Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

LyonsLions posted:

Many eikaiwa/ALT jobs wouldn't actually get away with not enrolling their employees in social insurance based on their actual working hours and conditions, so they tell people it is optional and hope they don't pursue it further.

It’s not just that they hope they don’t take it further, they totally count on it. If an employee does take it to court, they’ll win. The problem is that it’ll take plenty of time and during all of that the company can gently caress with the employee and make life a general hell. And then when the employee wins, he or she gets the benefits they are owed. So then the company straightens up and flies right, right? Lol gently caress no. They just wait until someone else brings up a lawsuit which is few and far between. The problem with these laws is that you have to enforce them actively which the government is not doing. Oh also sometimes the key members of these companies have relationships with members of government (of course).

E: just fixin typos

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1369425567817273353

the full version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcp0TFewqY

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Put that man in Yakuza 8.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

We really DO live in a society! O:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was expecting the other Joker.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
He just need to pay Zack Snyder to cut a music video for him.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1372016586895200260

im pretty damned skeptical it will mean anything since boy oh boy does japan LOVE to ignore what their courts say, but it beats the alternative i guess!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1372016586895200260

im pretty damned skeptical it will mean anything since boy oh boy does japan LOVE to ignore what their courts say, but it beats the alternative i guess!

i hope this somehow ends up toppling the koseki system in addition to legalizing gay marriage

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wonder if Biden has any leverage to pressure Japan to do just that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

i hope this somehow ends up toppling the koseki system in addition to legalizing gay marriage

There was just a ruling to uphold that archaic “Japanese husbands and wives must legally have the same last name” law, wherein they already have a loophole for foreigners. It’d be nice but I’m not holding my breath it gets both.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

There was just a ruling to uphold that archaic “Japanese husbands and wives must legally have the same last name” law, wherein they already have a loophole for foreigners. It’d be nice but I’m not holding my breath it gets both.

i was imagining a situation in which it would be really difficult to amend the koseki law to be constitutional and they decide to just write something new. i think it's far more likely they'll do some wild poo poo like putting one gay spouse on the other's koseki with a special note like 我が輩はゲイの配偶者である like they do for us minority sex slaves foreign spouses. it's more likely still that the supreme court will just laugh while saying "nope" tho

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aso TARO remains a loving dipshit

https://twitter.com/themainichi/status/1372800009498857472?s=20

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

What the gently caress, Japan has been the poster child country for wearing masks to prevent the spread of disease literally my entire life.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sanguinia posted:

What the gently caress, Japan has been the poster child country for wearing masks to prevent the spread of disease literally my entire life.

rules and inconveniences are for the poor, op

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
When you get people vaccinated, fuckface. That poo poo hasn’t even started for the general olds yet.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a petition I can sign to ensure he keeps his off?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

When you get people vaccinated, fuckface. That poo poo hasn’t even started for the general olds yet.

That was basically my thought. Get about 200,000,000 doses of that vaccine out amongst the population and then we’ll talk.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 19, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

More like 阿保太郎

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder how many of the biggest complainers simply have unbearable halitosis.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if the Olympics will get cancelled still from Covid...

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Grouchio posted:

The 2022 Olympics will occur while the 2020 Olympics are still in limbo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

they're timing the state of emergency on right now to stop just before the IOC visits next, and apparently the LDP has said "do or die" for the Olympics so.

likely means Dentsu will be giving them a big thumbs down if things keep getting worse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just buy the vaccine buddy! I have no less than four coworkers scheduling golden week trips around going to america to get vaccinated either in part or in full.

harperdc posted:

they're timing the state of emergency on right now to stop just before the IOC visits next, and apparently the LDP has said "do or die" for the Olympics so.

likely means Dentsu will be giving them a big thumbs down if things keep getting worse.

The people at Dentsu I work with don't seem hopeful, but they're not as close to the Olympics as my old people at Dentsu who knew like two+ weeks out the Olympics were getting moved.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think Japan will just do the bare minimum to not have to refund the sponsorship money. So no audience, discourage nations to send large teams etc.

I don't know what happen to the opening ceremony, hopefully Hazmat suite Interpretive dance.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Just buy the vaccine buddy! I have no less than four coworkers scheduling golden week trips around going to america to get vaccinated either in part or in full.

a bit pre-occupied moving over golden week, plus there's no guarantee my non-American wife could come along and also get zapped with 5G nano machines. and my company has also said they currently can't support international telework due to tax reasons, and I unfortunately can't cook up enough of a reason for a two-week-plus business trip.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think Japan will just do the bare minimum to not have to refund the sponsorship money. So no audience, discourage nations to send large teams etc.

