Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Key resellers are usually selling keys bought at lower prices in other countries. There isn't really any risk for you unless Fromsoft implements region-locking or a regulatory body suddenly decides to crack down on the practice.

G2A is kind of a lovely company that has sold pirated keys in the past and has also tried to pay news outlets to publish undisclosed advertising and PR: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/g2a-blame-a-lone-employee-for-anonymous-advertorial-scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mordja posted:

Well, Necromunda's definitely a better fit for them, and the stucture sounds like it'll be closer to EYE. I just hope they make combat more punchy, Deathwing was a big disappointment in that respect compared to Cybermancy. Melee was especially anemic feeling, and largely ineffective.
Wasn't Necromunda an X-COM style shooter? Whatever happened to that?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't Necromunda an X-COM style shooter? Whatever happened to that?

By the Mordheim people. Came out! Wasn't great!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orv posted:

By the Mordheim people. Came out! Wasn't great!
Huh. I really thought it was retooled into that bounty hunter game. Don't think I've heard anything about it, negative or positive.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

Speaking of Warhammer 40K, Inquisitor: Martyr is down to 20 eurobucks today, and i'm feeling the itch for more warhammer after finishing the excellent Mechanicus.

From what i gather, it's an ARPG but a bit slower than the usual diablo clones? Is it any good? Any goon want to weigh in?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Huh. I really thought it was retooled into that bounty hunter game. Don't think I've heard anything about it, negative or positive.

Nah, Streum On has been working on the Necromunda bounty hunter game for at least four or five years now, before the TBS one was even announced. The TBS one had massive, massive AI issues with it being more or less non-functional on most maps and that basically killed the game in the crib. I think it's been patched up but I don't know that anyone is giving it another chance.

DrThief posted:

Speaking of Warhammer 40K, Inquisitor: Martyr is down to 20 eurobucks today, and i'm feeling the itch for more warhammer after finishing the excellent Mechanicus.

From what i gather, it's an ARPG but a bit slower than the usual diablo clones? Is it any good? Any goon want to weigh in?

It's slower and there's two main sticking points for most people; it's repetitive in the long run - whole lot of the same six or seven tilesets, same six or seven enemies per faction, same four or five skills per class - and the skill system is constraining. For the crusader and the assassin your active skills are all determined by your equipped weapons and your equipped armor. The psyker (and the tech priest but that requires Prophecy) can do more customization of their loadout and are frankly a great deal more fun than the first two options.

I recommend Martyr to anyone who doesn't mind a Fairly Okay ARPG and loves seeing 40K poo poo because that side of things, the art, the sound, the bombast, they nail in spades. Just don't expect it to be something you keep coming back to for a long time, in most peoples cases.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Orv posted:

There are legit third party key sites, the things listed on isthereanydeal.com are all legitimate ones and not grey market. Grey market sites, ones not listed on isthereanydeal, are not necessarily always selling keys bought with stolen credit cards or something like that, but the chances are good they are and your key might get revoked. The devs also see nothing from those sites. Recommended to avoid those ones.

buy grey market keys for games whose devs you hate. and all AAA games. it's a win/win.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

sunken fleet posted:

Thanks for the input guys, I've decided to go ahead and buy both.
Second question, should I be wary of these key reselling websites? Cause Scholar of the first sin is 40$ on Steam but like 12$ on G2A... are key re-sellers bad or illegal? I'm a bit wary since it's so much cheaper.
It depends. If it was previously in a bundle, the keys are likely to be legitimate. I can confirm that DS2: Scholar was in the Humble Monthly 7/2017 and while I feel like I remembered DS:R being in one, I can't confirm it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Of course, even if you get a legitimate product, you still end up supporting a lovely company.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haven't goons had their G2A-bought keys revoked and the games taken out of their library

(e) ah, missed mention of that upthread

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Does any other third party key seller offer as generous compensation to developers when there are issues? Or have as many tools for developers/publishers? Happy to support a different company but its kinda hard to figure this stuff out.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

DrThief posted:

I beat it on PS4 with one character and started the dlc but havent beaten it yet. It does have some issues, but if you are the type of person who generally just likes ARPGs, i think you would have a good time with it.

