Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

Don't try to be all heartless. We all know you love him too :haw:

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In less horny side of things: how good/bad is NFS Heat? Deluxe Edition finally hit the 20€ pricepoint... NFS Rivals was a borefest, NFS is slightly better and I read that Payback gets better and then Heat is cool and good again. Any thoughts?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Guillermus posted:

In less horny side of things: how good/bad is NFS Heat? Deluxe Edition finally hit the 20€ pricepoint... NFS Rivals was a borefest, NFS is slightly better and I read that Payback gets better and then Heat is cool and good again. Any thoughts?

I don’t know but the Hot Pursuit remaster is $20 and it’s probably better than any of those games

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I didn't enjoy Heat and gave up after less than 10 hours. The story was meh, the characters are meh, the unlocking takes too long and the split between night and day for money and fame is too much work if you just want to drive and tune.

Overall the driving was OK but I spent way more time in Need for Speed and had more fun. But maybe it works better for you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ancient Gods 2 :discourse:

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Sakurazuka posted:

You can play the base game and first expansion completely free now too.

Yeah unless you by chance played FFXIV at some point for a week or two YEARS ago then you are hosed. I've tried unlinking the Square Enix account from my PSN even going as far as contacting SE customer service but no dice. I can't even play it at my wife's PSN account, probably because she does not have PS+?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

When ps plus autorenews does the charge go through immediately?

I can’t remember if I had another year of credit or if it auto renewed at full price.

The email says “Subscription Information: Payments of $59.99 will automatically be taken every 12 months. Your subscription will continue until cancelled” but I haven’t been charged yet. If I am paying full price I’m going to try for a refund.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don’t know but the Hot Pursuit remaster is $20 and it’s probably better than any of those games

Snagged a physical copy of the Hot Pursuit remaster for 15€ a few weeks ago on a closing MediaMarkt (changing location). Already played quite a bit of it when it first released on PC years ago. I was looking more for an Underground 1/2 Most Wanted 2005 type of game.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

haveblue posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring

More free stuff from the Play At Home program:

PS4:

Rez Infinite
Abzu
The Witness
Enter the Gungeon
Subnautica
Thumper

PSVR only:

Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Moss
Paper Beast

Also, the free Ratchet and Clank is getting swapped out for free Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition

this is gonna be like my fourth copy of Rez and I am fine with that

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I loved that game. Nice and quick, in and out.

Temple 3 really soured me on the game. Giant wide open spaces with no rhyme or reason on where to go and all these crossbow ladies. I ended up just running past everyone to the boss after I figured out the obtuse 3 switches for the door.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

this is gonna be like my fourth copy of Rez and I am fine with that

Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox 360 and PS4/VR?

I never had it on the Dreamcast, but I bought it twice on PS2 after one got stolen. Bought 360 and PS4 versions day one. No regrets.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bows1 posted:

after I figured out the obtuse 3 switches for the door.

Oh yeah those were really bad. I didn’t know what to do for aaaages.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Guillermus posted:

Snagged a physical copy of the Hot Pursuit remaster for 15€ a few weeks ago on a closing MediaMarkt (changing location). Already played quite a bit of it when it first released on PC years ago. I was looking more for an Underground 1/2 Most Wanted 2005 type of game.

Fair enough... I haven’t played any of the recent ones so I’m not sure if they’re any good. Sorry

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Guillermus posted:

If you didn't care about plot before, you won't care about plot this time either, it's all the same kind of thing of racing to be the best but also fighting against corruption. Driving mechanics are about the same, upgrading is apparently a lot more part specific as opposed to the last one which had really abstracted (but very clear) stats that you upgraded by getting higher levelled cards.

The spin on gameplay this time is you organised street races in Day mode to gain money, but you need reputation points to unlock higher tier parts, which you get by doing races in Night mode races, so you have to go back and forth between modes. In Night mode, races can have a ton of traffic and police to contend with, and you then have to lose the cops before you can go back to the garage and actually earn your points.

Getting caught by the cops means you lose all your points from that night and take a money hit as well, so it's best to empty your bank and then do 2 or 3 levels at a time, or as much as you're capable of escaping which can be kinda hard. Also it's quite good for co-op play as you don't always have to secure 1st place (maybe just in plot missions?) while in some games you'd get penalised for being beaten by your friend and have to do everything twice to progress.

Edit: Oh and the upgrades try to be really realistic, to the point where you have multiple unlockable engine options for your car which all have different potential max BHP and stuff. I never figured out how much of it mattered, though, kinda preferred the clearer stat based versions of previous games. Same basic customisation features though, which is fun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

NFS Heat stuff

Cheers thanks! I guess I can wait a bit since it's an EA game (it gets on sale often according to PSPrices) and just keep playing Underground 2 and Most Wanted on PC for my tunning fix.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Holy loving poo poo, theres dickishness in this first level of doom dlc 2 i havent seen since the last time i played a john romero map. (Thats good for those playing at home)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There’s a bit near the very end of that map where you’re trapped in a tiny tiny arena with six of the Angel dudes that you have to headshot and holy gently caress it is difficult.
There’s also a rank “hit the switch and do the mid-air tricks” bit soon after.

