Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

some plague rats posted:

This might just be one of the weirdest defenses of someone saying racist poo poo that I've ever heard? I know all Gen Xers want to be excused from adulthood but that doesn't mean we should allow it
It's like saying "my dad can't change, he's old school segregation-era racist so I just let it slide". Hell, it took me years to get my grandfather to stop calling Asians "Orientals", but I fuckin' did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

It's like saying "my dad can't change, he's old school segregation-era racist so I just let it slide". Hell, it took me years to get my grandfather to stop calling Asians "Orientals", but I fuckin' did it.

Yeah my grandads sense of humour "crystallized" in the loving 50s but did we let him go around saying the n-word and having a good time with it? And he was family, not a total stranger! Just a baffling defense all around

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Was he doing it more recently than 2013? (Bean dad, not your grandparents) I’m not advocating for a statute of limitations but if he hadn’t tweeted out racist poo poo in over half a decade that might be an indicator that he may have made some changes. That said he shouldn’t have done it to begin with of course.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Warbird posted:

Was he doing it more recently than 2013? (Bean dad, not your grandparents) I’m not advocating for a statute of limitations but if he hadn’t tweeted out racist poo poo in over half a decade that might be an indicator that he may have made some changes. That said he shouldn’t have done it to begin with of course.

Don’t you know anyone over 40 is evil and unable to grow or learn. Really, the Zoomers should just drive us into the wilderness to perish from the elements.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Don’t you know anyone over 40 is evil and unable to grow or learn. Really, the Zoomers should just drive us into the wilderness to perish from the elements.

Nobody on here called him evil or actively practicing racism. But he was real loving stupid on social media and never deleted any of it, so it should not at all be surprising that when people found it that all the very visible media he was a part of backed away from him.

No, he doesn't get a pass, and no show in their right mind would shoulder the burden of now having to constantly defend why they kept on n-word dad.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I never said he wasn’t stupid. He was real loving stupid. I think the response was real loving asymmetric, though. Did you know CPS got sent to his house and interviewed his daughter?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Marsupial Ape posted:

I never said he wasn’t stupid. He was real loving stupid. I think the response was real loving asymmetric, though. Did you know CPS got sent to his house and interviewed his daughter?

Perhaps he shouldn't have tweeted about how he refused to let his daughter eat while she cried. CPS was probably an overreaction but its his own fault, "you don't get to eat for 6 more hours after you were already hungry until you solve this task I refuse to help you with and that I have already admitted you have problems dealing with this type of task" is a pretty lovely thing to do to a 9 year old

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 19, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Piell posted:

Perhaps he shouldn't have tweeted about how he refused to let his daughter eat while she cried. CPS was probably an overreaction but its his own fault, "you don't get to eat for 6 more hours after you were already hungry until you solve this task I refuse to help you with and that I have already admitted you have problems dealing with this type of task" is a pretty lovely thing to do to a 9 year old

Perhaps you shouldn’t take every heightened story somebody tells online seriously, especially when that person is known for telling heightened stories. His daughter wasn’t being abused in the least bit.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Marsupial Ape posted:

Perhaps you shouldn’t take every heightened story somebody tells online seriously, especially when that person is known for telling heightened stories. His daughter wasn’t being abused in the least bit.

If you don't want CPS called on you don't write a story about you're an abusive dad while pretending it's real

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Lol of course this thread is pro calling the cops because it was someone they don’t like

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
One person isn't "the thread". I think the bean dad story was dumb, but I also don't care about it and I don't think anyone should have called CPS based on it. And if he had just told a dumb story, he'd still have all his shows.

The fact he never deleted all those tweets while he was growing in fame was just idiotic, because there was no way any show could keep him once people saw them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

Did you know CPS got sent to his house and interviewed his daughter?

Perhaps you shouldn’t take every heightened story somebody tells online seriously, especially when that person is known for telling heightened stories?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

One person isn't "the thread". I think the bean dad story was dumb, but I also don't care about it and I don't think anyone should have called CPS based on it. And if he had just told a dumb story, he'd still have all his shows.

The fact he never deleted all those tweets while he was growing in fame was just idiotic, because there was no way any show could keep him once people saw them.

he's still got three podcasts lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
But seriously if CPS did actually come and interview his daughter that's some of the most darkly funny content he's ever been responsible for. Hey kid, we're from the government. Your dad sucks so bad at writing jokes we've come to see if you're okay

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

inferis posted:

Lol of course this thread is pro calling the cops because it was someone they don’t like

I know you look for basically any easy reason possible to poo poo in this thread all the time but you could at least try

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Ezekiel, where are my training cards" is still probably one of the funniest bits Justin has ever done

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shinjobi posted:

"Ezekiel, where are my training cards" is still probably one of the funniest bits Justin has ever done

"This is the last time, Ezekiel! You've embarrassed me for the last time!" always makes me laugh

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shinjobi posted:

