Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is why so many youtubers started hiding how much paste they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Paste application methods are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

njsykora posted:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Steve is trying to never get a sample of a GPU from anyone ever again and I respect it. https://youtu.be/AmOp3LLwHmM

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's my understanding that paste application is whatever if you're doing it on the heat spreader of a CPU, but that you actually have to spread the paste like butter on bread, covering the entire surface, if you're working with bare-die, such as a GPU, or a de-lidded CPU...

... or in Alan_Shore's case, a laptop, since the CPU and GPU dies are bare on a laptop

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Since I like building as a hobby I take my time and paint a paper thin layer with the paste.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cygni posted:

Steve is trying to never get a sample of a GPU from anyone ever again and I respect it. https://youtu.be/AmOp3LLwHmM

How are they doing so bad? Like what are the engineers designing these things even doing with their time? It's unbelievable to me that such a standardized design problem as a GPU cooler is STILL something major players are failing at on a regular basis.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's designed to run within the specified parameters at a given cost. It's not designed to be better than it is.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

As the man said, they know people are gonna buy it so why try?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EngineerJoe posted:

It's designed to run within the specified parameters at a given cost. It's not designed to be better than it is.

there even is an incentive for it to not be better than it needs to be, because you don't want to upstage partners and make them mad at you for eroding their profit margin on low-end variants even further

and despite improvements in the "reference" coolers over the years (in quotes because I'm still counting FE cards here even though they are no longer reference) the market has pretty persistently rejected the idea that reference cards can ever be "premium". AMD and NVIDIA have never coaxed partners into significantly undercutting the reference card pricing even on poo poo-tier cost reduced cards, they just won't voluntarily cut their throat if there's not an actual reference card at that price point. the reference card essentially always defines the baseline cooling performance and partners will only go up from there.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 19, 2021

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cygni posted:

Alternate title: "Team Red Phones It In, Yet Again: the Sequel"

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

As the man said, they know people are gonna buy it so why try?

Ask Intel how that worked out as the years went on.

Over the next 10 years we are all going to completely change out our existing hardware and companies typically try to keep the customer by showing they care about their products.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
FYI: I signed up for the EVGA queue on Nov. 1 and was notified yesterday.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Cygni posted:

The audible sighing after he takes the backplate off in the teardown video was great

e:

EngineerJoe posted:

One of my mentors once said "Engineering is the science of doing exactly enough work to achieve your objective." and there's a lot of loving wisdom in that statement.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's my understanding that paste application is whatever if you're doing it on the heat spreader of a CPU, but that you actually have to spread the paste like butter on bread, covering the entire surface, if you're working with bare-die, such as a GPU, or a de-lidded CPU...

... or in Alan_Shore's case, a laptop, since the CPU and GPU dies are bare on a laptop

Oh man I don't know, I've watched so many YouTube videos but who knows what's happening when you've put it on and screwed it down. The game that I was getting 92c at before is now down to 75c so I'll take that as a win for now. I've also got a KLIM exhaust fan coming for the GPU, I have one on the CPU so thought I'd go hog wild

This is the video I keep blabbing about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofyNgJyhGuc

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Wrar posted:

For what card?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh man I don't know, I've watched so many YouTube videos but who knows what's happening when you've put it on and screwed it down. The game that I was getting 92c at before is now down to 75c so I'll take that as a win for now. I've also got a KLIM exhaust fan coming for the GPU, I have one on the CPU so thought I'd go hog wild

This is the video I keep blabbing about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofyNgJyhGuc

That video only covers CPUs with a heat spreader: the metal "cover" that has the CPU information on it is already transferring the heat from the die (which has a much smaller area) to itself - so the paste application method does not matter (as much)

anyway it probably doesn't matter if you're already seeing an improvement from before, so don't sweat it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ty I was trying to find the gif but it didn’t turn up for whatever reason!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Triikan posted:

What's the difference between a $400 Product X card and an $800 Product X card? I know MSRP is a pipe dream at the moment, but it seems crazy that the price delta on different 6700 XT cards is $400.

Reference design locks the AIB to the $480 MSRP. By slapping their own "premium" cooler on there they can charge $200-$400 more.

Since it's a sellers market right now, 75% of all chips AMD makes are going into those premium models.

Not to say there's no technical differences: the reference has really underwhelming cooling and is loud when fully loaded, whereas a 3 fan sapphire is quieter and slightly more performant. For an extra $300 on an already inflated price.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the tl;dr on Intel's upcoming dedicated GPU release that's coming out next week? I'm pretty skeptical.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Wrar posted:

RVT posted:

For what card?

Wow not sure which card that is but it would seem that the notify queue is waaaaay ahead of the step up queue. My 3080 is currently on the truck for delivery today, and I signed up the day they released; last I checked, they were in day #2 for the step up queue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the tl;dr on Intel's upcoming dedicated GPU release that's coming out next week? I'm pretty skeptical.

Its not going to blow the doors off anything but it should be a decent low end card.... except for the drivers which intel still struggles with.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

looks "great" for mobile iGPU especially if you render sub 1080p and really disappointing as a desktop GPU being included with intel SKUs.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
unsticking a ghost post, apologies

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I highly highly doubt anything is actually "coming out" next week, so there is that. Just a guess based on the leaks we've seen so far, but they still seem to be in the neighborhood of months away.

Normally the sign that a product launch is imminent is the flood of leaks on benchmarking sites as OEMs and SIs tune their products. All we have seen so far is token leaks with very early hardware.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cygni posted:

"It would be really bad if Nintendo knew that AMD wore Team Rocket shirts on-stage in front of a bunch of media. That might be a problem"

:laffo:

Steve is the best.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wow not sure which card that is but it would seem that the notify queue is waaaaay ahead of the step up queue. My 3080 is currently on the truck for delivery today, and I signed up the day they released; last I checked, they were in day #2 for the step up queue.

They're not really putting much effort/stock into Step-Up right now, and I don't see why they would.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

SourKraut posted:

They're not really putting much effort/stock into Step-Up right now, and I don't see why they would.

It's high overhead but the cards either get used themselves as warranty swaps or B stock which are selling for inflated prices.

Interestingly if they just made a 'good faith' effort but didn't move the notify queue until 4/1 they'd get to charge everyone more, so good on them I guess?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I know there aren't really very many cards out, but I assume the RX6x00 lineup will be filled out with 1080p capable cards at some point, and I need something to put in my server that's capable of being passed through by bhyve.

A fellow FreeBSD developer has pointed out that anything prior to RX6x00 will fail to work if the guest is shut down and the host isn't shut down in between starting up the guest again, which isn't optimal even if I don't plan to reboot the guest often.

A nvidia GPU isn't really doable, since they do driver detection to prevent passed through GPUs (yes, I know, you can circumvent this in some hypervisors, but I'm not sure bhyve can do it, and I don't wanna buy a GPU on the assumption that it can, and find out that it can't).

So, are there any indications that there'll be RX6x00 GPUs for 1080p gaming on the market, and what timeframe are we talking?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Never used BSD, but my understanding was that "VGA / GPU pass-through devices are not currently supported.".

A 6600XT was rumored to land someday, but obviously it's not a priority right now if it means taking assembly time from something else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Never used BSD, but my understanding was that "VGA / GPU pass-through devices are not currently supported.".

A 6600XT was rumored to land someday, but obviously it's not a priority right now if it means taking assembly time from something else.
Nah, that's just because the wiki isn't up-to-date. I can't update it since I don't have any personal experience with it.

One of the users who first managed to do bhyve passthrough did a talk on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqveGsIcA0

That's with a nvidia GPU, so it won't attach in Windows because of the driver lock-in, but I believe AMD is exempt from that, hence why I'm looking at AMD GPUs.
I should probably add that I'm a FreeBSD developer - with the focus on documentation, so ideally I'd have the hardware to test this, so that I can update the relevant documentation.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 19, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's okay for now because the entire 6x00 line is mythical beasts spoken of in legend and not something people actually find in stores. Although word is the 6700XT mines worse than the 5700XT does, so it might not inflate as badly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can confirm the KLIM took my RDR2 temp down from 91c (gently caress that game seriously) to 85c

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

It's okay for now because the entire 6x00 line is mythical beasts spoken of in legend and not something people actually find in stores. Although word is the 6700XT mines worse than the 5700XT does, so it might not inflate as badly.
With my lack of money, I'll probably be looking at a used model at some point. :/

I was hoping for a blower design, but both reference cards and partner cards appear to all be using huge-rear end shrouds with massive fans that throw the hot air every which way around the case, which is its own problem for a server that's essentially designed like an positive pressure air tunnel.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not real sure about that. A lot of people would gladly take almost anything at this point, and not everyone is looking to mine.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

People looking to minecraft, on the other hand...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not real sure about that. A lot of people would gladly take almost anything at this point, and not everyone is looking to mine.

Before Nvidia self-owned, the difference between 3060 and 3060ti on eBay was about $500 or something like that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1372971457140170774?s=20

nvidia really half-assed the anti-crypto protections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
3080 for $1600, seems legit, asking for in person pickup at a bank, so less likely to be a complete scam.

Pull the trigger?