Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have the passive that makes your attack affect all from Berserker, the one that makes your AOE attacks stronger from Dragoon, and the dual handed one from Swordmaster

Every random battle is now Swordmaster Attack Stance > Attack everything 6 times in a row and it’s very good so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have the passive that makes your attack affect all from Berserker, the one that makes your AOE attacks stronger from Dragoon, and the dual handed one from Swordmaster

Every random battle is now Swordmaster Attack Stance > Attack everything 6 times in a row and it’s very good so far
Yup this was my trash clearing method of choice for most of the game. Some bonus points:

Counter savvy to avoid counters, mug and thief skills to steal everything or beast master capture if that's your jam. If you just want to slay then grab the obvious passives from BM.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
The 100% accuracy but take backlash damage Berserker passive is also really, really good with Last Resort.

Last Resort increases your physical and magical attack based on the percentage of HP you've lost. Being at 50% HP means you get 50% more attack. It stacks additively with stuff like Bare-knuckle Brawler, so being at 1 HP would be +~179.99% physical attack.

Which gets... even more ludicrous with Death's Door. I have no idea how it scales but it's very effectively! I was able to hit 80k damage very, very easily. It's supposed to be balanced by its massive MP cost but it's a Berserker skill, which means that you almost have to actively be ignoring Free-for-all.

It's just... really absurd.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Yup this was my trash clearing method of choice for most of the game. Some bonus points:

Counter savvy to avoid counters, mug and thief skills to steal everything or beast master capture if that's your jam. If you just want to slay then grab the obvious passives from BM.

Yeah I figured I could make it even better but I have either one or both JP up passives on my characters. I especially like the idea of the Beastmaster capture one though, Seth is soloing the entire dungeon might as well get some monsters out of it

Now that I've finished Chapter 3 the jobs in here are really obvious "next steps" for a bunch of the starting ones - it's really clear that your magic attacker should take one of these and your healer should take the other, plus the general attacking one just seems good all around.

I am losing my way a bit with Adelle though - She's been sub Monk all game and leveling different jobs while she spams free Pressure Points with barehanded but it feels like barehanded isn't catching up as well as it should anymore? Some strong combos that I already maxed out

I gave her Pictomancer's skill for reducing BP costs so /Monk gives free pressure points which are currently awesome
Thief/Monk is pretty crazy
Beastmaster/Monk is actually just busted, the passive 2 bonus makes punching hit so hard and Beastmaster just does everything well
I think Dragoon/Monk could be ok

I think it's time to just give her the 2 handed skill and start using weapons? Or can you stay barehanded all game

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was going barehanded then I noticed weapons made number go up higher so hey free attribute open too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh man the chapter 4 fights are starting to get hard. Might be because the tanky guy counters for 2000 every single time I hit him

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I did not realize until now that Freelancer's JP Up abilities also affect JP Orbs.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As long as you didn't use several gigantic JP orbs before realizing it you're okay. Only an absolute fool would do something like that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress.

Relatedly, are there any other JP grinding spots besides the Prologue beach in Chapter 2? Or is that still the best option?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress.

Relatedly, are there any other JP grinding spots besides the Prologue beach in Chapter 2? Or is that still the best option?

The rare enemy to the north by the waterfall in the prologue area is good too and more xp but the beach just seems to be the fastest. Later chapters don't give much more jp (xp is much higher though) so if you're just farming jp it's the go-to spot for sure.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress.

There is a fight that you can trigger when opening a chest in one of the ice themed dungeons that has two of the metal slime-esque enemies that take almost no damage and run away quickly. You can steal JP orbs from them as a way to level a few jobs here and there (this is great for Gambler by the way). You basically equip the beastmaster passive to go first on all 4 characters, get 3 of them to steal, and have the 4th steal and then flee (thief skill for 100% success rate). You can open the chest as many times as you want that way.