Some Quick Pros/Cons:

Pros:
- Skills are determined by equipment. I actually like this. It works for path of exile and it works here. It does mean, however, the upgrade tree is all passive 3%, etc buffs. So (the upgrade tree) is pretty boring and its often hard to tell if the upgrades are actually doing anything.
- Fun skills
- Good loot
- Lots of weapon types to play with

Cons:
- The few vehicle levels just dont work and are just boring
- The mission nagivation map might as well be in klingon. I still cant figure out the logistics of how it works. Main missions are highlighted purple, but there are SO MANY places to go and if you back out far enough, it doesnt tell you what location has the main mission.
- I literally never once used the crafting station, but maybe just because it is post game? inno.

Overall, it is a fun game with the usual over the tope ridiculousness of 40k. Maybe not as much as something like Space Marine, but i attribute that to perspective.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Some sites are marketplaces that anyone can sign up to and make a listing on. G2A, Kinguin and several others fit this description and because there's so much volume, you're bound to run into bad actors. If they try selling you "customer insurance", that's one indicator. Loads of people dump their bundle keys on there.

Other sites buy loads of keys in bulk from a particular region - back in the day they used to come from super cheap physical copies and you just got scans of the CD key insert, I don't think that's as common now since there are less physical releases overall.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The reseller business model is always going to result in less money going to a developer than if the game was bought at your region's normal price (excepting steam sales and such). Isthereanydeal returns the most legit sites out there, but if you are really concerned about the devs, then don't buy from resellers.

Not judging by the way, regional pricing is kind of a clusterfuck these days and some countries really get the short end of the stick.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gentleman Baller posted:

Does any other third party key seller offer as generous compensation to developers when there are issues? Or have as many tools for developers/publishers? Happy to support a different company but its kinda hard to figure this stuff out.

The legitimate resellers get their keys from the devs (barring a couple odd instances over the years) so those will pay the devs, though obviously more or less depending on various things since often "from the devs" is still in bulk from a way cheaper region.

The grey market sites don't do poo poo, except for one fun bit where (might be misremembering parts of this?) G2A claimed it would pay a bounty for stolen keys found on its website, a developer did it and then G2A had to be bullied into paying the bounty and I'm not sure they ever actually did.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah, places like Greenman get keys directly from the developers.

(Now sometimes the developer is Koei Tecmo and they gently caress up and send Greenman the wrong keys and stuff gets delayed which has happened to me like 2 or 3 times, but that's more of a question of 'how does the person at KT that sends out keys keep loving this up'.)

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Orv posted:

The legitimate resellers get their keys from the devs (barring a couple odd instances over the years) so those will pay the devs, though obviously more or less depending on various things since often "from the devs" is still in bulk from a way cheaper region.

The grey market sites don't do poo poo, except for one fun bit where (might be misremembering parts of this?) G2A claimed it would pay a bounty for stolen keys found on its website, a developer did it and then G2A had to be bullied into paying the bounty and I'm not sure they ever actually did.

So looking it up, seems like they paid a bunch of money to Wube, developers of Factorio. They said they were satisfied with the process, and it appeared that half of the stolen keys problem was from people reselling on g2a article

So if I was to buy from another grey market reseller seems like it'd be legitimate to worry. If they don't have they key blocking thing, or an avenue for reimbursement that is 'satisfactory' then it's probably worse to buy from other resellers, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gentleman Baller posted:

So looking it up, seems like they paid a bunch of money to Wube, developers of Factorio. They said they were satisfied with the process, and it appeared that half of the stolen keys problem was from people reselling on g2a article

So if I was to buy from another grey market reseller seems like it'd be legitimate to worry. If they don't have they key blocking thing, or an avenue for reimbursement that is 'satisfactory' then it's probably worse to buy from other resellers, right?

By those standards it's worse, yeah.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you here though, if you want a deal and want to support the developers and be ethical about it 100% for sure, buy from one of the legitimate third party sites. If that is not your primary concern, capitalism is an unending hellscape and just buy your video games. :shrug:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

G2A, Kinguin and other key resellers are total scum. As mentioned just go with sites listed on isthereanydeal.com and assume that everybody else sells poo poo that "fell off the back of a truck".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Gentleman Baller posted:

G2A does have some strange Direct program that offers developers a 10% commission on keys, but it is opt-in and, well, who knows how good they are at making good on it.

