Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ded posted:

you know RT is a full on russian propaganda arm, right?

do you think i want or that biden would agree to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/SuzyNakamura/status/1372653340002193410?s=20

In case anyone was curious about exactly what would happen to the mass murderer and the Cherokee County sheriff's department officer who stuck up for him saying he had a bad day.

"Captain Baker had a bad day, the worst day of his entire 28 years and by the way he really supports the local Asian-American community" (please ignore his racist as gently caress Chy-na shirt side hustle)

Where's general sherman when you need him

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 19, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I often wonder just what exactly the gently caress Tucker Carlson has on them that Fox News simply will not ever dethrone the guy. He’s made so many egregious fuckups and continues to spout the worst most painfully obvious crisis provoking drivel and he’s still on the air. Nearly every single other one of their prime time show heads has been taken down for lesser evils. I guess he hasn’t sexually harassed/assaulted any employees there (like all the other ones) so that must be the the straw that breaks the camel’s back for them. I just don’t get it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I often wonder just what exactly the gently caress Tucker Carlson has on them that Fox News simply will not ever dethrone the guy. He’s made so many egregious fuckups and continues to spout the worst most painfully obvious crisis provoking drivel and he’s still on the air. Nearly every single other one of their prime time show heads has been taken down for lesser evils. I guess he hasn’t sexually harassed/assaulted any employees there (like all the other ones) so that must be the the straw that breaks the camel’s back for them. I just don’t get it.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/week-of-march-8-cable-network-ranker-tucker-carlson-leads-fox-news-to-a-no-1-ranking/473995/

quote:

Fox News also remains the top-rated in all of cable in total prime time viewers year-to-date and notched its 4th consecutive week as No. 1 in all of cable in total viewers.

Additionally, Tucker Carlson moved back into the No. 1 slot on cable news, finishing the week as the top program in total viewers (3.5 million) and among adults 25-54 (591,000). Hannity ranked No. 2 on cable news in the demo, and No. 3 in total viewers.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I guess people love being angry.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Blind Rasputin posted:

I guess people love being angry.

Yeah, that's what made Facebook successful

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I hate born rich fucks telling me how the world works.

Like Anderson Cooper.

Also never not posting Ticker Carlson getting big mad for being told he should pay taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFI2Zb7qE

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 19, 2021

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

PookBear posted:

cops would arrest black people for saying the n word

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Blind Rasputin posted:

Either the number of eyes has to drop or they have to become so toxic most advertisers won't touch them. Tucker manages to stay on the good side of advertisers is the biggest difference.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why the gently caress would they get rid of them? Murdoch agrees with everything he says

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/SuzyNakamura/status/1372653340002193410?s=20

In case anyone was curious about exactly what would happen to the mass murderer and the Cherokee County sheriff's department officer who stuck up for him saying he had a bad day.

"Captain Baker had a bad day, the worst day of his entire 28 years and by the way he really supports the local Asian-American community" (please ignore his racist as gently caress Chy-na shirt side hustle)

Where's general sherman when you need him

Cause you had a bad day
Your internets down
You purchase a gun with a quick turn around
You say you don't know
You tell me, "don't lie"
The cops buy you pizza , and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
Their t-shirts are racist, to hate crimes theyre blind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 19, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

Cause you had a bad day
Your internets down
You say you don't know
You tell me, "don't lie"
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

:perfect:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

lightpole posted:

Either the number of eyes has to drop or they have to become so toxic most advertisers won't touch them. Tucker manages to stay on the good side of advertisers is the biggest difference.

Tucker doesn't have that many advertisers, he's pretty radioactive. The problem is that he brings lots and lots of eyeballs, so Fox News can charge lots of money to the cable companies because olds aren't going to cut the cord anytime soon. Activists are claiming Fox News charges like 8x the carriage fees of most other networks. So Tucker's show mostly sticks to MyPillow ads and ads for other shows. And Fox is so desperate to keep the eyeballs that they're now airing Tucker clips in the morning for their "news" people to talk about.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Sacrist65 posted:

Cause you had a bad day
Your internets down
You say you don't know
You tell me, "don't lie"
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

Goddamn amazing

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sacrist65 posted:

Cause you had a bad day
Your internets down
You say you don't know
You tell me, "don't lie"
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/mrmarkpotts/status/1372614279573118977?s=20

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I just found this article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56453806

The headline really caught my eyes. Shouldn't the headline on a story like this be more in lines with "Mob Attacks Man After Attempted Hate Crime" or "Attacks on Asian-Americans on the Rise", etc.

The video in the article shows a person, assumed to be the attacker, being carried off in a stretcher.

