Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are also literally magical which is helpful

They have booze so there is some stuff going on behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I know Tolkien set certain standards when he detailed the structure and organisation of Hobbiton's postal service and Lamedon's acreage of wheatfields, but there's no reason to think elves didn't have functional, mundane societies happening off-page. They're shown to have solid houses and feasts and wine, and organise tedious meetings like everyone else.

People's readings suffer for the decades of copycat fantasy/d&d baggage influencing their ideas of what elves are "supposed" to be, to the point where the lack of a written sex scene between Legolas and Gimli has them questioning if Tolkien's elves can even get horny. Of course they can, Frodo's just too much of a stuck up toff to dedicate pages to it in his book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can't help but be reminded of Cassidy in Preacher

He's a vampire, but that literally just means a) drinks blood and b) lives forever and c) burns up in the sun. Nothing in there about dressing like a brooding goth or living in a castle or speaking like a central european lord. So he spends a century boozing and fighting in Irish pubs and rocking at heavy metal concerts

Runs into another vampire who actually does embody all those stereotypical behaviors and has a cadre of nubile young acolytes that he preys on and everything, turns out that's just because he's an evil predatory gently caress. Nothing to do with being a vampire though

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

sassassin posted:

I know Tolkien set certain standards when he detailed the structure and organisation of Hobbiton's postal service and Lamedon's acreage of wheatfields, but there's no reason to think elves didn't have functional, mundane societies happening off-page. They're shown to have solid houses and feasts and wine, and organise tedious meetings like everyone else.

People's readings suffer for the decades of copycat fantasy/d&d baggage influencing their ideas of what elves are "supposed" to be, to the point where the lack of a written sex scene between Legolas and Gimli has them questioning if Tolkien's elves can even get horny. Of course they can, Frodo's just too much of a stuck up toff to dedicate pages to it in his book.

While true, it’s also true that we know of (and visit between Hobbit and LOTR) three third age elven states, and in none of our visits do they seem to have the same impact on the landscape as human states do. We know Tolkien knows about this because the actual human and hobbit settlements do have this effect on the land. Rivendell might plausibly be surrounded by fields that just go unremarked, but neither Murkwood nor Lothlorien seem to have the kind of land dedicated to agriculture that we’d expect. So I think it’s kind of interesting to speculate about why that might be.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's not like Tolkien shied away from depictions of agriculture. Hell, he even shouted out where Mordor was getting their food.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

The elves are sailing back west because they've run out of food and are fuckin' starving.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's a sensitive subject but Elves get most of their protein from whoever get caught trying to sneak into their barrel transportation system.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I found a blog post dealing with this topic in detail; it's mostly conjecture based on the scant information have, but still an interesting and imo mostly convincing read.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elves can simply farm without despoiling nature.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I assume there is a lot of singing

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

System Metternich posted:

it's mostly conjecture based on the scant information have

This is basically everything in this thread and there is never any reason to apologise for it

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Bongo Bill posted:

Elves can simply farm without despoiling nature.

Permaculture!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Data Graham posted:

Runs into another vampire who actually does embody all those stereotypical behaviors and has a cadre of nubile young acolytes that he preys on and everything, turns out that's just because he's an evil predatory gently caress. Nothing to do with being a vampire though

"I became a vampire so I could live forever and see future cars!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpxnxAL62A

Tree of Amalion
Sep 6, 2005

Anshu posted:

Permaculture!

I was going to make my first post in this thread saying that, but Alas! You beat me to it. It would be a garden that might go unnoticed by visitors, and I'm sure they use their singing to speed it all along. :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If Eru could sing the whole world into existence then the Elves could sing up a nice mezze

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Melkor singing "put tomato sauce on it"

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeah, try farming some cauliflower or head lettuce by singing, see what that gets you.
Bloody elves.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/m_djarin/status/1370933586476552192?s=20

Those are all awesome

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

"This tweet is unavailable". What used to be there?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Anshu posted:

"This tweet is unavailable". What used to be there?

A repost of this person's very pretty Middle-Earth posters: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LastStudio?section_id=27693728

Originally uncredited, so the tweet probably got hit for copyright infringement.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
So I was thinking about modern transpositions of LOTR and a very silly idea came to me and I must inflict it upon you all:

The Athrad Motor Company

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Rivendell and Lothorien elves are living on the remnants of the past. They have been using the same set of clothes probably for thousands of years and are too tired of the world to care for vanity and fashion. We know they can store food for a very long time. They might have stopped working the land a long time ago and are simply living on the very last reserves of food and drink in the third age since they know they will have to leave soon anyway.

I for one like the idea that Elrond was serving up the very last barrel of elven wine and game that was originally butchered sometime before the war of the last alliance when the followship went to Rivendell.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baudolino posted:

too tired of the world to care for vanity and fashion.

Nonsense. Peter Jackson's emotionless vulcans have warped people's minds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't help but feel like Jackson wasn't the first to do Elves that way. Wasn't the "stoic, solemn, mystical vulcan" archetype something that had been established by like D&D and such already?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Definitely not the first. It was such a common trope that Pratchett made an entire riff on it in Lords and Ladies in 1992.

Lords and Ladies posted:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sassassin posted:

Nonsense. Peter Jackson's emotionless vulcans have warped people's minds.

yeah definitely

Arcsquad12 posted:

Definitely not the first. It was such a common trope that Pratchett made an entire riff on it in Lords and Ladies in 1992.

pratchett's elves weren't jackson's vulcan elves

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah definitely

pratchett's elves weren't jackson's vulcan elves

I mean Pratchett Elves are sorta similar to Tolkien hot headed Silmarillion elves. Maybe a tad more sociopathic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Baudolino posted:

Rivendell and Lothorien elves are living on the remnants of the past. They have been using the same set of clothes probably for thousands of years and are too tired of the world to care for vanity and fashion.

The elves caused incredible amounts of kinslaying because someone stole some jewels, not to mention all the other strife that comes about insulting their pride. They absolutely care about vanity and fashion.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think by the time the 3rd age rolls around all the arrogant super elves are dead. Elrond and even Galadriel are much younger and less fearsome than their forefathers. They'd still take a good chunk of saurons forces with them if they had to fight, but I think they might have learned a thing or two about strife prior to the fall of the beleriand.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

I think by the time the 3rd age rolls around all the arrogant super elves are dead. Elrond and even Galadriel are much younger and less fearsome than their forefathers. They'd still take a good chunk of saurons forces with them if they had to fight, but I think they might have learned a thing or two about strife prior to the fall of the beleriand.

Galadriel is "only" like 200 years younger than Feanor so that part not so much.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Galadriel was always the chillest of the Noldor though. She didn’t participate in the kinslaughter and had no interest in the war of the Silmarils, she went along because she was curious what it would be like to set up for herself without gods constantly looking over her shoulder. While everyone else was busy fighting Morgoth, she was off in Doriath getting Melian to tell her the secrets of how to enchant forests so nobody will come into them and bother you.

I think it’s fair to say that there’s been something of a selection effect against aggressive behavior in the elvish princes. The ones who survive are still pretty capable of violence, since they are elves and princes after all. But the big warlords among them have all gotten killed long ago.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean Pratchett Elves are sorta similar to Tolkien hot headed Silmarillion elves. Maybe a tad more sociopathic.

Pratchett's elves were based off the Fae and whatnot, they had very little if anything to do with Tolkien's elves. Also I'd argue that terrifying eldritch beings from another realm are far from emotionless Vulcan types.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

Galadriel was always the chillest of the Noldor though. She didn’t participate in the kinslaughter and had no interest in the war of the Silmarils, she went along because she was curious what it would be like to set up for herself without gods constantly looking over her shoulder. While everyone else was busy fighting Morgoth, she was off in Doriath getting Melian to tell her the secrets of how to enchant forests so nobody will come into them and bother you.

I think it’s fair to say that there’s been something of a selection effect against aggressive behavior in the elvish princes. The ones who survive are still pretty capable of violence, since they are elves and princes after all. But the big warlords among them have all gotten killed long ago.

Pierson's Puppeteers working on things long before reported.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

It's terribly tempting- but probably a massive overreach- to draw a comparison here with all those TALLY HO PIP PIP junior officers who got minced in the trenches, and the guys who were content to look after signals and so had a higher chance of survival...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Galadriel is your stoned friend who patiently waits for the pizza to arrive, Elrond is your stoned friend who constantly asks you for updates about when the pizza is going to be here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Gil-galad drives everyone to Wendy's.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Celeborn has to be Luigi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does that make Cirdan the friend who stayed home that night and gets gets call at 3 am to play DD and drive across town to pick everyone up from the bar after their fake IDs are confiscated?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cirdan really seems like he got the short end of the stick a lot. But on the other hand, he really got to hang out at the shore a lot. I think his town was besieged by orcs a couple times in the silmarillion? Mostly got left alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cirdan really seems like he got the short end of the stick a lot. But on the other hand, he really got to hang out at the shore a lot. I think his town was besieged by orcs a couple times in the silmarillion? Mostly got left alone.

They got besieged a couple of times, but the second time they got destroyed. Cirdan had to flee to the Isle of Balar.