Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I put a lot of effort into roads, they look nice, but also feel like I'm wasting my time because of the finite resources?

I wish there were mounts and caravans and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Makes a nice liqueur!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Taffer posted:

The portal restrictions aren't just to make you sail a lot (though that's certainly part of it), it's to make your game play more nomadic. Instead of just running everything from a central base you made at the start of the game, you build outposts and move your center of operations around as needed. While at times this can be tedious, IMO it's the special sauce that really made this game explode and captured people's imagination. It makes you feel like an adventurer, like you're really setting out to explore the world.

Many people will probably dislike this, and many more will probably mod it out partially or fully, but the game would have been much worse off without it, I think.

Most people don't play in a nomadic style, so I wouldn't say it's the "special sauce". Most build a large-ish central base, then explore and set up outposts.

tbh, even setting up a forge/smelter/kiln at each place where you want to resource harvest gets nigh-impossible later in the game due to all the metal needed for upgrades. It's easier to just get a longship full and sail it back.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I mean in comparison to Ark or Conan we built way more functional bases in this game. We had one base on our Ark server and while we moved from biome to biome on Conan we almost never went back to old bases. This game we have like 5 or 6 fully operational bases.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Taffer posted:

The portal restrictions aren't just to make you sail a lot (though that's certainly part of it), it's to make your game play more nomadic. Instead of just running everything from a central base you made at the start of the game, you build outposts and move your center of operations around as needed. While at times this can be tedious, IMO it's the special sauce that really made this game explode and captured people's imagination. It makes you feel like an adventurer, like you're really setting out to explore the world.

Many people will probably dislike this, and many more will probably mod it out partially or fully, but the game would have been much worse off without it, I think.

I prefer this way to play 100% but they need a better way to transport workshop items. The way things are set up now it's expensive and/or tedious to keep rebuilding your crafting infrastructure every time. Placing it can fun; but hosed if I want remember that I need to transport 25 fine wood, 10 copper, 2 bronze, 35 iron, 5 deerhide, 4 iron chain, (3 french hens), 55 wood and a sharpening stone

It's making the portal restriction seem arbitrary too. The metal restriction could be handwaved away as "something something must be worked by viking hands" but somehow I have a set of big nails that I beat into scrap metal and transport across the ocean instead because only the little nails can go through the magic portal

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 18, 2021

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I think just being able to make portals upgradeable to carry ore though would be fine. That way, you get to explore, find it, and then carry it back. Then you can turn that into a portal that doesn't have the restriction. That would seem to be a happy medium.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
if you wanna teleport ore, just make another world and hop across. then fill it with a billion greydwarf eyes before deleting.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

GlyphGryph posted:

God I loving love building roads.

I don't know why its so enjoyable to me.

I've got highways running between my bases and into various resource rich areas, I've got special signs I'm making out of multiple sign panels links together to name them, I build waypoint huts separated by about a days travel (with a fully loaded cart), railings whenever there's a steep fall or where you might get confused which way to go, and recently I've started including decorative structures along the side of the road, just as a nice surprise for people.

There's only two other people that play on this server! None of this is necessary! But I fuckin' love it.

Give me more of that road building simulator 2020.

I basically kind of decided I wanted to just completely do something like this but kind of quickly gave up because honestly speaking the world is about 20x too big for me alone.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I don't mind that you can't move ores/ingots through portals but then I did skip the iron step beyond getting a pickaxe and mace going for silver gear directly from bronze.

What I wish they would implement is some kind of packing function so you could have a box with a portal in and boxes with workbench and upgrades to make it easier for the mining expeditions.

I did kind of use the teleport cheese for silver since I had none where I built our second base and the other players had mined out most of the nearby mountains but I moved my whole smelting setup there and made everything so it was only after I was done with silver I brought the last ingots home.

My only "issue" is that they made sailing too good since I get uncomfortable with deep water where I can't see the bottom and that makes sailing a nerve-wracking experience for me.
So I just scouted out a nice plains island on our dedicated server and now I am building a fancy base for when everyone has done their thing solo and we'll met up and wait for more content.

