Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Augus posted:

Beavis nutz

walked right into that one :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hey, that's fair. I've grown self-aware enough that I'm kind of done derailing the topic discussing his films and plot points. Folks just have different tastes and that's cool. They like what they like and dislike what doesn't work for them. Just wanted to speak up because I really just don't like the whole Objectivist thing. Since Justice League is coming out tomorrow folks have been going through reviews for the Whedon version and some of it is some of the most hacknied writing imaginable. The ones that go on to talk about Snyder and Whedon aged like spoiled milk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jimbot posted:

Hey, that's fair. I've grown self-aware enough that I'm kind of done derailing the topic discussing his films and plot points. Folks just have different tastes and that's cool. They like what they like and dislike what doesn't work for them. Just wanted to speak up because I really just don't like the whole Objectivist thing. Since Justice League is coming out tomorrow folks have been going through reviews for the Whedon version and some of it is some of the most hacknied writing imaginable. The ones that go on to talk about Snyder and Whedon aged like spoiled milk.

its cool. i have no issue with the movies. i like parts of them. i am just a sucker for animated series ideal of superman or reeves superman. the ultimate boyscout/secular jesus type who is just a genuinely good person but not naïve but also has a quippy/clever side. plus when they break bad. its more interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0e6MCq3DbQ

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Liking The Fountainhead isn't a sign that someone is an objectivist. It's merely a sign that they have bad taste sometimes.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I've only watched Man of Steel so far but its politics and themes were pretty left wing I thought. You had:

A rich ruling class destroy a planet through careless and greedy environmental policies

An antagonist whos a fascist that wants to "preserve" his culture and people through genocide

A heroic protagonist that protects a waitress from sexual harassment (seriously if MoS came out today, youd be hearing idiots crying that they made superman a "woke sjw beta" or something)

Also, the protagonist decides to destroy the only thing that has any chance of bringing his civilization back to life in order to stop the villain and save the current world he lives in. The message being that it's wrong to destroy a society in hopes of rebuilding a dead failed one that you have a sanitized view of. You know, like how modern fascists want to kill or suppress LGBT people in order to bring back the "good old days" of the 1950s or whatever. Its explicitly anti fascist imo

The whole "Snyder and anyone who likes him is a chud" thing just seems like a mix of your usual movie bob/macintosh style "consuming is activism" mixed in with a "Martin Scorsese ' movies glorify gangsters!" style misunderstanding of the text imo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"Zack Snyder: She didn’t even like Reagan! She thought he was a nationalist."

lol

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Speaking of which, just saw this on Twitter. He called out Geeks and Gamers ( a comics gate chud rear end in a top hat) and the chuds are very mad lol

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1372383386552111104

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1372388672558014465

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
or from the fact that he made an adaptation of a super fashy book like 300 and poo poo like 'superman saves someone being harassed' means nothing at all. Like, no not 'anyone who likes him is a chud' but him not loving with the existing superman backstory doesn't make him some secret leftist.

Also in that movie Superman's whole final arc is learning that being a hero means making hard choices like killing people because what if they're SO evil they MAKE you do it then what huh??? and poo poo like him busting up the military drone all 'ha ha silly mortals don't you know it's not your place to watch ME, I am your superior being just trust me' done as a cute stinger ending.

To be fair I don't think he's actually 'fascist' I just think he's a moron who's never had to think about things deeper than what looks cool on the screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here’s a line from Whedons justice league after the flash awkwardly tries to fist bump cyborg.

(Black screen due to HBO Max weird screen cap rules)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Yeah I’m not crying over a loving military drone being destroyed

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jamie Faith posted:

Speaking of which, just saw this on Twitter. He called out Geeks and Gamers ( a comics gate chud rear end in a top hat) and the chuds are very mad lol

This is sublime. Imagine learning that Zack Snyder, your hero, has learned who you are specifically because you are such a gigantic piece of poo poo that he noticed.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Less Snyder Chat and more giant beyblades powered by chainsaws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrZuUiSXEI

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Okay, I haven't heard of Geeks + Gamers before, but I'm gonna assume that they're some transphobic Gamergate group

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

Okay, I haven't heard of Geeks + Gamers before, but I'm gonna assume that they're some transphobic Gamergate group

You might recognize them from their famous guest appearance

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

Less Snyder Chat and more giant beyblades powered by chainsaws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrZuUiSXEI

let's rip

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Snyder has bad taste when he likes The Fountainhead but has good taste when likes Excalibur. Truly a land of contrasts.

But seriously Excalibur owns.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I am very glad he is dropping The Fountainhead film, and I hope he never picks it up again, there's no positive angle on making The Fountainhead imo. Him doing King Arthur is a way better idea.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Give him a Star War.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Give him a Star War.