It’s really good :allears:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

they should reboot Daikatana and just ramp up the technicality of doom eternal. superfly teaches you on how to dash cancel. jump is mapped to R1 by default. platforming where grenade boosting is required.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They should reboot Daikatana but in the style of the surprisingly good Game Boy Color one that was Zelda-style

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've seen a lot of praises about Disco Elysium but I know like nothing about it. someone wanna give me an idea of why everyone loves it so much? (not snarky--genuinely curious)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

I've seen a lot of praises about Disco Elysium but I know like nothing about it. someone wanna give me an idea of why everyone loves it so much? (not snarky--genuinely curious)

dystopic futuristic point and click text adventure rpg with complex interwoven dialogue & skill system and mature political themes

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

dystopic futuristic point and click text adventure rpg with complex interwoven dialogue & skill system and mature political themes

Like planescape torment then?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It also manages to be funny and very serious from one point to the next. Definitely a lot of fun and I'm glad that the devs were able to sell enough copies to make the additions to the game that they wanted.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

morallyobjected posted:

Your thoughts are actual characters that you can level up. Also failing skill checks is just as good as passing them, if not better.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

For me the big selling point is great writing fused brilliantly with a really cool and unique RPG character system. The writing is excellent, which is important because the game is mostly dialogue. Characters are all fun to talk to, problems are fun to solve, the story is at turns thoughtful and heartbreaking, and the setting is unique and fascinating. And the writing is heavily influenced by how you play the game: Your character has 16 stats that provide different capabilities for conversations and skill checks. Several of these stats are aspects of your personality, characters unto themselves, and the more you invest in them the more they speak up in your internal monologue and influence your available decisions. On top of that your character will occasionally have big ideas that you can elect to ruminate on, with some sort of effect, and eventually come to a conclusion, with its own effect. And on top of that, your character has a political alignment (communist, capitalist, fascist, or "apolitical" centrist) that is determined by the choices you make as you play. The result is a ton of flexibility in how you create your character that has powerfully meaningful effects on your experience.

One of the things I dislike most in games is the feeling that I'm playing by rote, like I'm doing some task I've done a million times before in other games. Disco Elysium never once made me feel that way, almost everything about it was a delightful surprise. I've played I don't know how many games with a morality system, but Disco Elysium is the first game that made me think carefully about who I wanted my character to be and how I wanted to express that.

Oscar Wild posted:

Like planescape torment then?

Never played that but I've seen the comparison a bunch. In both games you start out with total amnesia and have to solve the mystery of who you are, which is interesting. Big difference is that DE doesn't have a combat system.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
From what I've heard I now expect the Tim Rogers Cyberpunk review to clock in around 8 or 9 hours

Which if true, well...

:sickos:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That many bugs huh

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

acksplode posted:

Big difference is that DE doesn't have a combat system.

Well tbf, neither does pst.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Just hook it into my veins.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay having beaten Uncharted 1 it....wasn't bad! The combat almost approaches fun in the shootout(s) in and around the church and the ending is weirdly easy after the slog that is the jetski section but it was a good time overall. Can Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg pull it off in the film adaptation? I'm doubtful but we'll see!

I also never played the original Tomb Raiders but I did play the newer trilogy and it's crazy how similar a lot of the setpieces in TR2013 are to UC1 (shootout on a burning cargo boat, mercenaries giving way to cursed monster guys, restarting a dilapidated generator from the early 20th century, etc etc). I'm not sure if that's just a byproduct of their only being so many things you can do with the adventure genre but it definitely felt the same a lot of the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay having beaten Uncharted 1 it....wasn't bad! The combat almost approaches fun in the shootout(s) in and around the church and the ending is weirdly easy after the slog that is the jetski section but it was a good time overall. Can Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg pull it off in the film adaptation? I'm doubtful but we'll see!

I also never played the original Tomb Raiders but I did play the newer trilogy and it's crazy how similar a lot of the setpieces in TR2013 are to UC1 (shootout on a burning cargo boat, mercenaries giving way to cursed monster guys, restarting a dilapidated generator from the early 20th century, etc etc). I'm not sure if that's just a byproduct of their only being so many things you can do with the adventure genre but it definitely felt the same a lot of the time.

Your best entry point for the old Tomb Raiders if you want to try them is the trilogy of Anniversary, Legends, and Underworld. They're excellent games in their own right.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The jetski section shouldn't be a slog, it should be really fast and kinetic. In my experience people absolutely refuse to believe that you can blindfire your way through the entire thing and Elena will automatically shoot every barrel and dude

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Do we know if Disco Elysium is getting a physical release or if it'll be digital-only on PS4/PS5? I was hoping to get it physical, but it's not a huge deal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The PS5 version is rumored to get a physical release.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

PS5 physical release is confirmed for this summer, though I'm not sure if it's getting released separately from the kinda pricey collector's edition

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
thanks all for the words about Disco Elysium. my wife has been looking for a new game to come out and she loves the point-and-click/adventure type genre with a good story, so this may be right up her alley as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
She certainly might enjoy this one, then. In terms of its mechanics and systems, the closest comparison to Disco Elysium that I've ever been able to think of is the Quest for Glory series - the "adventure game with RPG elements" genre isn't exactly very big, but what is there is overall high quality. They even have a similarly irreverent kind of humor to them, although they don't really share all that much else.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

Do we know if Disco Elysium is getting a physical release or if it'll be digital-only on PS4/PS5? I was hoping to get it physical, but it's not a huge deal.

If there's anything we know about Sony it's that they love printing discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Wondering about the 8mplcations of watching the Tim Roger's cyberpunk review without having played cyberpunk (but intending to at some point)