Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1 trauma is good for a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"I understand. I get scared of the dark sometimes too."

Evertree posted:

Wen gives you a shy smile and says, "Liar. You're just teasing me."
Wen +5

That was the right choice, you can only really get anything out of her by asking about Mr. Dupree's death at this point if she already likes you from your interactions in Chapter 1.

"Who else works here?"

Evertree posted:

"There are four of us," she says, merrily. "And we all live here too. It's like a real family. I share a room in the back with our cook, Gilly, and then Lamuel has his own room, and mother sleeps in the room behind the lobby."
Wen +5

"What are the other guests like?"

Evertree posted:

Wen clearly does not share her boss' tight lips as she happily tells you all about the other people staying in the rooms upstairs.

"Well there's a very scary half-orc staying in room 4 and there's a halfling staying in room 2 called Mr. Brushgather."

A slightly envious look then comes over Wen's face as she continues, "And there's a really beautiful half-elf staying in room 5. And then in room 6 there's an elf called Isaria Evenveil! I've never heard of her but I'm supposed to be extra specially nice to her. Apparently she's a very important guest."

1. "Do you remember a man who stayed here called Gregori Risenfaal?"
2. "How did you come to get adopted by Mrs. Dupree?"
3. I think Wen might be hiding something. I'll offer her a gold piece to loosen her tongue.
4. I'll use magic to read her mind quickly. (Mana: 10)

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 18, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

(Also, you have "What are the other guests like?" in there twice.)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ultrafilter posted:

(Also, you have "What are the other guests like?" in there twice.)

I have no idea what you're talking about. :P

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

2, softly softly catchee murderer.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"How did you come to get adopted by Mrs. Dupree?"

Evertree posted:

Wen smiles and replies, "Oh, that's a very lucky story. I was left here by my parents when I was very young, but Laisa took me in and gave me a home and a job. She's been good to me, she has. And I really love living here." <Clue 4 updated!>

You're not sure you would call being abandoned by your parents lucky but Wen seems content with the end result.

1. "Do you remember a man who stayed here called Gregori Risenfaal?"
2. I think Wen might be hiding something. I'll offer her a gold piece to loosen her tongue.
3. I'll use magic to read her mind quickly. (Mana: 10)
4. I'm all done asking questions.

Stats posted:

Clues
4 - Wen was adopted by Mrs. Dupree after she was abandoned by her parents in her room eight years ago.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Do you remember a man who stayed here called Gregori Risenfaal?"

Evertree posted:

Rather than the silence you might have expected when asking about the object of your investigation, Wen's expression instead turns to thunder.

"The man from room 3 last week?" she says crossly, "He was not a good man at all. He was mean and rude and his perfume was so strong it made me choke!"

She catches herself and says, "I'm sorry, ma'am. We do get some nasty guests sometimes, but he was the worst!"

You ask what made him particularly bad and Wen furrows her brow. "Well Lamuel said that he made him feel really uncomfortable. He kept giving him these creepy looks and asking him to help with stuff in the room. Lamuel spent most of the time hiding in the kitchen with Gilly." It sounds like Mr. Risenfaal might have been looking to break the 'No hanky-panky' rule. <Clue 7 updated!>

It seems Wen may not have been aware of Mr. Risenfaal's eventual death at the inn, but it is interesting to know that he was disliked.

1. I think Wen might be hiding something. I'll offer her a gold piece to loosen her tongue.
2. I'll use magic to read her mind quickly. (Mana: 10)
3. I'm all done asking questions.

Stats posted:

Clues
7 - Mr. Risenfaal was leering after Lamuel during his stay.

The 'No hanky-panky' rule is sacrosanct.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2 - Magic out the truth!

Can we start wildly speculating on stuff yet? Because I'm thinking the innkeeper found out he was attempting to break the no-hanky-panky rule and straight up murdered him for it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MagusofStars posted:

Can we start wildly speculating on stuff yet? Because I'm thinking the innkeeper found out he was attempting to break the no-hanky-panky rule and straight up murdered him for it.

I am 100% pro wild speculation.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Lmao if the thread title was a clue that will be amazing. The innkeeper is like an 80s slasher villain and kills anyone who starts getting frisky. Perhaps even Wen's parents, and she wasn't abandoned at all?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Coincidentally...

I'll use magic to read her mind quickly. (Mana: 10)

"Evertree posted:

The success of this spell all depends on whether the halfling is thinking anything of use right now. Fortunately, halflings are not naturally resistant to magical effects and Wen is particularly susceptible. Pretty soon you can see thoughts forming into images.

