Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

VelociBacon posted:

That would be fantastic. My partner is half First Nations and half South American so I get to eat a lot of bannock and arepas, the latter being something that I'm always surprised isn't more mainstream. It's so flexible and easy.

It was great, up in Temagami. We could pick wild blueberries that grew everywhere for whatever, oatmeal, pancakes, bannock, just for eating, etc. Mind you the guides told us the bears liked to pee on wild blueberries but I think that was just to ensure we washed them well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

VelociBacon posted:

That would be fantastic. My partner is half First Nations and half South American so I get to eat a lot of bannock and arepas, the latter being something that I'm always surprised isn't more mainstream. It's so flexible and easy.

mmm arepas although i usually end up just making pupusas if i've gone to that much trouble

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mediaphage posted:

mmm arepas although i usually end up just making pupusas if i've gone to that much trouble

Those look really cool. How hard is it to do the filling?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Those look really cool. How hard is it to do the filling?

super easy! you just take the masa balls and press them into a cup shape, then put a couple tablespoons of whatever you want inside. i usually do beans, cheese, beans and cheese, shredded chicken/pork, chicken/pork and cheese, or greens and cheese (like loroco or nopales if you want something from mexico or central america (these are salvadorean i think?); i just use whatever green i have in the fridge). then you just pinch them closed, pat them back down into patties and fry 'em up

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Depends on what kind of camping, really. For hiking, I'm sublimely unpicky and survive on mountain house dehydrated whatever and the good fruit and nut granola bars for munching without stopping walking.

If I'm doing lazy-rear end car camping, it's a cooler full of beer, a few bags of chips, and smoked sausages on sticks so nobody has to actually cook or wash dishes, we can all just sit around, bullshit, drink beer and reheat already cooked meat.

I don't do real camp cooking because I don't like doing dishes in the middle of nowhere, or carrying pots and pans.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Girl Scout camp as a kiddo is how I learned to make French toast so that’s my go-to camping meal forever after.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh, I have to try making Arepas. There is a local restaurant that does them, but it's on the opposite side of town, and tends to have pretty long waits for food if you don't plan ahead.

One lazy/cheap hiking food I like is dressed up instant mashed potatoes. You can put all sorts of things in them, and they are basically done as soon as you add water. Hard cheese that doesn't need cold, sliced spam, instant onions, dehydrated mushrooms... Get your carb on.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I simply tie a crust of bread to my belt, and with Carlo set out for the upper slopes of the Pilot Peak Ridge, and have a good day.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Oh, I have to try making Arepas. There is a local restaurant that does them, but it's on the opposite side of town, and tends to have pretty long waits for food if you don't plan ahead.

One lazy/cheap hiking food I like is dressed up instant mashed potatoes. You can put all sorts of things in them, and they are basically done as soon as you add water. Hard cheese that doesn't need cold, sliced spam, instant onions, dehydrated mushrooms... Get your carb on.

Oh lord, I used to do 3+ weeks in the backcountry and I will never forget the time we mixed up powdered mash for powdered milk and got a very rude awakening after heating the pot.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Sounds like it would fit the thread title well. How was the milk-goo?

Powdered milk, gov'ment peanut butter, powdered sugar, raisins, and dry oatmeal was a 'nutrition bar' I recall with likely rose tinted glasses, when I was a kid. Would get them in our summer program for poor kids in the 80s, and they were the best! So long as you had little cartons of milk to wash them down...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We got butter and huge blocks of American cheese. Cause that's what poor people need.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Can't really complain about the cheese, though. It was tasty.

We also got #5 cans of peanut butter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hmmm 5 pounds of peanut butter. that might last me a month.....

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

peter pan peanut butter is the closest I've tasted to the 80s government issue poor people food

i can't eat concord grape jelly, grape juice, fruit cocktail and skim milk (because of powdered milk) because of my childhood. it basically killed my sweet tooth.

peanut butter and cheese still own, though :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Instead of buying a Weber pizza kit I decided to use the broiler drawer in my piece of poo poo oven and my baking steel and holy crap it was good

Frozen elementary school cheese pizza with guanciale and artichoke that I added

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Until today, I'd never seen shelf-stable cheese:

And as my friend put it:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you’ve probably seen things like sausage packs, cheese-filled crackers, canned cheese, and cheez whiz before. a lot of cheese is shelf stable to a point, it’s not like it’s kept at fridge temperature the whole time it’s being made

but really if you put something on the outside to keep mould away and didn’t have it in an anoxic environment a lot of it would probably last a pretty long time.

that said that block is going to be like the cheese you get in a snack pack with slim jim than something like a good cheddar

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

canned cheese, and cheez whiz before.

Jarring and canning are long term preservation methods though, this is a big standard plastic vacuum seal for like, a kilogram of cheese.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Jarring and canning are long term preservation methods though, this is a big standard plastic vacuum seal for like, a kilogram of cheese.

all you said was shelf stable, and i was pointing out shelf-stable foods. besides which, i still brought up crackers and those vending machine snack packs, which all contain the same sort of cheese as this, i.e., processed cheddar with sodium benzoate or similar as an antimicrobial

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've just never seen a huge honkin' block of it being sold.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's not like refrigeration was a common thing for the three thousand years or so humans have been making cheese.

Most hard cheeses are relatively shelf stable for a year as long as they're in the rind and kept below 70f.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 21, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

It's not like refrigeration was a common thing for the three thousand years or so humans have been making cheese.

Most hard cheeses are relatively shelf stable for a year as long as they're in the rind and kept below 70f.

yeah a lot of cheeses are kept naturally at like 60F

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Could be MAP instead of just vac sealing as well. A lot of cheeses, even things like sliced sandwich cheeses, can last for months in an atmosphere that slows the ripening processes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

Could be MAP instead of just vac sealing as well. A lot of cheeses, even things like sliced sandwich cheeses, can last for months in an atmosphere that slows the ripening processes.

that's a good point. i don't think that's the case here, i think it's just loaded with preservatives, but it does make me wonder about how far you could push it.

speaking of shelf stability i always get a kick out of how some of the water bath canning people on the internet try to push things in the name of prepping. "THE GOVERNMENT MAKES IT ILLEGAL TO CAN CHEESE BUT I AM HERE TO TELL YOU IT CAN BE DONE WITH A SIMPLE WATER BATH"

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbgO0q6n4U

:lol: I love it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I straight up don't buy messy food if I'm going to be eating it with my hands not at home so to me this looks ridiculous, is this something people would actually want?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I straight up don't buy messy food if I'm going to be eating it with my hands not at home so to me this looks ridiculous, is this something people would actually want?

From the Awful Kickstarter thread in PYF:

AceOfFlames posted:

I...kinda want this.

There's at least one person

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is the dumbest thing I’ve seen in a long time

And wouldn’t solve the central problem with burritos, that stuff falls out of them

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm not going to check if it falls within my company's White Elephant max cost of $20 limit, because I already know it doesn't

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm not going to check if it falls within my company's White Elephant max cost of $20 limit, because I already know it doesn't

$40 I think

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

how will this succeed if there's no burrito-subscription-based business model

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s also loving enormous

i know burritos can be sizeable but

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mediaphage posted:

it’s also loving enormous

i know burritos can be sizeable but

Wait, you mean the food that is explictly and optimally designed to be eaten with your hands doesn't benefit from being put into an enormous plastic sheath?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like you'd constantly be harassed by people asking what the deal is too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

how will this succeed if there's no burrito-subscription-based business model

The burrito holder will only open for burritos with the correct QR code from Burritoroo.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

$40!?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'd only be interested if it came with a pneumatic tube set up to the nearest burrito joint like a bank drive thru.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

therattle posted:

The burrito holder will only open for burritos with the correct QR code from Burritoroo.

I like how easy it is to get refills with the Brrito app!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this thing should be built like a horse feedbag. straps around your neck, a sensor measures the distance from burrito edge to your mouth so it's always within biting range

Thumposaurus posted:

I'd only be interested if it came with a pneumatic tube set up to the nearest burrito joint like a bank drive thru.

oh, like the alameda-weehauken burrito tunnel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s $40 but that’s only like the cost of two chipotle burritos (or one if you get door dash to deliver it)