Then again I have 130 h in this game and have yet to kill 4th boss so I don't progress very fast so I never felt the need to mine massive amounts of any old ores yet.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

GlyphGryph posted:

Here's my "waypoint marker" for Waypoint #1 on Pine Coast Road, as an example:

:wow:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lol, "one of the world's most elusive fruits". You can buy cloudberry jam in Ikea, it's really not that elusive

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Winklebottom posted:

lol, "one of the world's most elusive fruits". You can buy cloudberry jam in Ikea, it's really not that elusive

Wait. Cloudberries are considered one of the most elusive fruits? I mean, i guess that might be true in the desert, but i don't think i could walk many meters outside my house until i could pick a few kilograms during autumn.

It is weird how they are found in Plains ingame though, since they mainly are found in the mountains irl.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're fairly rare outside of scandiland, i think. or other places where they are common.

I know about them but I've never seen them or a jam of them on sale in the UK.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean they're one of the most elusive fruit.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I was blown away by how much faster things move along with more people. Came across a copper vein in my 4 player game, and they emptied that thing in a split second, even though we only had 3 pickaxes. I was also blown away by how much of a hit my framerate takes near the base. We literally have one big warehouse and a little area for chests. That'll be fun as we start to build things back up.

GlyphGryph posted:

Here's my "waypoint marker" for Waypoint #1 on Pine Coast Road, as an example:

I'm equally amazed that mobs and the rain haven't destroyed this thing to bits. How has it held up?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weather doesn't destroy anything, only takes it to half health.

Mobs don't seem to care too much about constructions, the AI seems focused on them trying to get to a limited list of "interesting" things like boats, chests, or workbenches. So if none of those are nearby they probably won't destroy it. They destroy walls if one gets in the way of them getting to where they want to go though.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Can monsters attack while swimming? It seems impossible to protect a boat if that's the case. Also, does applying paved road also apply level ground? Wondering if can try and stop spawns in shallow water by paving it all.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 18, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's best to just keep boats in storage so that they don't slowly get beaten down by rogue waves raising them into the air and dropping them for fall damage on top of mob's rushing to them.

Ideally either the dev's or mod makers would make it so boats are invincible once players haven't controlled them for a minute so you can have your decorative longboats forever.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Reik posted:

Can monsters attack while swimming? It seems impossible to protect a boat if that's the case. Also, does applying paved road also apply level ground? Wondering if can try and stop spawns in shallow water by paving it all.

Yes, they can. I have a bunch of tamed wolves that act as low rent security for my base and they often chase hostiles or deer into the water and kill them while swimming.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Attacking while swimming is kinda glitchy though, I had a 2 star furling get hung up on the bow of my boat and push it out to sea because he was more interested in getting to me at the rudder than damaging anything.

That's just their target priority though, "if player within X distance run towards player, otherwise pick player owned structure to attack."

Though they freak out if you damage them with a bow and they can't path to you.. they'll sprint off into the distance instead of mauling your base.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We definitely need bigger gates so we can close the doors to our harbors and keep out the swimmers. Or dinghies so we can park our boats far enough out the mobs can't reach them I guess.

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm equally amazed that mobs and the rain haven't destroyed this thing to bits. How has it held up?

It's not made of anything mobs like to attack, so unless someone kites a troll into it or something it should be fine. All the rain does is give it a nice "aged" look, really.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Someone earlier in the thread said mobs don't swim that far, and therefore you can stop them from getting to your boats by building far enough into the water.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Woden posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said mobs don't swim that far, and therefore you can stop them from getting to your boats by building far enough into the water.

but then they get eaten by the kraken

my strategy is to make a jetty over shallow water so i can unload and when they break i can just grab the mats back out of the water. it's the best we can do with what is a somewhat broken system at the moment.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My play group built a portal hub, so our bases wouldn't get cluttered up. For a while it was just an island with a couple dozen portals on it, but we went ahead and spruced it up a bit.

