Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I've only read a brief recap of the podcast but from my understanding WWE was willing to do it.... but only if Big Show paid them a 7 figure sum up front for the right to do so and then another 7 figure sum the next year? :psyduck:

And a 30% cut of the profits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

flashy_mcflash posted:

Paul Wight Castle

Mother of gently caress, this is brilliant

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Paul Wight Castle of Fear

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

The Paul Wight Castle of Fear

Hornswoggle with an eyepatch yelling "PLAY THE GAME!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Please stop saying things I'll never see. :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OctoberCountry posted:

And a 30% cut of the profits

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Low Desert Punk posted:

is there a specific reason why Vince treats Big Show like absolute poo poo? Is it just because he got fat and lazy in the 00s? Because I remember hearing on shoots how Vince would practically salivate over Paul when he was in WCW, fantasizing about what he could book with a guy like that, and then he ended up being a complete joke for 20 years

He once told a story (paraphrased and half remembered) that he started using Vince's private bathroom, and then got put into a feud with Khali. He asked Vince at some point "is this feud going anywhere?" And vince's reply was "I dunno, are you gonna stop ruining my toilet?"

I choose to believe that he just never actually stopped using the toilet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
All in all Big Show was pretty smart because he had a guaranteed dollar amount contract when they shifted to the network model so he still got paid like a big main eventer when everyone else took a haircut.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

81sidewinder posted:

Big Show 99 is one of the worst booked years for any wrestler ever, yeah.

But at Survivor Series 1999, he's booked like a goddamned megastar:

Starts the night beating the poo poo out of his Survivor Series match team mates because he doesn't need them.

Beats the piss out of the team of Bossman, Albert, Mideon and Viscera, barely breaking a sweat and eliminating 3 of them within a minute, causing Bossman to run away.

Gets added to the title match, and despite Rock and HHH double teaming him constantly and interference from DX, he wins the title, ending the night as champion.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I always enjoyed that Vince used to always tell Meltzer that WCW were ruining the Giant and that only Vince knew how to book giants and if Vince ever got his hands on him he'd be a mega star and then when he finally got the Giant he debuted by throwing Austin out of a cage and accidentally giving Austin the victory like a dipshit.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

I always enjoyed that Vince used to always tell Meltzer that WCW were ruining the Giant and that only Vince knew how to book giants and if Vince ever got his hands on him he'd be a mega star and then when he finally got the Giant he debuted by throwing Austin out of a cage and accidentally giving Austin the victory like a dipshit.

That could have been fine, I mean you don't have Austin lose to McMahon in the cage, the crowd would have poo poo all over that and it would have been really dumb at that time in the feud. White should probably have earned a title shot and beat Austin so Austin could chase but there were also like 5 better characters than him at the time. I don't think crowds then cared about how tall someone was the way they did in the 80s.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bryan made the point that this weeks NXT given everyone else was COVID quarantine that it was a show of nothing but introverts.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

This was actually cool as gently caress though, because Austin getting one over on Vince any way he could through increasingly inventive means was basically the only reason to watch for lengthy periods of the attitude era.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Vince should have gone ahead and named him "Titan" even if WCW was making fun of it. A big stinky giant debuts in your promotion and everyone goes around calling him Paul.

Not even "Paul the Giant." But "Paul Wight." Like a dude who works with your dad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tato posted:

Vince should have gone ahead and named him "Titan" even if WCW was making fun of it. A big stinky giant debuts in your promotion and everyone goes around calling him Paul.

Not even "Paul the Giant." But "Paul Wight." Like a dude who works with your dad.

Yeah. I still remember the debut.

"IT'S PAUL WIGHT!"
"Okay?"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

*looks at the topic of the Jericho pod this week*

drat Jericho is/was friends with a lot of murderers

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Booking Austin vs Big Show on free tv immediately still seems like such a big mistake. It gave Show a ceiling of tv main events rather than PPV main events.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao at WWE trying to big league Bieber at the height of his powers. Who needs one of the biggest stars in the world when you've got Machinegun Kelly!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
On this week's New Day pod introduced us to Big Money Kofi and I'm so sad that he's never gonna be able to do the gimmick for real.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they were calling him Big Show Paul Wight from the start. they also tried calling him Big Nasty. it's too bad that one didnt get over.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
BIG NASTY BASTARD

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I can only imagine the bathroom segments that would have taken place if that was his name

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Big Nasty Fire in the Booth

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Reminder that The Big Show was a TBS joke because Vince can't not be petty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he should be called World Wight Entertainment in AEW

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

On this week's New Day pod introduced us to Big Money Kofi and I'm so sad that he's never gonna be able to do the gimmick for real.

The New Day Podcast is always so great to listen to. When Big Money Kofi cut the promo on the kid :lol:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jesus, Dave

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
hahaha Dave rules

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dango Bango posted:

The New Day Podcast is always so great to listen to. When Big Money Kofi cut the promo on the kid :lol:

Their natural chemistry together is so good. I was honestly feeling bad for Big E when Kofi and Woods were talking about how excited they were for their matching Mortal Kombat gear. Also Big Money Kofi needs to be on the next season of Southpaw if we ever get it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

I was cry-laughing on my dog walk today listening to this. What am awesome gimmick that he absolutely should do it he ever gets free of this hell company.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao at WWE trying to big league Bieber at the height of his powers. Who needs one of the biggest stars in the world when you've got Machinegun Kelly!

WWE's idea for a very long time has been to spend no money and reap profits and never think that nickel and diming will lead to consequences. They are currently experiencing record profits :(

Also yeah it was funny considering Paul's example that Bieber got paid $1M to sit at a football game, and the WWE thinking he doesn't have brand value that could help in a match.

Also, Bryan needs to just get youtube for kids already, the fool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wazzu posted:

Also, Bryan needs to just get youtube for kids already, the fool.

Bryan seemingly only just now coming to the realization that Disney's business strategy is to entice kids to get their parents to pay out the rear end for everything :allears:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
bryan going crazy in front of a conspiracy board that has two giant dots and a single piece of string

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

bryan going crazy in front of a conspiracy board that has two giant dots and a single piece of string

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lmao

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan seemingly only just now coming to the realization that Disney's business strategy is to entice kids to get their parents to pay out the rear end for everything :allears:

The US seems so much wose for that, at least in Australia there's no Disneyland and very few live shows.

Also, Bryan's wife Whitney agreeing with the MJF tweet about pubes on his chin getting Bryan to shave was an underrated podcast moment.

Bryan would somehow take 3 additional steps and pay an intermediate party for some minor thing along the way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wazzu posted:

WWE's idea for a very long time has been to spend no money and reap profits and never think that nickel and diming will lead to consequences. They are currently experiencing record profits :(

I guess it's easy when all you need to do is make Content and not really worry about if it's good or not.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
WOR is up on the site but not on the RSS feed if anyone is waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Dave being real salty on not even considering Bischoff for a spot in the Observer hall of fame.