Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Berserker has worse base defense and chance of being targeted than the Vanguard, is it really meant to be a tank at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LiefKatano posted:

Does anybody know what's up with Victory Double, specifically when used by Sir Sloan in the Black Mage/Bravebearer/Bastion uncap fight? It seems to do 9999 damage twice, except when it doesn't (I think I saw it go for 8888 once?) which is, of course, enough to turn even a 19998 HP Seth into soft, gooey paste.

I thought to use Auto Guard to reduce the damage, and it worked once I'm pretty sure and then... it didn't. I don't know why it wouldn't work the second time, though...?? Wall of Woe was in effect but Sean had 2 BP still.

I was able to beat the fight once, but I want the Bravebearer weapon so it would be nice to have a strategy that isn't just, like... "wait for Contagion to sap away all of his MP each and every time".

Keep in mind for those fights, all of the bosses gain BP for every action you take, so if you're letting them get 3 actions for every couple of actions your team takes, that's a terrible tradeoff. Personally, I just splattered that enemy across the walls with an alpha strike from my first couple of characters (I think at that point I was using ninefold strike x4), using the beastmaster passive to make sure that they went first. You can basically do that to the first two enemies, and then take your time with the last one. Of course, there's a much, much easier way to do the fight...

You've got Across the Board now, so you can multitarget everything. You should also, at this point, have Hellblade uncapped so that you have access to Ultima Sword and Red Mage uncapped for access to HP/MP Convertor. Set up three of your characters to go first, multitarget Ultima Sword with HP/MP convertor, and enjoy the 99999 damage to all enemies. They'll die instantly from damage reflect, but who cares? You can also do a slightly more complex version of this by using the blessing shield to cast cura after each Ultima Sword and single target down both Sloan and Emma since they don't have damage reflect.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

The Berserker has worse base defense and chance of being targeted than the Vanguard, is it really meant to be a tank at all?

No it’s meant to murder with efficiency. Being berserk even lowers defense.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No it’s meant to murder with efficiency. Being berserk even lowers defense.

I mean, it’s murder-y, but in a world with Godspeed Strike and Bare-Knuckle Brawler, there’s more effective choices out there.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, it’s murder-y, but in a world with Godspeed Strike and Bare-Knuckle Brawler, there’s more effective choices out there.

Its passives are really, really nice for clearing trash fights, and unshakeable will is amazing for quite a while (until you get better anti-status gear). I don't think I ever really used the job proper that often though, yeah.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Pollyanna posted:

Bare-Knuckle Brawler can be combined with Berserker. More effectively than it can with monk, even, because of Berserker's higher physical attack.

Godspeed Strike cannot (I'm pretty sure Berserker's lower speed outweighs the higher Physical Attack? maybe? probably?) (edit for anyone who cares: it's apparently pretty equal? though I didn't farm Speed Booster Buns or whatever, so maybe I'm just missing the main reason people are on the Godspeed Strike hype train :U) but there's a lot of bosses with adds that Level Slash cleans up very, very nicely, in addition to the whole "clears encounters" thing. and I've ranted about it in the thread before but the level 15 ability, Death's Door, is amazing, and if you're using a Shieldmaster setup it's a lot of damage for not much cost.

LiefKatano fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 19, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Its abilities and moves are pretty good, just the class itself is eh. Berserking is kinda pointless when you can use level 12 moves instead.

The job system and scaling is kinda weird this time, really. Level 12 moves kick profound amounts of rear end, e.g. Godspeed Strike and the Monk one, such that getting any of them early trivializes bosses. It feels very odd and I can’t put it into words.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Berserking powers up level 12 moves that rely on physical attack and can potentially let you use them for free, which is huge because costing things is how they pretend to balance things.

It also has really high physical attack and while it's speed is low if you focus on optimizing physical attack (and use Bare-Knuckle Brawler because why wouldn't you) it's light enough to get turns fairly quickly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

Imagine Godspeed Strike, but it's free

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm liking the gameplay so far but man this game runs like complete poo poo. Like I can't believe how badly optimized it is, especially relative to the visuals which are middling at best. The load times are bad and the sheer number of them is annoying. I even get a weird lag in the menus sometimes. They really need to get some patches out.