Looking through the list of partners and eligible games, it is mostly bundle fodder and dollar store indie games or really old titles (and the list weirdly has a bunch of games listed with 0% commission fee).

They've been involved in enough scandals that I would never trust them.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 18, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you buy grey market keys you might as well just pirate it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s about ethical consumption of game keys.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ethically consume my rear end

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1145272774761603072

https://twitter.com/RageSquid/status/1144972986979684353

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1145314954632974337

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of good games coming to Xbox PC Game Pass, I see they added a "Coming Soon" section. Some good stuff in the coming weeks:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
There are some extremely lovely resellers, so this is in no way a defense of G2A or others of its ilk, gently caress all those guys, but I don’t completely understand the vitriol people have for grey market sites in general when it comes to video games. If you buy a book or music CD off eBay then the original publishers/creators also get nothing. Same goes for used stuff on Craigslist or Amazon Marketplace or whatever. Nobody is frothing at the mouth about the ethics of buying second hand in those cases though. Just about every other industry has a second hand market that mostly everyone is cool with. Automobiles, clothes, furniture, you name it. Hell, I think GameStop has a used game sales model that’s predatory to both game makers and consumers, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I heard anyone say shopping there is unethical. What makes game developers so different that they need special protection from these sites?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think it's less that game devs need the protection and more that the inherently ephemeral nature of video game keys means the vendors can be real shitbags about it and unlike say, buying a secondhand physical thing that you can go "Yo this is hosed" and get a refund from Ebay or something (maybe) if your grey market key gets yoinked literally nobody is going to do anything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

There are some extremely lovely resellers, so this is in no way a defense of G2A or others of its ilk, gently caress all those guys, but I don’t completely understand the vitriol people have for grey market sites in general when it comes to video games. If you buy a book or music CD off eBay then the original publishers/creators also get nothing. Same goes for used stuff on Craigslist or Amazon Marketplace or whatever. Nobody is frothing at the mouth about the ethics of buying second hand in those cases though. Just about every other industry has a second hand market that mostly everyone is cool with. Automobiles, clothes, furniture, you name it. Hell, I think GameStop has a used game sales model that’s predatory to both game makers and consumers, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I heard anyone say shopping there is unethical. What makes game developers so different that they need special protection from these sites?

Because they steal the keys or do similar shady poo poo, then blame the developers when people complain.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Outright key theft aside, I don't have any hate for the resellers. I think the onus is on publishers and marketplaces like Steam to provide a better alternative. Half the reason why resellers are so big is that regional pricing makes games ludicrously expensive or totally unavailable in some unlucky countries. Steam just launched a new Chinese platform. Just as an example, Steam could easily launch a new platform in Brazil with pricing that wasn't insanely overpriced for the median income there. Resellers are a lovely solution to pricing issues that are largely ignored by the market.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Orv posted:

I think it's less that game devs need the protection and more that the inherently ephemeral nature of video game keys means the vendors can be real shitbags about it and unlike say, buying a secondhand physical thing that you can go "Yo this is hosed" and get a refund from Ebay or something (maybe) if your grey market key gets yoinked literally nobody is going to do anything.

I don’t know. Even with physical goods people get screwed all the time in the second hand market. I don’t do that much wheeling and dealing but I’ve seen stuff go sideways that couldn’t be fixed on eBay, Craigslist and Amazon before. It’s always a buyer beware situation to some degree. And anyway, generally when I hear someone suggesting that grey market game sites are bad, it’s usually the dev screw job that’s the focus of their opinions, not the risk to the buyer.

I think you’re right though, people do have a different impression of digital goods. Not sure if that’s fair, but it is there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fights in Tight Spaces got an update!!!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1265820/view/3029206961012884122

quote:

A small update that fixes a range of game, card, and text bugs, and adjusts a few gameplay aspects.

