Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/klaszus/status/1371966867036774400?s=19

Forgot about this article, and also how mad albertans got about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I look forward to Doug Ford ramming this through before the election

https://pressprogress.ca/uber-is-lobbying-canadian-provinces-to-rewrite-labour-laws-and-create-a-new-underclass-of-workers/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_PnuXelvWA&t=62s

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I know a teacher who had to go to work today even though his wife and children are in 2 weeks of mandatory isolation because one of his children's teachers tested COVID positive.

Canadian Labour Law is pretty lovely to being with.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Seems unnecessary when the real legislation they'll need is liability waved during automated ride share road accidents.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
better get flying car insurance too

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Isizzlehorn posted:

Seems unnecessary when the real legislation they'll need is liability waved during automated ride share road accidents.

We are nowhere close to automated ride sharing

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Jun 28, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I wish journalism still existed to the extant that someone of prominence would get noticed publicly questioning the fact that the AZ vaccine is all but defenseless against the SA coronavirus variant which is currently spreading untraced

having a hard time parsing this, but if you're saying the az vaccine is defenceless against a variant, got a link?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pokeyman posted:

having a hard time parsing this, but if you're saying the az vaccine is defenceless against a variant, got a link?

NEJM from yesterday: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2102214?query=featured_home

quote:

BACKGROUND
Assessment of the safety and efficacy of vaccines against the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in different populations is essential, as is investigation of the efficacy of the vaccines against emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern, including the B.1.351 (501Y.V2) variant first identified in South Africa.

METHODS
We conducted a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, controlled trial to assess the safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) in people not infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in South Africa. Participants 18 to less than 65 years of age were assigned in a 1:1 ratio to receive two doses of vaccine containing 5×1010 viral particles or placebo (0.9% sodium chloride solution) 21 to 35 days apart. Serum samples obtained from 25 participants after the second dose were tested by pseudovirus and live-virus neutralization assays against the original D614G virus and the B.1.351 variant. The primary end points were safety and efficacy of the vaccine against laboratory-confirmed symptomatic coronavirus 2019 illness (Covid-19) more than 14 days after the second dose.

RESULTS
Between June 24 and November 9, 2020, we enrolled 2026 HIV-negative adults (median age, 30 years); 1010 and 1011 participants received at least one dose of placebo or vaccine, respectively. Both the pseudovirus and the live-virus neutralization assays showed greater resistance to the B.1.351 variant in serum samples obtained from vaccine recipients than in samples from placebo recipients. In the primary end-point analysis, mild-to-moderate Covid-19 developed in 23 of 717 placebo recipients (3.2%) and in 19 of 750 vaccine recipients (2.5%), for an efficacy of 21.9% (95% confidence interval [CI], −49.9 to 59.8). Among the 42 participants with Covid-19, 39 cases (92.9%) were caused by the B.1.351 variant; vaccine efficacy against this variant, analyzed as a secondary end point, was 10.4% (95% CI, −76.8 to 54.8). The incidence of serious adverse events was balanced between the vaccine and placebo groups.

CONCLUSIONS
A two-dose regimen of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine did not show protection against mild-to-moderate Covid-19 due to the B.1.351 variant. (Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and others; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04444674. opens in new tab; Pan African Clinical Trials Registry number, PACTR202006922165132. opens in new tab).

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Jun 28, 2021

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

prom candy posted:

We are nowhere close to automated ride sharing

Think that's going to stop them? Lmao

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

thanks!

I'm curious if there's any difference in effectiveness for severe symptoms (study had no hospitalizations or deaths), or if there's any reason getting the az vaccine would preclude someone from getting another later on (I assume not?)

I'm no expert, but calling it a "useless" vaccine seems a bit premature

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I wish journalism still existed to the extant that someone of prominence would get noticed publicly questioning the fact that the AZ vaccine is all but defenseless against the SA coronavirus variant which is currently spreading untraced

So much this. In BC the non-independent journalists just parrot whatever the government days without scrutiny. For instance, BC's definition of an outbreak in schools differs from every other setting. Journalists have not pushed back on this, even when a single school has several cases at once or many exposure notices in a short period of time.

Journalists shouldn't be conspiracy theorists but they should be willing to scrutinize government claims.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

pokeyman posted:

thanks!

I'm curious if there's any difference in effectiveness for severe symptoms (study had no hospitalizations or deaths), or if there's any reason getting the az vaccine would preclude someone from getting another later on (I assume not?)

