Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Disco Elysium: Final Cut has been refused classification in Australia. Australia’s classification board automatically fails any game that gives the player any sort of benefit through the consumption of drugs. This is despite having an R18 classification available that would prevent the sale of the game to minors as well as the usual double standards about copious amounts of violence vs The Ultimate Evil, A Drug.

Australia is so deeply, deeply conservative right down to its loving bones and it hurts to be reminded of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Kids today :rolleyes:

Back in my day we played Combat on the Atari 2600. We had eight pixels and the lowest-fi sound possible and that's the way it was and we liked. We loved it!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rarity posted:

All right grandad go stick another quarter in your Pong cabinet :rolleyes:

Is that what The Youths are calling it these days

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChickenMedium posted:

Kids today :rolleyes:

Back in my day we played Combat on the Atari 2600. We had eight pixels and the lowest-fi sound possible and that's the way it was and we liked. We loved it!

Hey pops why don't you try out this new VR thing *laughs as you stumble around and fall over*

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Mode 7 posted:

Disco Elysium: Final Cut has been refused classification in Australia. Australia’s classification board automatically fails any game that gives the player any sort of benefit through the consumption of drugs. This is despite having an R18 classification available that would prevent the sale of the game to minors as well as the usual double standards about copious amounts of violence vs The Ultimate Evil, A Drug.

Australia is so deeply, deeply conservative right down to its loving bones and it hurts to be reminded of that.

Fortunately this is sidestepped by importing a physical copy or making an account on a different region’s store right?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://games.avclub.com/happy-anniversary-to-kirby-super-star-the-best-game-ev-1846494822

quote:

This week marks the 25th anniversary of the Japanese release of Kirby Super Star, and in honor of that exciting occasion, I would like to make a bold claim: Kirby Super Star, developed by HAL Laboratory and released by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo in 1996, is the best video game ever made. There are games I like more (specifically, all games about cyborg ninjas with the word “revengeance” in the title), but no single game developer—Nintendo or otherwise—has ever released something as brilliantly designed as Kirby Super Star.

The reason for that is all about satisfying game design, so let’s talk about that first. Video games are generally built around teaching a player how to do something, asking them to use that skill to overcome a specific challenge, and then teaching a new skill on top of that to continue the loop. For example, in Super Mario Bros., the Goomba on the first screen will kill you if you don’t learn how to jump. Once you’ve figured that out, you have to use your jump skill to get on top of a tall pipe, and then you apply your jump in a different way by leaping over a small gap onto another pipe. Satisfying! Something like Portal is a more literal version of this, directly saying, “Learn this skill to progress,” but even more complicated games like Dark Souls or puzzle games like Tetris operate on a similar principle.

This is a cool article about a cool game :)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

wuggles posted:

Fortunately this is sidestepped by importing a physical copy or making an account on a different region’s store right?

Yeah it’s trivial to circumvent just depressing that it’s still happening.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Kerrzhe posted:

hello friends as of today i am now as old as 35 year old dirt

Happy birthday, birthday neighbor. I turned 33 34 (time has lost all meaning) today myself, celebrating 1 year of working from home and almost total isolation from people outside my family.

At least I got an Apple Watch to commemorate the occasion

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 19, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kirby is a monster, he must be stopped

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

:tugs collar: how about those games of videos, eh?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

Out of curiosity, does that happen to Fallout games, too?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it's why Morphine had to be renamed to MedX.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Totally agree. I want to call Kirby Super Star perfect, but what does that make Super Star Ultra?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Totally agree. I want to call Kirby Super Star perfect, but what does that make Super Star Ultra?

Perfect+

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rarity posted:

Kirby is a cosmic entity, he cannot be stopped any more than you can stop entropy

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Iä, Iä, poyo fhtagn.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Convex posted:

Perfect+

:hai:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The United States posted:

Kirby is a cosmic entity, he cannot be stopped any more than you can stop entropy

I deny Kirby

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Repent and abase yourself before the Pink Devourer and you might be one of the lucky ones who are eaten first.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

kirby super star is one of the best games of all time. i put untold hours into it as a child. i am poisoned enough to have real nostalgia for marx's battle theme which is like.. less than a minute long and on loop

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone in this thread is safe from kirby. Truth.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Kirby is a squig

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Where do the souls of banned posters go? :thunkher:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Lordran and the undead asylum.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Kentucky.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Lordran and the undead asylum.

Hope I don't get banned then, I still need to play Demon's Souls first :ohdear:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Hope I don't get banned then, I still need to play Demon's Souls first :ohdear:

VideoGames posted:

:hai:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

Glad that no one here is a cosmic horror.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

dont gently caress horses

Bold statement but I'll allow it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that whole genre of "things or animals people own, but as girls" gives me the heebies

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that whole genre of "things or animals people own, but as girls" gives me the heebies

That's a genre?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That's a genre?

Buddy, it's an industry

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

To a frankly disturbing degree.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I need examples

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

uma musume owns, just don't gently caress em

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

hmmm

super star:
+ easy couch co-op
+ sightly better physics
+ original capsule j design do not steal
+ better cutscenes

super star ultra
+ new modes are great
+ new music
+ very cute sprites
+ wham bam rock looks much less racist
- rebalanced powers

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's weird and hosed up and misogynist

e: not kirby

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not really. theyre just girls that like to run fast, and have fun doing it

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Glad that no one here is a cosmic horror.

Yeah̴,̵ ̷d̵e̴f̴̛̛͇̱̖̹̀͂̄i̴̩̘̫͎̱̓̋̀͠n̵̔̏̎͜ḯ̶̈́̌̒̚͜͝t̸̨̩̠̒̀͠é̸̳̙̩͋̉̔̚͝l̶̙̻̻͙͒y̸̦̖͎̻͙͐͐̃̚͘͝ n̵͕͕̪͆̏̀͂̃̌̑̓̌̑͋̑̾́͂̌͋̓̀͆͛̍̌̾̋̀̂̆̕͝͠ǫ̷̧̣̫̺̣̠̟̗̫͑́̂̔̈́̇͗̕͘t̸̡̡̛̛̛̮̝͍͉̤͖̭͈̟̣̣̳̖͙̲͕̣̹̻̜̉̍̽̽̈́͗̋̈̿̑̂̏̎̓̀̓̐͑́͘̕͘͜͜͜͝.̸͈͔̳͓̝̗͍͎̦̼̮͙̦̦̦̊̋̉̉̊͑̅̏̅̅̄̎̿̅͐͑̔̾͗͝͝͝

apologies to posters on screen readers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Looper posted:

hmmm

super star:
+ easy couch co-op
+ sightly better physics
+ original capsule j design do not steal
+ better cutscenes

super star ultra
+ new modes are great
+ new music
+ very cute sprites
+ wham bam rock looks much less racist
- rebalanced powers

I’m surprised I didn’t notice the different physics and ability balance. All that matters is that Jet is absurdly fun to use.

The only other slight flaws with the original are the slowdown and how you can’t drop your ability without creating a partner.