As always in these games though, the later you get into the game, the easier it is to level jobs, culminating in some final difficult fights that reward giant JP spheres, large amounts of JP, as well as some powerful treasures that will have you fighting them multiple times anyway. I mastered the vast majority of the jobs at the end of the game as a result.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Kyrosiris posted:

Use the Berserker passive that makes physical attacks always hit but do backlash damage. It can't kill you, and you're using a cover tank anyways, so...

This did it, thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good to know. I’ll keep an eye out for the chest and use the beach in the meantime.

Also, my review of Godspeed Strike is as such: clearly an endgame skill that’s only so powerful because you are intended(?) to unlock it late. Hence the MP cost. I’m not convinced that the game is designed around mastering jobs as soon as you get them, I think it’s all an accident.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pollyanna posted:

Good to know. I’ll keep an eye out for the chest and use the beach in the meantime.

Also, my review of Godspeed Strike is as such: clearly an endgame skill that’s only so powerful because you are intended(?) to unlock it late. Hence the MP cost. I’m not convinced that the game is designed around mastering jobs as soon as you get them, I think it’s all an accident.

Godspeed Strike strikes me (no pun intended) as something you’re meant to go all in on. Unfortunately it’s pretty easy to go all in on

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Does anybody know what's up with Victory Double, specifically when used by Sir Sloan in the Black Mage/Bravebearer/Bastion uncap fight? It seems to do 9999 damage twice, except when it doesn't (I think I saw it go for 8888 once?) which is, of course, enough to turn even a 19998 HP Seth into soft, gooey paste.

I thought to use Auto Guard to reduce the damage, and it worked once I'm pretty sure and then... it didn't. I don't know why it wouldn't work the second time, though...?? Wall of Woe was in effect but Sean had 2 BP still.

I was able to beat the fight once, but I want the Bravebearer weapon so it would be nice to have a strategy that isn't just, like... "wait for Contagion to sap away all of his MP each and every time".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

LiefKatano posted:

Does anybody know what's up with Victory Double, specifically when used by Sir Sloan in the Black Mage/Bravebearer/Bastion uncap fight? It seems to do 9999 damage twice, except when it doesn't (I think I saw it go for 8888 once?) which is, of course, enough to turn even a 19998 HP Seth into soft, gooey paste.

I thought to use Auto Guard to reduce the damage, and it worked once I'm pretty sure and then... it didn't. I don't know why it wouldn't work the second time, though...?? Wall of Woe was in effect but Sean had 2 BP still.

I was able to beat the fight once, but I want the Bravebearer weapon so it would be nice to have a strategy that isn't just, like... "wait for Contagion to sap away all of his MP each and every time".

It does fixed damage. Deal with it.

Specifically, when you have it it deals damage equal to the number of battles you've won. So when the boss has it it's just set to an arbitrary number.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

So just sleeplock him, got it.

God I wouldn't be against it if it was, like, interesting at all, but... it's not! It's just make sure Sloan's asleep or die horribly!

I guess it's on me for wanting to get the fancy, absolutely-not-needed-for-anything sword, but... jesus!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I dealt with it by just having Reraise on everyone. v:shobon:v My team was fast enough to get Gloria back up after it went off, and Elvis could just full-team Reraise and double Curaga her.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Full team Reraise did help out a ton, thanks.

Or at least it made things interesting while feeling doable.

...Though apparently Sloan can dispel buffs with his Microgravity move which... come on, dude. Really?!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LiefKatano posted:

Full team Reraise did help out a ton, thanks.

Or at least it made things interesting while feeling doable.

...Though apparently Sloan can dispel buffs with his Microgravity move which... come on, dude. Really?!

Yeah, that was the one that made me give up and unleash the final form of Adelle in the form of Godspeed Strike spam.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Finished this, I had a pretty good time. I think there's lots of builds even if godspeed is so easily accessible and magic kind of stinks. I don't really mind the counter stuff with the counter savvy skill in the game. I actually really liked that the bosses braved more often now.

Wish there was more to do in the end once you have the final weapons, oh well. Don't think I like the game enough to do any gimmicky re-runs, it ramps up a bit too slow and all the fun stuff is later on.

