Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Harik posted:

I had it in my cart but their server utterly melted under the bot onslaught. got all the way through the capcha but it was gone

so much for "significant stock" lol

How do the bots get past capchas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

OhFunny posted:

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/7944/rx-6700-xt-discussion-and-faq

Microcenter says each of their locations has 70 or so 6700XTs in stock for launch and they do show on the website when I looked at the one closest to me.

The ratio is 20 refrence cards at $480 and 60 at $700-800.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

The Grumbles posted:

How do the bots get past capchas?

you pay cambodians 5c to solve them. There's an entire infrastructure for buying capcha solves.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

ufarn posted:

Quite late for them to pull this, but at least you're not locked into more than one month now.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1372539607905099777

Maybe I'll give it ago, what with the current 3080 situation. :smith:

I wished they would have warned that a price increase was on the horizon, sigh

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

OhFunny posted:

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/7944/rx-6700-xt-discussion-and-faq

Microcenter says each of their locations has 70 or so 6700XTs in stock for launch and they do show on the website when I looked at the one closest to me.

Yep, all 3 of the NYC microcenters have various models in stock right now, if anyone was so inclined to pick one up. But some of them are up to $800+...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Ok that’s why I got an email this morning about my founders account price being locked in for life.

$4.99 forever!

Oh yeah, feeling pretty good about getting in last year.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I signed up for one of the Stock Alert discord servers, and of course an alert for in stock 3080s popped while I was asleep last night.

Granted it was Zotac, which I've heard isn't the best? I dunno. I really wanted EVGA... I've used EVGA almost exclusively for years :(

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Annath posted:

I signed up for one of the Stock Alert discord servers, and of course an alert for in stock 3080s popped while I was asleep last night.

Granted it was Zotac, which I've heard isn't the best? I dunno. I really wanted EVGA... I've used EVGA almost exclusively for years :(

FWIW I had a Zotac 980 that, until 2 weeks ago, ran just fine for years.

It did finally give out a few weeks ago, but luckily I'd gotten a new PC with a 3080, so I was able to replace it for my wife with a 2080TI

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Annath posted:

the alerts will sell out in literal seconds, and at the moment hesitating about the manufacturer will most likely prevent you from getting it tbh. set yourself a goal (ie, 3070, 3080, w/e) and a price range (iirc you said 900 dollars) and jump on any you find.

if you wind up not liking it you can flip it, right now, and probably turn it into more money. but it involves risk obviously.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Annath posted:

You probably heard that in 2017 when it was true :)

The Trinity coolers are a bit toasty, but the Amp Holos are fine, and performance-wise there's not enough of a difference between the AIBs to wring one's hands about.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Annath posted:

https://i.imgur.com/tzQjECm.mp4

Dude, where's my graphics card?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Zotac is fine

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

change my name posted:

Yep, all 3 of the NYC microcenters have various models in stock right now, if anyone was so inclined to pick one up. But some of them are up to $800+...

Back when the 3060 Ti came out, I was in line for one. They hand out vouchers for the cards before they open and you have several hours to pick one up, so the actual amount available is probably zero, despite what the site says.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Amazing scenes in the UK as a few places have managed to keep stock for multiple days now, massively marked up naturally so it's £500+ for a 3060 but still.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x103xt7htjE

here's an interesting video of someone trying to see what they could get out of an 11th gen Intel laptop's Xe graphics

it's an i7-1185G7 (what a mouthful) which has 96 Execution Units on its iGPU, along with 16 GB of RAM running on quad-channel

the good news is that he was able to run Watch Dogs Legion (beating the Ryzen 4300U's Vega 5), Microsoft Flight Simulator, Control, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Wolfenstein Youngblood

Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla did not run well due to driver issues - something I imagine Intel will have to get better at once they're more firmly in the GPU game (it's not like an Intel dev ever had to worry about making UHD compatible with CP2077 before)

the bad news is that when it comes to the Rocket Lake desktop CPUs:

* the best UHD graphics on offer only has 32 Execution Units for the i5-11500 and higher
* the i5-11400 has even fewer, at just 24 EUs
* the i3's and Pentiums aren't even Rocket Lake parts, just Comet Lake refreshes, and so are still on the old UHD 630

... so even if you could duplicate the quad-channel memory and take advantage of a desktop's fully unlocked thermal and power limits, you're probably not going to duplicate these results on a desktop

but it's a start

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Annath posted:

I bought a zotac 1060 a few years ago and it ran great, until I spilled bong water in my case and toasted the card.

