Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not sure if I enjoy Dave victory laps or name drops more but they are both beautiful in their own way.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1372230844404756480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Paul Wight on the Jericho podcast is a very good listen, and pretty much confirms a lot of what we suspected about WWE treating him like poo poo

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Benne posted:

Paul Wight on the Jericho podcast is a very good listen, and pretty much confirms a lot of what we suspected about WWE treating him like poo poo

I’ll second this as just an incredibly good podcast episode. TIJ is extremely hit or miss for me but this one was incredibly good.

Definitely check it out. Some jaw dropping stuff in this.

I’ll add this too as an edit:

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1372297137405452289?s=21

ICR fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 17, 2021

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I listened to it too, and I'm kind of convinced that Big Paul was just trying to convince himself he wasn't used/abused by the WWE. He had to keep clarifying "I'm not bitter, but" (Tells a horrific story about the Vince specifically or the WWE)

Mox kept telling antidotes about how Vince kept breaking him down so slowly that he didn't realize he was cutting a promo about Roman's cancer until he had already turned down a bunch of smaller things for the same promo, and Mox still considers Roman as one of his best friends and felt gross about it.

Big Show kept talking about really lovely stories that happened over the last 20 years. Paul buying an inflatable mattress for a long flight because he couldn't fit in seats and wanted to sleep only to find out that Vince cut his air mattress out to make himself out is such a lovely thing for a person to do. Vince has the maturity of a middle school bully.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its annoying to me that the wwe freaks have internalized the vince talking point that anyone who says a bad word about their time there is bitter because it clearly makes all these guys so wary of being accused of that. must go all the way back to bret who was accused of being bitter for being hosed out of his contract, double-crossed on live ppv, and having his brother killed. paul wight should feel free to go on a podcast and passionately say that he escaped a cult dedicated to producing dogshit television and someone should assassinate vince

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

There’s enough people who allude it’s prison, they want to leave, there’s tons of problems and it gets to a point where you say,

“You know, maybe they’re right and it’s not just single cases.”

You hear more negative there than positive, even from the bootlickers.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

paul was always treated as a joke but i've always thought he's a tremendous performer and talker. i hope he gets to strut his stuff in AEW

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Howling at Dave's nitpick about MJF's age

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

ICR posted:

I’ll second this as just an incredibly good podcast episode. TIJ is extremely hit or miss for me but this one was incredibly good.

Definitely check it out. Some jaw dropping stuff in this.

I’ll add this too as an edit:

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1372297137405452289?s=21

"You and I know when to step off a sinking ship, don't we?"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Joey McChrist posted:

paul was always treated as a joke but i've always thought he's a tremendous performer and talker. i hope he gets to strut his stuff in AEW

I think he will. He's a natural for color commentary (I thought he did a pretty good job on Elevation) and AEW is a work environment that encourages and incentivizes the talent to help each other improve.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

I think he will. He's a natural for color commentary (I thought he did a pretty good job on Elevation) and AEW is a work environment that encourages and incentivizes the talent to help each other improve.

They also put him with a 35 year rejuvenated vet who personally likes him. He wasn't terrible, and he'll likely get better.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also put him with a 35 year rejuvenated vet who personally likes him. He wasn't terrible, and he'll likely get better.

That's what I'm getting at - they put him with a commentary veteran who's also his friend to get him settled into this new role. AEW wants him to be good and will make sure he has every opportunity to get there.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I almost don't want to listen to recaps of AEW because they're going to nitpick about Rosa/Baker. Dave has already referred to Abyss/Jarrett and TNA of all things in talking about it. (His point being they shouldn't do it repeatedly, but still.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He didn’t nitpick it in the slightest, said it was one of the best American women’s matches ever.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He didn’t nitpick it in the slightest, said it was one of the best American women’s matches ever.

Dave did get bent out of shape over the idea of a lights out match on tv

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Dave did get bent out of shape over the idea of a lights out match on tv

“That’s trivial” were his words
“I don’t worry about it. That’d just be nitpicking”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I laughed at Bryan saying "I'm staying off your timeline tomorrow" to Dave

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Listening to the Big Show on TIJ now and I can't believe they wouldn't let Show customize a food truck and make burgers for fans during WM weekend. That would have ruled and I hope he gets to do that for AEW sometime.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tall Paul's Perogies, now serving in the concession stand

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
is there a specific reason why Vince treats Big Show like absolute poo poo? Is it just because he got fat and lazy in the 00s? Because I remember hearing on shoots how Vince would practically salivate over Paul when he was in WCW, fantasizing about what he could book with a guy like that, and then he ended up being a complete joke for 20 years

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Low Desert Punk posted:

is there a specific reason why Vince treats Big Show like absolute poo poo?

I think it is his attachment style for every human being not named Shawn Michaels

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Listening to the Big Show on TIJ now and I can't believe they wouldn't let Show customize a food truck and make burgers for fans during WM weekend. That would have ruled and I hope he gets to do that for AEW sometime.
This is the worst thing Vince has ever done

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Tall Paul's Perogies, now serving in the concession stand

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

is there a specific reason why Vince treats Big Show like absolute poo poo? Is it just because he got fat and lazy in the 00s? Because I remember hearing on shoots how Vince would practically salivate over Paul when he was in WCW, fantasizing about what he could book with a guy like that, and then he ended up being a complete joke for 20 years

WCW guy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ultimately Vince hates something that isn't 100% his own creation even if he wants someone in his promotion if he didn't build them up from nothing he doesn't care if he misuses them especially if they gently caress up once. Only exception might be like...Hulk Hogan.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Great match. My only nitpick was that Rosa and Britt both wiped the blood off their face so by the end you could only just barely tell Rosa was bleeding but Britt went deep so after Rebel wiped her eyes it came back pretty quick.

CombineThresher posted:

They didn't stop him, they just wanted him to front a million bucks for it, pay them a million bucks for it later, and also take a large percentage because after all they were the ones risking their valuable "Big Show" brand name. It seems totally reasonable to me :rolleyes:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

This is pretty much how he treats everyone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The stories about Vince turning the heat up and puncturing Paul's bed... like... they weren't funny at all. I was just thinking "what a prick"

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

The stories about Vince turning the heat up and puncturing Paul's bed... like... they weren't funny at all. I was just thinking "what a prick"

He and Jericho both accurately describe it as juvenile bullying, but they were giggling as they did it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Vince booked Paul like poo poo in 1999 then blamed him for not getting over as a giant.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

hard to believe that booking the dude as a weeping coffin surfing dipshit didn't get him over

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Coffin surfing was extremely cool

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

it was great to watch but i'm skeptical of how much it helped big paul

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

smikey posted:

He and Jericho both accurately describe it as juvenile bullying, but they were giggling as they did it.

Because all wrestlers from their era were juvenile bullies.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Big Show 99 is one of the worst booked years for any wrestler ever, yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Howling at Dave's nitpick about MJF's age

All I could think while listening to that was if MJF had said,"I'm 25-years-old!" then Dave would have been saying,"Well technically he filmed it last week so he was actually 24 when he cut the promo..." :allears:

CombineThresher posted:

I've only read a brief recap of the podcast but from my understanding WWE was willing to do it.... but only if Big Show paid them a 7 figure sum up front for the right to do so and then another 7 figure sum the next year? :psyduck:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It doesn't even need the stupid Big Show branding. Just call it Paul Wight Castle and watch the money pile up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

flashy_mcflash posted:

It doesn't even need the stupid Big Show branding. Just call it Paul Wight Castle and watch the money pile up

Paul Wight: I don't understand how we went bankrupt, everybody loved the little sliders I made.
Weeping Accountant: They were only little in YOUR hands :cripes:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
"Well we're still selling tons of the knockout punch right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Laughing my rear end off at the idea of Dark Order matches on AEW Dark being pushed up because Brodie Lee Jr. is getting tired and wants to go home.