Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

A few days ago I found a Sly and the Family Stone comp. Not a huge score but a good find none the less. Especially when it was sandwiched in with the garbage. I don't know if all Savers/Value Village stores are like this but the one in my area just randomly puts stuff out. There's no schedule stuff just comes out on the floor various times a day on any day. So there's no bullshit where people can just go there at opening and pick all the good poo poo out. It could go out there at 10:00 am or 6:00 at night. Check often and you might find something worthwhile.

Yeah I went to a savers last Sunday in the late afternoon and got a really nice linear tracker turntable in perfect working condition for $10. It must have just been put out because stuff like that never lasts long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I went to Goodwill a few times many years ago to do some digging, realized there was absolutely nothing of any value and probably never would be and just said gently caress it. I'm sure if I went regularly I'd score something here and there and there was always that hope you'd go at the same time they put out someone's entire cherished catalog of minty late 70's hardcore or whatever but for the amount of time that would take, nah, I'll do something else with my limited time on this earth and just pay retail price for records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I went to Goodwill a few times many years ago to do some digging, realized there was absolutely nothing of any value and probably never would be and just said gently caress it. I'm sure if I went regularly I'd score something here and there and there was always that hope you'd go at the same time they put out someone's entire cherished catalog of minty late 70's hardcore or whatever but for the amount of time that would take, nah, I'll do something else with my limited time on this earth and just pay retail price for records.

I went into a small Salvation Army once that definitely had some dead person’s collection of late 70’s/early 80s jazz fusion and funk. I picked up some Hiroshima, Spiro Gyra (not really hard to find), Graham Central Station, Funkadelic’s greatest hits, Blackbyrds, stuff like that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Barry posted:

There is nothing but garbage left because everybody price checks against Ebay. It used to be so much easier to find cool stuff before people did this. I think the only reason I got the records I did is because they're DJ copies in generic sleeves and easily missed. And the only reason I went this time was because I happened to be going to another store in the same place as the thrift stores; I don't make special trips anymore especially since the last dozen times I tried I walked out with nothing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

There is nothing but garbage left because everybody price checks against Ebay. It used to be so much easier to find cool stuff before people did this. I think the only reason I got the records I did is because they're DJ copies in generic sleeves and easily missed. And the only reason I went this time was because I happened to be going to another store in the same place as the thrift stores; I don't make special trips anymore especially since the last dozen times I tried I walked out with nothing.

I mean also at some point everyone has already donated their record collection who’s going to donate their record collection. It’s 2021. It’s not like people are just switching over to CD and trying to save space anymore.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't have a lot to do so I like going in there to look for poo poo. I know it's much harder to get the good poo poo at a thrift store but it's not impossible. I'm not expecting to find a first pressing of Millions of Dead Cops or something because as Turbinosamente people are just googling poo poo before they dump it. But you'd also be surprised at how many people are completely unaware that anyone still wants old records. I come across them a lot. They're usually older but that makes it all the more likely they could have adult children who left their old poo poo hanging around and are just like "I'm getting rid of this garbage.". Either way I like looking through the stuff and I go to Savers to buy books and look for various other sorts of weird old crap. When I recently found a copy of Songs in the Key of Life I consider that a score.

As much as I bitch about all the nonsense with collecting records now I truly do enjoy it and will be doing it for the rest of my life unless stuff becomes expensive to the point where I can't even remotely afford it. I'm hoping things relax a bit when people can actually go places again and aren't inside all day buying everything on ebay and discogs for unreasonable prices.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 15, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been to a few thrift shops since lockdown lifted here and while the selection is very hit or miss, my biggest disappointment was that everything I am remotely interested in looks like it was run over with a belt sander such that I don't even feel like taking a chance on it for a few bucks.

Which, I mean, I guess shouldn't be surprising given it's all second/third/foruth hand fragile material.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I guess that's one of the benefits of living out here in the backwaters then, because I can still find stuff at the goodwill. There have also been a couple of really nice complete sound systems I could have had for a song over the past couple of weeks and the records are very hit or miss but I still find stuff of interest now and then, at least to me and like-minded weirdos.

But like I think I've said, my collection was originally intended as a sampling library, so weird old poo poo is a thing for me. And the kind of stuff I really like to find is likely as anything to be found among the gospel and Jim Neighbors and stuff. Like I get a real kick when I find a 1950s business success formula type record in perfect shape from some grifter, but I've just spent a lot of time listening to Negativeland and Rev. Stang and stuff and my mind goes to just what I'd do with this stuff in the ideal studio environment.