Balance Changes
Add ability to use "Heavy" enemies as walls for the purposes of Wall Run Kick etc.
Allow 540 kick to be targeted on empty tiles (as long as there is still a valid target)
Made the I Completi boss less easy to deal with!
Ninja mini-boss damage reduction now happens correctly
Recall now removes on play
Get Over Here no longer triggers auto-attack
Flash Kick maintains combo correctly
Vault correctly gains combo rather than reducing it
Improved Big Block and its upgrade
Follow Up Strike is now distinct in its behaviour from Body Blow

Bug Fixes
Enhancement Statuses now stack correctly
Fix to Shift not triggering reaction animations
Fixed issue with On The Job Training not copying cards with alt-movement values correctly
Prevent sudden deaths in Powder Room
Made card removal text clearer
Pick card actions no longer break replays
Ground Pound and Unleash upgrades have benefit
Dynamic Move upgrade correctly shows combo benefit
Bank Combo correctly clears damage modifier
Added cost to Redraw card
Fix prices not updating in shop after removing a card.
Lots of card text fixes and clarifications
Better handling of downed enemies
Fix for End Turn ability action (e.g. in False Surrender)
Fix for soft-lock when stacking too many counters
Various other fixes

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I am pretty sceptical of that, "Devs don't see a penny either way" thing. Like, if there's a reseller on g2a who has 300k positive reviews, 0 negative reviews, and all their keys are like 10% more than the retail price of a key in some other region, it seems pretty obvious that the keys were legitimately obtained, right?

It just feels like that applies more aptly to the used game market than the cdkey market.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 18, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of good games coming to Xbox PC Game Pass, I see they added a "Coming Soon" section. Some good stuff in the coming weeks:

Yeah, I noticed that too, Xbox Game Pass is killing it lately. Yakuza Remastered Collection not so long ago, then quite a few Bethesda-published games, Code Vein, Dirt 5, fixed Nier: Automata, EA Plus being integrated into the store today and the games you listed coming next week. It really is Netflix for games at this point.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As others have said, they're fine in principle when they're not being used for money laundering or selling keys bought with stolen credit card information. The problem with grey market resellers is that they have notoriously little oversight or vetting of users and products going on, so you're not only not guaranteed to get a working key at all, if you get a working key it might also suddenly just stop working one day if the developer or Steam decide to pull the keys because they were either stolen or paid for with stolen money. Happens somewhat regularly, if the G2A reddit can be believed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of Game Pass; I remembered the EA Play thing they announced back in December and then just delayed without any date, and it's apparently starting today?

https://www.polygon.com/22335966/ea-play-pc-xbox-game-pass-subscribers

Could someone confirm? (May not be up yet but happening a bit later?) The credit card I had MS Pass on expired and I didn't bother resubbing yet because I wasn't using it. :v:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It is happening today according to Microsoft, yes. Should launch in a little over 7 hours.

Note that it's going to rely on EA Desktop, which is the in-development replacement for Origin. You'll have to link your accounts there.

And you only need the PC subscription, not Ultimate.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 18, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, actually clicked through and it looks like that Necromunda game is a budget title at $40.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gentleman Baller posted:

I am pretty sceptical of that, "Devs don't see a penny either way" thing. Like, if there's a reseller on g2a who has 300k positive reviews, 0 negative reviews, and all their keys are like 10% more than the retail price of a key in some other region, it seems pretty obvious that the keys were legitimately obtained, right?

It just feels like that applies more aptly to the used game market than the cdkey market.
Even putting the money laundering aspect aside, making a business out of profiting off of unauthorized selling of brand-new serial keys (particularly for indie games) is pretty scummy. There's a big difference between a private consumer selling a pre-owned physical game disc to recoup part of the initial cost and a reseller intentionally exploiting loopholes in a developer's distribution pipeline in order to make pure profit off their products. Even the "legitimate" keys probably came from promotions and Humble Bundles or from buying in a region where the keys are cheap and flipping them in a more expensive region. If a dev issued a key somewhere for cheaper than the retail cost or as part of a bundle agreement, then they traded their profit expectation for that particular key for some secondary effect, like expanding their customer base to areas with lower buying power or increasing their exposure in particular segments of the market. Yoinking those keys, stripping them of that secondary purpose, and reselling them for a profit is just exploiting that loophole. The only real way to close that loophole would be to implement region-locked account-bound keys which is itself a huge burden on both the developer and the consumer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Huh, actually clicked through and it looks like that Necromunda game is a budget title at $40.

I do wonder how much latitude over MSRP developers of GW properties have themselves but I think Streum On is smart enough to know that they make weird poo poo and price appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Orv posted:

capitalism is an unending hellscape and just buy your video games. :shrug: