Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Works good on stuck lids too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dip Viscous posted:

My neighbors won't stop revving the engine of their car. I didn't even mind at first, because it's a nice sounding engine. But holy poo poo, it's continuous. They must have multiple people working in shifts to keep revving it day and night and refill the gas tank as it's running. There's only a brief break once every 40 hours or so, and they must be spending hundreds of dollars per month on gas for a car I've never seen move.

Those guys, in my parlance, as "The king of (blank)" This is not a complement.

For example, I live in Burnsville, MN. The guy that revs his engine like crazy at about 11PM is "The King of Burnsville". It's a nice sounding engine. I just don't like it at 11PM. If he wants to do that in the afternoon, cool, no worries, just don't get my dog all fired up at 11PM.

When I was in college, "The King of Bemidji" was the guy with a huge truck with huge tires. Body lift and everything. He would make laps around the block downtown reviving his engine like crazy at every stop sign. He had blown out glass packs and it did not sound cool. It sounded like a townie piece of crap car that made too much noise. Still, he was "The King of Bemidji".

Again, not a complement.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Discord: Oh wow our emotes sure suck! Instead of making them more flexible / support bigger ones, we'll add giant stickers!
"Oh, so you'll do like other platforms and add a marketplace so that artists can make + sell stickers, give them out as rewards/etc?"
Discord: Hahaha no of course not, we're the only ones that can sell them, and we're just making generic 'discord-brand' poo poo. You love our brand, right???
And we're also hammering on the artificial scarcity as much as possible, so even if you might want some specific stickers, we might cycle them out and stop selling them!

And annoyingly Discord is programmed not to play audio on imgur links, and treats them as autoplaying gifs, which is pretty annoying as well.
(Yes, I checked. They're loaded without controls, and set to volume:0. If you pop open the inspector you can just add controls to the class, and get play/pause/position + volume controls.)

I sure love it when programs arbitrarily and artificially limit themselves just to annoy people. (It could be a deal between them and Imgur, to drive traffic back there, but it's still so goddamn dumb.)
It's a bit like when services just suddenly cut huge chunks out of their free offering, to cannibalize the free userbase in the hopes of getting a few more premium users.
Like how LastPass recently made it so that you're -either- allowed to use it on pcs, or mobile. But using it on both kinds of devices requires premium.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh my loving GOD I was just on hold with the DMV for a hour and my question took 10 seconds to answer once I got an actual person.

I got an email weeks ago telling me my car's registration is due soon, but hey they're allowing renewals online! That's great! Went there to renew it but it told me it is not compliant with emissions. Well this is probably true. I haven't gotten it tested. Usually they send you a little card in the mail when your car is due to be tested, you take that card to the nearest mechanic or whatnot, and they test you for :20bux:. Easy peasy. Except I haven't gotten a card, and the registration is expiring quite soon.

So what did the lady say after I was on hold with them for an hour? "Oh, we're not sending out cards this year. Just go to a certified emissions place and you can get tested." :doh:

You don't think this was relevant information to include in the million automated messages I had to navigate?! Or the website?! OR RIGHT IN THE loving EMAIL YOU TWATS SENT ME?!?!?!?!? :argh:

And related peeve their stupid automated message kept saying their urls were "backslash [whatever]." BACKSLASHES DON'T GO IN URLS, YOU FUCKS! IF YOU DON'T KNOW JUST SAY SLASH!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand now I'm annoyed. I need something sugary. gently caress.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Silver Falcon posted:

And related peeve their stupid automated message kept saying their urls were "backslash [whatever]." BACKSLASHES DON'T GO IN URLS, YOU FUCKS! IF YOU DON'T KNOW JUST SAY SLASH!

My peeve is "forward-slash". It's just a slash. There's no such thing as a forward-slash. It's slash and backslash, and the average person has no reason to ever use a backslash so you really don't need to worry about anyone being confused.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If one is a backlash then the other is, by definition, a forward slash

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Collaboration rap songs that start great but then the featuring artist just throws in some bullshit that barely rhymes.

Actually, rap that doesn't rhyme in general. It all sounds like stream of consciousness ranting by a lunatic.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

DarkCrawler posted:

Collaboration rap songs that start great but then the featuring artist just throws in some bullshit that barely rhymes.

Actually, rap that doesn't rhyme in general. It all sounds like stream of consciousness ranting by a lunatic.

I've heard some mediocre rappers, sure, but never rap that just doesn't rhyme at all. May I ask who you're talking about?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh my loving GOD I was just on hold with the DMV for a hour and my question took 10 seconds to answer once I got an actual person.

I got an email weeks ago telling me my car's registration is due soon, but hey they're allowing renewals online! That's great! Went there to renew it but it told me it is not compliant with emissions. Well this is probably true. I haven't gotten it tested. Usually they send you a little card in the mail when your car is due to be tested, you take that card to the nearest mechanic or whatnot, and they test you for :20bux:. Easy peasy. Except I haven't gotten a card, and the registration is expiring quite soon.

