Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You guys need to chill out with the woke racism bullshit. Mentioning a race is not 'racist'.

Is everyone who's ever made a "Do the needful" joke a nazi racist white supremacist too?

I didn't say anything negative about Indians. I said if you don't spell your name to an American, they are not going to be able to figure out how to spell it. I used it as an example because that's the one that just happened.

It would apply to anyone who has a name that isn't common or well known to Americans. I spell my name for 'them'. I usually spell it for most anyone.

poo poo, if you're Polish you should probably spell your name out as well. Blachowicz isn't pronounced how it's spelled.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am absolutely shocked that an anti-masker is also racist.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

i am a moron posted:

My last name is a common household object with one letter added so I always have to spell it.
ah, I see you've been Knifey Spoony before

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

You guys need to chill out with the woke racism bullshit.

I didn't say anything negative about Indians. I said if you don't spell your name to an American, they are not going to be able to figure out how to spell it. I used it as an example because that's the one that just happened.

It would apply to anyone who has a name that isn't common or well known to Americans. I spell my name for 'them'. I usually spell it for most anyone.

poo poo, if you're Polish you should probably spell your name out as well. Blachowicz isn't pronounced how it's spelled.

This has nothing to do with point of origin. You can call out the need to clearly communicate across language barriers without making it about their cultural and racial identities. But you don't.

Of course you double down when challenged on it. I don't know why I'm surprised.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"If you have a Polish last name you should spell it for people over the phone"

*crickets*

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Interestingly and coincidentally to the racism, Abishek is the Tamil spelling, and Abhishek is the Hindu spelling, so maybe it's not the Joe of India name you thought.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

This has nothing to do with point of origin. You can call out the need to clearly communicate across language barriers without making it about their cultural and racial identities. But you don't.

It would be 'racist' if I made fun of their name, or mis-pronounced it on purpose. Not request them to spell it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

You guys need to chill out with the woke racism bullshit. Mentioning a race is not 'racist'.

Is everyone who's ever made a "Do the needful" joke a nazi racist white supremacist too?

Yes, definitely double down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh cool, the practise of reactionaries shouting 'woke' at everything that would require them to not be a dickhead to everybody has infected the USA as well

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh cool, the practise of reactionaries shouting 'woke' at everything that would require them to not be a dickhead to everybody has infected the USA as well

I thought it started here in the USA.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, definitely double down.

It's closer to tripling at this point.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

woke racism bullshit

And on the ignore list you go.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The point you were making wasn't inherently racist but the way you expressed that point definitely was. Maybe instead of trying to defend it, try learning about how you can make your point without doing that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KillHour posted:

The point you were making wasn't inherently racist but the way you expressed that point definitely was. Maybe instead of trying to defend it, try learning about how you can make your point without doing that.

^^^This.

Thanks for saying it so concisely. I struggle with that, sometimes.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Yikes

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Bob Morales posted:

It would be 'racist' if I made fun of their name, or mis-pronounced it on purpose. Not request them to spell it.

Dude. Just stop. Save what's left of your credibility.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

xzzy posted:

"Toxicity" is a relatively recent concept. Early in my career every office had people with "rough edges" one was expected to deal with. They usually had seniority or were impossible to fire due to their knowledge so anyone that had a problem was expected to deal.

Tolerance for it is dying out fast but obviously there's still holdouts.

Bob Morales posted:

If you're Indian and your name is not Anand, Deepak, or Abishek, spell your email address when you leave a voicemail for an American, or you're not going to hear back from us.

What a time to be alive

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I now realize that "if you're Indian" was not the best way to start that sentence.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Back to our regularly scheduled bitching.

DVR's are full. Boss says he has a script that can tell us which cameras are hogging most of the space. Cool, but we need to reduce retention time, now, or it's not going to help.

Output of script:

"If they are a triple or quad head camera they have the amounts in those colunns"

Row 1, 3, and 4 are triple/quad head cameras, but there's nothing in the individual columns. Data is bad, what else is wrong? Should I trust any of this data? Boss gets butthurt because I point out the inaccuracies of the script he found.

Either way, the quad/triple heads shouldn't be taking 10x more space than the single cameras so something is up with those.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

incoherent posted:

drat, that sucks dude. I love my VXrail implementation but I also paid for extreme hand holding through the implementation.

e: Oh I re-read and bought dell direct. VARs make a world of diffrence....never give your money directly to Dell.

Good news, everyone!

I got to fire our Dell deployment team this morning. They sent us an additional invoice last night for an extra $5k for 'changes made to service delivery dates'. My boss was incandescent with anger about it. So this morning they got the boot, and we're finding a VAR to handle a full greenfield redeploy of VXrail and IDPA. Huzzah! Bitching works!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

DVR's are full. Boss says he has a script that can tell us which cameras are hogging most of the space. Cool, but we need to reduce retention time, now, or it's not going to help.

Output of script:

"If they are a triple or quad head camera they have the amounts in those colunns"

Row 1, 3, and 4 are triple/quad head cameras, but there's nothing in the individual columns. Data is bad, what else is wrong? Should I trust any of this data? Boss gets butthurt because I point out the inaccuracies of the script he found.

Either way, the quad/triple heads shouldn't be taking 10x more space than the single cameras so something is up with those.

If there are differences in resolution or codec, yes that is entirely possible. If there are differences in the amount of motion detection, yes. Also why are you having to clear space? DVRs deleting oldest video to make space for new video was a feature in the late 90's.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Raerlynn posted:

Dude. Just stop. Save what's left of your credibility.

The racist anti-masker has credibility to save?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Also why are you having to clear space? DVRs deleting oldest video to make space for new video was a feature in the late 90's.

We've been running pretty close to the edge on capacity. He keeps saying "we didn't change anything", but when you're at say 90% utilization, adding even a handful of cameras its going to fill that gap pretty quick. I keep saying "but new cameras have been added" and it's met with a blank stare.

I think they also changed some cameras from 14 day retention to 30 days, which is doubling the amount of storage required for those cameras.

Back of the napkin math accounts for them adding close to 15 cameras, either by adding an actual new camera or increasing the retention periods for existing cameras. He'll try cranking the quality and resolution down but that won't do much in the short term.

The real solution here is add a third DVR for storage.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Antioch posted:

Good news, everyone!

I got to fire our Dell deployment team this morning. They sent us an additional invoice last night for an extra $5k for 'changes made to service delivery dates'. My boss was incandescent with anger about it. So this morning they got the boot, and we're finding a VAR to handle a full greenfield redeploy of VXrail and IDPA. Huzzah! Bitching works!

Nice! Yea we have a REALLY good VAR that has done all our Dell deployments, it has been a breeze. But our dell account team has also been really responsive. That SLED though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Evidence #2 not to give dell direct your money:

Literally got this email a year to the month after the implementation was over.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes, I wonder how the systems that break on passwords more than 8 characters or whatever handle usernames that can potentially be hundreds (first.last@-type at least) of characters long, or how the gently caress single sign on works with any kind of big iron

Not really related to the name thing, just almost never see legacy systems and had a wild thought

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Biowarfare posted:

Sometimes, I wonder how the systems that break on passwords more than 8 characters or whatever handle usernames that can potentially be hundreds (first.last@-type at least) of characters long, or how the gently caress single sign on works with any kind of big iron

Not really related to the name thing, just almost never see legacy systems and had a wild thought

Frequently, they just don't. Systems that make assumptions like this frequently leave people with names outside of what the developer considered "normal" unable to use those systems.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
do those things usually just exist totally outside of managed AD/LDAP/onelogin/saml/etc scope and when you have a need to use someone just runs adduser by hand?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not passing me off: my state broadened vaccine eligibility to everyone 16+ last week, I was able to book an appointment with no major issues and have now just had my first Pfizer dose

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

Not passing me off: my state broadened vaccine eligibility to everyone 16+ last week, I was able to book an appointment with no major issues and have now just had my first Pfizer dose

What state?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Alaska

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My state is loving it all up, officially only 65+ and first responders are on the list and my county even sent out mail this week saying that's not changing soon. But they let some regions choose their own rules so if you're willing to drive a couple hours to a spot that has doses you can get one through Walgreens, because capitalism.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m eligible March 29 and you can bet your rear end I’ll be lining right up

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Say what you will about Oklahoma, and I usually do, but we've got their poo poo together for this vaccine.

Stage 3 is open, and it's the majority of the population. There are more people in Stage 3 than stages 1, 2, and 4 combined. The vaccines are available through the state (with a consolidated portal and alerts system), through private companies, and via the Native American Tribes.

In fact, the Tribes have consistently lead the way. While the state, as a whole, is on Stage 3, the Tribes have managed to offer the vaccine to every tribal citizen and are now offering the vaccine to the Oklahoma population in general. Some are even doing walk-ins. Just show up, wait in line, get your jab.

My girlfriend gets her second shot Saturday. My second will happen around the 31st. My son got his first shot today. All three of us will be fully vaccinated by early April.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We're still in phase 1 here in NY with absolutely no communication on when that might change.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ConfusedUs posted:

Say what you will about Oklahoma, and I usually do, but we've got their poo poo together for this vaccine.

Stage 3 is open, and it's the majority of the population. There are more people in Stage 3 than stages 1, 2, and 4 combined. The vaccines are available through the state (with a consolidated portal and alerts system), through private companies, and via the Native American Tribes.

In fact, the Tribes have consistently lead the way. While the state, as a whole, is on Stage 3, the Tribes have managed to offer the vaccine to every tribal citizen and are now offering the vaccine to the Oklahoma population in general. Some are even doing walk-ins. Just show up, wait in line, get your jab.

My girlfriend gets her second shot Saturday. My second will happen around the 31st. My son got his first shot today. All three of us will be fully vaccinated by early April.

It really seems to me like a lot of people are discounting the scale effects, i.e. how required effort doesn't necessarily scale linearly with numbers. I'm not suggesting that Oklahoma is doing a bad job or anything, it sounds like they're doing a great job, but it's MUCH easier to meet the level of effort required to efficiently vaccinate 3.9 million people in OK than it is for the 39 million people in CA. Small inefficiencies at a site in OK aren't necessarily going to cause massive delays because perhaps a hundred people a day might be inconvenienced / slowed down, but those same expansions of time from inefficiency are going to drastically slow down the effort if the site is supposed to serve 1000 people a day. Sure, the answer is to massively parallelize and have 10 times more sites, but it's 10 times more organization/manpower required, 10 times more logistics, and of course there's just the bare necessity of 10 times more shots. I think it's a lot harder to scale things up than people imagine, as probably many people in these threads can attest to on the IT side (and computers are a lot easier to scale than people since most of the time they just do what you tell them to and aren't smoking pot in the break room). So I find it weird that people compare states 1 to 1 without taking that factor into consideration. For instance I have no idea how Wyoming is doing, but if their entire population isn't vaccinated by April then they're incredibly incompetent - California is vaccinating 3/4 of Wyoming's population per DAY. Yeah yeah, Wyomans are spread out, I'm not saying they should all be vaccinated in two days, but point remains there are vast differences just in the number of people to be vaccinated per state, it's a lot more effort to jab more people, and you can't just blithely go "eh my state's doing much better because we're almost all vaccinated".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I live in Ontario lmao

Seriously considering a visit to California this summer depending on how our rollout goes. Dual citizenship finally doing something for me other than thousands of dollars of additional taxes

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It really seems to me like a lot of people are discounting the scale effects, i.e. how required effort doesn't necessarily scale linearly with numbers. I'm not suggesting that Oklahoma is doing a bad job or anything, it sounds like they're doing a great job, but it's MUCH easier to meet the level of effort required to efficiently vaccinate 3.9 million people in OK than it is for the 39 million people in CA. Small inefficiencies at a site in OK aren't necessarily going to cause massive delays because perhaps a hundred people a day might be inconvenienced / slowed down, but those same expansions of time from inefficiency are going to drastically slow down the effort if the site is supposed to serve 1000 people a day. Sure, the answer is to massively parallelize and have 10 times more sites, but it's 10 times more organization/manpower required, 10 times more logistics, and of course there's just the bare necessity of 10 times more shots. I think it's a lot harder to scale things up than people imagine, as probably many people in these threads can attest to on the IT side (and computers are a lot easier to scale than people since most of the time they just do what you tell them to and aren't smoking pot in the break room). So I find it weird that people compare states 1 to 1 without taking that factor into consideration. For instance I have no idea how Wyoming is doing, but if their entire population isn't vaccinated by April then they're incredibly incompetent - California is vaccinating 3/4 of Wyoming's population per DAY. Yeah yeah, Wyomans are spread out, I'm not saying they should all be vaccinated in two days, but point remains there are vast differences just in the number of people to be vaccinated per state, it's a lot more effort to jab more people, and you can't just blithely go "eh my state's doing much better because we're almost all vaccinated".

Oh, absolutely.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

If you're Indian and your name is not Anand, Deepak, or Abishek, spell your email address when you leave a voicemail for an American, or you're not going to hear back from us.
Which nationalities or ethnicities do you reply to? Please list them out.

Bob Morales posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If you refer to calling out discrimination as "woke racism bullshit", it's very obvious that the lived experiences of marginalised people don't mean a whole lot to you, even when they tell you why what you are saying or doing is offensive. Furthermore, referring to the calling out of the discrimination pejoratively as "woke racism bullshit" clearly shows the entire concept is disdainful to you, and the fact that anyone said anything to you about it, it's their fault for upsetting you and/or being upset themselves and that they need to "chill out".

"Is everyone who's ever made a "Do the needful" joke a nazi racist white supremacist too?"
Joking about that phrase minimises the contributions of Indian co-workers, but your comparison of joking about that phase to your relatively serious post about not replying to Indian people whose names are difficult for you to spell, i.e. literal actual discrimination in a professional setting is an entirely inappropriate comparison; it's like comparing a papercut to a hard kick in the balls.

"I didn't say anything negative about Indians. I said if you don't spell your name to an American, they are not going to be able to figure out how to spell it. I used it as an example because that's the one that just happened."
Lets say a hiring manager never says anything bad about black people, but when black people apply for a job in his department, they never get a call back and they never get the job.
His department is a sea of white people.
He didn't have to say anything negative about black people to be a racist rear end in a top hat.
Much in the same way you didn't have to call any Indian people any sort of ethnic slur to be a racist rear end in a top hat.

"I spell my name for 'them'."
What other ways do you refer to people who do not share your ethno-national sensibilities?
Do you have different ways of referring to everyone who isn't the same as you?
What categories/boxes do you put them in?
Please list them out and include all manner of terminology/slurs/groupings.

Bob Morales posted:

Thank you for clearing that up. In the future, may we come to you to ask what is and isn't racist?
Perhaps the NAACP can put you on retainer before they raise issues, just so that they don't waste their time on things that may not be 'racist'. Thank you for being the expert in our midst.

Bob Morales posted:

"If you have a Polish last name you should spell it for people over the phone"

*crickets*
Why? Are Polish names inherently hard to spell or pronounce to everyone, i.e. it's axiomatically true all Polish names are difficult? Or are they just that way to you? Is your ethno-nationalistic viewpoint the most important and should be catered to always?
What other ethno/nation-origin of names should we make easier for you to understand or spell often?

Bob Morales posted:

I now realize that "if you're Indian" was not the best way to start that sentence.
But you said it wasn't racist. So why is that beginning of that sentence bad?

Bob Morales posted:

DVR's are full....
Ah yes, you've now decided it's time to move on from your racism. I'm glad you've now made that decision for us. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think that's a good place to leave it. I appreciate you all. Bob's got 3 days of no posting time to think and do some reading on the topic, and we'll keep ramping if poo poo continues. Unless you've got something informative/insightful you're burning to share, let's move on.