I think people oversold how bad weight is. There's so many ways to mitigate it eventually, and some gear seemed worth it for their extra stats or effects. The one time I was annoyed with turns was trying to track buffs. Nothing really made sense how long a buff lasted. I stopped buffing well before the midpoint of the game. Thankfully there's one job that really suits a non-buffing playstyle so I never felt like I was put out in the cold in the least.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 18, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The issue with buffs as I understand it is that they no longer refresh their duration on recast. When you cast it more than once they will stack additively, but each cast has its own separate timer, so it's impossible to keep a giant stack of buffs rolling like before. The only way to get high buff numbers is to brave and cast all of them at once, and only for a short time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Midway through Chapter 4 and the fights are actually really tough! Even though I did some JP grinding I am taking off JP Up and tweaking my teams and realizing I need to go get some more passives - the avoid counters one is way too useful to not have on every attacker

I just beat phantom using 2 bastions

And did not realize that the second class I mentioned is both good at healing and tanking. They have higher restorative power than a white mage, can use staves, and yet my other one was doing more damage with their spear to the boss than my dedicated physical attacker

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pollyanna posted:

I've been using the snake miniboss you access through the waterway in the desert city, since you can just back into the dungeon and come out again and it'll have respawned. It's about 300 JP a fight before JP Up. But it helps to be at a point where you can one-shot it with, say, Godspeed Strike spam. As an additional bonus, this gets you a shitload of Defenders.

I'm tackling the Halls of Tribulation and, boy, I would not be having any chance of dealing with any of this poo poo without constant all-party Reraise spam, so White Mage + Spiritmaster is pretty much required at this stage.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 18, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

The rare enemy to the north by the waterfall in the prologue area is good too and more xp but the beach just seems to be the fastest. Later chapters don't give much more jp (xp is much higher though) so if you're just farming jp it's the go-to spot for sure.

it takes 3-4 battles to max a job by grinding baba yaga with both jp up abilities.

and you can do so easily with any job

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where is baba yaga

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Where is baba yaga

North of bigger ice city along the shoreline. If you nullify charm and lighting you can sleepwalk through it which is why it's good

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So unshakeable will and two thunder medallions would do the trick?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hammer Bro. posted:

I was going barehanded then I noticed weapons made number go up higher so hey free attribute open too.

If you combine Bare-Knuckle Brawler with armor/accessories that boost your attack you'll pretty much always do more damage than a weapon, with the bonus of no enemy ever resisting the damage. No weakness bonuses, though. I haven't given Adelle a weapon in ages and she's consistently out-damaged everybody else.

I'm in Chapter 5 doing side quests and even though I've played BnD with everybody I've found it seems like I'm still missing a bunch of cards? Does it tell you how many total you have? The only person who I have trouble beating is the stupid Rank S kid in Wiswald. gently caress you, kid. I ended up making a third deck for when my opponent goes first that doesn't involve the Red Mage Brave card just in case they can use the Shieldmaster Default card, which can screw you really badly.

The only other Rank S person I found was Dromed so maybe I haven't found all the card players yet?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Clarste posted:

The issue with buffs as I understand it is that they no longer refresh their duration on recast. When you cast it more than once they will stack additively, but each cast has its own separate timer, so it's impossible to keep a giant stack of buffs rolling like before. The only way to get high buff numbers is to brave and cast all of them at once, and only for a short time.
Yeah this is part of it, with no way to tell what a turn really is you are constantly checking the status screen to see which instances of buffs and debuffs are really up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you combine Bare-Knuckle Brawler with armor/accessories that boost your attack you'll pretty much always do more damage than a weapon, with the bonus of no enemy ever resisting the damage. No weakness bonuses, though. I haven't given Adelle a weapon in ages and she's consistently out-damaged everybody else.