Just in chapter 1, started last night. Chained in the beach for 30 minutes and maxed out Freelancer. Black mage seems to be pretty ehhhh. A lot of MP to do the same or less damage as Freelancer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm liking the gameplay so far but man this game runs like complete poo poo. Like I can't believe how badly optimized it is, especially relative to the visuals which are middling at best. The load times are bad and the sheer number of them is annoying. I even get a weird lag in the menus sometimes. They really need to get some patches out.

There is no predictive loading and it drives me crazy -- especially when using the caravan to travel from city to city.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gloria’s voice actor is on the newest season of Taskmaster lol

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The Gunslinger posted:

Just in chapter 1, started last night. Chained in the beach for 30 minutes and maxed out Freelancer. Black mage seems to be pretty ehhhh. A lot of MP to do the same or less damage as Freelancer.

It’s real weird yeah. You get Body Slam from Freelancer at around the same time as you get the -aga spells from Black Mage and the power gap is completely insane.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SKULL.GIF posted:

There is no predictive loading and it drives me crazy -- especially when using the caravan to travel from city to city.

The caravan goes outside the city. I took the caravan to a city because I wanted to go inside the city.

Also it's not that hard to write a background-thread object pooling cache. You can even fall back on loading scenes if it's empty!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LiefKatano posted:

Full team Reraise did help out a ton, thanks.

Or at least it made things interesting while feeling doable.

...Though apparently Sloan can dispel buffs with his Microgravity move which... come on, dude. Really?!

If you still need help

Make everyone Bravebearer lvl 12, put on subjob of Freelancer and have the picto skill that makes subjob BP skills cost 0. Start the fight, just go full brave and bodyslam everyone. Seriously you'll just kill them all despite going into -3 constantly. Just save Lonsdale for last as he'll counter- but he'll never actually get his turn.

Yes it's braindead and yes you'll win every time minus some phoenix downs. It's uh, very :effort:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Gunslinger posted:

It's really bad in this department. I saw textures refuse to load and the frame rate gets very goofy sometimes.

But drat the loading screens combined with side quests that were designed without accounting for loading screens are just the worst.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pollyanna posted:

What about the berserker class suggests to you that it's meant to be a tank? There's like three tank classes and the game isn't exactly subtle about what they are.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pollyanna posted:

The job system and scaling is kinda weird this time, really. Level 12 moves kick profound amounts of rear end, e.g. Godspeed Strike and the Monk one, such that getting any of them early trivializes bosses. It feels very odd and I can’t put it into words.

Godspeed Strike is a level 9 ability, it's crazy. That one alone will carry you through most of the game until eventually Ninefold Flurry knocks it out of the park. At no point does magic feel like it catches up, unfortunately... even now when I can do things like chainspell big spells for upwards of 8,000 damage or whatever, a single Ninefold Flurry can deal 30,000+ damage. It's ridiculous how off the scaling is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Personally most of the challenge has come from me trying to beat the bosses while also getting all that JP. Every boss I was stuck on I’m sure I could have used my mastered classes to get through easily but gotta be earning JP forever

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been reading a bunch of guides, what level should I be for the first zone's rare enemies?

I'm almost level 20 MC and I just got to the desert town

Almost have freelancer maxed out with everyone for that sweet JP-UP bonuses, thanks Boat.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been reading a bunch of guides, what level should I be for the first zone's rare enemies?

I'm almost level 20 MC and I just got to the desert town

Almost have freelancer maxed out with everyone for that sweet JP-UP bonuses, thanks Boat.

