Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Dang it, I even questioned including her in the list cause she always sounded a little distorted, but I thought I was good enough at identifying their voices by now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

feetnotes posted:

I don't think it holds a lot of water to say they "weren't able to" hire female voice actors until later seasons.
But I think it's a fair critique of the show.

They didn't exactly bring on any voice actors, man, woman, talking dog, or whatever. This was a show where one guy would voice like 9 characters in one episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vidiot posted:

On the commentary for that episode, they say that one of them (I think Publick) voiced that lady and it was pitched up in post. They do that every so often, like with Vain Gloria (the Eartha Kitt-sounding lady who has one line at Sgt. Hatred's party).

On a different commentary, they say that they never cast Triana's mom's voice because they wanted somebody notable but didn't want to possibly struggle to get them back later, like they did with Stephen Colbert and Bill Hader. It isn't a great reason for not casting more women VAs, but it's definitely a problem that they've struggled with before.

The hosed up part is that Stephen Colbert did want to come back and do the voice, but his agent or whoever immediately turned it down and didn't know about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cojawfee posted:

The hosed up part is that Stephen Colbert did want to come back and do the voice, but his agent or whoever immediately turned it down and didn't know about it.

That was only for season 2 or 3, I think. From then on, it was Colbert again.

Vidiot
Apr 4, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

That was only for season 2 or 3, I think. From then on, it was Colbert again.

Colbert voiced Professor Impossible in seasons 1 and 2, Publick did the voice in season 3, Hader took over in season 4, and Colbert came back for the Gargantua special. Also I think Publick's brother voiced him in the pilot?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course, meant more that it could go either way, which was probably on purpose. I do like how they hammer home Jonas is such a huge piece of poo poo that he ends up doing horrible things to people who consider him a friend without a second thought. Like, Rusty knows at least to use people no one cares about as fodder for his experiments.

Considering everything we know about Jonas, it was probably both.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1369095857547571201?s=19

Surely someone more creative than me could use this for good.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Problem is I"m so uncreative I would just want him to yell "WHERE'S MY SUFFERING BASTARD?!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh gently caress. I might actually do that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1369095857547571201?s=19

Surely someone more creative than me could use this for good.

Oh my, this is a good gift idea for my best friend

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes, I'm definitely thinking about it for someone who isn't me....

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

With Jonas, him talking about his 'potent science' could easily be read as an intention to enjoy impregnating Blue Morpho's wife, or to perform horrific science experiments under the pretence of helping them with their fertility issues.
Yeah, it's pretty pointless to speculate on this one, because we should all know by now that when they only hint at something, but leave it vague, it's because they haven't decided yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feetnotes posted:

I don't think it holds a lot of water to say they "weren't able to" hire female voice actors until later seasons. There were plenty of women voice actors from early on, from one-offs like Dr. Quymn and family, Moira (though she came back later), the saleswoman when Doc and Dean go to buy his first speed suit, or Lt. Baldavich, to recurring roles like Molotov and Triana.

The show is just more centered around men. It was created by men and it's primarily a show about and for men. Almost every woman in the show is primarily defined by her relationship with a man -- though this does get a little better in later seasons. And in some cases, that means they're such a prop that they literally don't have a voice.

Now, that's not to say there's nothing in the show women can enjoy -- I know many who do. And it's not to say I don't still enjoy it. But I think it's a fair critique of the show.

I think Doc and Jackson have said at some point the lack of female influence in Rusty's life in particular is part of the point; that the super-science adventurer Jonny Quest lifestyle is male-dominated, where women are objectified and ignored, and the results of that can be seen with Rusty and the boys having no idea how to act around girls and having to figure it out from first principles, which obviously reflects on how badly their initial relationships go. (Frankly, it's a surprise that Hank and Dean aren't much worse)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Doc and Jackson have said at some point the lack of female influence in Rusty's life in particular is part of the point; that the super-science adventurer Jonny Quest lifestyle is male-dominated, where women are objectified and ignored, and the results of that can be seen with Rusty and the boys having no idea how to act around girls and having to figure it out from first principles, which obviously reflects on how badly their initial relationships go. (Frankly, it's a surprise that Hank and Dean aren't much worse)
This would be a much easier pill to swallow if excuses like this weren't used literally every time people raise concerns over representations in media.

Like, it's not quite "she breathes through her skin so she's naked all the time," but it's really not far off.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I’m guessing there isn’t a big Tumblr demographic here, and the dril tweets + other thing might be over done, but I’m enjoying this dril/ Venture Bros blog. https://drilbros.tumblr.com/

This one is my favorite https://drilbros.tumblr.com/post/644945612137267200

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 13, 2021

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I think the one about the cowboy lifestyle is my favorite, if only for the sheer coincidence that there is a still from the show that just fits.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Shout out to this thread for recommending Harley Quinn. It really is fantastic. Just binged it. Ron Funches will never not crack me up as King Shark.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm doing a full watch-through for the first time after catching bits and bobs on Adult Swim many years ago, and man the first two seasons have not aged well. The amount of homophobic, transphobic and ableist "jokes," is a really unfortunate time capsule. I hope the show moves away from this particular style of "humor," soon or it'll be hard to keep watching.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Now that I think about it, calling someone a "crumbum" is quite hurtful

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sanguinia posted:

I'm doing a full watch-through for the first time after catching bits and bobs on Adult Swim many years ago, and man the first two seasons have not aged well. The amount of homophobic, transphobic and ableist "jokes," is a really unfortunate time capsule. I hope the show moves away from this particular style of "humor," soon or it'll be hard to keep watching.
Yeah, the first two seasons are rough. It gets better... well, depending on how you feel about jokes about a pedophile, it gets a little better then a lot better. That one kinda lasts longer than the others.