I don't know what happen to the opening ceremony, hopefully Hazmat suite Interpretive dance.

it's so weird that they're pointing to other events like "see! The Masters went off just fine!" and like the difference between the number of staff working there and needed for the Olympics is on an entirely different scale.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I still laugh that the average Japanese person on the street was bang on when they said it would last longest in Japan and that things wouldn't start going back to normal until 2022 on a survey done in august of 2020.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The thought of the Olympics not happening is such a mindfuck, when I was a JET ALT in 2015-16 it was all anyone ever talked about.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The only reason to cancel the Olympic games to date has been a massive world war. Goes to show how historical an event we are living through.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Urgh, I have an acquaintance who spams me with antivaxxer and corona denier garbage. Just now she sent me a video claiming that the Japanese health authorities don't have proof the Corona virus exists. Presented as a phone call sourced by a friend of a friend.
Of course there are paypal links and a bitcoin wallet in the description.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gently caress are they on about. They're literally speeding up vaccinations against it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Japanese Government has endorsed an optional 4-Day Workweek

quote:

Japan’s govеrnmеnt plans to еncouragе firms to lеt thеir еmployееs choosе to work four days a wееk instеad of fivе, aiming to improvе thе balancе bеtwееn work and lifе for pеoplе who havе family carе rеsponsibilitiеs or nееd morе timе off to acquirе nеw skills.

Thе govеrnmеnt includеd thе promotion of an optional four-day workweek in its annual еconomic policy guidеlinе finalizеd Friday by Primе Ministеr Yoshihidе Suga’s Cabinеt.

Еxpеrts in Japan arе dividеd in case of the 4-day workweek, howеvеr, on whеthеr thе nеw initiativе, intеndеd to addrеss challеngеs posеd by thе country’s labor shortagе, will bе widеly accеptеd, with labor and managеmеnt both voicing concеrns about possiblе unwantеd outcomеs.

For еmployеrs, whilе pеoplе working four days a wееk may bеcomе morе motivatеd, this may not improvе thеir productivity еnough to compеnsatе for thе lost workday. Еmployееs, mеanwhilе, fеar pay cuts.

Among еxpеctеd advantagеs arе hеlping pеoplе with family-carе rеsponsibilitiеs avoid thе nееd to quit thеir jobs, promotion of rеcurrеnt еducation, and hеlping morе pеoplе takе on sidе jobs, thе govеrnmеnt said.

Thе coronavirus pandеmic has hеlpеd thе idеa of a four-day workweek gain traction as thе hеalth crisis causеs pеoplе to spеnd morе timе at homе.

In latе April, thе ruling Libеral Dеmocratic Party rеcommеndеd that thе govеrnmеnt takе policy mеasurеs to facilitatе adoption of thе systеm.

Thе LDP said working fеwеr days is еxpеctеd to promotе “divеrsifiеd working stylеs” and prompt workеrs with nеw skills to movе to growing industriеs such as IT.

At a kеy еconomic and fiscal policy panеl mееting in mid-April whеrе thе promotion of a four-day workweek was discussеd, Suga said his govеrnmеnt would considеr еxpanding support for pеoplе willing to еnhancе thеir carееrs through rеcurrеnt еducation without lеaving thеir jobs.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Tokyo government posted some deceptive poo poo about commuter numbers on twitter, got flamed, and deleted the tweet. Fortunately it got archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20210713061915/https://twitter.com/tokyo_gov/status/1414736605537996801

also the post on the govt site is still up as of right now https://www.tokyoupdates.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/en/post-200/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So CTV ran an article today about the Japanese reaction to Germany's full body leotards at the Olympics. Since that's just Canadian reporting on a Japanese story, I wanted to see what the reaction is like on a more local basis rather than playing newspaper telephone. What has the public reaction been to the Olympics this year and the debate over competition uniforms?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So CTV ran an article today about the Japanese reaction to Germany's full body leotards at the Olympics. Since that's just Canadian reporting on a Japanese story, I wanted to see what the reaction is like on a more local basis rather than playing newspaper telephone. What has the public reaction been to the Olympics this year and the debate over competition uniforms?

I would assume mostly 'meh'. 'Team makes their skintight uniforms cover more skin' is hardly a megastory, is it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

I would assume mostly 'meh'. 'Team makes their skintight uniforms cover more skin' is hardly a megastory, is it?

The CTV angle was that there has been a growing movement in Japan against outdated female dress codes at schools and in the workplace and there was a debate going on because the German and Polish challenges against the Olympic dress codes sparked the topic again. So, I was wondering if that was actually the case or if this was a result of foreign media latching onto a story to go "look at the backwards country!"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I haven’t seen anything about it on the news and had no idea there was a “controversy.” People seem to be much more focused on skyrocketing covid infection rates and the like. Wonder why that is?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Uhh I think you'll find that the state of emergency in Tokyo ended, to the relief of everyone, just before the Olympics started.

Nothing to see here of course!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well that’s the bonkers part. They never even tried to do that. They extended the SoE again and urged people to follow their requests to not go out (barring work of course. Work is worth risking getting infected. Doing anything to maintain your sanity, on the other hand), for restaurants to not serve alcohol and close at 8, etc. All while holding the biggest sporting event in the world

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

echoing the "i haven't seen poo poo about leotards in the local news" thing

Mercury_Storm posted:

Uhh I think you'll find that the state of emergency in Tokyo ended, to the relief of everyone, just before the Olympics started.

Nothing to see here of course!

actually, the latest SoE started right before the Olympics began and is ongoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ye gods, this is some powerful brain worms

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/1420333280436494341