This was what I did for several characters and the only time a weapon use had significantly higher damage output was when I put the rare drop/steal 171atk bow from the rare enemy demon on Seth as a ranger in chapter 3, and I still needed to use a pair of -weight accessories to be able to use it and some +atk head/body armor. It *was* pretty drat strong as one would expect.

I know people dislike the weight system but with how stealing from rare enemies and fleeing is a thing, if weight didn't exist you'd have groups running around in super powerful gear pretty much immediately once you got a magpie on a couple of characters. Ideally Seth/Gloria due to having access to their special attacks at that point.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This was what I did for several characters and the only time a weapon use had significantly higher damage output was when I put the rare drop/steal 171atk bow from the rare enemy demon on Seth as a ranger in chapter 3, and I still needed to use a pair of -weight accessories to be able to use it and some +atk head/body armor. It *was* pretty drat strong as one would expect.

I know people dislike the weight system but with how stealing from rare enemies and fleeing is a thing, if weight didn't exist you'd have groups running around in super powerful gear pretty much immediately once you got a magpie on a couple of characters. Ideally Seth/Gloria due to having access to their special attacks at that point.

I don't think the ability to steal super powerful drops from world bosses is an argument in favour of the weight system existing rather than the ability to steal super powerful drops from world bosses to not be a thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Or, alternatively, stealing super powerful equipment from world bosses is cool and good and you should be able to use it because getting powerful rules and owns.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Characters can use the heavy weapons but only if they’re naked, fair trade IMO

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I'm in Chapter 5 doing side quests and even though I've played BnD with everybody I've found it seems like I'm still missing a bunch of cards? Does it tell you how many total you have? The only person who I have trouble beating is the stupid Rank S kid in Wiswald. gently caress you, kid. I ended up making a third deck for when my opponent goes first that doesn't involve the Red Mage Brave card just in case they can use the Shieldmaster Default card, which can screw you really badly.

The only other Rank S person I found was Dromed so maybe I haven't found all the card players yet?
Several of those are locked behind plot or side quests. And several side quests are locked behind plot too so it's a double whammy.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Characters can use the heavy weapons but only if they’re naked, fair trade IMO

That thing was too big to be called a sword.
Too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough, it was more like a large hunk of iron.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I... may have captured a lot of monsters.
(spoilered for jobs in later chapters)

I've been trying to max out all the classes as I go through incidental battles just to keep things interesting, but I decided to see how this setup with Thief subclass would work against one of the Chapter 5 bosses.
It didn't make it past two characters doing 4x Godspeed Strikes.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

i got godspeed strike and it kinda broke the game balance and i havent played since, its making everything trivial

same friend. i'm nearing the end of chapter 3 and wiping the floor with everyone. beastmaster main with thief sub... bare knuckle brawler, beast whisperer, raw power, indiscriminate rage, and counter-savvy destroys trash mobs and i pretty much never have to re-spec because godspeed strike deletes bosses in the first few turns. i assume the end game will be different but for now it's so boring. only fun thing was when spirit master basically said "wait till you see my true power" and then died immediately from godspeed strike's delayed hit.

edit: i'm not a fan of how BnD potentially spoils things for you. like prince castor being a berserker in that one card, you can see the card before getting to that plot point

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 18, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

Or, alternatively, stealing super powerful equipment from world bosses is cool and good and you should be able to use it because getting powerful rules and owns.

Getting super powerful really early is fine conceptually, you should absolutely be able to do it and that's part of what some people find fun in an RPG.

But if the ostensible goal of the weight system is to prevent that, then you could just not have a weight system and pace your item drops instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Natural 20 posted:

Getting super powerful really early is fine conceptually, you should absolutely be able to do it and that's part of what some people find fun in an RPG.

But if the ostensible goal of the weight system is to prevent that, then you could just not have a weight system and pace your item drops instead.

The weight system isn't there to prevent you from doing that, it's to allow you to get cool poo poo early on without completely breaking the game's pace by having you make tradeoffs to use this shiny gear.

"Just pace the item drops" means progression/power curve closer to linear which by this point has been thoroughly explored and mined by the genre.