Give everyone a Star War.

Just keep filming new versions of The Rise of Skywalker with a different writer/director at the helm each time. I can't wait for David Lynch's take on it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Liking Atlas Shrugged definitely makes you an objectivist right? And like, the worst taste.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lynch has already filmed The Rise of Skymouse

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Liking Atlas Shrugged definitely makes you an objectivist right? And like, the worst taste.

But it's such a great fantasy book! The hero makes a machine that creates infinite energy out of like a car engine, 11 pounds of copper and a coat hanger or something right? And also I think there was a bit about an invisibility field too?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

iirc Zack Snyder likes Atlas Shrugged in the same sense that goons like copy/pasting the beginning of john galt’s speech at random. he think’s it’s funny.

discussions about Snyder’s personal politics are so boring, he’s just a Hollywood liberal

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Not sure he likes Atlas Shrugged.

Snyder liking The Fountainhead makes a lot more sense given it's about an artist whose works are modified without their consent.

Part of the problem is that the story has some other issues with consent.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not sure he likes Atlas Shrugged.

Snyder liking The Fountainhead makes a lot more sense given it's about an artist whose works are modified without their consent.

Part of the problem is that the story has some other issues with consent.

Yeah, but liking a text which depicts something doesn't necessarily imply endorsement of - I like Pulp Fiction, but it doesn't mean I'm a big fan of tying up and buttfucking men against their will in my basement.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Shinji2015 posted:

Oh it's a hateful shithole. I always wondered if it was intended to be like a ripoff of Geek & Sundry.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

stillvisions posted:

Give everyone a Star War.

Just keep filming new versions of The Rise of Skywalker with a different writer/director at the helm each time. I can't wait for David Lynch's take on it.

I would get a tent in line to the movies if Taika Waititi did his own take on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, but liking a text which depicts something doesn't necessarily imply endorsement of - I like Pulp Fiction, but it doesn't mean I'm a big fan of tying up and buttfucking men against their will in my basement.

I'm not saying Snyder is a fan of those bits, I'm saying it's a lovely book partly because it has those bits in it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'd tie Ving Rhames up in my basement, only consensually though.

Also at least Rand's terrible idiot ideology gave us Rapture, Bioshock's still cool outside of the goofballs things that Infinite tries to run with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbqh it really seems like he just wants to make a movie about a bunch of crazy people fighting over architecture and loving a lot. I don’t think he’s that deep of a guy

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

I've only watched Man of Steel so far but its politics and themes were pretty left wing I thought. You had:

A rich ruling class destroy a planet through careless and greedy environmental policies

An antagonist whos a fascist that wants to "preserve" his culture and people through genocide

A heroic protagonist that protects a waitress from sexual harassment (seriously if MoS came out today, youd be hearing idiots crying that they made superman a "woke sjw beta" or something)

Also, the protagonist decides to destroy the only thing that has any chance of bringing his civilization back to life in order to stop the villain and save the current world he lives in. The message being that it's wrong to destroy a society in hopes of rebuilding a dead failed one that you have a sanitized view of. You know, like how modern fascists want to kill or suppress LGBT people in order to bring back the "good old days" of the 1950s or whatever. Its explicitly anti fascist imo

The whole "Snyder and anyone who likes him is a chud" thing just seems like a mix of your usual movie bob/macintosh style "consuming is activism" mixed in with a "Martin Scorsese ' movies glorify gangsters!" style misunderstanding of the text imo

It might surprise you to learn that some people were very mad about Superman destroying that guys truck. "He ruined his livelihood, it was disproportional response, it was super petty! Not my superman!" etc etc.

One thing I appreciated in the film is that Clark is coded as an illegal immigrant, being ostracized for being different and not fitting in.

I really like the subtle criticism of the military in MoS. Individually they're all portrayed as good people, but as an organisation or a system they're at best insufficient at defending their own citizens and at worst they're actually destructive to their own people. In the Metropolis fight their own fighters and missiles are smashing in to the people they're trying to protect. To tie it back in to the original derail, here's a post from Hbomb!

Hbomberguy posted:

You are misinterpreting what I wrote. The military does a fine job - but their job is wrong. They arrest Superman as though he's some kind of criminal simply for existing, and they try to keep tabs on him when he clearly doesn't want anything to do with them - even though the film portrays the individuals in it as good people.