I am a young halfling of no more than a few years, alone in a room. I am crying out for my parents. The door opens. A woman walks in. She picks me up and holds me close. "Don't worry, child," she whispers in a soothing voice. "Your parents may be gone but I'll take care of you. You can even call me 'Mother' if you like…"

You are seeing Wen's memory of how she came to live at the inn, adopted by Mrs. Dupree after being abandoned by her parents.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" Wen calls, bringing your spell to an end. "You went very quiet for a moment."

As you think of what you would like to ask Wen next, you see her stop working and sit down in a chair for a rest. The two of you have finished all of the immediate work, but if there was anything else you wanted to ask, now would be as good a time as any.

1. I think Wen might be hiding something. I'll offer her a gold piece to loosen her tongue.
2. I'm all done asking questions.

Mana -10
Guile %+2
Magic %+2

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Just bought this game and the sequel, and looking forward to seeing what happens on some of the paths I didn't take.

On that note, she really doesnt need a bribe so 2

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, 2, let's eat.

Also that did absolutely nothing to disabuse the notion that Mrs Dupree is a serial killer.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. Bribing Wen at this point would be completely pointless, but I think the dialogue if you try is quite cute, so I'm showing it here anyway.

Evertree posted:

As you offer the gold, Wen smiles, probably thinking of it as a tip.

"Thank you very much, ma'am. You're very generous!"

She certainly likes you more, although you're not sure she gets the concept of bribery.

Anyway, on with the story!

I'm all done asking questions.

Evertree posted:

With most of the work now completed, Wen thanks you several more times before you leave to get on with exploring the inn.

GONG

Evetree posted:

The sound of the gong in the lobby rings loudly throughout the inn, summoning everyone to dinner. You have done all the investigating you can, and now it's time to get something to eat!

Evetree posted:

You've done a lot of exploring in your hour and managed to uncover some interesting new clues. This will better prepare you for what lies ahead and the challenges you will face at Evertree Inn.

Choose one skill you would like to improve before moving on to the next chapter.

1. Combat.
2. Guile.
3. Perception.
4. Magic and Mana.
5. I want to improve all my skills equally.

I'll update with our current stats in a second.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Here are our current stats:

Stats posted:

Current Stats

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 25/100
Guile: 17/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 52/100
Gold: 11
Mana: 35
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Owner: Laisa: 33/100
Gardener: Lamuel: 50/100
Maid: Wen: 53/100
???: 18/100
???: 8/100
???: 5/100
Daisy Thorne: 22/100
Isaria Evenveil: 23/100

Romance: You definitely have a connection with Mrs. Dupree's son, Lamuel. You hope it could turn into something more.

Clues
1 - Luxican official Gregori Risenfaal was murdered in room 3 a week ago with a wooden hair comb.
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago, falling into the wood cellar.
3 - The mystery of your stolen 3 gold pieces has been resolved.
4 - Wen was adopted by Mrs. Dupree after she was abandoned by her parents in her room eight years ago.
5 - The elf in room 6, Isaria Evenveil, is a VIP.
6 - ?
7 - Mr. Risenfaal was leering after Lamuel during his stay.
8 - Wen is scared of the wood cellar.
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - ?
13 - ?
14 - ?
15 - ?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Guile I think, that's very low compared to perception and magic, and (so far) we're not really a combat-based character.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Combat Better boost something medium higher than low to medium

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

I agree with Guile

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Combat; I think we're already good on magic and perception and guile seems hopelessly far behind.

Besides, we've already pissed off a giant half-orc, being able to handle ourselves might come in handy pretty quick.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Combat Better boost something medium higher than low to medium

I agree with this.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Okay, combat it is:

Evertree posted:

You feel a surge of confidence as you run through all that you've experienced and you know that you will fare even better in encounters to come as your adventure continues.

Now, on to the next chapter!
Combat +9

This chapter we got a 9 bonus out of a possible 20. We missed a lot of information we could have found had we asked different questions or made different choices. Specifically, we could increased our bonus by finding more out about the circumstances of Wen's adoption (Clue 4), learning more about Isaria (Clue 5), investigating the wood cellar (Clue 8), and discovering anything about Clues 6, 9 and 10. We'll have other opportunities to find out the things we missed later, but the earlier you discover them, the greater the bonus you get.

I've decided I'm going to show all the major things we didn't see at the end, rather than now avoid ruining the mystery, because guessing the first time through is half of the fun. Anyway, onwards to Chapter 3!

