personally yet to be sold on it, but your mileage may vary

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Gadfly posted:

RDR2 at 720p on ultralow settings? It's better to tell them to use Geforce Now unless their internet connection is horrible.

Rockstar pulled all their games from GeForce Now and signed an exclusive deal with Stadia instead (look how that worked out...)

GeForce Now is technologically great but at this point most major publishers have pulled their games from it. When I tried it it seemed like 75% of my Steam library was unavailable to play on it and what was left was just low-resource indie games that would run fine on anything anyway.

I'll probably resub though when I find time to play Cyberpunk.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cygni posted:

Windows HDR has never not been broken trash, so I am gonna sit in the skeptical pouty boat until proven wrong.

It's been looking great on my C9. RDR2 and DOS2 are both stunners. Ori and the Will of the Wisps needed a bunch of calibration out of the box, but after some twiddling it also looks fantastic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing that often gets overlooked with GFN and laptops is how much longer the battery lasts when gaming.

I get a ridiculous amount of time using GFN on my GPD win max.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

blunt posted:

Rockstar pulled all their games from GeForce Now and signed an exclusive deal with Stadia instead (look how that worked out...)

probably worked out well for rockstar, if their deal was anything like the $20mil that ubisoft got for putting a few games on stadia

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

repiv posted:

probably worked out well for rockstar, if their deal was anything like the $20mil that ubisoft got for putting a few games on stadia

Not sure how many shark cards they're selling to the 5 people that use stadia though 🤷‍♂️

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

wafflemoose posted:

This GPU shortage is nuts, treasuring my RTX2060 right about now. Just how awful is the integrated graphics on Ryzen CPUs? I'd imagine some desperate gamers trying to game on those since all the good gpus are out of stock or way overpriced.

That's me! I bit the bullet on a 3400G because B&H Photo/Video had them up for $170, which is only $20 over MSRP. Eventually I will upgrade to a 5950X to max out the X570 I've got coming, but I refuse to get scalped for one. I haven't upgraded from a 1080p monitor yet, either, so that will probably be one of the last steps in my upgrade process. I've got a hell of a backlog of older games, so I will be fine with APU performance for a while, especially since it's clearly better than my Intel UHD620 laptop. I figure I can build a decent enough file server around the APU later if I want to. Now the question is, which becomes available first at non-scalper prices? High-end Zen 3 or a 3080?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

blunt posted:

GeForce Now is technologically great but at this point most major publishers have pulled their games from it. When I tried it it seemed like 75% of my Steam library was unavailable to play on it and what was left was just low-resource indie games that would run fine on anything anyway.

I'll probably resub though when I find time to play Cyberpunk.

What GeForce Now needs (what all these companies need) is a datacenter within like 5 miles of anyone or at least major population areas. I'm three miles out of Boston and if I stream from my work to my house it's 8ms ping but these services are double or more. I shouldn't be able to set up a multi-mile stream between disparate ISPs and have better latency than NVidia or Stadia can manage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

istewart posted:

Now the question is, which becomes available first at non-scalper prices? High-end Zen 3 or a 3080?

5800X have been frequently available as of late. That’s about the upper limit for people who don’t make money using Premiere or something.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fidelityfx super resolution update: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-fsr-to-launch-this-year-for-pcs

quote:

We want to launch it this year. We believe we can do that this year, but at the same time we a lot more work ahead of us.

don't hold your breath

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

istewart posted:

Now the question is, which becomes available first at non-scalper prices? High-end Zen 3 or a 3080?

In the UK at least the 5800x is readily available. I’ve bought two in the last couple of days at MSRP, had my choice of vendors. 3080 is a unicorn though.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Twibbit posted:

Back when I was 1080p I played ffxiv at 4x with no smoothing. Looked really good. Now that I am on 1440p 4x gets a lot heavier to use

I know it's not even straight integer scaling and thus bound to be problematic but even 1440p scaled to a 1080p screen with ffxiv was great for how clean the image looked in comparison to native, at least on AMD. But I would definitely not trade 60+ fps for it. Though I imagine part of it was how UI elements were smaller, even with a tinkered UI setup.

