Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ceric posted:

Welp. I picked up Chief :chiefsay: and got redistributed to a carrier. The last time I was on one was 2010. Going to be interesting.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Which home port? And congrats!

When I was in the last carrier I served on was the Bush, as a pre-comm deal. At the time there was some scuttlebut about Mayport investing in the improvements needed to handle a carrier. Did anything ever come of that?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I was in the last carrier I served on was the Bush, as a pre-comm deal. At the time there was some scuttlebut about Mayport investing in the improvements needed to handle a carrier. Did anything ever come of that?

Before my retirement last year there was no plans to improve their carrier pier to handle a nuke being stationed there. They can barely keep up with LCSRON needs. When Kennedy (last Mayport carrier) decommed all the carrier support buildings were given to whatever base tenants wanted them. Now most of them were taken back and given to LCS along with some new constructions and trailer parks. So the idea is scrapped for now and probably forever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Havent worked in the yards for over a year now due to this deployment. I just hope the kittyhawk is still in drydock when I get home so I can hopefully step on it before it's dragged off to the breakers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crab Dad posted:

Havent worked in the yards for over a year now due to this deployment. I just hope the kittyhawk is still in drydock when I get home so I can hopefully step on it before it's dragged off to the breakers.

Or they'll do another SINKEX.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 15, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or they'll do another SINKEX.

A SINKEX on a supercarrier is hilariously loving complicated since they're designed to avoid sinking at all costs. Also a potential ecological disaster waiting to happen because of the various contaminants in a 50+ year year old CV hull, and how hard it is to clean out a ship with 2000 interior spaces.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

A SINKEX on a supercarrier is hilariously loving complicated since they're designed to avoid sinking at all costs. Also a potential ecological disaster waiting to happen because of the various contaminants in a 50+ year year old CV hull, and how hard it is to clean out a ship with 2000 interior spaces.

It'd probably be cheaper to make her a museum.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

gently caress PSNS/Bremerton forever, but scavaging for parts on Carrier Row was pretty dope.

(E: the lunch spot in the shipyard will also be spared)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ceric posted:

Welp. I picked up Chief :chiefsay: and got redistributed to a carrier. The last time I was on one was 2010. Going to be interesting.

My condolences.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

orange juche posted:

I watched a documentary on this topic, perhaps in Netflix, a while ago. They turned a wwii carrier into an artificial reef but also used the experience to videotape how it sank to better improve their designs. I cannot remember the carrier, but it was an O name. Orinsky, or orkinsky, or something similar. It was kind of a neat special!

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
The Oriskany:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Oriskany_(CV-34)

Supposedly it’s a pretty cool dive, as one might imagine a sunken aircraft carrier would be.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Ceric posted:

Congrats! Was it from the new SOY program?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wonder Free posted:

The Oriskany:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Oriskany_(CV-34)

Supposedly it’s a pretty cool dive, as one might imagine a sunken aircraft carrier would be.

Very cool dive, but extremely easy to get in over your head, since the top of the mast is within recreational dive limits, barely (130ft), but the flight deck is at 145ft, hangar bay is at 175ft, and the bottom of the ship is at 212ft, which is well beyond recreational dive limits. Technical divers who are well prepped with ascent tanks and specialized gas mixes on the ascent line for decompression on the way up can make it down to the flight deck and even the hangar bay but amateurs aren't going to be doing it.

If you're recreational certified though, absolutely something worth chartering a dive on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I missed pilot chat, but you could just be like my buddy, go surface Nuke, make Chief after 7 years, pick up a degree while threading the needle with EAOS, then get released by NAVSEA08 from the nuclear community to go to pilot school, all while still looking like you're 15 years old.

Fucker.

Anyways, came to post this.

https://twitter.com/samthielman/sta...ingawful.com%2F

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm convinced that the Navy is content to let his career end unless POTUS intervenes.

Ceric
Aug 17, 2012

Carrier is out of San Diego so I don’t have to relocate so that’s good. Chief season was interesting due to COVID to say the least. I had some Gucci orders that I screened for but SURFWAR is packing everyone on ships right now.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Hey guys, I know I post infrequently/only when I need stuff, but I figured since you all helped guide my career a couple times I would offer some closure. Officially out of the Navy now and working at a gas turbine plant in the pacific north west, making more money than I did when I was in. Skipped on the reserves because I realized just how nice it was on the outside. Ket called it with the divorce but I am way happier now. The Navy can do good things for you. :)

Thank you all to everyone who helped make me less stupid.

FTN

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Hey guys, I know I post infrequently/only when I need stuff, but I figured since you all helped guide my career a couple times I would offer some closure. Officially out of the Navy now and working at a gas turbine plant in the pacific north west, making more money than I did when I was in. Skipped on the reserves because I realized just how nice it was on the outside. Ket called it with the divorce but I am way happier now. The Navy can do good things for you. :)

FTN
'
Another success story! Congratulations. I know we gave you a lot of poo poo throughout your career, but I'm genuinely glad you're on the green side of the fence.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

'
Another success story! Congratulations. I know we gave you a lot of poo poo throughout your career, but I'm genuinely glad you're on the green side of the fence.

