Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

‘Wetordry’ is a brand name for a type of wet sandpaper made by 3M.

Any wet sandpaper can also be used dry, the water or oil or mineral spirits just acts as a lubricant to keep the paper from clogging which is especially important at finer grits. You usually only wet sand finishes. Regular dry sandpaper can’t be used wet for the most part. Wet sandpaper has a different backing (plastic or fabric or some kind of resin-impregnated/water-resistant paper) from dry sandpaper (which uses plain paper that will melt if it gets wet). The adhesives holding the abrasive to the backing are also likely different. Wet sandpaper usually uses a black silicon carbide abrasive-regular brown paper is usually garnet or aluminum oxide. I can’t remember exactly why silicon carbide gets used (maybe just because it can be manufactured finer?) but I can look it up at work in the AM if for some reason you need to know even more tedious detail about sandpaper.

What are you trying to do?

Thanks! I've basically got a 1200 grit cutting disc based on some sort of resin material for gemcutting. The instructions say I need to burnish it with 400 grit wet or dry (I guess wet is the same then) sandpaper before use. Getting some 400 grit grains stuck in the cutting surface would really suck, the seller seemed confident that the right sandpaper should not have that issue though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey gang, this isn't so important that it actually needs an answer, but I'm curious as to what someone might be able to discern from this problem I'm having using Hulu on my Galaxy s10e. The problem is this: when I use Hulu at home on my wifi on this phone, Hulu will play the movie for about three minutes and then it will halt. After a spinning circle rotates enough times, Hulu tells me "We're having trouble playing this right now..." From there, I can navigate Hulu, but no movies will play. Once I close the program, it will not open again. I have to reset the phone to make it work.

So the thing about all this is that this only happens on my wifi at home. I can use Hulu anywhere else no problem, and I can use the wifi at home with no problem. I can use any other program on my wifi with no problem. This is very specifically just Hulu, and only after about three minutes of playing a movie (I haven't actually timed it, but it's consistent.)

Like I said, this doesn't really need a solution. Restarting the phone doesn't take much time. But I can't imagine what is causing this very specific problem to happen under these very specific circumstances.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Organza Quiz posted:

Dude take your cat to the vet.

Absolutely this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's 100% incorrect and has always been.

Interestingly, if enough people incorrectly “know” it costs more to insure a red car then that could be a big reason for weaker demand for red cars.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

red seems like one of the more common options for a lot of cars. not as common on the street as black, gray, blue, or white, but still pretty common. more rare colors these days are yellow, purple, pink, orange, brown, and many shades of green.

of course these trends shift over time, there were a lot more green and brown cars in the 70's than there are now (and even some common yellow ones), and the grays and muted blues that are common today were less popular then

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Earwicker posted:

red seems like one of the more common options for a lot of cars. not as common on the street as black, gray, blue, or white, but still pretty common. more rare colors these days are yellow, purple, pink, orange, brown, and many shades of green.

of course these trends shift over time, there were a lot more green and brown cars in the 70's than there are now (and even some common yellow ones), and the grays and muted blues that are common today were less popular then

It also depends on the kind of car. I see a bunch of yellow sports cars.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea thats true certain very expensive sports cars come in bright yellow

i was thinking more of the range of creamy yellow to light beige that was more common on all kinds of cars in the 70's and 80's

used to see it on the street all the time but its not a color thats been common on new models in the same categories for like 30 years now

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Earwicker posted:

yea thats true certain very expensive sports cars come in bright yellow

i was thinking more of the range of creamy yellow to light beige that was more common on all kinds of cars in the 70's and 80's

used to see it on the street all the time but its not a color thats been common on new models in the same categories for like 30 years now

The 70s made a lot of poor color choices

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

It also depends on the kind of car. I see a bunch of yellow sports cars.

Getting a sports car is 90% standing out. Getting a dark grey Lamborghini is just seeing defeating. Traditional is yellow for Lamborghini and red for Ferrari.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any advice when it comes to mounting a TV over a fireplace? The legs on our TV are too wide for the mantle and even if they weren't we don't want to crane our necks upward to watch TV. I found some mounts online that pull out and down.

As far as installing them goes, anything I need to look out for? The nearest outlet is in the corner and I'd like to hide the wires too.

We've got speakers, a subwoofer, a switch, and a blu-ray player. I'd like to put the speakers on small shelves so they're also off the floor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Elderbean posted:

Any advice when it comes to mounting a TV over a fireplace? The legs on our TV are too wide for the mantle and even if they weren't we don't want to crane our necks upward to watch TV. I found some mounts online that pull out and down.

As far as installing them goes, anything I need to look out for? The nearest outlet is in the corner and I'd like to hide the wires too.

We've got speakers, a subwoofer, a switch, and a blu-ray player. I'd like to put the speakers on small shelves so they're also off the floor.
i have a mantelmount, it's probably one of the ones you saw. it's great but took a couple hours to install and look nice and level. depending on the space between your bricks, you might be able to fit the cables between the gaps and paint them to hide them. i also painted the backplate that covers up the bracket

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
So my wife and I just bought a house with a TV mounted above the fireplace with wires hidden in the wall. It seems like hiding the wires in the wall was such a pain in the rear end to do, they installed 2 hdmi cables so that if one breaks, they never had to do it again.

The previous owner left them both where they were.

Sorry I don't have any experience actually doing the install.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Why would you want your TV so high?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe he has huge couches so people sit 6 feet off the ground

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

It's a small place and there's nowhere else that a TV and a couch would really fit. There are mounts that allow you to pull a TV down to eye level when it's being used so that's what we're gonna use.

Right now, it's just sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace and I want it off the floor. It's a gas fireplace and the wall is drywall.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Slimy Hog posted:

he specifically mentions ones that pull down. mine does this and i leave it lowered all the time because i don't use that fireplace

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

butt dickus posted:

he specifically mentions ones that pull down. mine does this and i leave it lowered all the time because i don't use that fireplace

You expect me to read the whole post instead of immediately judging them and looking like a fool?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why did the Soviets decide to keep Konigsberg/Kaliningrad instead of making it part of Poland?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
iirc russia (or the russian SSR) in particular wanted a warm water port for the winter, so koenigsberg fit the bill

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

Why did the Soviets decide to keep Konigsberg/Kaliningrad instead of making it part of Poland?

I thought there was a milhist thread post about this, but I couldn’t turn it up so have this:

quote:

The Kaliningrad exclave was very much an atypical example of the Soviet rearranging of national territory and its continued existence as Russian territory after the fall of the USSR reflects its relative uniqueness.

When he was looking to the postwar map, Stalin saw the Soviet acquisition of Königsberg as a strategic priority for the Soviet Union as he thought that the USSR needed an ice-free winter port on the Baltic. In meetings with the Allies, Stalin would claim that this portion of East Prussia was "ancient Slavic soil," and this territory would be naturally be Soviet after the war because of this historical provenance. Although the Western Allies initially agreed to this annexation, the Königsberg issue rose up again at Potsdam when Truman and Churchill floated the idea of an Allied Occupation of East Prussia that would oversee a German administration. Stalin outright refused and boldly asserted that the Soviets would throw out any provisional German administration. Additionally, this Slavic soil belonged to the USSR by virtue of the blood shed liberating it from its German occupiers.

The need for Soviet security also colored how the Soviets parceled out this territory to their new allies and SSRs. While Poland and the Lithuanian SSR received the southern portions of East Prussia, Königsberg became the focal point of a separate oblast. Rather than having it incorporated directly into the Lithuanian SSR, Kaliningrad became a part of the RSFSR. Again, security reasons predominated this as Kaliningrad became the home base of the Soviet Baltic Fleet and Stalin was leery of allowing the newly created Lithuanian SSR access to these military installations. The real collateral damage from the Soviet's preoccupation with security was the oblast's remaining German population, who became seen as a potential fifth column in this military zone. The result was the USSR expelled these Germans in 1947 and brought in Soviet settlers, many of whom were ethnically Russian.

So by 1991, this area had lost most of its original German inhabitants and its population was quite different than its neighboring states. Neither Poland nor Lithuania had any real claim based upon ethnicity to the oblast. In theory, the Germans could have claimed it; despite Stalin's claims about Slavic soil, the region was pretty thoroughly Germanized in 1945 and had been for quite some time. Yet Kohl really did not see the recovery of any lost Eastern territories as a priority in the negotiations over German reunification and he correctly recognized such a position would be counterproductive to the whole project. Part of the 2 + 4 agreement that formalized German reunification included a formal renunciation of any German claims on territory parceled out during the Potsdam Conference.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
There are braille displays with lots of little rods so the user can move their finger across them and control reading speed, etc. But has there been something you wear on your hand and finger that uses haptic technology (or six tiny rods?) to simulate one of those displays using motion tracking or similar?

Like if a video game controller can detect precise position in space, why can't we make a virtual braille display by tracking the finger? I imagine maybe it's too expensive or too heavy on the finger to get six points felt precisely, or maybe there's a speed limitation in that you can't change what the finger feels nearly fast enough, etc.

I searched for "haptic braille" and found three different products/prototypes that all were almost entirely different from this so even just the right keyword(s) would be helpful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dirby posted:

Like if a video game controller can detect precise position in space, why can't we make a virtual braille display by tracking the finger? I imagine maybe it's too expensive or too heavy on the finger to get six points felt precisely, or maybe there's a speed limitation in that you can't change what the finger feels nearly fast enough, etc.

It’s an interesting idea. The closest I could find was the DOT smart watch, and it’s not close at all. The form factor could work, and it has one or more accelerometers in it, but in demos it certainly does not behave like you are describing. I think there is a good reason for that.

Blind people depend on the feel of the the bumps sliding under their fingers as they move along a line of text. It would not due to simply push the pins up and down under a stationary finger.

I also don’t think it would be enough to have a high-resolution pin grid in the left–right axis and have the pins rise and fall like waves. I think the sliding friction is important, but I’ve never used braille, so I could be wrong and it would not be so hard to get used to.

Assuming that sliding friction is important, we’re looking at some kind of belt or drum system with pins moving within it. Think of a music box or a player piano that can change tune on-the-fly That sounds like an interesting mechanical challenge, but it’s just that: a challenge, and if it were solved, it wouldn’t necessarily result in a successful device.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I read an article once about putting a "display" on the tongue which was good enough to allow blinded people to navigate around basic obstacles. The problem with fingers is that they're too small to fit enough pixels in for a useful display. The tongue is larger and also sensitive enough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Platystemon posted:

I think the sliding friction is important, but I’ve never used braille, so I could be wrong and it would not be so hard to get used to.
Not blind, but I tried learning Braille once and sliding your fingers back and forth definitely seemed necessary to me. If you just put your finger on the bumps and hold still you can't really tell what they are at all. I think some light vibration could be enough to provide that, though.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I think there's probably been less innovation in braille technology then there otherwise would have been since screen readers (including those on cell phones) really exploded in usefulness/popularity. That does sound like a dope idea though.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

dirby posted:

There are braille displays with lots of little rods so the user can move their finger across them and control reading speed, etc. But has there been something you wear on your hand and finger that uses haptic technology (or six tiny rods?) to simulate one of those displays using motion tracking or similar?

I searched for "haptic braille" and found three different products/prototypes that all were almost entirely different from this so even just the right keyword(s) would be helpful.
Blind people just use text to voice.
https://twitter.com/kristy_viers/status/1287189581926981634?lang=en

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What's the functional difference between making pour over coffee and using a plain old drip coffee maker? Mechanically the action seems identical.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This fairly non-tendentious blogpost sums it up.

Anecdotally, I have a friend who is very invested in using different water temperatures for different beans/roasts, which I doubt even a fancy drip coffeemaker offers as an option.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the functional difference between making pour over coffee and using a plain old drip coffee maker? Mechanically the action seems identical.

As someone who buys expensive beans for his pour over, they're pretty similar, but you get more control over timing and distribution manually. And the technique requires different pouring speeds depending on amount of coffee and what step in the pouring you're on. I think you could probably engineer a machine to do it right, but nerds like me wouldn't buy it anyway, and no one else would either because it would be a lot more expensive.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Somebody should tell her to set the screen brightness to zero and to get double the normal battery life of a Looker's phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Methanar posted:

Somebody should tell her to set the screen brightness to zero and to get double the normal battery life of a Looker's phone.

She probably does for normal use. There was a woman in my CS cohort who was blind, and her computer screen was always off. I don't remember if I ever saw her using her phone, but I'd imagine the same thing applied.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

She probably does for normal use. There was a woman in my CS cohort who was blind, and her computer screen was always off. I don't remember if I ever saw her using her phone, but I'd imagine the same thing applied.

I knew a blind guy in university as well and he regularly used his phone from inside his pocket. Just an earbud sticking out of his pocket was like the whole phone experience for him.

It almost made me want to learn how the accessibility stuff works so I could do the same.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why does wind vary in speeds, like gusts and stuff? If you stand near a riverbank all the water will flow at the same rate from the point of where you are, but something like wind will blow at different speeds.Why isn’t it constant? I don’t understand it.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
All the water in a river does not flow at the same rate, laminar flow will be slower at the sides and near the bottom, and turbulent flow will have dozens of different directions for different parts of the water to be moving at any time. The same is true for wind, because wind is also a fluid. It's a very large scale function of the temperatures and air parcels and poo poo that are all around you, and it's also being dragged by friction in different directions and poo poo as it moves.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

That's 100% incorrect and has always been.

I feel betrayed. Yet another thing my high school teachers have said that I simply accepted without question.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Why does wind vary in speeds, like gusts and stuff? If you stand near a riverbank all the water will flow at the same rate from the point of where you are, but something like wind will blow at different speeds.Why isn’t it constant? I don’t understand it.

Take some heart in the fact that the physics of fluids is extremely complicated and expensive to simulate. Weather is fundamentally chaotic, meaning that a small change in the system can have drastic changes in observed behaviors later on in time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

All the water in a river does not flow at the same rate, laminar flow will be slower at the sides and near the bottom, and turbulent flow will have dozens of different directions for different parts of the water to be moving at any time. The same is true for wind, because wind is also a fluid. It's a very large scale function of the temperatures and air parcels and poo poo that are all around you, and it's also being dragged by friction in different directions and poo poo as it moves.

Not only this but water in most flow scenarios is an incompressible fluid (also known as a liquid), and air can change density.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
hey follow up to the garage issue, i got the knob removed and replaced with a deadbolt, so yay!

now the issue is the electrical in there, I'm getting 60 volts on the voltmeter instead of 120, and I don't know much about electricity but I know that's not right. the wiring in there looks pretty slap dash so it's probably hosed up somewhere, right?

edit: gently caress wrong thread

erosion fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 20, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I swear to god it sounds like siri is frantically saying "Kristy, please, don't touch me there, please, stop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Is it normal to start to get headaches while studying, after a long time of not?

I'm starting to buckle down on my studies today with the aim of doing a couple of hours today (my usual being a couple of hours over a week or two). But I'm about an hour into it and I'm starting to get a pretty bad headache. Is this like, the brain not being used to working so much in such a short space of time, meaning I need to slowly build up to extended times. Or is it psychosomatic and I just need to force my way through it?

I'm not one to suffer from headaches usually so while this might just be poor timing, its unlikely.