I'm curious to see if I can manage 60 fps in large scale content with 1440p scaling once I pick up my aging RX480 that I'm currently not near to to pair with my new 5600x build, but doubt it, the card is definitely not built to handle that resolution even in aging games.

Also FFXIV's benchmark nowhere near represents how the game performs in real life with large scale content, it's way more CPU bound in real life. Hell, I'm happier how my veritably ancient HD7850 performs paired with 5600x than my minorly OC'd 3570k did with the RX480.

Honestly that scaling is largely the reason I eventually want to go into 1440p native, but I imagine I don't want to go beyond 27" in order not to lose all of that sharpness with the reduced DPI and all introduced by larger screen sizes.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
So I had a plan to build a lightweight gaming rig out of some spare components for one of the kids, just need to get my hands on a GPU. Having bought a 1650 for ~200 in the past I figured that would be easy enough until I started actually *looking* and can't find literally anything for cheaper than out of stock 3060s without going all the way down to like, 1030's or 710's.

Is this just an impossible plan with how turbofucked the market appears to be right now?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

istewart posted:

While the 5900X and 5950X are hard to find the scalper prices have slowly been dropping closer to MSRP while GPU prices are totally up in the stratosphere and showing no signs of improvement. Ebay sold listings for a 5950X are ~$1050 while for a 3080 it's $2100+ :suicide:.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

6700XT MSRP is like $470. ASUS' cheapest card is $730. Gotta love it.

https://store.asus.com/us/search?q=6700xt&s_c=1

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just sold my GTX 1070 for $490 minus shipping within two hours of putting it up on eBay :laffo:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my kinda ape posted:

Just sold my GTX 1070 for $490 minus shipping within two hours of putting it up on eBay :laffo:

I could sell my 2080 for more than double what I paid for it. It's insane.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

AutoArgus posted:

Is this just an impossible plan with how turbofucked the market appears to be right now?

Yes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

I've got a 980Ti "Golden Dragon" edition which I could probably re-paste and then sell for about 400 bucks, might look into that since I've still got the box, antistatic bag, and all the goodies for the card.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

my kinda ape posted:

Hmm thinking about selling my 2070 super instead of giving it to my brother now.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Zil posted:

Hmm thinking about selling my 2070 super instead of giving it to my brother now.

I gave my Ryzen 3600 to a friend who's been getting into PC gaming and has a lovely PC but $500 is way too much to pass up for a nearly 4 year old PC part. I highly suggest you all sell your spare older cards while the getting is good.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I hadn't been on the EVGA waiting list because I didn't want it to pop available before I had the money to buy it.

Now, thanks to the government, I have the money and am on the queue.

What's the likelihood I'll get a card before the next generation of cards launches?

What's the best way to get a 3080 for around $900 or less? Is it even possible?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Annath posted:

join a stock discord, spend a nontrivial amount of time monitoring and (this is important) interacting with the stock discord because people chatter - if someone says "huh X retailer is taking sales calls instead of their website" or similar you want to know. get very, very lucky after fishing for some time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CoolCab posted:

join a stock discord, spend a nontrivial amount of time monitoring and (this is important) interacting with the stock discord because people chatter - if someone says "huh X retailer is taking sales calls instead of their website" or similar you want to know. get very, very lucky after fishing for some time.

Any suggestions on such a Discord? Or any sort of Discord Directory?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Annath posted:

So, I hadn't been on the EVGA waiting list because I didn't want it to pop available before I had the money to buy it.

Now, thanks to the government, I have the money and am on the queue.

What's the likelihood I'll get a card before the next generation of cards launches?

Yeah you're not getting a card in 2021 off that list. ATR-STONKS is the discord server you want, but you have to set up mobile notifications and pre-populate billing info to even remotely have a chance at this point.

I put my name on EVGA"s list for a 3080 and 3090 in mid October and I already know I won't be getting a card off those this year. At least I scored a 3090 off a Newegg drop in November.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Annath posted:

Any suggestions on such a Discord? Or any sort of Discord Directory?

i literally just googled "3060ti stock discord" and left more or less immediately after i got one (went with a 3070 in the end) because it was kind of...not a great discord. but you really need to be in a room with a bunch of other people trying and keeping an eye on it - asking questions, etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just a word of caution - if you're buying a used EVGA card and the seller says it has an extended warranty and that EVGA honors it, they're mistaken or lying. EVGA only honors the original three year warranty if ownership is transferred. Extended warranties don't transfer.