So what did the lady say after I was on hold with them for an hour? "Oh, we're not sending out cards this year. Just go to a certified emissions place and you can get tested." :doh:

You don't think this was relevant information to include in the million automated messages I had to navigate?! Or the website?! OR RIGHT IN THE loving EMAIL YOU TWATS SENT ME?!?!?!?!? :argh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand now I'm annoyed. I need something sugary. gently caress.

I had a similar thing happen last year with my state's DMV but luckily I was just able to google it. I renewed my registration online and when I received the new plate sticker instead of the year it just said "TEMP" with no explanation as to why. After searching online I discovered that this meant the state was sending me a new license plate and that it would have the proper year sticker on it. Would have been nice for them to actually mention it at some point.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I've heard some mediocre rappers, sure, but never rap that just doesn't rhyme at all. May I ask who you're talking about?

Well most recently, Apakalypse. I really like Beast 1333 lyrically/thematically but he really needs to stop featuring someone who sounds like the local tinfoil bum's sundown rants, only with beat behind it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Maybe my mind just doesn't work the right way, but I really hate stupid corporate infographics. There's just too much information, and so little substance, they reek of bullshit, but people seem to build careers on using them and referring to them a whole lot. poo poo like this just breaks my brain

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i have to read a lovely e-book that will only work with "bookshelf" this has to be the worst ebook reader

i cant even use cursor keys to go to the next page, it probably works with swipes on a tablet but im on a laptop. the only way to go to the next page is to click on a button in the program itself with the mouse cursor, theres no hotkey on the keyboard for doing it, the thing also has no settings. this is what happens when you let "apps" replace programs

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who punctuate their sentences with laughter. Like if you're updating the group and say you haven't made any progress this week and laugh, that's not funny and it makes it weird when you laugh about it. It's like you're trying to make the atmosphere lighter, but all I hear is "i'm not only bad at my job, I also don't take it seriously".

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If one is a backlash then the other is, by definition, a forward slash

Exactly. Look at it as we do for the naming of states.

North Dakota/South Dakota
North Carolina/South Carolina
West Virginia\Virginia

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
People who don't immediately wash and dry their dishes are bad people. Waiting until you have a full load for the dishwasher makes you a bad person. Waiting until your roommate does all the dishes because she "has a system" and you "don't want to gently caress it up" deserves, at the very least, probation served in the dishpit at a busy Chili's for half a week.

People who leave their wet laundry in the only washing machine for a mile? Guillotine.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

fizzymercury posted:

People who don't immediately wash and dry their dishes are bad people. Waiting until you have a full load for the dishwasher makes you a bad person. Waiting until your roommate does all the dishes because she "has a system" and you "don't want to gently caress it up" deserves, at the very least, probation served in the dishpit at a busy Chili's for half a week.

I also hate water efficiency and conservation.

Although a bunch of super grody dishes sucks. Get the obvious food off and then dishes can sit in the dishwasher until a full load is achieved

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I also hate water efficiency and conservation.

Although a bunch of super grody dishes sucks. Get the obvious food off and then dishes can sit in the dishwasher until a full load is achieved

I don't mind that so much but at the very least do that. Or do what I do and have a tub of wash water ready and wash and rinse as you go, putting them in the dishwasher to dry.

But don't leave a tumble down pile of gross dishes with a single knife artfully balanced on top. And woe betide the person that leaves something like that overnight. It's shameful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I used to have to deal with that when my roommate was recovering from surgery. She would insist on doing the dishes, but she couldn't just stand there long enough, so they would just pile up untill she was sleeping while I was awake (surprisingly difficult with someone who's sleep is all hosed up from pain).

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've gotten a bunch of equipment delivered for a project. The boxes are all those nice rip-openable cardboard boxes.
The boxes helpfully state what parts recycle as what, and then there's a lovely, not-at-all condescending bit of "Thank you dear customer for recycling!" text on the box.
And while they're very easy to open thanks to the whole tear open mechanism on the bottom, actually dismantling the things to recycle them is way more of a hassle than it needs to be, since everything is glued together. (And sometimes there's an extra layer of cardboard over the corners.)
I really wish the practical opening mechanism was designed to make the things easier to take apart and recycle. Not just as a gimmick to make it easy to open. (Ripping them open around the sides or something, maybe?)

I massively prefer it when I just get a normal type cardboard box. Sure there's a bit of bubble wrap/air pockets in it, but atleast it's just 2 pieces of tape to get rid of and you have a nice, flat piece of carboard. And the plastic is already separated (And reusable for the next time I move or send a package. Hell, same applies to the box).
(Instead of glued into the sides/frame like in the more elaborately designed ones.)

