Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google has accidentally confirmed that the following phones will exist eventually, probably sometime this year:

quote:

Asus Zenfone 8 Flip
Asus ROG Phone 5
LG Stylo 7
Motorola moto g(10)/Lenovo K13 Note
Motorola moto g(30)
Motorola moto g(100)
Oppo Reno 5 A
Oppo Reno 5 Pro+ 5G Bosch
realme 8 Pro
Samsung A32 4G
Samsung A52 4G
Samsung A72 4G
Samsung A82 5G
Samsung F62
Samsung M62
TCL 20 Pro5G
Vivo X60 5G
Xiaomi Redmi K40 Pro/Pro+
Zebra Zebra TC21 WLAN Touch Computer
Zebra Zebra TC26 WWAN Touch Computer
Zebra Zebra EC50 WLAN Enterprise Computer
Zebra Zebra EC55 WWAN Enterprise Computer
ZTE Z6650S

They updated the ARCore support site and accidentally added these phones which haven't even released yet or even been announced.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/03/15/google-ar-support-docs-tease-a-bunch-of-upcoming-phones/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Cancelation of Google pixel line confirmed :cry:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally, my Zebra Zebra TC24 WWAN Touch Computer was feeling chuggy!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Not content to leak everything about every pixel, Google set their sights on the whole platform.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
How does android auto work. I have a kenwood DDX9906XR headunit and a pixel 4a. With all the updates to AA happening, will i benefit from my phone updates, or only if my HU gets an update (last/current 10.2020)?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Your head unit acts solely as the display, all the processing is done on the phone. All the updates are on the phone side of the equation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's a display and input device only. Everything else is phone driven.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Endless Mike posted:

Finally, my Zebra Zebra TC24 WWAN Touch Computer was feeling chuggy!

Zebra makes barcode systems - printers with supplies, and all sort of scanners. Some of the scanners are little tablets that can run inventory apps directly - at a guess, this is one of those. :)

(I kind of run a barcoded inventory system for sample tubes at work. No android devices, but some Zebra gear. It's decent, and their documentation is above average.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Zebra makes barcode systems - printers with supplies, and all sort of scanners. Some of the scanners are little tablets that can run inventory apps directly - at a guess, this is one of those. :)

(I kind of run a barcoded inventory system for sample tubes at work. No android devices, but some Zebra gear. It's decent, and their documentation is above average.)

Got an old rear end Zebra barcode printer at work that has been running great for 10 years. We're still waiting on the little tablets to do stuff wirelessly instead of storing codes on a reader and using a dock to unload them.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Our rooms with freezers are not an especially rough environment, so we just use laptops with cheap usb scanners - but I imagine that's kind of an exception.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Has anyone with a Samsung phone lately noticed problems with downloading Play store updates?

I have an S21 Ultra and it's been refusing to upgrade things like Chrome, or other apps for over a week now. It'll get to 99% complete and just stall out there.

Tried looking on Samsung's site and they had some suggestions such as clearing the Play store cache and booting into safe mode. Their final option was to do a factory reset. Since I only got the phone a month ago I figured I'd give it a whirl because I did the transfer of apps from my old phone and thought that maybe something went wonky in the transfer so I'd start over roughly from scratch and only re-install the apps I knew I needed.

Well jokes on me because now nothing will install, or update, including my 2FA app I need to VPN in for work.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

real_scud posted:

Has anyone with a Samsung phone lately noticed problems with downloading Play store updates?

I have an S21 Ultra and it's been refusing to upgrade things like Chrome, or other apps for over a week now. It'll get to 99% complete and just stall out there.

Tried looking on Samsung's site and they had some suggestions such as clearing the Play store cache and booting into safe mode. Their final option was to do a factory reset. Since I only got the phone a month ago I figured I'd give it a whirl because I did the transfer of apps from my old phone and thought that maybe something went wonky in the transfer so I'd start over roughly from scratch and only re-install the apps I knew I needed.

Well jokes on me because now nothing will install, or update, including my 2FA app I need to VPN in for work.

Just tried with my S21 Ultra and everything updated fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I had that problem for a while, it was also Chrome that refused to update for me. Updates started working again after I cleared the Google Play cache and I haven't had any issues with it since, but I also used Samsung's migration tool to move my apps and settings from my old S8 to my new S20, so it's entirely possible that this might be what caused the problem for both of us.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

real_scud posted:

Weird that a factory reset didn't help but how about clearing data and cache on Play Services? Honestly at this point nothing could be worse than what you've got. I think I know what the problem is but I can't see how a factory reset wouldn't solve just about everything.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

regulargonzalez posted:

Samesies

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Uthor posted:

I've gotten into the bad habit of watching YouTube videos as I fall asleep and have noticed that my screen doesn't turn off after they end of the video when my phone is plugged in, so I wake up in the middle of the night to a light shining in my eyes. Dunno what changed, but it's annoying. Can't find a setting for it in the app.

