Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

I feel like this entire game is still teetering on the "is it a scam" line, because for all the things they promised (and the dozen "most anticipated mmo 2015" award logos on their page + continual 'founders pack sign up for alpha now!!') it's still more or less an empty Unity demo with no actual content

eh, if you actually join one of the handful of clans that actually run fights, it could theoretically be fun, maybe

I joined because i got suckered in by videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTLY4eAdkQ

I kinda liked the fighting, it's a cross between wow-style and free-aiming (with like, simplistic cones for attacks and stuff) but the problem was you could NEVER get a fight and almost all my time (after grinding up a max level character which does, as advertised, take as little as 2 hours or even less) there was just no one, I was just running around looking for fights that rarely happened. the longer-playing people explained that you basically had to be in the bigass clans that actually did scheduled scrims and poo poo, or otherwise just had enough scouts to send their 10-20+ people out somewhere. it was neat to see warparties, boring that you couldn't actually fight anything.

even camping the fuckin bounty turnins, meh, people rarely showed up anywhere cause the world is WAY too fuckin big for their pissant population (300k players my rear end, 300k people pissed money on this)

also the crafting, my god the gates on crafting were dumb, if you wanted to be a decent crafter you basically had to buy the game then not play for 3 months while you unlocked the shitpick +1, now capable of breaking the 2nd-smallest rocks, now wait a couple more months before you can get the shitpick +2

like so much of the content was basically "hey how bout you stop playing this game for a few months and come back when your passives have unlocked the ability to play!"

and they didn';t even do the passives well, like the VERY first combat talent you have to unlock in the whole tree is some underwhelming as gently caress thing like "2% less chance to be crit by enemy players."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Why won't one of these dip poo poo studios just remake DAoC (Camelot Unchained doesnt count, because what the gently caress) and call it a day.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Biowarfare posted:

I feel like this entire game is still teetering on the "is it a scam" line, because for all the things they promised (and the dozen "most anticipated mmo 2015" award logos on their page + continual 'founders pack sign up for alpha now!!') it's still more or less an empty Unity demo with no actual content

Feel weird coming into this thread to defend it as I really don't want to, but really? You can fight other groups of people, take over forts, etc. That is the content. This isn't a theme park mmo.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

insider posted:

Feel weird coming into this thread to defend it as I really don't want to, but really? You can fight other groups of people, take over forts, etc. That is the content. This isn't a theme park mmo.

I loving love sandboxes and I hate themeparks, but there are barely any other groups of people, the game runs terribly on even the most modern hardware, for all intents and purposes it feels like tech demo quality, the pretty much "default for these things" font also doesn't really help it. It does not feel like it's evolved any moving from alpha to beta. The "campaigns" barely are a thing, it's effectively just scheduled fireball and slapfights with not much else in between.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I don't think its a scam, I just don't think its very fun

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

insider posted:

Yup, its ridiculous to call this a scam at this point. The game isn't very good but it's definitely there. Their biggest mistake was action combat imo, it just does not feel good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something can be not a scam and still definitively be a waste of money from which you will see no return in enjoyment. This isn't Star Citizen but I don't think it's ever going to materialize a meaningful set of gameplay or experiences beyond the occasional bits of vague, not terribly compelling content you can get in the beta now.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

malhavok posted:

The game isn't very good but it's definitely there.

New thread title right there.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just got a closed beta invite after forgetting about this game for years. Guess we'll see how it is doing. Any goons active at this point?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Just got a closed beta invite after forgetting about this game for years. Guess we'll see how it is doing. Any goons active at this point?

It is not doing good as everyone is constantly waiting for the 'next patch' to make it better.

Game isn't scam and will 100% be released but I think the chance it is good is less than 10% at this point. They just haven't been able to make that next step where it turns from jank to fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
theres a lot of good stuff in the game, but unfortunately its hidden underneath some truly abysmal performance and laggy big fights

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why they didn't just make a high-resolution high quality textured Wurm Online

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

insider posted:

It is not doing good as everyone is constantly waiting for the 'next patch' to make it better.