I only mention it because on a lark I checked to see what the 2080 FTW3 Ultra I have might be worth (not that I'm selling it) and one seller claimed his still have a "900+ day warranty."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think you can pay $25 to get an extended warranty on those and kick into the Step Up program

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

20 mil is peanuts for Rockstar, GTAV had made 6 billion dollars as of 3 years ago.

GTA is basically the original hyper-monetized game-as-a-service, those whales are a loving cash pinata.

not that anybody really uses GFN either, but locking themselves into stadia was a dumb decision

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

like no poo poo, this was all supposed to be released 6 months ago and the reason they've gone radio silent is cause it doesn't loving work

this is the "wait for Primitive Shaders" or "wait for HBCC" or "HBM means VRAM capacity doesn't matter anymore" of this generation

AMD does that, they just lie about their feature support and then welp it turns out that it never gets released or doesn't really do anything.

expect some basic enhancement of the contrast-adaptive sharpening, if they aren't requiring per-engine integration then it can't lean on motion vectors and CAS is the best you can do without motion vectors so far. If they do go for per-engine integration then maybe but so far they've said they're not doing that, and they're probably not going to rival DLSS without hardware acceleration for it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 18, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

like no poo poo, this was all supposed to be released 6 months ago and the reason they've gone radio silent is cause it doesn't loving work

I feel for whoever at AMD had this project dumped on them, the directive is basically "yeah every AAA engine developer has been banging on temporal upscaling since the PS4Pro/XB1X launched, can you uhhhh do the needful and come up with something better than any of those guys have managed thanks"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

I feel for whoever at AMD had this project dumped on them, the directive is basically "yeah every AAA engine developer has been banging on temporal upscaling since the PS4Pro/XB1X launched, can you uhhhh do the needful and come up with something better than any of those guys have managed thanks"

ez just beat the state of the art that every studio has been banging on for 20 years on temporal AA, oh and we don't have hardware acceleration for any of this

we promised the community an update in 2 months, good luck

/6 months later: "it's uh... going"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FilthyImp posted:

I think you can pay $25 to get an extended warranty on those and kick into the Step Up program

Extended warranties on pre-owned/registered cards don't transfer, and furthermore, the warranty for the new owner is effective as of the day the card's initial boxing and serializing, not the day the first owner registered it.

The only way an extended warranty still works is if the original owner handles the RMA process for the new owner in perpetuity.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

the fact that they literally even don't know what approach they're going to be using, 6 months after they were supposedly going to talk about it to the public, really says everything

quote:

You don’t need machine learning to do it, you can do this many different ways and we are evaluating many different ways.

"we're still evaluating"

yeah I mean you can probably machine-learn some kind of deterministic algorithm that approximates the weighting function for the subpixel data and motion vectors but uhhhhhhhhh, you don't even have a game plan?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah I mean you can probably machine-learn some kind of deterministic algorithm that approximates the weighting function for the subpixel data and motion vectors but uhhhhhhhhh, you don't even have a game plan?

there are lots of ways to generate a matrix! dozens!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I keep forgetting that they can't even do that because they are claiming this won't require per-engine integration, so no subpixel data or motion vectors at all

such an impossible task that my mind just keeps blotting that fact out

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

As usual, Paul is melting down about a fairly innocuous AMD quote

quote:

Scott Herkelman – CVP & GM at AMD Radeon – today confirmed that AMD’s super-resolution technology, the answer to NVIDIA DLSS is still in development but AMD is aiming to launch it this year. He confirmed that the company still has a lot of work to do and it is still evaluating the actual technology behind the upscaling algorithm.

“We believe we can do that this year, but at the same time we have a lot more work ahead of us. We need to make sure the image quality is there. We need to make sure it can scale from different resolutions. And at the same time that our game developers are happy with what we are producing.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Where did they say no engine integration? I was under the impression it will plug into the engine

Trying to do what they're trying to do without jittering or motion vectors is a total fools errand

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 18, 2021