Or at least that's how it started. I've made so many discoveries over the past few years. Like though it's not sampling material, I've wound up with an incredible collection of Fats Waller.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 15, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I assume then you have one of these records. I passed it up in a shop and it's probably still sitting there. What I really want for the novelty factor is the husqvarna chainsaw record, but $600 is a bit much.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 15, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

I assume then you have one of these records. I passed it up in a shop and it's probably still sitting there. What I really want for the novelty factor is the husqvarna chainsaw record, but $600 is a bit much.

600$ I guess I should have picked that one up the other day

Here's a subgenre for you:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It’s worthless as far as value goes, but I the last record I got at a Savers was Modern Jazz Quartet with a weird vocal duo doing jazz takes on baroque music and it’s very cool and weird. There’s often interesting thrift store records out there as long as you aren’t interested in stuff that’s collectible.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

For the amount of 60s vocal records that turn up at Savers I'm shocked that I never see Dusty Springfield or the (60s) Supremes. When I do find girl group and Motown vocal records they're scratched to poo poo.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 15, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

Wait you actually saw the husqvarna record someplace? Or am I reading this wrong? Cause the knitting machine record is dirt cheap.

CPL593H posted:

For the amount of 60s vocal records that turn up at Savers I'm shocked that I never see Dusty Springfield or the (60s) Supremes. When I do find girl group and Motown vocal records they're scratched to poo poo.

Usually I see the Dusty Springfield knock off girls. I tried one because the woman had covered Look of Love but I couldn't stand the album and got rid of it. Can't remember the name other than it was French. Yvette, Yvonne, Claudia maybe?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I see 60s Supremes 45s a lot. And they’re always on Motown compilations. Did they put out that many LPs in the 60s? I’ve found 70s Supremes LPs at thrift stores.

Edit: I guess they had plenty in the 60s but several of them are standards/showtunes collections. Those might not have been repressed as often.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 15, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You might be surprised at what turns out to be valuable.

Turbinosamente posted:

Wait you actually saw the husqvarna record someplace? Or am I reading this wrong? Cause the knitting machine record is dirt cheap.

Yes, I think I've run across one or two. I'll def keep my eye open now. LOL

It is a real recording of chainsaws, right?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

You might be surprised at what turns out to be valuable.

Yes, I think I've run across one or two. I'll def keep my eye open now. LOL

It is a real recording of chainsaws, right?

This is the one I know of:

https://www.discogs.com/Husqvarna-Chainsaws-60-1959-2019-Anniversary/release/13895859

And yes it is. The key though is no one has actually sold one. That $600 one has sat there ever since release. Hell if you're willing to keep me in mind next time you see one I pay probably closer to $100-150ish for a nice condition copy. Unless you know of any cheaper chainsaw recordings? drat my weird nostalgia.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to go to car boot sales back in the UK a lot (think yard sales, but everyone drives their crap to a field and you walk around it. We have them here in Florida too sporadically, as 'City Wide Yard Sales' and I'm sure the name changes a lot). Anyway, even in an era where nobody gave a gently caress about vinyl, the second someone would put a box of records out you'd see the same faces jump on it and skim through it to pick out anything worth anything.

Sadly I used to walk to my local one, and someone put out a big stack of Positiva records for like $1/ea and it killed me I could only carry a bunch home rather than buy the lot. Most boxes were the same old 70s crap I had zero interest in, but I had a healthy 80s pop that I was able to fill fairly well at least. Finding anything in the 90s onwards just didn't happen, hence I still remember that stack well.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

For sampling purposes, I've also kept an eye out for anything that uses hand drums, so I've wound up with a lot of Cuban nightclub music from the 60s, real Ricky Ricardo stuff.

Above is pictured, I think, Abbe Brooke, a performer that he played with on numerous occasions and who Ginger from Gilligan's Island was surely modeled after.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

petit choux posted:

For sampling purposes, I've also kept an eye out for anything that uses hand drums, so I've wound up with a lot of Cuban nightclub music from the 60s, real Ricky Ricardo stuff.

Above is pictured, I think, Abbe Brooke, a performer that he played with on numerous occasions and who Ginger from Gilligan's Island was surely modeled after.