I'm no expert, but calling it a "useless" vaccine seems a bit premature

One thing I'm curious about, but I don't think we have any data on, is how vaccines impact long covid. We know that the approved vaccines protect against severe covid and death but it looks like many people who get long covid had few to no symptoms. Do these vaccines protect against long term outcomes from mild infection?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

One thing I'm curious about, but I don't think we have any data on, is how vaccines impact long covid. We know that the approved vaccines protect against severe covid and death but it looks like many people who get long covid had few to no symptoms. Do these vaccines protect against long term outcomes from mild infection?

priority should be on avoiding death etc. but yeah, totally curious about long covid in general. I don't doubt that it's a thing, but how often is it self-diagnosed, are people just paying more attention to their bodies (for good reason!), will a vaccinated population mean enough of a break from the crushing anxiety that people get better on their own, so many questions

and still so many ways to gently caress it up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
yeah, I don't doubt that long covid is a thing but the wikipedia page for it has a couple "this is from questionably-sourced medical research" warnings and in one part outright admits no one actually knows what long covid *is*. it would not be surprised if some "long covid" patients are just suffering from hypochondria brought on by post-traumatic stress

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wow the human mind so powerful as to permanently scar your lungs...

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Post viral fatigue was a thing before COVID

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

yeah, I don't doubt that long covid is a thing but the wikipedia page for it has a couple "this is from questionably-sourced medical research" warnings and in one part outright admits no one actually knows what long covid *is*.

You know this is true for many medical conditions, right?

Like pre-eclampsia, that thing that has been killing women in childbirth for millennia has a constantly changing and evolving definition. The primary diagnostic criteria for MS have changed twice in the past decade. Definitional ambiguity is extremely common in medicine.

And there are real sources on long covid.

Here's one from The Lancet: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33428867/
Here's one from JAMA: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33606031/
Here's one from Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01292-y

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
gently caress Tom Mulcair

”Tom Mulcair in Macleans on Jagmeet Singh” posted:

Tragically, some elements of his caucus have chosen to ride their anti-Israel hobby horse at this precise moment and it will take all of Singh’s considerable skills not to let it become an unnecessary distraction. Even as historical elements from his Party’s fringes try to ignite the issue, Singh will be required to waste precious energy and time explaining that talk of “Israel apartheid” and shmoozing with Jeremy Corbin are out of line with established NDP policy and out of synch with Canadian voters.

source if anyone wants to read Mulcair slobbering all over the Libs for way too many paragraphs.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/what-to-expect-from-the-liberals-an-election-asap/

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

yeah, I don't doubt that long covid is a thing but the wikipedia page for it has a couple "this is from questionably-sourced medical research" warnings and in one part outright admits no one actually knows what long covid *is*. it would not be surprised if some "long covid" patients are just suffering from hypochondria brought on by post-traumatic stress

https://www.businessinsider.com/woman-says-her-severe-long-covid-vanished-after-vaccine-2021-3

Here's one for sure that was just a mental thing. Placebo effects are crazy

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Terror Sweat posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/woman-says-her-severe-long-covid-vanished-after-vaccine-2021-3

Here's one for sure that was just a mental thing. Placebo effects are crazy

Pretty weak troll bro 2/10

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BGrifter posted:

source if anyone wants to read Mulcair slobbering all over the Libs for way too many paragraphs.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/what-to-expect-from-the-liberals-an-election-asap/

what a shithead

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BGrifter posted:

that nasty man jeremy corbin taking his political poison across the atlantic!

The pure hatred of jeremy corbin by the traditional liberal establishment cannot be understated. ever.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Mulcair fuckin sucks rear end, going after Jezza on Macleans of all place shows you which side he's on

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Macleans is weird - they have Andray Domise regularly write in their paper which is exactly the opposite of what Maclean's should/would want in their magazine

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mulcair's not wrong, taking a stance on anything is pretty out of sync with the two parties of power. though it's unfortunate he said "canadian voters" instead of "the two parties of power"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the other party also avoids taking a stance on anything, despite the fact that the stakes have never been lower

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

so, doug made a thing,
https://twitter.com/fordnation/status/1372693224511447042?s=21

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i dont think i have ever seen something more sycophantic. thats art

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

BGrifter posted:

absolutely the worst

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

thank you thank you thank you

oh we don't actually have anything yet but I will thank you more when it actually shows up, if it even shows up

but thank you, thank you, thank you

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I hope Doug unintentionally alienates like half his voting base who were ride or die in love with Trump despite having 3 government issued replacement joints and a heavily union backed pension by sucking biden's proverbial dick

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i hate our big dumb premier

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

e: meant to post in d&d

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The best "shot" :dadjoke: we have at getting vaccinated is if the borders open up and just driving to the states

I heard Cuba was thinking of offering vaccine tourism packages for people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe china will donate some sinovac to us