(to this day I think "whaaaaaaaaatever, Officer Poncherello" whenever I see a motorcycle cop and I have to try really hard to not finish that drunk Monarch quote)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Piper posted:

Now that I think about it, calling someone a "crumbum" is quite hurtful

Not as bad as "crampon"

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

It's worth waiting until the beginning of season 3 before you give up on the show. Skip forward if you have to

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Mercifully the creators do seem to have gotten more woke rather than less so.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
VB's original pilot was put out in 2000 or 2001, and these days what I remember most of it was Dr. Venture being gay as a joke and Dr. Girlfriend clearly being set up for trans jokes (some made it into the show proper, but never at her expense thankfully). It existed over a longer period of time than most shows due to its long seasonal development cycle, so it's a rare case of its seasons being products of their times rather than the entire show itself. If your humor can't evolve with the times and your own understanding, you're a hack. Thankfully, Publick and Hammer weren't hacks.

It still makes it hard to show the earlier seasons to friends, and it's hard to skip over them too since a lot of their stuff is foundational to the series as a whole.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it helps that the whole concept of the show lends itself more to examining issues of sexism and objectification critically rather than taking them for granted. Like, the stuff with Dr Girlfriend's backstory is from her perspective dealing with sexism both institutional and personal, and puts her character and relationships into a new light.

Also, Warriana is a funny one given she comes off as a hella dated stereotype especially for the time at first glance, but actually works due to some humanisation and ridiculous mythology deep cuts, and Brock actually coming around and finding he's into her. (or maybe he has a thing for women who are missing one of two things)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Brock likes women who aren't infatuated with him. If you notice, whenever a woman goes out of their way to try and seduce him, he's all :nallears: about them. Sure, he might sleep with them, but he has zero interest in seeing them again. He likes teasers who make him work for it. :shrug:

Alexis/Warriana keeps him on his toes. Probably literally, most of the time. >.>

Her complete absence in the last season was one of the worst parts of it but I guess Kate McKinnon had better/more profitable things to do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Her complete absence in the last season was one of the worst parts of it but I guess Kate McKinnon had better/more profitable things to do.

Just have Jackson Publick do her voice!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I love this show dearly, but it is built out of two white Gen X men's childhood cultural detritus and all the baggage that comes with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I love this show dearly, but it is built out of two white Gen X men's childhood cultural detritus and all the baggage that comes with.

The only respite for this is they know some of the stuff they did or neglected to do was lovely and part of the recent awkward past and are trying their best to fix their game. The first two seasons were in the background of a lot of awkward edgy and stupid early phase/one shot Adult Swim vehicles.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The only respite for this is they know some of the stuff they did or neglected to do was lovely and part of the recent awkward past and are trying their best to fix their game. The first two seasons were in the background of a lot of awkward edgy and stupid early phase/one shot Adult Swim vehicles.

Yeah, this show is one of the few that really evolved over time and I'm very glad for that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How is it, 20 years later, I'm still "getting" jokes?

My friend's retired parents are apparently raising some monarch butterflies as a hobby. I was reading up on the wiki for the monarch butterfly and stumbled across a factoid.

All this time, I though Gary chose the name Viceroy due to its title having similar connotation to King(Monarch). But that wasn't just it, the viceroy butterfly is a well known mimic of the monarch butterfly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bull3964 posted:

My friend's retired parents are apparently raising some monarch butterflies as a hobby. I was reading up on the wiki for the monarch butterfly and stumbled across a factoid.

All this time, I though Gary chose the name Viceroy due to its title having similar connotation to King(Monarch). But that wasn't just it, the viceroy butterfly is a well known mimic of the monarch butterfly.

It's the great little in jokes and the more clever references like this that make the show way better than the many around it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

Doesn't Gary explicitly mention that in Momma's Boys?

This show is great to go through tear downs. I used to really like the MantisEyeProject after watching an episode a few times. But apparently he got a job or some poo poo over 2 decades because he stopped updating :cry:

deong fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 19, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

deong posted:

Doesn't Gary explicitly mention that in Momma's Boys?

He more or less breaks this down just as a random bit of trivia with the others yeah. That whole bit is fantastic.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I had no idea what a blue morpho was until this show.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I knew what all the butterflies are because my mom loves butterflies and always identified them when we were out in public spaces where they may be found

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The real funny thing is that the Monarch himself doesn't know anything about the butterflies and Dr Girlfriend is the one who has to tell him they only live about nine months, that 'monarch' is also a term for royalty, etc.

Kind of a vibe that at least half of costumed super-scientists, heroes and villains are, of course, massive goddamn nerds, while the other are obsessive lunatics with particularly bizarre fixations, with some overlap.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I will never forget what a lepidopterologist is because of this show.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pooch516 posted:

I will never forget what a lepidopterologist is because of this show.

Same with philatelist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

kid's daffy. head fulla puddin'