I then cleaned it up and RMA'd it and they honored the loving warranty*. I will say nothing but good things about them. The replacement card is still running strong, and it looks like I'll be stuck with it for the foreseeable future so knock on wood my luck holds.

*to be fair I mentioned nothing about spilling liquid on the card, and hedged my bets that I cleaned up enough corrosion to not get called out.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've managed to get my hands on roughly half a dozen PS5s for friends who've been seeking them out. One of my buddies, knowing I've generally been on top of that kind of thing, asked me to help him get a 3080

I was not ready for the sheer scale of competition for these cards, nor the supply challenges between bitcoin and chip shortages

This will be my white whale for the next couple months I imagine

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Annath posted:

Check my post history in this thread for a guide on how to get a Zotac card. Because of their garbage website their inventory sometimes stays in stock for as much as 10-20 minutes but you have to know how to hammer through the error pages to have a (pretty good) chance of getting a card.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I've managed to get my hands on roughly half a dozen PS5s for friends who've been seeking them out. One of my buddies, knowing I've generally been on top of that kind of thing, asked me to help him get a 3080

I was not ready for the sheer scale of competition for these cards, nor the supply challenges between bitcoin and chip shortages

This will be my white whale for the next couple months I imagine

i've found ps5s at least as hard to get as 3070s. how did you find the ps5s?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

After I asked for help regarding my GPU undervolting etc. I decided to open up the laptop and clean it reapply the paste because I should not be getting 92c on Attack on Titan 2.

GPU fans seemed OK (only replaced them a year ago) but paste job didn't seem... great. I used the X method for the first time that I saw in a youtube video that compared all the various pasting methods. The dot I used last time is... the WORST

Then I looked at the CPU because it shouldn't be that hot and good GOD

This time I used a line instead of a dot

Haven't booted up any games yet but... here's hoping

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Yesterday I was able to order a FTW3 3080 direct from EVGA's notification queue. I think I signed up on September 21st or so but I don't recall exactly. I know that I wasn't one of the first ones so if you're in the queue don't give up hope yet.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Found someone on Facebook "selling" a 3080 for $1300 (listed as $500). I was gonna buy it because that's still better than $2400, but when I expressed interest, all of a sudden she says she can't ship it through Facebook at $1300.

I tell her I need to have the purchase protection of buying through the Marketplace, and get radio silence.

I assume she was trying to scam me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Annath posted:

Found someone on Facebook "selling" a 3080 for $1300 (listed as $500). I was gonna buy it because that's still better than $2400, but when I expressed interest, all of a sudden she says she can't ship it through Facebook at $1300.

I tell her I need to have the purchase protection of buying through the Marketplace, and get radio silence.

Yeah whenever someone does a weird bait and switch type of thing like that they're almost certainly doing a scam and trying to avoid getting caught by the website they're working through.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Booyah- posted:

i've found ps5s at least as hard to get as 3070s. how did you find the ps5s?

Walmart drops are easy - use the add-to-checkout link during the drops, refresh until it adds to your cart, have your billing/shipping info logged so you can do it in a couple clicks once it lands. Otherwise, just do the psdirect roulette every week and you'll get lucky eventually

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Walmart drops are easy - use the add-to-checkout link during the drops, refresh until it adds to your cart, have your billing/shipping info logged so you can do it in a couple clicks once it lands. Otherwise, just do the psdirect roulette every week and you'll get lucky eventually

Does the add to cart link look something like this? https://affil.walmart.com/cart/addToCart?items=363472942

Otherwise trying to add to cart from the listing page itself has never worked for me

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought the implementation in Cyberpunk 2077 was fine in theory: give the game a target frame-rate to shoot for, and the game will downscale the render resolution in real-time to try and match it as close as it can

I believe Apex Legends has a similar option you can toggle, and so does Quake 2 RTX

obviously that's not anywhere near the same as "DLSS", since we know that a fluctuating reduction in render resolution to maintain a target frame rate is going to make the game look like smeared poo poo if the resolution has to tank really low, but I think it's a feature more games should have as far as simplifying a lot of the work in trying to optimize your graphical settings

Yeah it sounds fine, too bad (like many many other things) it doesn't work, and just pegs you to the lowest possible quality all the time.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Annath posted:

Sadly, I'd assume that anyone trying to resell a 3080 for significantly under $2000 right now is probably a scam

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
What's the difference between a $400 Product X card and an $800 Product X card? I know MSRP is a pipe dream at the moment, but it seems crazy that the price delta on different 6700 XT cards is $400.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Alan_Shore posted:

After I asked for help regarding my GPU undervolting etc. I decided to open up the laptop and clean it reapply the paste because I should not be getting 92c on Attack on Titan 2.