As soon as I read the "Cugat" in the title I immediately thought of A Goofy Movie where Goofy tells his son Max that his favorite artist isn't bigger than Xavier Cugat, the Mambo King.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

petit choux posted:

Here's a subgenre for you:

I used to work in a court reporter office and they would have gone wild seeing this.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

graham cracker posted:

Speaking of deals, I found this in a discount bin a store a few months ago for $2 and instinctively bought it based on the cover. It's really good.

Yesssssss I love this album! I highly recommend Prizm by the same artist as well if you can find it. :sax:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

I used to work in a court reporter office and they would have gone wild seeing this.

Yeah me too!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Got a couple Explosions in the Sky records for tenbux a pop due to some extremely minor dents in the spine hell yeah

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I ended up going on Discogs and ordering Black Mass by Lucifer because all of you are a bad influence. I went with a first pressing because it was pretty much the same price as getting a Sacred Bones reissue. Hopefully it's actually a VG+ unlike the copy of Replicas I just got that was said to be a VG+ but has significant surface noise through the entire album.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

I ended up going on Discogs and ordering Black Mass by Lucifer because all of you are a bad influence. I went with a first pressing because it was pretty much the same price as getting a Sacred Bones reissue. Hopefully it's actually a VG+ unlike the copy of Replicas I just got that was said to be a VG+ but has significant surface noise through the entire album.

Haha same, mine was a reissue that had a red splatter. :hfive:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Haha same, mine was a reissue that had a red splatter. :hfive:

I was already interested in it when Sacred Bones was hyping those reissues so seeing it mentioned here made me go look it up on youtube and I decided pretty fast to buy a copy. I'm thinking the record will actually be a good copy because the seller was honest enough to tell me that he noticed a minor scuff in one spot that's barely audible on play back and is already refunding me five bucks.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I was already interested in it when Sacred Bones was hyping those reissues so seeing it mentioned here made me go look it up on youtube and I decided pretty fast to buy a copy. I'm thinking the record will actually be a good copy because the seller was honest enough to tell me that he noticed a minor scuff in one spot that's barely audible on play back and is already refunding me five bucks.

Enjoy the ride that will be your first listen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Enjoy the ride that will be your first listen.

I just hope I don't summon the devil.

In other news I decided to get a copy of Paul Leary's first solo album and it turned out to be significantly cheaper to buy a test pressing from the UK. Welcome to Discogs everybody.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 17, 2021

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CPL593H posted:

two things I've learned buying things off Discogs - 1) the price usually tells the story more than the listed condition, so if you see a "VG+" record going 30% below what it normally would then chances are it's not VG+. 2) don't trust anyone who lists a used record as "NM", particularly one that's several decades old.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the only time I've ever successfully purchased a NM album that was over 25 years old was one that I went and picked up from the seller at their not record store job at a glass cutting warehouse. it was a copy of MJ's 'Bad' for like $60 still in its original plastic packaging with the hype sticker on it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

immediately took my joe buxxs and bought every (and pre-purchased) all PJ Harvey demo albums.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

two things I've learned buying things off Discogs - 1) the price usually tells the story more than the listed condition, so if you see a "VG+" record going 30% below what it normally would then chances are it's not VG+. 2) don't trust anyone who lists a used record as "NM", particularly one that's several decades old.

Near Mint is a straight up myth unless the the record has never even been touched or at least handled gently one time and never played.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

JordanKai posted:

Yesssssss I love this album! I highly recommend Prizm by the same artist as well if you can find it. :sax:

:tipshat: :guitar:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I went to an antique mall today to satisfy that itch since I was driving that way, wound up actually paying a whole 8$ for an album, which is a rarity for me.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

This for 6. I never pay this much usually but this is maybe the best Crusaders album I've ever found.

And because my dad used to get all blue and listen to "The Green, Green Grass of Home," I started buying a couple Porter Waggoner albums. Never saw this before:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

These 3 records appear to be unplayed or nearly so. They may be kind of old too. Spike Jones was rather popular throughout a lot of the US at one time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Am I mistaken or This looks entirely salvageable:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

petit choux posted:

This for 6. I never pay this much usually but this is maybe the best Crusaders album I've ever found.

And because my dad used to get all blue and listen to "The Green, Green Grass of Home," I started buying a couple Porter Waggoner albums. Never saw this before:

This one is in the collection of country albums I got from my grandpa.