I can't tell if BBC wants to scare Asian-Americans, inform them, or something else. I understand that there are some "rules" for journalism, but couldn't this story have served a better purpose? If I belonged to that group/community/etc, I would want that story to read more along the lines of "dude rolled in, hosed around, and found out".

At what point do these stories only serve to incite more violence? Does that happen? Did I just obsess over the headline to much and it colored my reading of the article? It just seems like the author is really trying to paint a picture in which that community is portrayed as weak and vulnerable, ripe for more attacks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What percentage of americans do you think watches BBC news?

I mean, sure, you'll have a small percentage for a variety of reasons, but BBC has as much sway as Sky or Al-jazeera in the states, effectively gently caress-all.

If anything they wrote it for the clicks. 76 y/o granny fends off attacker is pretty clickbait-y, I half expected it to be an Outbrain article.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What percentage of americans do you think watches BBC news?

I mean, sure, you'll have a small percentage for a variety of reasons, but BBC has as much sway as Sky or Al-jazeera in the states, effectively gently caress-all.

If anything they wrote it for the clicks. 76 y/o granny fends off attacker is pretty clickbait-y, I half expected it to be an Outbrain article.

Fair point. The headline REALLY stuck out to me, especially since I rarely see those kind of headlines from BBC, maybe I am just lucky and haven't seen many of the cringy headlines.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nah the BBC has a lot of issues

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, BBC puts a lot of lipstick on their news pig. They're no Mirror, but no better than lots of bullshit you'd see on CNNs' website.

I love me some brit media, but their news is rather meh. Slightly better news sources are AJ English and DW. BBC is best on the radio anyhow, mixed in with NPR broadcasts over a cup of coffee and a cigarette. They hit the high notes of the headlines well, it's after the headlines that they start tanking with tabloid quality news.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, BBC puts a lot of lipstick on their news pig. They're no Mirror, but no better than lots of bullshit you'd see on CNNs' website.

I love me some brit media, but their news is rather meh. Slightly better news sources are AJ English and DW. BBC is best on the radio anyhow, mixed in with NPR broadcasts over a cup of coffee and a cigarette. They hit the high notes of the headlines well, it's after the headlines that they start tanking with tabloid quality news.

That's been my experience too. I like listening to their quick world news blurb to get a non-US focused take a couple times a week but I don't really bother with any long format stuff from them.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Unfortunately the quality of the BBC has taken a notable nose dive over the past decade as a result of funding cuts and successive governments installing their party members at the top, leading to a news service that is significantly hamstrung and unable to veer from whatever the most recent government briefing said.

UK media suffers at the moment particularly from journalists being happy to report directly from WhatsApp groups with ministers, and hence briefing whatever line they want out there with no questions asked.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I kinda wish BBC America would do a magazine style show once a week like CBS Sunday Morning. Some good news, some bad, then a handful of filler pieces about something historical or about nature or other feel good poo poo before cutting to a scene of squirrels stealing food from bird feeders at some conservancy and on with the day. Yeah it's fluff, but it's nice having some fluff news to fall into on a weekend morning instead of CNN and their all politics all weekend approach.

It's the brit accent. It's calming and reassuring compared to most american newscasters. World could be burning in my front yard and BBC would just make me want to take a bag of marshmallows outside with a lawn chair and some sticks.

I know BBC has bias. Just like every other nations' media mouthpieces. Generally their world news in better than our american news outlet take, which is basically nonexistent. Anything they have to say about their own country is just as hosed up as Fox and CNN here, or France24 for the French, Global for Canadians, etc.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 19, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
What do any of y'all recommend for news? Most of the papers I check daily (CNN, NYT,) are pretty lovely. I also occasionally read al-jazeera english or the BBC if there are international events in trying to follow.

I pretty much stopped reading all domestic stuff during the Trump presidency because it was loving worthless half the time.

Edit: oh I also refuse to get my news in podcast form kthnyx!!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I really like DW and AJ English, but that's more broadcast news related, something I can put on youtube and leave running. They both frequently do thorough pieces on smaller stories you definitely don't hear about in the states, like famines, in depth pieces on regional conflicts, bits and pieces about history in some sort of relevant context.

For ye olde internet scrolling, I just flip through my google news app feed. It's scattershot pattern for me, lots of "local" stations and papers, but also a few larger outlets I haven't blocked yet. If it's something really interesting to me, I just search for more relevant articles.

Google's news app will feed you a lot of bullshit though, and ads disguised as news. Takes a while to curate out the bullshit but I'm not doing much anyhow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I really like DW and AJ English, but that's more broadcast news related, something I can put on youtube and leave running. They both frequently do thorough pieces on smaller stories you definitely don't hear about in the states, like famines, in depth pieces on regional conflicts, bits and pieces about history in some sort of relevant context.