With Youtube Premium you can play videos while the phone is locked. I think vanced does the same thing https://vancedapp.com/

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

Heard from someone else on a Slack that I'm on had a similar problem to me so I was hoping there'd be others in the Samsung ecosystem who are in a similar situation.

LastInLine posted:

Weird that a factory reset didn't help but how about clearing data and cache on Play Services? Honestly at this point nothing could be worse than what you've got. I think I know what the problem is but I can't see how a factory reset wouldn't solve just about everything.
Yeah I've tried clearing the data and cache on Play Services as well as Play Store and still nothing. It's fuckin weird now it's having a Chrome update sit at pending, but a bit ago it got stuck at like 40%.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hows everyones bluetooth performance? Its never been 100% in my car ('15 civic). Okay most of the time but I every day I'll get these little static noises for a second. This morning for the first time though on a song it happened but then it just kept happening until I skipped the song. Really wish I a) waited a year so I coulda got the drat car with android auto or b) honda didn't have such a hard on for loving apple. What a disappointment that car has been in that regard, coming from my old GMC, especially with my Windows phone at the time where I could do literally everything hands free without so much as having to look at the phone let alone touch it. Now I can do basically nothing. And its such a dick around to get an aftermarket head unit while maintaining use of my side and rear cameras.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

codo27 posted:

Hows everyones bluetooth performance? Its never been 100% in my car ('15 civic). Okay most of the time but I every day I'll get these little static noises for a second. This morning for the first time though on a song it happened but then it just kept happening until I skipped the song. Really wish I a) waited a year so I coulda got the drat car with android auto or b) honda didn't have such a hard on for loving apple. What a disappointment that car has been in that regard, coming from my old GMC, especially with my Windows phone at the time where I could do literally everything hands free without so much as having to look at the phone let alone touch it. Now I can do basically nothing. And its such a dick around to get an aftermarket head unit while maintaining use of my side and rear cameras.

My Civic is 100% fine on Bluetooth 100% of the time; I've never heard any static. The only annoyance is sometimes I turn the car on and it thinks I want to continue a YouTube video instead of my music. I don't bother with Android Auto unless I'll be driving at least 20 min.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

real_scud posted:

Heard from someone else on a Slack that I'm on had a similar problem to me so I was hoping there'd be others in the Samsung ecosystem who are in a similar situation.

Yeah I've tried clearing the data and cache on Play Services as well as Play Store and still nothing. It's fuckin weird now it's having a Chrome update sit at pending, but a bit ago it got stuck at like 40%.
I've heard of this problem several times and I don't think there's ever been a manufacturer consistently to blame. I think it's just an android bug.
My dad had it on his Nokia and it cleared the next time he got a monthly. I think it was the act of updating, rather than it being a bug fix, that cleared it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
First of all, you folks weren't kidding about the Pixel 5's battery life! This thing is amazing compared to my Pixel 3!

Now for a question: I've enabled wifi calling, but the calls fail to start or drop if I don't have cellular signal. I thought the whole point of wifi calling is that it doesn't need the cell signal?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

hooah posted:

First of all, you folks weren't kidding about the Pixel 5's battery life! This thing is amazing compared to my Pixel 3!

Now for a question: I've enabled wifi calling, but the calls fail to start or drop if I don't have cellular signal. I thought the whole point of wifi calling is that it doesn't need the cell signal?

Support for WiFi calling is carrier-dependent

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Support for WiFi calling is carrier-dependent

I'm on Mint Mobile, which supports it. I had the wifi calling option on the phone set to call over mobile unless it's unavailable. I switched to the other option to see if that works better.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Khablam posted:

I've heard of this problem several times and I don't think there's ever been a manufacturer consistently to blame. I think it's just an android bug.
My dad had it on his Nokia and it cleared the next time he got a monthly. I think it was the act of updating, rather than it being a bug fix, that cleared it.
I managed to get it fixed I think by killing the Play Store process, clearing the cache and updates of Play Store and Play Services, then reopening the Play Store and letting it fully update all the necessary crap it needed.