Key film image: When the fine, upstanding military fires their missiles at the World Machine - but the machine's changes to gravity cause them to rain down on innocent citizens instead. This is a visual metaphor for a system failing to serve its intended purpose, much like an oil rig catching fire and exploding or an entire planet getting blown up. Those missiles were perfectly forthright and competent missiles, probably built by upstanding men and women in a finely-tuned, properly patriotic factory, and they exploded and killed innocent people in a satisfactory manner, but the problem is they were not a method of fighting the machine that is destroying the world, because that machine encompasses them. A stupid person would say 'so what, the military's evil because it doesn't have the right kind of missiles?' gently caress no, of course not. It's making a statement. Bear in mind that hack writer could've just made the machine simply immune to human weaponry, which would have very different connotations from it warping our weapons against our own people.

Also I disagree about Zod. Zod's 'gang' follow his orders and work with him perfectly. They are like our military - doing what they are told to do. They are startlingly efficient at their jobs and willing to die for it 'a good death is it's own reward', etc. Remember when the military guy literally parrots that back at her? Do you see what the film might be saying about both respective militaries?

You should absolutely watch Beavis next (that's BvS), Jamie. I'm curious to see if you think the left wing politics hold in the sequel too

sexpig by night posted:

or from the fact that he made an adaptation of a super fashy book like 300 and poo poo like 'superman saves someone being harassed' means nothing at all. Like, no not 'anyone who likes him is a chud' but him not loving with the existing superman backstory doesn't make him some secret leftist.

Also in that movie Superman's whole final arc is learning that being a hero means making hard choices like killing people because what if they're SO evil they MAKE you do it then what huh??? and poo poo like him busting up the military drone all 'ha ha silly mortals don't you know it's not your place to watch ME, I am your superior being just trust me' done as a cute stinger ending.

To be fair I don't think he's actually 'fascist' I just think he's a moron who's never had to think about things deeper than what looks cool on the screen.

Superman breaks an expensive spy drone and tells them off for spying on american citizens and maybe they should learn to trust them more and your take is that he's screaming at the military about being superior. Ok.

Hot take: Superman scaring the military and destroying their expensive toys is a good thing

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

lmaoo this owns

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

Also in that movie Superman's whole final arc is learning that being a hero means making hard choices like killing people because what if they're SO evil they MAKE you do it then what huh???

By people, you mean the genocidal fascist who was right about to vaporize a family, right? Killing fash who are literally right in the middle of doing a genocide is good actually :)

sexpig by night posted:

and poo poo like him busting up the military drone all 'ha ha silly mortals don't you know it's not your place to watch ME, I am your superior being just trust me' done as a cute stinger ending..

McCloud already said what I was going to say:

McCloud posted:

Superman breaks an expensive spy drone and tells them off for spying on american citizens and maybe they should learn to trust them more and your take is that he's screaming at the military about being superior. Ok.

Hot take: Superman scaring the military and destroying their expensive toys is a good thing

:yeah:

McCloud posted:

It might surprise you to learn that some people were very mad about Superman destroying that guys truck. "He ruined his livelihood, it was disproportional response, it was super petty! Not my superman!" etc etc.

lmao

McCloud posted:

You should absolutely watch Beavis next (that's BvS), Jamie. I'm curious to see if you think the left wing politics hold in the sequel too

I'll probably watch it later tonight! I'm looking forward to it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Jamie Faith posted:

Geeks + Gamers already made a 3 hour response to this lmao

Big Loser Energy

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New video by Thor on overlooked GBA and weird GBA games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpOiuJkJTz8

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah I'd never heard of them so I had a look at their YouTube channel and it just seems like an outrage generator channel. Probably less than one in twenty videos are actually about a game or geek film or something like that. Otherwise it's all "SJWs are ruining the world!" bollocks. People say those type only have one joke about gender, they also seem to have only one picture of an "SJW", a person screaming, that channel uses it everywhere.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I saw Man of Steel in theaters, was interested at first, and realized it wasn't working for me when it kept cutting to that one Daily Planet woman during the climax. I realized I'd learned nothing about her and had no reason to care about her specifically more than anyone else in mortal peril during the destruction of Metropolis.

McCloud posted:

The worst thing I heard about the truck scene was from Dan Olson, who was annoyed that nobody in the bar heard Superman ramming multiple logs through it. Wait, no, he did say it was petty and childish for Superman to take the guy's abuse and wreck the truck behind his back instead of, I dunno, nonlethally tossing the guy out like a normal bouncer would do?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I enjoyed Man of Steel mostly cause the action scenes felt really good. Like everything had a certain weight and there were small details that I really appreciated in the fights, like characters having certain differences in fighting styles and such. At times it felt like the action was a lot better realized than Marvel movies at the time, visually at least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Jesus, Ryan Kinel looked like he got slapped across the loving face the second he put 2+2 together and realized his kino icon just demolished his chud buddy icon. It’s literally the Simpsons Ralph Wiggum “you can see the exact moment where his heart rips in two” thing.

I’m starting to reconsider my take on Snyder as a person. That was cathartic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1372423150814826497

Glorious cope