I earned it, especially in the powers of attorney saga. Nothing bad came of that one but holy poo poo was I asking for trouble.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

FTN

Congratulations! Most of the gas turbine plants in the PNW are near some pretty good ski areas. If you have never been you should check them out.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Congratulations! Most of the gas turbine plants in the PNW are near some pretty good ski areas. If you have never been you should check them out.

I hit Shasta and it was a good time. I think I'm going to head to Bachelor soon. But when I drove through Utah I saw some resort towns that looked amazing. I am definitely going next year.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I hit Shasta and it was a good time. I think I'm going to head to Bachelor soon. But when I drove through Utah I saw some resort towns that looked amazing. I am definitely going next year.

My mom worked at Aspen for a couple years and it was a pretty cool spot.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I have an appointment with VES in an hour and I'm on the phone with them trying to figure out where it is because they keep sending me info for an appointment I have in a month over and over lol.

So my terminal leave was actually denied by the CO but I got two weeks instead so I'm basically on semi terminal leave, but I have to come back and work a couple shifts then I magically finally become a civilian. Eh. Also I get a decent chunk of change from all that unused leave now.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 18, 2021

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

So my terminal leave was actually denied by the CO

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dorstein posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!

An officer who is an rear end in a top hat? It's more likely than you think

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 19, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

US Berder Patrol posted:

have a fine navy day

I will do no such thing.

VA exam went well I think, don’t think I forgot anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Denied terminal? Time. To. Skate.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I do not understand denying terminal. Like, why? Jesus Christ. :ughh:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
A horrifying number of people in the USN believe happiness transfer is the mission.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I do not understand denying terminal. Like, why? Jesus Christ. :ughh:

I want to say they work at a hospital which might be short staffed. Even still, I don't understand denying it.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I thought terminal was akin to a right? Well at least you'll get paid for those days, though just at your base pay rate, which makes the whole thing a loving ripoff. Be sure to tell everyone to eat poo poo as you leave the base

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bachelor is really nice, and is the biggest ski area in Oregon. Park City in Utah is really nice as well, I like to go there and ski Deer Valley or the Park City Mountain Resort. Over in Idaho Sun Valley is really nice as well, but pretty posh. Mt. Hood has a couple different resorts that are very decent if you are nearby, and Timberline Lodge is where they shot the exterior shots of the Shining. The first time I went there it was wild, I didn't know that was the hotel used for the Overlook hotel and it was really kind of disconcerting.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
My guess is it's this: https://blog.usni.org/posts/2019/09/26/manimal-farm-a-scene-out-of-the-famous-orwell-book-revisited

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just forget about ever rising higher than O-6 if you decide to make it a career. =/

Langley's fine so long as you stay on your side of the Bay/James River and cross the bridge(s) as little as possible. As for Portsmouth Naval Hospital, I still have a three inch permanent scar on my abdomen from their surgical team doing an unnecessary hack job at 2am after making me wait 12+ hours in 1986 to remove my perfectly good appendix only to find out I had mesenteric adenitis. :toot:

NMCP is alot better now (it is not). I swear!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I have an appointment with VES in an hour and I'm on the phone with them trying to figure out where it is because they keep sending me info for an appointment I have in a month over and over lol.

So my terminal leave was actually denied by the CO but I got two weeks instead so I'm basically on semi terminal leave, but I have to come back and work a couple shifts then I magically finally become a civilian. Eh. Also I get a decent chunk of change from all that unused leave now.

you get less money for cashed out leave than if you take it as terminal. your co denying you terminal was a giant gently caress you to you personally as well as your getting out of the navy wallet

F T N
P A P E R C L I P

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don’t understand that. Like what if someone had a start date for their new job during their terminal?

FTN

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

I want to say they work at a hospital which might be short staffed. Even still, I don't understand denying it.

That is what the they say. The only thing we're actually short on is nurses, and since most of our nurses are retiring rather than separating they actually do get shitloads of terminal, lol.

ded posted:

you get less money for cashed out leave than if you take it as terminal. your co denying you terminal was a giant gently caress you to you personally as well as your getting out of the navy wallet

F T N
P A P E R C L I P

Well its not personal, they hosed everyone else who didn't retire the same way. They only get 48 more hours of shift work out me, and I'm most likely going to spend most of that time doing pullups in the back with the prior enlisted Marine nurse I usually work with and making my little sister's website than doing anything productive, so jokes on them!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I've been retired two months now. Last week I had a corpsman from Camp Pendleton call me up and remind me I need to do my annual PHA. I told her I was 2300 miles from there so I probably wasn't going to make the appointment.