Looked like it wasn't working but eventually the stuff needed to be installed worked and I was able to get Chrome and then everything to install.

Still doesn't explain how my normally functioning S21 suddenly went haywire and refused to update a lot of things.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

hooah posted:

Try enabling "Mobile Data Always Active" in developer options. It should fix your calls dropping in low reception. I have terrible reception at home but perfect WiFi and this fixed it for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the OnePlus 9 Pro will have an LTPO panel like the S21 Ultra with a dynamic refresh rate from 1hz to 120hz (S21 Ultra goes down to 10hz). It will also have a 30ms touch latency.

All around it's looking like a pretty nice refinement of the OP8P.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

real_scud posted:

Still doesn't explain how my normally functioning S21 suddenly went haywire and refused to update a lot of things.
Google gives 186million results for "play services not updating".
It's always been a garbage fire.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

salt shakeup posted:

Try enabling "Mobile Data Always Active" in developer options. It should fix your calls dropping in low reception. I have terrible reception at home but perfect WiFi and this fixed it for me.

That was already on.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the OnePlus 9 Pro will have an LTPO panel like the S21 Ultra with a dynamic refresh rate from 1hz to 120hz (S21 Ultra goes down to 10hz). It will also have a 30ms touch latency.

All around it's looking like a pretty nice refinement of the OP8P.

Looks like it could be a great upgrade from my 7T. I'm excited for next week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

Looks like it could be a great upgrade from my 7T. I'm excited for next week.

Yeah, I know it's unsurprising at this point, but unless something bad comes out about it, I'm probably picking up a OP9P. The camera intrigues me and I just really liked the OP8P and the OP9P improves on almost almost aspect about it.

Probably going to just hold on to the S21 Ultra to covert to a fold 3 this fall to have a compact tablet. All things being equal, I would rather have a OnePlus device as a big phone than a Samsung device. I'm still enamored with the size and weight of the Pixel 5 as a day to day carry with me everywhere device though.

I feel like my OP8P got the short stick as it was in use most of 2020 and that whole year was spent in one spot for the most part. Aside from comet photography, I really didn't get a chance to really see what it could do out in the world.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
On a Pixel 5, is there any way to have the call end with some kind of audible noise? I hate it when signal drops off or whatever and I'm talking to myself for ages.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More evidence that the Note is not coming out this year. Not a definitive end to the line, but likely not happening this year.

https://www.droid-life.com/2021/03/17/samsung-probably-skipping-new-galaxy-note-phones-this-year/

quote:

While streamlining a mobile lineup is a fine excuse, Koh actually dives a bit deeper into the reasoning. Speaking to shareholders at an annual meeting, Koh explains that, “It can be a lot of pressure on us to release two flagship models supporting the S-Pen within a year, so the launch of new Galaxy Note series may not happen in the second half of this year.”

This doesn’t mean the Galaxy Note line is completely dead. He continued with, “Next year, the launch period of the Galaxy Note may be different than the past, but we are trying to continue the series. The Galaxy Note series is an important category for us.”

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I almost never ever have a problem with my Pixel ... until now. After the latest update the battery services have gone all fucky. First it added some kind of battery saving option so that it won't let the phone get hot because it's apparently bad for the battery ... except now my phone won't fast charge. Sometimes it won't charge at all until I reboot the phone. WTF?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fondue posted:

it added some kind of battery saving option so that it won't let the phone get hot because it's apparently bad for the battery ...

What option are you talking about? My 5 doesn't seem to have anything new in that regard compared to my 3.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fondue posted:

I almost never ever have a problem with my Pixel ... until now. After the latest update the battery services have gone all fucky. First it added some kind of battery saving option so that it won't let the phone get hot because it's apparently bad for the battery ... except now my phone won't fast charge. Sometimes it won't charge at all until I reboot the phone. WTF?

My Pixel 5 hasn't added anything like that....

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i don't see it either

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I wish I'd taken a picture of it ... I'll do that next time it happens. As of right now I have to reboot my phone to fast charge. :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I mean, has it been hot? I've hat pop ups like that in hot conditions, like inside a car without AC on a hot day.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bull3964 posted:

some guy posted:

“It can be a lot of pressure on us to release two flagship models supporting the S-Pen within a year, so the launch of new Galaxy Note series may not happen in the second half of this year.”

well by all means, keep releasing the one that DOESN'T have a way to store the s-pen :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

fondue posted:

Is it the Adaptive Charging option? The one that charges your phone slow so it's topped up when you wake up?