They just feel designed for people to rip them open and just chuck the non-flat box in the trash, like a bunch of idiots in my building do in the trash room.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Static shocks are becoming my peeve. Lately i can't open any door, can't flip a light switch, can't wash my hands without getting shocked.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I hear you. If I don't remember to touch my metal mousepad before picking up my headphones, both my computer and I wind up shocked. My computer can get so shocked it BSoDs and reboots. Not fun.

Or when I have the temerity to shift my feet on the carpet with my headphones on. OW

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Losing poo poo by dropping it.

I dropped a flashlight a couple of hours ago. I was indoors. I saw it drop. I heard it land. But it's 100% loving gone. How? How does this happen repeatedly?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Seriously. How does stuff of an actual size get lost like that?

Mine is a little different since we didn't drop it, it just disappeared one day. Our dog's treat tin just went missing out of nowhere last week. We only ever keep it in a couple places and somehow this thing just doesn't exist anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if my dog got ahold of it and ripped it to shreds but it's not the kind of thing that he could eat entirely without seriously injuring himself, and he's perfectly fine. Where the hell did this dumb thing disappear to?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Grabbing the big trash bags from the roll at work sends electric shocks up my iPhone earbuds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Static shocks are becoming my peeve. Lately i can't open any door, can't flip a light switch, can't wash my hands without getting shocked.

Synthetic fibers and especially synthetic carpets are absolute bastards when the air is dry.

I've never had issues with wool, even though it's supposed to be even worse. Wear cotton and linen, I guess.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

ESD shoes really work. I don't think I've received a static shock since third grade.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dip Viscous posted:

ESD shoes really work. I don't think I've received a static shock since third grade.

I get a shock every time I go to kiss my baby on the forehead :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Once when my cat was still pretty young, I woke up on the couch to her running around the living room with sparks coming off her very fluffy rear end.

Weirdly enough I don't think I've seen or had static electricity since.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People (boomers) who just text CALL ME.

Why? Are you picking up takeout or is Uncle Jim dead?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My boomer dad once texted me "a tragedy has happened, please call" and the punchline is that he was unpacking my car for me and dropped/broke a fancy communion set I had gotten for my newly frocked sister.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
"Hey, call me when you get a chance"

Sure, but that chance won't come for a couple hours so I guess I'm going to surf on a wave of anxiety until then.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When "captchas" tell you to "please try again" implying you screwed up when actually they are clearly wrong. Nobody would call a motorcycle a bicycle so i'm not going to click on it when you tell me to select all the bicycles.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When "captchas" tell you to "please try again" implying you screwed up when actually they are clearly wrong. Nobody would call a motorcycle a bicycle so i'm not going to click on it when you tell me to select all the bicycles.

Look at you, actually trying to train the deathbot AI

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My mom once called me, at about 7:15 am while I was driving to work in, and left the message to call her back. I'm of course thinking someone's dead or in the hospital.

So I call back, and she just wants to talk about my plans for Christmas that year. This was in September

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

that thing cats do what where they will just stand there and stare at your approach in one spot, until you try to step over them... and then they'll run right where you're trying to put your foot

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also, wanting to show someone a video, telling them you will show them the video, they agree to watch the video, and then they're looking at their phone the whole time and have no clue what happened in the video. Effort well-spent!

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Setting a timer on the microwave: push Timer, enter a time, push Timer again. Beeps frantically if you push Start instead.

Setting a timer on the oven: push Timer, enter a time, push Start. Cancels time entry if you hit Timer instead.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

microwaves that dont let you set time and frequency instead just have programs where you have to enter the weight of the item

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shibawanko posted:

microwaves that dont let you set time and frequency instead just have programs where you have to enter the weight of the item

Related ovens that just have a dial to turn to set the temperature. Just let me punch in the numbers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Winter Stormer posted:

Setting a timer on the microwave: push Timer, enter a time, push Timer again. Beeps frantically if you push Start instead.

Setting a timer on the oven: push Timer, enter a time, push Start. Cancels time entry if you hit Timer instead.

Related:
Setting a clock on a microwave. Generally, you do it so little you never remember (at least I don't) the process.

Is it push clock, enter time, push clock again?
HOLD clock, enter time, then hit START?
Do I have to use a leading 0 of it's not 10, 11, or 12?

All minor things, but invariably I'll have to try and enter the time like 3 times before it finally accepts it.

My coffee maker is worse. It only counts "up" (so if the power is reset, it starts as 12:00 PM and goes from there) and at a VERY slow speed, and does not speed up the longer you hold the time button.
If I lose power or it gets unplugged, I purposely don't set the time until the next day just past noon.

But the worst part is the auto-start is the same way. Even though, logically, most people who use auto-start are going to want it in the morning, it still starts at 12 NOON, not midnight, so you have to go all the way around, now hitting TWO buttons simultaneously (the "set time" and the "set auto-start") until it wraps all the way back around to when you want it (for me, 6:45 AM, I imagine most people are in the realm of 6 to 8 AM.)