I like Justin's scene the most, but Griffin's "I'm to get-a my butt out" is maybe my favorite thing in the episode.

e: Also, talking sponsored episodes, Tipsy Pete's totino's saga going on as Travis and Griffin yell about his choice of "grocery stores" cracks me up.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The Family DOLLAR?!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the new theme is good although it also would have fit wonderful better i think

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

inferis posted:

we’ve already established that MaxFun is a network for neolibs, so the shoe fits

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i would think calling the cops on a white gen x dad would just result in a fun photo op

and then one of them would be like "whoa you said some racist poo poo?? that rules, high five"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The 7th Guest posted:

the new theme is good although it also would have fit wonderful better i think

Wonderful already has a fantastic theme

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

John Roderick shouldn’t have repeatedly put himself in situations where people had to search his soul for answers to the question “Hmmmm is this guy really a [racist/child abuser] or just a loving idiot.” I’m glad MBMBAM found a new artist to support (until the inevitable revelation that she abuses pets or something).

Edit: that first sentence might be paraphrasing a tweet I read about Beandad or maybe some other milkshake duck a while ago? Apologies for my possible plagiarism

Phlag fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 19, 2021

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

inferis posted:

i emailed jesse about some casual transphobia on an episode of jjgo. his response was “well we make mistakes sometimes but jordan and i do the best we can for two guys who constantly call each other (gay slurs)”
If you're worried about slurs being thrown around indiscriminately I'd caution you against looking into the history of this very website

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

No one here is going to argue that Jesse Thorn isn't a neoliberal hack. I don't think, at least.
On the other hand, the modern SA forums have a dedicated cache of people who will throw around terms like "neoliberal hack" as basically a synonym for "particpant in capitalism" and act like it's a shared understanding that [some guy] is next up for the guillotine

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Roderick's podcast with Ken Jennings is doing ok on Patreon.

The timing of the spike in January is funny, but it might have more to do with Jennings hosting Jeopardy and The Chase

Can only imagine what a McElroy Patreon would bring in.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Sankis posted:

When they were talking about it being done by a friend i was sure it was going to be Lin and that it was going to the most embarrassing thing to ever exist.

I thought it was a 50/50 split of this or a song by Louie Zong, which in my imaginings fits the show so much better. I don't mind the Montaigne song as lead-in to moneyzone or outro to the show, but it's a bit tonally jarring to open with.

But, they didn't consult me, so I'll just sulk and rewatch Zong animatics during the theme portion henceforth.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Speaking of cancelled McElroy affiliates, I rewatched touch the Skyrim the other day.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm rather excited about Sonic Learns to Drive.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Speaking of cancelled McElroy affiliates, I rewatched touch the Skyrim the other day.

The main attraction in Touch the Skyrim was always the crazy mods and Griffin's reactions to them anyway. That's why that followup series about finding stuff using free camera movement was shaping up to be kind of a dud.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah it was Nick's idea and he wasn't funny

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot about that weird free roam camera thing. I think there was a super monkey Ball one right?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tears In A Vial posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that weird free roam camera thing. I think there was a super monkey Ball one right?

If I recall correctly, that was the only one because the scandal happened almost immediately afterward.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

some plague rats posted:

This might just be one of the weirdest defenses of someone saying racist poo poo that I've ever heard? I know all Gen Xers want to be excused from adulthood but that doesn't mean we should allow it

:sbahj:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ariong posted:

If I recall correctly, that was the only one because the scandal happened almost immediately afterward.

There was also a thing where they were unknowingly aping some other dude’s premise that had been doing it a while before them. Which isn’t a crime by any measure but I do vaguely recall them apologizing for it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Tears In A Vial posted:

Touch the Skyrim is fine but Car Boys is still a masterpiece

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Did Griffin and Nick do that weird sonic game? Or was that nick and someone else?

Edit: yeah it was the pair of them. Sonic Dreams Collection. Buck wild. YouTube it.

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 19, 2021

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Just Chamber posted:

Touch the Skyrim is fine but Car Boys is still a masterpiece

This is still the best thing he was involved in, but the greatness is entirely in Simone acting out Griffin's dialogue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZwWaYdFAU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Entropic posted:

This is still the best thing he was involved in, but the greatness is entirely in Simone acting out Griffin's dialogue:

there's no funnier moment than 'and scene' 'NOPE, NOT YET'

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Entropic posted:

Griffin's energy here reminds me a lot of this bit where he tries as hard as he can do derail the joke Justin is trying to tell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfR7cskIrsg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ariong posted:

I'm rather excited about Sonic Learns to Drive.

The main attraction in Touch the Skyrim was always the crazy mods and Griffin's reactions to them anyway. That's why that followup series about finding stuff using free camera movement was shaping up to be kind of a dud.

The weird thing is there's a guy on youtube named Shesez with a show called Boundary Break that does the exact same thing and it's great. So, y'know, the dud is Nick.