Evertree posted:

Chapter 3: Something to Chew On
As you walk into the dining room, you feel a beautiful warmth wash over you. The rest of the inn is not cold, but the roaring fire and the gentle glow of the candles in their wooden candlesticks make this room feel more like a woodland dell than the restaurant of a highway tavern.

Most of the tables are for couples, and they come in various sizes to cater to small and larger guests alike. A central table could easily seat four or five, but it is currently unoccupied. Each place is decorated with a vase of flowers, no doubt picked from the edge of the forest, and arranged with ornate crockery and cutlery.

Wen, the halfing maid, bustles back and forth carrying flagons of ale and other beverages from the kitchen, her dirty overalls replaced with a clean white apron. Upon seeing you she hurries over. She gives you a friendly smile and says,

"Nice to see you again, ma'am. I hope you're ready for some delicious food."

Evertree posted:

She gestures to the various tables available and explains to you, "Feel free to sit wherever you like. We have Miss Daisy Thorne over on that table there. She's from room 5."

You look over to see the sumptuous Daisy, wearing a silken dress that flows over her body like a spun waterfall.

Looking past Daisy, you see a much larger guest sitting in the darkest corner of the room. From his hulking form, he is instantly recognisable as the half-orc from room 4.

"That's Mr. Gunther Ga'arl," Wen says, sounding nervous. "Room 4. I don't think he's looking for any company though."

Given that Wen is barely a third the size of Mr. Ga'arl, it's hardly surprising that she's scared.

"So please take a seat wherever you'd like," your waitress concludes, "and I'll bring you some ale, or perhaps you'd like some wine? Or a non-alcoholic beverage?"

"Yes, bring me ale!"
"A glass of wine with my meal would be most pleasant, thank you kindly."
"Some sort of fruit juice would be lovely, thank you."
"I'll stick to water, thanks."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Fruit juice will help us stay on our toes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Wine to go with our distinguished potential table mate, Daisy

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Okay, we need one more vote. Alcohol or no alcohol?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fruit juice/not alcohol. Keep our wits about us.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Some sort of fruit juice would be lovely, thank you."

Evertree posted:

"Right away, ma'am," Wen bows cheerily and heads off to the kitchen. Now all you have to do is decide where you would like to sit.

As you are making your decision you hear a voice behind you say,

"You can sit anywhere. They're all the same."

Turning around, you see Lamuel wiping his hands on a cloth which he then tucks into his back pocket.

He gives you a bashful smile, as if psyching himself up to ask you something, and manages, "When you're finished, if you still wanted to spend some time together, I'll be outside."

1. "I'll eat alone so I'll be done as quickly as possible."
2. "I'd like to mingle with some of the guests, but I'll be out straight after."
3. "Don't be so nervous. I'm totally into you."

To look behind the curtain a bit here, I'm running this LP using a mix of actually playing through the game with our choices, and working out what the impacts of our choices are by looking at the code (which saves considerable amounts of time!). This is one of the few points where I wasn't entirely sure what would happen. There are broadly 4 paths to going through this game. A path where you're investigating alone, a path with Gunther as your investigative partner and then two possible romantic paths: a path with Dandy/Daisy as your investigative partner and a path with Lamuel/Leah as your investigative partner. Our choices in the last chapter definitely ruled out the alone path, and (as far as I can tell) also ruled out the Gunther path, but I wasn't sure which of Daisy's or Lamuel's paths we'd be on or whether we'd still get a chance to choose here. As it is, playing it out, it looks like refusing to have sex with Daisy and then attempting to kiss Lamuel has put us onto Lamuel's path, so I'll show one of Daisy's or Gunther's at the end of the LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

and Gunther's path sounds like it would be most interesting, I'd like to see that afterwards.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"I'd like to mingle with some of the guests, but I'll be out straight after."

Evertree posted:

Lamuel nods sincerely in understanding and says, "I'll look forward to it."

Then he exits the room, leaving you to choose where you would like to sit.

1. Go over and join Daisy.
2. Try to sit with Mr. Ga'arl the half-orc.
3. Sit alone.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Let's go chat with Daisy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Go over and join Daisy.

Evertree posted:

You head on over and Daisy responds with a wide grin, pushing out a chair for you to take with one of her black-leather-booted feet.

"You know, for a while there I thought you might choose the big guy over me," she teases with a gesture in the direction of the half-orc.

1. "No way! You were my first choice."
2. "I'm curious to know more about you."
3. "Who says I'm not just passing by?"
4. "I'm sorry, have we met?"
5. "I'm not the biggest fan of half-orcs."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

2 I'm :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter