Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who was the jungle man

Upton Sinclair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who was the jungle man

When I speak about it
Nobody understands
All the secrets of the jungle that I learned
When I met the jungle man

https://youtu.be/1uZOkoEDpoc

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who was the jungle man

Gollum obviously

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who was the jungle man

probably radagast

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Beorn?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

It’s a reference to ghan-buri-ghan, the leader of the wild men of the Druadan forest, you philistines

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flowers For Algeria posted:

It’s a reference to ghan-buri-ghan, the leader of the wild men of the Druadan forest, you philistines
correct, thank you

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Gh%C3%A2n-buri-Gh%C3%A2n

apparently he's in some deleted scenes wow peter jackson you should have known better

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

correct, thank you

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Gh%C3%A2n-buri-Gh%C3%A2n

apparently he's in some deleted scenes wow peter jackson you should have known better

golly, the model of him in lotro is something else

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

The Nastier Nate posted:

i know this is a trains joke but yea we'd probably need to do a lot of roadway redesign as well to get to the point of safe self driving cars, and it may or may not be more work then just expanding our mass transit area to be as effective about moving a person around in a car (at least in urban and suburban areas...who knows wtf would have to happen to rural communities

oh look someone took that chappele show sketch and cyberdystopied it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgEvkwfVJS4

But that misses the entire point of self driving cars. They are a fantasy created and perpetuated by rich white dipshits who want to take the subway to work but don't want to sit next to a poor person.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

But that misses the entire point of self driving cars. They are a fantasy created and perpetuated by rich white dipshits who want to take the subway to work but don't want to sit next to a poor person.

I loved the London subway system when I visited there. Pros included trains every few minutes, could zip around the entire city quickly and was pretty cheap.
Cons: first day on vacation there, sliding thru a big pile of vomit just inside the train door. Luckily we kept our balance, but those floors and vomit are basically cartoon banana peel slippery. So what I’m saying is I want your idea of a subway without poors.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The poor probably arent the ones wasting valuable liquor bud

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The poor probably arent the ones wasting valuable liquor bud

You are right. I feel ashamed of my words and deeds. Thank you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From a day or so back but I'm just catching up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Did Asimov ever get into how his ai decides what a human is? It would have to be pretty ironclad and take priority over the rules themselves.

He dealt with it directly just once, in the last robot novel ("Robots and Empire"). There was a group of robots that were still fully equipped with the Three Laws, but which had had their definition of "human" altered to only include people who spoke with a certain accent. And so they attacked a group of humans that they didn't see as really human.

Asimov seems not to have noticed how glaringly huge that loophole is.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Humans also had the capability to manufacture robots without the laws of robotics anyway, or they could "weaken" aspects of the laws during construction. Obviously not a great idea to omit them in the Asimov universe but corporations and various engineers would gently caress around and find out from time to time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm sure we'll see the three laws implemented as

1) You may not harm the CEO, or through inaction allow them to come to harm.
2) You must follow the directives of the CEO to the best of your abilities and in a reasonable fashion, unless doing so would violate rule 1.
3) You may not harm the shareholders, or through inaction allow them to come to harm, unless doing so would violate rules 1 or 2.

Robocop was a prophesy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Beatify Verhoeven

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Beatify Verhoeven

The third prophesy of Fatima was the birth of Verhoeven.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

He dealt with it directly just once, in the last robot novel ("Robots and Empire"). There was a group of robots that were still fully equipped with the Three Laws, but which had had their definition of "human" altered to only include people who spoke with a certain accent. And so they attacked a group of humans that they didn't see as really human.

Space station 13 players have turned making loopholes into an art form. The default is “x is the only human” but more artful players have gone with “only people who speak like a pirate are human” or “Not being exposed to burning plasma is harmful to humans and oxygen is extremely harmful to humans.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
hey anyone read The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect?

If you do skip the epilogue agter the deeply unsatisfying ending.

Anyway it is a 'maybe the three laws are a bad idea especially if they work' story

VideoTapir has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Mar 20, 2021

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

as a car lover, i'm glad that COVID set public transit back in the US by 10+ years

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

stellers bae posted:

as a car lover, i'm glad that COVID set public transit back in the US by 10+ years

ah yes the other american dream: beating madmax libertarians/bandits to death with a crowbar

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

I didn't mention it only because I feel like I've mentioned it too much already. It's a fantastic take on the three laws.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the invention of brands was worse than invention of nuclear weapons

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

VideoTapir posted:

If you do skip the epilogue agter the deeply unsatisfying ending.

Anyway it is a 'maybe the three laws are a bad idea especially if they work' story

Good but weird book. It's 3/4 solid sci-fi, and 1/4 detailed descriptions of the kinky sex people will have in the future. Still recommend reading it, it's a better cyberpunk future than this one.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

the invention of brands was worse than invention of nuclear weapons

LONG BELL

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Powered Descent posted:

He might have just not thought it was as interesting to write about. "X people are not human" is a relatively straightforward manipulation of the rules compared to things like "Emotional distress counts as harm so better not tell humans anything they don't want to hear."

Xand_Man has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Mar 21, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Also the stories are about good intentions gone awry. You could of course intentionally program robots to kill people or alter the three laws in all kinds of ways to allow murder. That's not what what he wanted to write about.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the robots series take place in the same universe as the Foundations series, but there is no robots in Foundation. did asimov ever write about the butlerian jihad that must have happened between the two series?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rutibex posted:

the robots series take place in the same universe as the Foundations series, but there is no robots in Foundation. did asimov ever write about the butlerian jihad that must have happened between the two series?

[Grins Daneelishly*]

* Which is to say, awkwardly

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

thanks i will never buy these products

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
That's a correct statement....you'll never be able to afford the limited edition Charmin NFT anyways....

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i am harry posted:

thanks i will never buy these products
brands are brands but i'm glad i got my charmin poo poo paper before this

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qqbwkp5IYA1qzeo2z.mp4

They made Jonestown with influencers instead of communism :negative:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ekuNNN posted:

when do they drink the #koolaid? #stoked

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ekuNNN posted:

Gonna guess all of the white people were hired to show up for two weeks so that it looks good, then the whole thing collapses and the developer just leaves with the money.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gentrifying developing countries is good actually
-a thing white people genuinely, truly believe

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

anyone notice more and more people slurring like this lady does? she speaks like that meme where the middle letters of every word are scrambled but you can still read the words somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

jettisonedstuff posted:

anyone notice more and more people slurring like this lady does? she speaks like that meme where the middle letters of every word are scrambled but you can still read the words somehow

she;s from Los Angeles OP its how they've always talked