For ye olde internet scrolling, I just flip through my google news app feed. It's scattershot pattern for me, lots of "local" stations and papers, but also a few larger outlets I haven't blocked yet. If it's something really interesting to me, I just search for more relevant articles.

Google's news app will feed you a lot of bullshit though, and ads disguised as news. Takes a while to curate out the bullshit but I'm not doing much anyhow.

I use the google news feed at times and have slowly curated it over a long time. It's decent enough and I can just outright block sources like RT, Fox, CNN etc. For a big outlet I like to check if Reuters is running a story as well.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, it's just an aggregator, and often really annoying about it. Like they'll label Opinion articles, but won't let you filter those out entirely by the label. I despise opinion articles because they're all bullshit, and I don't want some "Dear Abby" garbage in my feed. If I don't want to see those articles, I have to block the source, which is sometimes a decent outlet (comparable to other acceptable trash outlets, I guess).

So for that, google can get hosed. My newsfeed doesn't need a Frasier-esque columnist section.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Grip it and rip it posted:

What do any of y'all recommend for news? Most of the papers I check daily (CNN, NYT,) are pretty lovely. I also occasionally read al-jazeera english or the BBC if there are international events in trying to follow.

I pretty much stopped reading all domestic stuff during the Trump presidency because it was loving worthless half the time.

Define news.

If it's a factual representation of current events, you've got AP, Reuters, etc and most of the major outlets just reprint their reporting.

If it's political analysis of recent events, it's pretty much all garbage.

If it's long-form investigation of long past events, the usual suspects are still pretty good. NYT, Washington Post, ProPublica, and some magazines.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

My usual hot spots

This thread

Soufan Center newsletter
https://thesoufancenter.org/intelbrief-2021-march-19/

Bellingcat front page
https://www.bellingcat.com/

The NYT newsletter

Maritime stuff (probably not as relevant to you)
USNI News https://news.usni.org/
gcaptain https://gcaptain.com/kongsberg-to-equip-first-u-s-built-wind-turbine-installation-vessel/

Most my general news comes during hygiene/travel in the morning podcasts that you're not interested in, included for completeness:
Marketplace (especially morning reports)
NPR Up First
And rarely, the NYT Daily

Edit: previous post reminded me I should add ProPublica to this list.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I watch Joe Rogan

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Google news app digs up gold on occasion.

WBTW: NC deputies find real firearms disguised as Nerf guns while conducting drug arrest.
https://www.wbtw.com/news/state-regional-news/nc-deputies-find-real-firearms-disguised-as-nerf-guns-while-conducting-drug-arrest/

I've never lived in either Carolina, but google throwing their weirdness into my feed isn't always a bad thing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I kinda wish BBC America would do a magazine style show once a week like CBS Sunday Morning. Some good news, some bad, then a handful of filler pieces about something historical or about nature or other feel good poo poo before cutting to a scene of squirrels stealing food from bird feeders at some conservancy and on with the day. Yeah it's fluff, but it's nice having some fluff news to fall into on a weekend morning instead of CNN and their all politics all weekend approach.

It's the brit accent. It's calming and reassuring compared to most american newscasters. World could be burning in my front yard and BBC would just make me want to take a bag of marshmallows outside with a lawn chair and some sticks.

You're looking for NHK World.

(Video at bottom of article)
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/1551/

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 19, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Unicorn Riot is cool and good

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

twitter

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
any news org that wants to be close to government is going to be inherently conservative and the BBC is about as incestuous as it gets in terms of that

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

BBC on radio was the only reason I click on links from them. I'm mostly NPR/AP/Reuters, but I also like to see the headlines from other sources to see how they are spinning things.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

shame on an IGA posted:

You're looking for NHK World.

I'm always forgetting the asian networks. Not intentionally, but there's a lot going on and I tend to burn out before I get that far around the globe in news networks. Same could be said of aussie news, but they're just as tainted with bullshit as american news thanks to Murdoch.

I'll flip through their youtube channel later today, it's been a while.

I tend to stick my car radio to whatever NPR station reaches me. They have their own problems, but it beats listening to Jesus, pop, country or fox news radio.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The one I linked is from yesterday and is about a guy who watched Fukushima blow up from on top of his barn and has spent the last 10 years defying government orders to slaughter his unsalable cattle because it's not their fault and fuuuuck you TEPCO, interspersed with sunrise footage and mooing. Only thing missing is Charles Kuralt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

A weekly. The amount of time you spend focused on small things that just make you angry is limited and the important things are filtered out. The Economist is good aside from its America's military needs to be active as a force for good stance and I am questioning the continued reliance on the HBS economic model as its outdated.