For rare enemies, it's less about level and more about abilities. The fae critter up top is the easiest to kill, the tree has a ton of health but is vulnerable to poison, and the lizard is immune to a lot of early game things but folds quickly once you can get past that. Realistically, you can steal some pretty neat stuff from each of them, and for all but a few rare critters, what you can steal is the same as what they drop. The more of the rare equipment you get, the higher your power spikes, and the more of the rare monsters you can kill more easily. Of course, you need the weight allowance to use said equipment, and that's really where your level constraint is going to come from.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

For rare enemies, it's less about level and more about abilities. The fae critter up top is the easiest to kill, the tree has a ton of health but is vulnerable to poison, and the lizard is immune to a lot of early game things but folds quickly once you can get past that. Realistically, you can steal some pretty neat stuff from each of them, and for all but a few rare critters, what you can steal is the same as what they drop. The more of the rare equipment you get, the higher your power spikes, and the more of the rare monsters you can kill more easily. Of course, you need the weight allowance to use said equipment, and that's really where your level constraint is going to come from.

I only just got to the desert town, so there's no thief skill yet

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I only just got to the desert town, so there's no thief skill yet

Fair enough. You might be able to take the fae critter up top, but I'd leave the other two alone until later. Rare critters aren't endgame challenges, but they do vary wildly in strength. It's always worth fighting them and taking notes on what they do and are weak to so that you can come back later when you have the tools you need.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Fair enough. You might be able to take the fae critter up top, but I'd leave the other two alone until later. Rare critters aren't endgame challenges, but they do vary wildly in strength. It's always worth fighting them and taking notes on what they do and are weak to so that you can come back later when you have the tools you need.

Yeah, I beat one with MC being a level 5 BM, but holy gently caress charm that took half an hour

now I learn that body slam does like 800 per to her, and welp :negative:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Godspeed Strike is a level 9 ability, it's crazy. That one alone will carry you through most of the game until eventually Ninefold Flurry knocks it out of the park. At no point does magic feel like it catches up, unfortunately... even now when I can do things like chainspell big spells for upwards of 8,000 damage or whatever, a single Ninefold Flurry can deal 30,000+ damage. It's ridiculous how off the scaling is.
Quad AoE reflect with (job spoiler) arcanist specalty 2 + chain spell can punch for about 100k but you're working with like a 20% activation rate for that setup - not good. But it does give you a glimpse of what magic could have done if they had provided it a bit more passive support. With one passive giving some extra matk and tweaking that specialty to be 100% activation you'd be suddenly dropping Ninefold flurry levels of damage and using a completely different party dynamic.

Paying an ability tax on slotting magic crit in order to use any crit abilities is also pretty frustrating.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's kind of astonishing how trash attack magic is, like it wasn't great in Default/Second but it was useful for the first few hours while it's basically worthless from the start in this, especially when you can get the same spells from beastmaster captures that will do 9999+ when casted from a job ability. Even in the prologue chapter you're better off using attack items than attack magic, items fall off pretty quick too but at least you can make them useful again later with job abilities.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

No, it's meant to go :ssj: and gently caress up your enemies. Berserker has never been a tank in FF games (FFXIV WAR are not BER :colbert:).

Pollyanna posted:

Level Strike is ridiculous for clearing out trash encounters. I run bare-knuckle and monster whisperer on Seth with berserker as a secondary job which means he can instantly clear trash fights with rare exception. The passive that lets you use skills for free when berserk also makes it crazy good as a fire-and-forget setup like Monkzerker because you'll use high damage skills without the high hp/mp/bp costs. Though you'll eventually want to just manually control the character or use berserker as a secondary job.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Personally most of the challenge has come from me trying to beat the bosses while also getting all that JP. Every boss I was stuck on Im sure I could have used my mastered classes to get through easily but gotta be earning JP forever

I spent like half an hour trying to beat Edna with job classes I wanted to level up only to find that that battle doesn't give you any exp/jp/pg at all :rubshands:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Do you guys have a list of the high-power abilities in order of when you first get their corresponding job? Like:
  1. Freelancer: Body Slam
  2. Vanguard: Shield Bash (? I haven't made great use of it.)
  3. Monk: Bare-Knuckle Brawler (passive)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do you guys have a list of the high-power abilities in order of when you first get their corresponding job? Like:
  1. Freelancer: Body Slam
  2. Vanguard: Shield Bash (? I haven't made great use of it.)
  3. Monk: Bare-Knuckle Brawler (passive)

Depends on what you mean. Some abilities are strong against trash enemies, some are strong single target, some are strong but have a significant MP or BP cost that can make spamming them more difficult in certain situations, etc. Then you factor in enemy weaknesses, which things like Body Slam and Bare-Knuckle Brawler ignore, and that can be either a good or a bad thing based on what you have and what you're up against.

I'm not going to say that every ability has a niche - I've mastered every job in the endgame and probably didn't use more than 10% of the total active abilities in the game (used lots of passives though!) because they either weren't relevant or were simply outclassed by the later abilities (things like the basic spells of new mage classes, for instance). Some of them I used either for shits and giggles or out of desperation because the particular boss or enemy I was up against was immune or heavily resisted the other attacks that that character had access to. Hell, in the endgame I occasionally had my healers braving 4 times and attacking with a stick because I needed their BP to be lower and they simply had too much (and their offensive abilities were absorbed by a certain enemy I was fighting).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

raditts posted:

I... may have captured a lot of monsters.
(spoilered for jobs in later chapters)

I've been trying to max out all the classes as I go through incidental battles just to keep things interesting, but I decided to see how this setup with Thief subclass would work against one of the Chapter 5 bosses.
It didn't make it past two characters doing 4x Godspeed Strikes.

I've barely even used the beast tamer job yet, i didn't know your stats go up by capturing more.

How does it work, like is it based on unique monsters captured or just total volume and is there a way to see what you have or haven't captured?

I'm still just on chapter 2 and having a hard time with bosses like the archer because i've maybe not grinded enough for certain job classes. Plus with so many moves for so many jobs it's hard to tell what i can use to just be consistently godly.

Like from reading the last page, Godspeed strike breaks the game in your favour? I've been using vangaurd on everyone to get the double axe attack for about 300 damage per attack but it's not really cutting it against the general enemies in that forest even at level 22.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kin posted:

I've barely even used the beast tamer job yet, i didn't know your stats go up by capturing more.

How does it work, like is it based on unique monsters captured or just total volume and is there a way to see what you have or haven't captured?

I'm still just on chapter 2 and having a hard time with bosses like the archer because i've maybe not grinded enough for certain job classes. Plus with so many moves for so many jobs it's hard to tell what i can use to just be consistently godly.

Like from reading the last page, Godspeed strike breaks the game in your favour? I've been using vangaurd on everyone to get the double axe attack for about 300 damage per attack but it's not really cutting it against the general enemies in that forest even at level 22.

Godspeed Strike uses Agility in its damage formula and the result is an attack that’s more powerful than anything else in your arsenal and it does that same hellacious damage again a couple turns later.

I’ve found Pressure Point from Monk to be a random battle deleter. It’s like Body Slam but it ignores Defense and Defaulting.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wow that (prologue) death was expected but I am not sure what exactly happened there. He blew up? the bad guy blew him up? idgi

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Godspeed Strike uses Agility in its damage formula and the result is an attack that’s more powerful than anything else in your arsenal and it does that same hellacious damage again a couple turns later.

I’ve found Pressure Point from Monk to be a random battle deleter. It’s like Body Slam but it ignores Defense and Defaulting.

I read about the berserker having a passive ability to hit all enemies at the same time (dunno if that also means the average damage is lowered), so would that combine with godspeed strike to basically nuke all enemies then?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kin posted:

I read about the berserker having a passive ability to hit all enemies at the same time (dunno if that also means the average damage is lowered), so would that combine with godspeed strike to basically nuke all enemies then?

Only works for the attack command, just like the thief's Mug passive or the BM's aspir attack passive.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dirk the Average posted:

Only works for the attack command, just like the thief's Mug passive or the BM's aspir attack passive.

Now if you wanna talk about endgame...

(endgame job spoilers obvz) Bravebearer's Across the Board does let you use any ability multi-target, if you want, and it is as ridic as it sounds. There's a reason it's a 2-cost passive.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m in chapter 5 and looking up some stuff and

Is Chapter 6 technically the “post game?” I did not realize the game was coming to a potential end this fast. I also really wanna save my endgame grinding for when I can take jobs above 15

But I don’t feel like I have any crazy combos during fights still or crazy BP battery stuff yet

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m in chapter 5 and looking up some stuff and

Is Chapter 6 technically the “post game?” I did not realize the game was coming to a potential end this fast. I also really wanna save my endgame grinding for when I can take jobs above 15

But I don’t feel like I have any crazy combos during fights still or crazy BP battery stuff yet

BP batteries and unlimited turn combos become available in chapter 4. The potential to snap the game in half is yours, you just need to grasp it!

Ch.6 is the endgame, it's a little weird in that all the postgame challenges become available then. And job level 15 is unlocked by them.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you still need help

Make everyone Bravebearer lvl 12, put on subjob of Freelancer and have the picto skill that makes subjob BP skills cost 0. Start the fight, just go full brave and bodyslam everyone. Seriously you'll just kill them all despite going into -3 constantly. Just save Lonsdale for last as he'll counter- but he'll never actually get his turn.

Yes it's braindead and yes you'll win every time minus some phoenix downs. It's uh, very :effort:
I might just use this, honestly. I beat it and right now I'm just grinding for the Bravebearer sword, and also incidental EXP grinding but making it as brainless as possible would be nice.

EDIT: not 100% sure I executed it perfectly but it worked and I got the thing! so.

raditts posted:

It's kind of astonishing how trash attack magic is, like it wasn't great in Default/Second but it was useful for the first few hours while it's basically worthless from the start in this, especially when you can get the same spells from beastmaster captures that will do 9999+ when casted from a job ability. Even in the prologue chapter you're better off using attack items than attack magic, items fall off pretty quick too but at least you can make them useful again later with job abilities.

Magic was pretty good in Second, wasn't it? It leaned on Spellcraft, sure (and I'm pretty sure regular black magic was crap because of how it interacted with it as a result; magic that hit everyone by default did double damage, which was spirit magic, summoning magic, and Meteor, but not black magic, and the scaling got really weird with Rain) but Spellcraft was attached to the first job in the game that you got, so. (Dual-wielding was also way more viable for magic attackers; they explicitly point out in an enemy log thing that the M. Atk bonus isn't halved when dual-wielding, and weight wasn't a thing to dissuade you from doing that.)

They definitely overcompensated for it, though, yeah. It's so weird how there's so many magic bonuses that have drawbacks, like arcanist's "groupcast spells deal full damage but also hit you" or "MP Cost +50% for damage +25%" whereas it feels like physical bonuses are way more lenient ("the higher your target chance, a stat as a tank you WANT more of, the higher your physical attack").

LiefKatano fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

LiefKatano posted:

I might just use this, honestly. I beat it and right now I'm just grinding for the Bravebearer sword, and also incidental EXP grinding but making it as brainless as possible would be nice.

Magic was pretty good in Second, wasn't it? It leaned on Spellcraft, sure (and I'm pretty sure regular black magic was crap because of how it interacted with it as a result; magic that hit everyone by default did double damage, which was spirit magic, summoning magic, and Meteor, but not black magic, and the scaling got really weird with Rain) but Spellcraft was attached to the first job in the game that you got, so. (Dual-wielding was also way more viable for magic attackers; they explicitly point out in an enemy log thing that the M. Atk bonus isn't halved when dual-wielding, and weight wasn't a thing to dissuade you from doing that.)

They definitely overcompensated for it, though, yeah. It's so weird how there's so many magic bonuses that have drawbacks, like arcanist's "groupcast spells deal full damage but also hit you" or "MP Cost +50% for damage +25%" whereas it feels like physical bonuses are way more lenient ("the higher your target chance, a stat as a tank you WANT more of, the higher your physical attack").

Spellcrafting was badass. You have the big game breaking stuff like casting Meteor 120 times in one turn but there’s also things you can do early on like cast Raise as a DOT on the party or have a boss “counter” by healing you every time you attack. Some of the most fun magic in a JRPG imho.

Magic in BDII on the other hand always feels like it’s making a concession.