Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Part of the problem is that once you get good at the game the lower levels aren't as fun anymore, but the poo poo that challenges you forces you into really specific playstyles / builds with a bunch of grind to even get there, and that's compounded by rough netcode

beyond just skill, there's very steep vertical progression tied to your power level which eventually forces you out of lower difficulties. once your character is max level you physically can't drop your power below 350, and have to actively choose to have less than 650, which means lower difficulties are a trivial snooze. this also means that the game is extremely hostile to mixed-experience groups because the newer players physically can't contribute on high difficulties while it's boring for the veteran players to slog through hours of runs on easy difficulties to get their friends leveled up to the point that they can enjoy the right amount of challenge together.

like many other things, this was the result of a conscious design decision moving in the wrong direction from their previous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rebel Blob posted:

Suprise leak for Streum On Studio's (E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy & Space Hulk: Deathwing) next game: Necromunda: Hired Gun. Taken off the Microsoft Store for the XBox, but given Streum On's previous games I'd hope for a PC release.

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84/status/1372058509525843971

Well, Necromunda's definitely a better fit for them, and the stucture sounds like it'll be closer to EYE. I just hope they make combat more punchy, Deathwing was a big disappointment in that respect compared to Cybermancy. Melee was especially anemic feeling, and largely ineffective.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Deathwatch, or, how to make a ten foot tall half-ton murder machine feel like an extra thin skinned balloon armed with styrofoam blades and hand cannons firing packing peanuts

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

Deathwatch, or, how to make a ten foot tall half-ton murder machine feel like an extra thin skinned balloon armed with styrofoam blades and hand cannons firing packing peanuts
Yeah, exactly like that except not very good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Yeah, exactly like that except not very good

For anyone wondering, we're being kind

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

at least a gun that shoots packing peanuts would be briefly amusing; the game didn't even manage that

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part 2 drops tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWExeP2qWUI

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ahhh, now there's the actual murder machine

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part 2 drops tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWExeP2qWUI

how was the first expansion? are there any marauders in it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sometimes there's two Marauders at the same time!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Let me put it this way: The hyped-up fight against two Marauders at once turned out to be the easiest part.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The Kins posted:

Let me put it this way: The hyped-up fight against two Marauders at once turned out to be the easiest part.

It makes the final mission of Regular Doom Eternal look like a complete loving walk in the park. I Finished the original game on Ultra Violence without changing difficulties, but i had to take it down one notch for the DLC, it barely has room for error

You gotta earn the Doomslayer title on this one, and it's great

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

y'all can keep the fuckin title if it means i don't have to fight 2 marauders at once

Orv
May 4, 2011
Marauders are not that bad. :colbert:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
PROTIP: To defeat the Marauder, shoot at it until it dies.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ciaphas posted:

y'all can keep the fuckin title if it means i don't have to fight 2 marauders at once

It really isn't that bad. The possessed monsters make the Marauder look like a regular enemy

It's been mentioned before, but by it's design, the Marauder is supposed to force your attention, but you the player have to be aware of the rest of the monsters in play. The common mistake is stopping what you are doing to pay attention to his AI, but if you do that, you get swarmed by the regular enemies and that's when the Youtube Reviewers vent.

The Marauder will always come to you to strike, and that's when you pump him full of lead. Just keep playing the way you normally play, he's just one more obstacle when you get used to it

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 18, 2021

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Most recent Warhammer games have been on the 'decent but remarkable' spectrum, so they're doing a lot better than most licensed titles. Every so often you then get something like the Dawn of War series, which is legitimately good.

Don't forget Total Warhammer II, which compared to the historical titles painfully highlights how none of the factions vying for Rome had access to t-rexes, rocket artillery, dragons, on-demand comets or even rat-powered mobile war crimes

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Very good point, yes. It's definitely the most fun Total War game I've ever played.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

maybe I'm wrong as I haven't experienced it but two at once doesn't really sound much more painful than one, it's any quantity existing at all that's the problem because of what they do to the pacing.

looking at steam reviews I don't think this is for me. I'm fine with higher difficulty but all of the new enemy types sound awful to the pacing in the same ways as marauders and archviles.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Marauders aren't really hard or even that complex, but having an enemy that can only be beaten one way in a game with that many weapons kinda sucks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
More people should play Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus. It is pretty good.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm torn between upgrading my PTDE of Dark Souls to the remaster and playing that for the first time in years or else finally buying Scholar of the First Sin and doing a first ever run through Dark Souls 2... any advice for me goons? I have vague memories of people saying that Dark Souls 2 was a vastly inferior game compared to the other ones in the series (which is probably why I have 1 and 3 but not 2 in my Steam library) but now I have a Dark Souls itch and I'm not sure which game would be better bang for my buck since they cost roughly the same amount...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's divisive for certain, but there are also a lot of people here who consider Dark Souls 2 their favourite game of the series, so there's really no easy answer to that. I guess you could take some time look up some of the more common criticisms of the game first and see how many them sound like something that you'd probably feel bothered by yourself?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Yeah in hindsight it's not a great question I guess. Maybe I'll just buy them both haha
I can always refund in the worst case.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

You ever tried to get the high score in the barrel game in DRG? Welcome to Expert Mode
https://i.gyazo.com/16a62c2244fb62230e1317668611331f.mp4

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, if it helps any, even as someone who dislikes the game I'd rather buy Dark Souls 2 than the remaster, because I just don't really think it adds enough to the game to make it worth replaying if you've already played it to death. For all its flaws, Dark Souls 2 is at least a fresh experience and still better than your average game, even if I would agree that it is the worst Souls game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sunken fleet posted:

I'm torn between upgrading my PTDE of Dark Souls to the remaster and playing that for the first time in years or else finally buying Scholar of the First Sin and doing a first ever run through Dark Souls 2... any advice for me goons? I have vague memories of people saying that Dark Souls 2 was a vastly inferior game compared to the other ones in the series (which is probably why I have 1 and 3 but not 2 in my Steam library) but now I have a Dark Souls itch and I'm not sure which game would be better bang for my buck since they cost roughly the same amount...

As one of the Right Souls Thinkers my vote is Scholar but to be unbiased about it the Remaster of 1 is completely fine at worst and 2 is divisive for some fair and some stupid reasons. Ultimately I'd recommend a new Souls experience before replaying one even if you end up not liking 2 all that much.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'd say play Dark Souls 2, but I'm torn on which version to suggest. Scholar is an improvement in most regards and had the DLC baked in... but the new enemy placements are some haphazard, absolute clown car nonsense. The original version of 2 also has that to some degree (*coughNoMan'sWharfcough*) but Scholar just goes so completely overboard with it at times. Some places like the Dragon Shine and oh my loving god the Iron Keep are just actively awful in Scholar.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I couldn't remember the names of any Bethesda characters except for Alduin.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Can you even buy the non-Scholar version of DS2 anymore? Steam still has a separate store page for it, but the only thing that you can buy there is the season pass and the DLC, not the game itself.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

sunken fleet posted:

Yeah in hindsight it's not a great question I guess. Maybe I'll just buy them both haha
I can always refund in the worst case.
Get both the Remaster of 1 and Scholar of 2. They're both very good games and if they go on sale for like 50%+ you can get them both (150hrs) for the price of a single night out.

Both are 20% off on Humble right now (might be factoring in my monthly discount):
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dark-souls-remastered
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dark-souls-ii-scholar-of-the-first-sin

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 18, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Can you even buy the non-Scholar version of DS2 anymore? Steam still has a separate store page for it, but the only thing that you can buy there is the season pass and the DLC, not the game itself.

Looks like it's still there if you buy it in a bundle with the DLC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anyone know if the Gamepass PC version of Nier Automata fixes the problems the original port had with not being able to change the resolution to your monitor's native display and/or all cutscenes running at 25fps?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Does anyone know if the Gamepass PC version of Nier Automata fixes the problems the original port had with not being able to change the resolution to your monitor's native display and/or all cutscenes running at 25fps?

Play the game pass version apparently. I might have to play this again. One of the best games ever.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1372468544965857280

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

lmao that we finally get the PC patch for Nier Automata that we needed and it's exclusive to another launcher and all current Steam version owners get hosed

good stuff from Square Enix

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Doing some reading it's apparently locked at 60 fps. You also might want to turn anti aliasing off. I guess it's the xbox one become as gods version so it has the dlc all included too.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The PC version on Game Pass also has no achievements. What a strange series of choices on SE's part.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the input guys, I've decided to go ahead and buy both.
Second question, should I be wary of these key reselling websites? Cause Scholar of the first sin is 40$ on Steam but like 12$ on G2A... are key re-sellers bad or illegal? I'm a bit wary since it's so much cheaper.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It depends on the reseller. Like, sketchy Russian ones are probably a bad idea to give your money to, but resellers like the Humble Store, Fanatical, Green Man Gaming etc. are legitimate and often offer very good deals on games. Check out the websites IsThereAnyDeal or Cheapshark for good deals on specific games, they only list legit and trustworthy resellers as far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are legit third party key sites, the things listed on isthereanydeal.com are all legitimate ones and not grey market. Grey market sites, ones not listed on isthereanydeal, are not necessarily always selling keys bought with stolen credit cards or something like that, but the chances are good they are and your key might get revoked. The devs also see nothing from those sites. Recommended to avoid those ones.