Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

maybe we can talk about finally closing down the concentration camps after there aren't any loving fascists running for Congress anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Nothus posted:

I don't remember did Obama immediately forget about his pledge to close Gitmo or did he string it along for a year or two before quietly dropping it.

republicans "blocked it" and it never came up again. how does congress block the commander in chief of the military from closing a base? :iiam:

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Did you really want the military taking orders from someone muslim as all hell????

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Salean posted:

Did you really want the military taking orders from someone muslim as all hell????

lol I hadn't thought of this in a while

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

sexpig by night posted:

Joe Biden will be in his fourth year, campaigning for reelection with the slogan 'just give us another couple years to work on that'

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm starting to suspect these people don't actually care about kids in cages, police abuse, or even covid deaths but maybe I am being too cynical???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eggplant Squire posted:

I'm starting to suspect these people don't actually care about kids in cages, police abuse, or even covid deaths but maybe I am being too cynical???

listen here, kiddo...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nothus posted:

I don't remember did Obama immediately forget about his pledge to close Gitmo or did he string it along for a year or two before quietly dropping it.

it went on for a little bit, there was an illinois republican state rep (former fbi) screaming in 2010 that he wanted all the gitmo prisoners transferred to an empty federal prison in his district (wisconsin/iowa border) because it would bring a ton of good paying jobs in. he also joked around a lot that if any of them escaped he was sure his constituents could handle it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nothus posted:

it was definitely dragged out, to the extent that there was a national conversation on which states would be willing to accept Gitmo inmates (read: terrorists) on their soil (answer: none)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Eggplant Squire posted:

Get ready for a lot of middle class whites saying "I supported black lives matter but this time they're going too far" in a couple of months.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nothus posted:

He did that thing were he pretended his hands were tied by congress when he could have just sent them to a completely empty Illinois supermax at any moment

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nothus posted:

Obama really wanted to, but theres only so much the head of the executive and military by law and leader on foreign relations by custom can do to close a military prison on foreign soil. The president's hands were tied. What was he going to do, just release the people he was holding on foreign territory specifically to deny them any rights under the American legal system so they could be tortured for worthless intel? No, sadly Gitmo had to stay open. There just wasnt any other solution.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I had a dream everyone was holed up waiting for a boogaloo boys uprising and all my family and most of the continent was killed and my thoughts were, I hope my therapist survives so I can deal with this new trauma, and I wonder who from cspam survived

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nothus posted:

and everyone who claimed that closing Gitmo was important voted for Obama in 2012. Even gave money and time to his campaign.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nothus posted:

Get ready for a lot of middle class whites saying "I supported black lives matter so I have the authority to say this time they're going too far" in a couple of months.

Fixed for the even more rage inducing future

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Reality Protester posted:

republicans "blocked it" and it never came up again. how does congress block the commander in chief of the military from closing a base? :iiam:

Congress supposedly had the power to stop him from bringing the prisoners to america and no one else would take them. At this point guantanamo will probably never close

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1372244321903185923

so the capital riot...improved the country?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

close the base, leave the prisoners in Cuba

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Obomba could have just ordered trials of everyone in gitmo and either released them afterwards (if found innocent, or for time served), or sent them to a regular prison in America to finish serving their sentence.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I had a dream everyone was holed up waiting for a boogaloo boys uprising and all my family and most of the continent was killed and my thoughts were, I hope my therapist survives so I can deal with this new trauma, and I wonder who from cspam survived

it's me, the poster of your dreams

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was definitely dragged out, to the extent that there was a national conversation on which states would be willing to accept Gitmo inmates (read: terrorists) on their soil (answer: none)

yeah we have a federal penitentiary in my state (Leavenworth), which housed the head of the aryan brotherhood, and our state government said it was "too dangerous" to house Gitmo inmates

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what if... the US turned the whole island into a prison????

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
surprised nobody has put in some embargo language about gitmo to see if it would fly under the radar

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
all of the people who are at gitmo are omega level threats whose very existence will mastermind the fall of nations.

so they should be released into Cuba

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yeah the idea of "you can't close Gitmo because the prisoners have nowhere to go" has to assume that literally just shoving them out the gates and leaving them in whatever limbo there exists outside the walls and outside of Cuban custody is somehow worse than keeping them in Gitmo until they die of old age

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Congrats the Rush Limbaugh on his one month of sobriety!

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Nothus posted:

Get ready for a lot of middle class whites saying "I supported black lives matter but this time they're going too far" in a couple of months.

Anyone have the NYTimes article or other media from the day saying this about MLK handy?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

Congress supposedly had the power to stop him from bringing the prisoners to america and no one else would take them. At this point guantanamo will probably never close

They could have just let them go, given them a plane ticket back home for whatever was left of their home government to deal with

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1372270572890099726

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah sounds like america is working out pretty well for individual person raphael warnock, guess everything is ok after all

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1372544045151612929?s=20

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Nix Panicus posted:

They could have just let them go, given them a plane ticket back home for whatever was left of their home government to deal with

Yeah it's an obvious bullshit excuse but it's what the dems went with (of course)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Anyone who wasn't already a terrorist before getting renditioned was definitely going to be one after, not to mention that sending someone back to their home country would mean a live witness attesting to the renditions themselves, which is why they didn't want to do this either

This is not meant to be a defense of the practice, but this is what they were saying at the time in response

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah we have a federal penitentiary in my state (Leavenworth), which housed the head of the aryan brotherhood, and our state government said it was "too dangerous" to house Gitmo inmates

there's a "terrorist unit" which houses people like ted kaczynski, ramzi yousef, and dzhokhar tsarnaev at the federal supermax in colorado, the excuse was always 100% bullshit

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyone who wasn't already a terrorist before getting renditioned was definitely going to be one after, not to mention that sending someone back to their home country would mean a live witness attesting to the renditions themselves, which is why they didn't want to do this either

This is not meant to be a defense of the practice, but this is what they were saying at the time in response

:d2a:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

putin is terrified of kween MVP kamala harris yaaaaaaas

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i'm starting to think this Putin guy is just a smarter version of Trump: a guy who figured out that he can use the power of government to enrich himself that people project all kinds of dark fantasies of secret world domination plots onto because it's more exciting than a guy who just wants to have a gold toilet

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think putins game is to just be nice to everyone now since we become psychotically paranoid about people who hes polite to

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

i think putins game is to just be nice to everyone now since we become psychotically paranoid about people who hes polite to

Any russiagate lib who hears about this quote and is forced to comment on it would probably either say my earlier kamala comment or "that's what he WANTS us to think" yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair when an former spy agency guy says "I wish you good health" that can't sound anything but ominous.