Game isn't scam and will 100% be released but I think the chance it is good is less than 10% at this point. They just haven't been able to make that next step where it turns from jank to fun.

eonwe posted:

theres a lot of good stuff in the game, but unfortunately its hidden underneath some truly abysmal performance and laggy big fights

There's a new thread title in here somewhere, but these might be the two most accurate statements in regards to this game ever made

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just got an email that they are, I dunno how to put it even, rereleasing the old siege test mode they had way back when? Except they're turning it into a carbon copy of Guild Wars 2's Eternal Battlegrounds? I assume this is a response to the fact that nobody is playing it and they can't possibly actually support an MMO of this particular garbage pile but man, what a look.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I heard they removed the passive skill system recently, what are they doing instead of that?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Nunes posted:

I heard they removed the passive skill system recently, what are they doing instead of that?

Wasting time to keep everyone employed for as long as possible?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nunes posted:

You buy passive skills/traits with gold now I believe? So it's just grind for your build.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Yeah they kind of arbitrarily killed the whole "EVE but with necromancy instead of ships" aspect by removing the EVE styled training. I asked about it on the forum for clarifications about what the replacement is and some forum PvPer hounded me for three pages for not being obsessed with the dev happenings of a game in alpha.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
so I take it that it will be a generic pvp mmo at this point?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

cancel your preorder if you can

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Capntastic posted:

Yeah they kind of arbitrarily killed the whole "EVE but with necromancy instead of ships" aspect by removing the EVE styled training. I asked about it on the forum for clarifications about what the replacement is and some forum PvPer hounded me for three pages for not being obsessed with the dev happenings of a game in alpha.

I believe the progression is mostly tied to character level, disciplines and talent points now. So you kill things (or sacrifice items) to level up, and gain discipline slots and talent points as you level. Disciplines are items you slot into the character that give you packages of passive and active skills as well as new places to stick talent points.

There is a fairly rudimentary tutorial / new player experience that takes you to like level 20?? or something I think. Cap is 30, at which point you need to get a new 'vessel' (ie a body), which you use to permanently upgrade a single character with slightly higher base stats, and the ability to go to level 31. 31 lets you equip a vessel that's one rarity higher, and this continues I think until 34 or 35 (I forget how many rarities there are).

Also the new 'hunger dome' is either a 12 (I think) team 5-player group battle royale, or some kind of crazy fever dream moba. In either case you're apparently fighting over keeps and resources in a timed match.

It runs better than it used to but it's still clunky as hell and doesn't behave very well with large groups.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They need to just make each temporary campaign Valheim with PvP and call it a day.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Reik posted:

They need to just make each temporary campaign Valheim with PvP and call it a day.

I think that was the original vision... they just lack the ability to do that.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Even my guild who many put in 100s of dollars and tons of time testing are starting to lose hope. Quote: "the game is nothing like what I felt like I was lead to believe they were developing".

At least I'll only be out the basic package.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Honestly in the early days there were some good fun moments & fights, but the pre-pre-alpha feeling of fighting the controls to even use my basic abilities never went away and it seems like it never will. I'm not asking for BDO over here, but wow came out in 2005, it's not a tough bar to clear.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
When I played last, a year ago, it all seemed basic but had a decent base for a game. I guess fleshing out an mmo is hard.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hi I'm really dumb and spent 50 bucks on this because I want to be a guinea pig conquistador. I never played Shadowbane and was only very loosely following the development of this game, I assume it's still faction-based PvP campaigns that reset for the most part?

I actually like the combat so far and the PvE world has been pretty fun but I wish they had better explanations for how resources work. The Duelist seems pretty straightforward but when I tried a Templar it doesn't seem like the class has a combo-point spender.

EDIT: I'm even dumber cuz I'm already messing around in another MMO or two, too, but being B2P with a funny short race is basically a siren song to me.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 9, 2021

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

PriNGLeS posted:

Anyone who idolizes shadowbane is broken brained.

alright pal, hey. Hey. *farts* alright, but

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet
Does $60 dollars get you a launcher that will launch the MMO before it fully downloads or not?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

nazca posted:

Does $60 dollars get you a launcher that will launch the MMO before it fully downloads or not?

not.

I keep trying different classes but I'll eventually get to the part where I go "this sucks", I'm sure

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

FrostyPox posted:

not.

I keep trying different classes but I'll eventually get to the part where I go "this sucks", I'm sure

Have you seen any goons playing in groups of two or more?

I'm wondering if it sucks because the game sucks or because tear extraction hasn't been effectively streamlined yet.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I haven't seen any goons that I know of. I'm still in the little PvE intro world trying to figure out which class I wanna play (It's still probably Duelist but Templar is also pretty cool). I have no idea if there's a goon presence still.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

FrostyPox posted:

I haven't seen any goons that I know of. I'm still in the little PvE intro world trying to figure out which class I wanna play (It's still probably Duelist but Templar is also pretty cool). I have no idea if there's a goon presence still.

It seems like it just be me and you. Do you want to set up a discord and we can at least group up on occasion?

Does any one have a guild they have purchased that is willing to let us use it?

I made a Nethari Confessor. Confessor's cleanse sin with fire like flaming freaking priests. They remind me of the red woman on game of thrones and frankly it's pretty bad rear end. I've got him up to level 29 and should be 30 by tonight he's a ranged DPS that uses damaging abilities to apply "sin" to the target, then uses other abilities that gain bonus' from the applied sin or simply consumes the sin for burst damage. The rotation seems like it was designed and thought out, I hope it's like this for other classes too. The rotation being "fun" is a different topic that I'm not ready to make a statement on. But, you can tell the class has had some work put into it.

35 seems like the max level, does any one understand the power differences between 30 and 35? Very little to my understanding.

My first hours involved figuring out how the game worked and leveling from 1 to 18'ish. That experience is VERY BORING. They need to completely overhaul this. It seems designed for some one who has never seen the game before and looks like it will be exponentially more boring as more classes are tried. I made it into the FvF world and basically just killed stuff I could find and sacrificed loot to level more 18-29. The gear I'm wearing ends up being slightly better than the highest purchasable at the temple vendors in FvF. I get all the way to level 29 without seeing any enemy players, even taking an outpost along the way.

I join the Guild v Guild world at level 29. I seem totally underpowered and it's difficult to get anything turned in for gold or experience without dying. I finally find another player who is PvP enabled. It's some horned monster with a giant sword. I try to communicate with him and he proceeds to beat me into the ground - thoroughly ganking me. I'm constantly confused as to whether my loot is going to drop or not. I get my body back with armor but no inventory. Did I have any inventory when I died? I can't remember. I'm sure I did.

Overall, the mechanics are there. They've built us a procedural world with resources and the tools to fight each other over them. We seem to be getting a very Eve loot drop feel in a fantasy setting. I can tell that I wont find much success by myself. With the siege mechanics being so important to gameplay - we'll want to be playing with at least 1 guineaciean (something something pack pig benefit) and some one who can build weapons, armor, horses, and buildings. A guild. We need a guild.

Lastly, it is very easy to see the sandbox nature of this game. As long as we can trade with any player in the game. (It seems we can - though I have yet to be able to test it) We can bribe, charge, steal, scam, gold and equipment from any one. I'm interested in running a protection racketeering scheme - and with the sandbox seemingly well designed. I think this is one of the few games where running a protection racketeering scheme as a gang or mafia can not only be possible mechanically, but profitable.

In Archeage, I racketed 20 gold of players to allow passage through roads of Yny - where my land was. If I can make something like that happen here - this game will be near perfect - imo. The missing "fun" that everyone seems to be missing needs to be filled with our creativity.

They only need to get us PvP'ers fighting each other to secure spawns and loot, so we can support the crafters who build us armor, horses, and siege weapons and defenses. I'm still too new at the game to tell you if this is currently done well - but it's definitely their goal. If you are an Eve, Albion, Full loot player - try this game and yell at them on the forums as much as you can to keep it a world pvp game with crafters making things for pvp'ers who fight each other in protection and benefit of their crafters. There is some clunkyness - it isn't perfect - but we already have lots of tear extraction tools.

They are literally building us castles to break right now.

nazca fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 10, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

nazca posted:

It seems like it just be me and you. Do you want to set up a discord and we can at least group up on occasion?

Does any one have a guild they have purchased that is willing to let us use it?

I made a Nethari Confessor. Confessor's cleanse sin with fire like flaming freaking priests. They remind me of the red woman on game of thrones and frankly it's pretty bad rear end. I've got him up to level 29 and should be 30 by tonight he's a ranged DPS that uses damaging abilities to apply "sin" to the target, then uses other abilities that gain bonus' from the applied sin or simply consumes the sin for burst damage. The rotation seems like it was designed and thought out, I hope it's like this for other classes too. The rotation being "fun" is a different topic that I'm not ready to make a statement on. But, you can tell the class has had some work put into it.

35 seems like the max level, does any one understand the power differences between 30 and 35? Very little to my understanding.

My first hours involved figuring out how the game worked and leveling from 1 to 18'ish. That experience is VERY BORING. They need to completely overhaul this. It seems designed for some one who has never seen the game before and looks like it will be exponentially more boring as more classes are tried. I made it into the FvF world and basically just killed stuff I could find and sacrificed loot to level more 18-29. The gear I'm wearing ends up being slightly better than the highest purchasable at the temple vendors in FvF. I get all the way to level 29 without seeing any enemy players, even taking an outpost along the way.

I join the Guild v Guild world at level 29. I seem totally underpowered and it's difficult to get anything turned in for gold or experience without dying. I finally find another player who is PvP enabled. It's some horned monster with a giant sword. I try to communicate with him and he proceeds to beat me into the ground - thoroughly ganking me. I'm constantly confused as to whether my loot is going to drop or not. I get my body back with armor but no inventory. Did I have any inventory when I died? I can't remember. I'm sure I did.

Overall, the mechanics are there. They've built us a procedural world with resources and the tools to fight each other over them. We seem to be getting a very Eve loot drop feel in a fantasy setting. I can tell that I wont find much success by myself. With the siege mechanics being so important to gameplay - we'll want to be playing with at least 1 guineaciean (something something pack pig benefit) and some one who can build weapons, armor, horses, and buildings. A guild. We need a guild.

Lastly, it is very easy to see the sandbox nature of this game. As long as we can trade with any player in the game. (It seems we can - though I have yet to be able to test it) We can bribe, charge, steal, scam, gold and equipment from any one. I'm interested in running a protection racketeering scheme - and with the sandbox seemingly well designed. I think this is one of the few games where running a protection racketeering scheme as a gang or mafia can not only be possible mechanically, but profitable.

In Archeage, I racketed 20 gold of players to allow passage through roads of Yny - where my land was. If I can make something like that happen here - this game will be near perfect - imo. The missing "fun" that everyone seems to be missing needs to be filled with our creativity.

They only need to get us PvP'ers fighting each other to secure spawns and loot, so we can support the crafters who build us armor, horses, and siege weapons and defenses. I'm still too new at the game to tell you if this is currently done well - but it's definitely their goal. If you are an Eve, Albion, Full loot player - try this game and yell at them on the forums as much as you can to keep it a world pvp game with crafters making things for pvp'ers who fight each other in protection and benefit of their crafters. There is some clunkyness - it isn't perfect - but we already have lots of tear extraction tools.

They are literally building us castles to break right now.

My IGN is FrostyPox. Like I said before I'm not playing super heavy since I'm already playing some other games but as soon as I finish levelling my new dude in FFXIV and if I can pry myself away from Rainbow Six I'll probably be on more. I'll probably stick with the Duelist but depending on how things play out I might do a Templar or Confessor alt down the line since they're pretty cool too. Ironically I don't play a lot of PvP MMOs but this seems like it could be fun, it's easier to get into than EVE was. Never played Albion.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 10, 2021

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

I was going to try duelist but went with confessor because of it's badassness. Duelist will be good though because of it's racial trait. Running pack pigs is an integral part of siege mechanics and the racial gives them a bonus to that. (Hard to explain as I don't have it fully figured - but to my understanding it's a significant benefit available only to guenicieans.)

Eve's problem for new players is every one else has collected so much stuff that they are nearly impossible to compete with. With capitals being so important to gameplay outside of highsec (The only real place to play.) a new player is locked out of that for years until they can correctly fly their first archon. They trained for archon by the way because it was significantly better than the other carriers in all aspects. They spent years doing this and now it's nerfed and they need a thanatos instead for the same reasons. You don't get to actually play Eve until about 4 years after you create your first character. (Capsuleers, I know there are a million thing's wrong with this statement. Just look at the resources of a 4 year old clone vs day 1.)

Eve has never had a great loot drop, world PvP alternative - not to mention a good fantasy alternative. (Shame on Archeage) I scratched the itch with Sea of Thieves. It's a great game full of pvp that I like - but not a persistent world. The things you do there stop affecting other players about as soon as your interaction is over. Albion is suggested by many to scratch the itch. I tried it. Had trouble getting into it simply because of it's top down view. The camera seems too close to me, I can't see anything around me and this makes it generally uncomfortable for me to try and PvP. Plus the mechanics just didn't seem particularly interesting to me beyond taking somebody's $100 horse - which isn't available in the store any more, I checked.

We've got something great brewing here with Crowfall. The persistence of Eve, but it resets offering closure instead of maintenance. Most old MMO's you would recognize people on your server. This was true even in wow's early days. You would fight the same group of people over and over and this looks like it will be true with Crowfall. Just, every now and then the server shuts down - you can take some of your stuff from the shut down server and bring it to a fresh start - rinse and repeat, new world and everything. All this including the look and feel of a Triple A MMO.

Thumbs up from me so far. The world just seems like it needs to be slightly more full of Crow's.

nazca fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 11, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The nice thing about the PvE stuff is that you level really fast and can at least get an idea for how your class works. I have my Duelist at 20, and I took Dirge for my promotion class. Melee CC seems interesting to me. Now I just need to figure out crafting so I can make myself some plate armor. Also took a Confessor to 19 for shits and grins and went Inquisitor. Both classes are pretty fun so far, we'll see how I feel whenever I get around to doing the real PvP stuff.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

insider posted:

Game clearly in alpha no matter what they say. Still think its making more progress than most other kickstarted MMOs but that is such a low bar.
Yep no friggin' way this should actually be in the public eye, it's quite impressive how poor it is.

I totally forgot about this game and got the beta invite last week or so, I didn't really have any expectations going in and not gonna lie only played for like... 5 minutes?
Right away the graphics are rear end with ugly characters and terrible framerate, my ugly horselady moves around as if stuck in molasses, some dudes tell me some things and to go kill some wolves somewhere I can't find because the map is useless and the UI is HUGE with BIG MENUS and buttons everywhere.

I did eventually find those wolves and found the combat is like every other tab target MMO but without the tab, good thing it was free.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I got into the beta without paying money so I thought "why not"

First 30minutes were ok, had some fun cutting trees and mining rocks.

Then moved to the second area where you do nation vs nation stuff and it's so dead and empty. The world doesn't feel fleshed out at all.

Why do I have a food meter too? Makes no sense.

This game is a trap, 5 years and in this state is garbage.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
If there's anyone still curious about this overly meh game, I randomly got 2 codes from an intel promo:

A1-D622-508EB693-49C3
A1-D6F5-547A74DB-85A4

Redeem here:
Crowfall.com/eternal-heroes-wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Dinurth posted:

If there's anyone still curious about this overly meh game, I randomly got 2 codes from an intel promo:

A1-D622-508EB693-49C3
A1-D6F5-547A74DB-85A4

Redeem here:
Crowfall.com/eternal-heroes-wanted

I grabbed the second one, thanks! I have been curious about this for a while, and if nothing else I’m hoping for good train wreck value out of it.