GPU fans seemed OK (only replaced them a year ago) but paste job didn't seem... great. I used the X method for the first time that I saw in a youtube video that compared all the various pasting methods. The dot I used last time is... the WORST

Then I looked at the CPU because it shouldn't be that hot and good GOD

This time I used a line instead of a dot

Haven't booted up any games yet but... here's hoping

The dot vs X method does not really matter. I think the issue is that you are just using waaaay too much thermal paste.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mA posted:

Sadly, I'd assume that anyone trying to resell a 3080 for significantly under $2000 right now is probably a scam

one on CL was listing for retail and in my city. I email them

they're in a city hundreds of miles away

no they aren't going to be in my city

are they even loving trying?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fletcher posted:

The dot vs X method does not really matter. I think the issue is that you are just using waaaay too much thermal paste.

Yeah I was gonna say that kinda looks like a lot of paste.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well I tried the pea method, and it sorta messed up. Then I just copied this guy from YouTube as best I could who tried a whole bunch of methods. Gpu temps have dropped around 10c so that's promising... I loving hate pasting!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Over the last couple of days I've started seeing new RTX 2060 cards in stock from reputable retailers for £400, which is about £50 less than the 3060 is going for over here for the 5 seconds a week that it's in stock.

What's the performance difference like on a 2060 Vs 3060 for 1080p gaming? Obviously £400 is a hefty markup over RRP but given the state of the market ATM I'm starting to seriously consider it.

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 19, 2021

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blunt posted:

Over the last couple of days I've started seeing new RTX 2060 cards in stock from reputable retailers for £400, which is about £50 less than the 3060 is going for over here for the 5 seconds a week that it's in stock.

What's the performance difference like on a 2060 Vs 3060 for 1080p gaming? Obviously £400 is a hefty markup over RRP but given the state of the market ATM I'm starting to seriously consider it.

Save your money.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

blunt posted:

The 2060 super is really close to a 3060. If you need a card, buy it, but if not I’d get a 30 series or the new 6700xt. A 3060ti at msrp is the “budget” card to get so far this generation IMO.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 19, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Alan_Shore posted:

Well I tried the pea method, and it sorta messed up. Then I just copied this guy from YouTube as best I could who tried a whole bunch of methods. Gpu temps have dropped around 10c so that's promising... I loving hate pasting!

Yeah it is a bit of a pain! My method is usually to put a pea sized dab in the middle, take a picture of it, and use a gloved finger to spread it evenly over the heat spreader, basically getting it as thin as possible. I get very close to the edges but not right up to them. Then put the heatsink on (applying pressure as evenly as possible in the process) and do what you gotta do to tighten it down. Then remove the heatsink and inspect everything to see how you did with the coverage. Carefully clean everything up on the CPU and heatsink and then do it again, adjusting the amount of paste if necessary (using the picture to compare amounts). Connect everything back up and run a benchmark and check temperatures to confirm everything is good to go. It is deceiving how little paste you need to make contact, I basically smear it with my finger with a decent amount of pressure, it's almost like there's no thickness to it once it's spread out.

Now somebody can point out why my method is flawed :D

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alan_Shore posted:

With GPUs you absolutely do want to pre-spread it, there isn’t a heatspreader to “average” the hotspots so if you have spots that don’t get covered you can potentially damage the die.

So don’t do a “pattern”, put down some paste and spread it evenly. Dot or line is fine, complex patterns have more risk of creating an air bubble where the two lines meet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

With GPUs you absolutely do want to pre-spread it, there isn’t a heatspreader to “average” the hotspots so if you have spots that don’t get covered you can potentially damage the die.

So don’t do a “pattern”, put down some paste and spread it evenly. Dot or line is fine, complex patterns have more risk of creating an air bubble where the two lines meet.

For the record for both that cpu and GPU, there is no heat spreader, so he needs to apply an extremely thin layer across the entire die surface on both chips.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

fletcher posted:

As long as you clean up the excess that squeezees out the sides, there is no harm in using more paste. It doesn't cool worse.

E: or maybe I'm wrong because gpu coolers lack enough clamping force to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The short of it is as long as it covers the die/IHS, using too much doesn't really matter. Fractions of a degree.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3346-thermal-paste-application-benchmark-too-much-thermal-paste