We've also started to expand our main supply base into a little town. For a while it was all our beds and supply chests in a single building, but now we have a warehouse, a kitchen, devoted farming areas, a port, etc. We've all started building our own houses as well, and I figured "Since I use a portal to get home, why have a door? And since I don't have a door, why be on the ground?"

It's no amazing castle on the side of a rock spire in the plains, but it'll do for now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

We definitely need bigger gates so we can close the doors to our harbors and keep out the swimmers. Or dinghies so we can park our boats far enough out the mobs can't reach them I guess.

It's not made of anything mobs like to attack, so unless someone kites a troll into it or something it should be fine. All the rain does is give it a nice "aged" look, really.

I'm definitely hoping they expand what boats can be used for and basically everything else boat/water in the future. Changing the water physics to work differently depending on if there's anything between the shore and the open water is probably really tricky but I want to build my own protected harbour.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Is it possible to shuffle the map files to each other so people can keep playing even if I'm not online? How does that work exactly? I upload the files, person downloads the files, makes progress then sends it back to me the next time we all play? Can they just host the game? Anything to do circumvent the dedicated server fees.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xzzy posted:

Mobs don't seem to care too much about constructions, the AI seems focused on them trying to get to a limited list of "interesting" things like boats, chests, or workbenches. So if none of those are nearby they probably won't destroy it. They destroy walls if one gets in the way of them getting to where they want to go though.

The one thing they seem to hate more than anything is carts. You leave those alone in the woods for a few minute and there will be a horde of the local mobs trying to gently caress it up.

Woden posted:

Yeah I leave my plains boats at the dock and nothing ever fucks with them. Think this kinda thing:

Uldor posted:

The Harbor

because I basically stole the idea for my base. I didn't bother building walls though, I went with a surrounding ha-ha instead.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 18, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

rydiafan posted:

It's no amazing castle on the side of a rock spire in the plains, but it'll do for now.

Lol

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

xzzy posted:

The AI definitely has priority targets, but I've noticed something in my playthrough that doesn't jive with what others have reported. I've got about 200 hours in, and I've never once had any mob attack a structure, no matter what was inside. (That is, unless they're aggroed onto me.) Put a workbench near some mobs, stand back, and they'll zip over to it and wreck it. Put a fence around it with an open gate, and they'll path through the door and wreck it. Close the gate, and the mobs will stand outside the fence scratching their balls.

If you're around and they hear you, yeah, they'll put in a few token hits on the walls, but if you stay quiet, they'll just leave. I've got farms out in the plains with just a fence around them, and the fulings just hang around them doing nothing.

I had a wolf harrassing me in the mountains while I was trying to build a cabin, and he was biting at my rear end and I ignored him because I was about to put up my last 2 walls. Once the final piece snapped into place that broke his pathing to me, he scratched at the wall 3 or 4 times, then left.

So even though everyone I've ever run across reports mobs attacking their stuff constantly, I've never had it happen, not even once. (This of course does not apply to the events.) The only time mobs ever attack my bases is if they see or hear me inside, they'll keep coming then, until they "lose" you either visually or through sound.

I've got only one base they just won't stop harrassing, and it's because I never enclosed the workbenches and the main structure is open-design with no doors. They've got a path to the good poo poo, and they never stop coming.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it possible to shuffle the map files to each other so people can keep playing even if I'm not online? How does that work exactly? I upload the files, person downloads the files, makes progress then sends it back to me the next time we all play? Can they just host the game? Anything to do circumvent the dedicated server fees.

Yes, you can technically just keep sending the file to each other after you are done.

But honestly, if you are playing just 1 or 2 people at a time where this would make sense, you can probably host a dedicated server on your machine without too much of a performance hit for when you are not on (provided you have a decent computer and not running on 10 year old hardware).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

In fact, I've been rather impressed with the AI pathing in this game, considering how poor it is in most games. A particularly memorable time my wife and I had skeletons chasing us (early game, this was a threat) so we ran back to our base and shut the gate. I told her "we're fine, they'll leave in a few seconds" and I saw the skeleton running past us instead of heading home. Then I realized - poo poo, I left the back gate open! Yep, he knew it, had run right around the base to the one door I forgot to close, and proceeded to terrorize. Happened again last night with a cliffside base where I had forgotten to shut the back door at the top of the structure. Had a raid event, here they come, zip inside and shut the door, safe. Wait, where are they all going, why are they all going that way...poo poo poo poo poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I'm definitely hoping they expand what boats can be used for and basically everything else boat/water in the future. Changing the water physics to work differently depending on if there's anything between the shore and the open water is probably really tricky but I want to build my own protected harbour.

I still think they should do it with a thing you can build that just projects a calm water zone around it, but if they can make it work with actual shelter mechanics that would be interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A very important update on the status of mine and my wife's vikings living arrangements.

"fort murder hugs" because hugs are cool, but vikings are tough so therefore their hugs are murder.

And "fort let's see what we can do with limited terraforming."

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I still think they should do it with a thing you can build that just projects a calm water zone around it, but if they can make it work with actual shelter mechanics that would be interesting.

I would love an item that stops enemy spawning. I really hope they add it in. Have mods addressed this at all?

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

What you described could potentially work, but seems very likely to be prone to errors.

If you have access to a system that could be on all the time you can run the dedicated server, even on the same system you normally play on if you're okay with the system being always-on. I've read about people doing both (local potato box just running the server or running server on the same system they run the game client on and leaving it on) so it's certainly possible.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-multiplayer-dedicated-server/ Go down to Dedicated Server Setup section. I think there's some quirks to connecting locally that you'd probably need to google.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I have a poltergeist in one of my houses. Every few days, a piece of the front roof will fall off. I'll put it back up. It's attached to a deep green piece which itself is attached to stone, it was fine for weeks. Now it likes falling. I put some (unnecessary) vertical supports under it just for fun.

Then the stone archway under the front door collapsed. These are blue pieces. I put them back up.

The falling pieces are adjacent to each other, and were up forever before these random collapses started. It's not mobs, because these pieces are on a house that is completely surrounded by 5 stone high outer walls. Nothing else has collapsed.

This only seems to happen if I'm manually walking to the base from an excursion, not if I teleport in or stay around. My working theory is that when I approach the perimeter of when the game starts to draw in my structures, the pieces are loading in an order that loads these pieces before the supporting pieces, and the calculation that has them fall occurs before the rest of the structure gets loaded.

If I'm right, I have zero idea what to do about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the prose edda has instructions for how to quiet a restless spirit if that's any help :v:

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

I've got the server running in a container on a machine I play with virtualization stuff on at the house and it runs amazing. The box it's on is probably at least 10 years old and the Valheim Dedicated server runs fantastically. Because of the way the server operates (just routing traffic and passing information about the changes in the map from the seed more than anything) it takes almost nothing to run. Time only passes on the server when somebody is logged in.

Here's the Docker compose file I'm using. In case you have something that can run the container for you.

code:
version: "3.9"
services: 
  valheim: 
    image: lloesche/valheim-server
    volumes: 
      - ./config:/config
    ports: 
      - "2456-2458:2456-2458/udp" 
    environment: 
      - SERVER_NAME=****This shows up in the server listing****
      - SERVER_PASS=****SuperSecretPassword****
      - WORLD_NAME=Dedicated
      - SERVER_PUBLIC=true
      - TZ=America/Chicago
      - UPDATE_IF_IDLE=true
      - RESTART_CRON=0 5 * * *
      - BACKUPS=true
      - BACKUPS_CRON=15 * * * 
      - VALHEIM_PLUS=true

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

My working theory is that when I approach the perimeter of when the game starts to draw in my structures, the pieces are loading in an order that loads these pieces before the supporting pieces, and the calculation that has them fall occurs before the rest of the structure gets loaded.

I have a similar theory about how my pigs keep escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have a pretty large boar farm with multiple enclosures so I tested the "they sometimes load outside the fence" theory. Used to have the problem fairly often so I dug trenches inside the fence boxes so the pigs can't spawn on the same vertical axis as the fences. It completely solved the problem so that seems to be exactly what happens.