Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Mask are “required” but not enforced the hvac system is from the 60s

Man, if nothing else, the last year or so has taught us just how worthless "required but not enforced" actually is for humanity.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Huh. Well both of those things are poo poo. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Now- if you had really great procedures and got outbreak'd anyway, that would be interesting and scary, but that's not the case here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Now tell me about how “revealing” clothing is treated at your school.

edited by mistake lol sorry

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 19, 2021

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Platystemon posted:

Now tell me about how “revealing” clothing is treated at your school.

edited by mistake lol sorry
the post edited in by mistake
Guys wearing du rags are told they are in a gang and suspended. They mostly just have a new haircut. Don’t even think about being female and having hair it’s not allowed

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the school gave us a "meal" for promising not to tell the students a bunch of students have covid, shockingly I told the students, im in a lot of trouble lol

Cases in schools get news headlines here, in addition to the school being closed for "deep cleaning" and parents being contacted to notify them of what symptoms to look out for.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Lolie posted:

Cases in schools get news headlines here, in addition to the school being closed for "deep cleaning" and parents being contacted to notify them of what symptoms to look out for.

Sure, but do your schools have "rock it" bananas?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

That basket is the most condescending bunch of gently caress I have ever seen in my life. Sorry HGB, glad you did what you thought (and is) right.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the school gave us a "meal" for promising not to tell the students a bunch of students have covid, shockingly I told the students, im in a lot of trouble lol

for what it's worth, i appreciate you sticking your neck out to keep your students safe or at least informed. you're a good teacher for that

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

HGB when the school confronted you for leaking the info you should have said "orange you glad i didn't say banana? :smuggo:"

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Getting fruit would make me want to do the opposite of whatever they wanted. Now if they gave me a basket of artichokes and I’d do anything. Anything they wanted. Anything.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Stunt_enby posted:

for what it's worth, i appreciate you sticking your neck out to keep your students safe or at least informed. you're a good teacher for that

Also remember you can legally call out anyone you want, if you're not a Healthcare provider or adjacent HIPAA doesn't apply to you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They obviously don’t lurk here if they think that’s the kind of thing you chow down in your free time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dear Watson posted:

Getting fruit would make me want to do the opposite of whatever they wanted. Now if they gave me a basket of artichokes and I’d do anything. Anything they wanted. Anything.

I've added this detail to your permanent record

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

EL BROMANCE posted:

They obviously don’t lurk here if they think that’s the kind of thing you chow down in your free time.

Tuna water soaked tortillas

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-III posted:

the rollout in WA state is bs. I'll probably have to wait until May to get one unless there's some inside track on getting a vaccine I'm not aware of.

Which part of the state do you live in? If you can make it to Wenatchee there are usually 4-600 available appointments a day at the mass vaccination site there, and often 200+ of them same day.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
BC unveiled an accelerated immunization plan today and it looks like it's the AZ vaccine for front-line workers in April and Pfizer / Moderna / J&J for everyone else by June. It looks like the AstraZeneca one is the least effective of the pack, though?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Correct.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
AstraZeneca has issues with the South African variant IIRC, but it's much better than nothing:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-no-103036443.html

Basically, you might still feel like you had a cold if you get AZ and are exposed to the more virulent variants, but you're not getting severe Covid or ending up hospitalized if I understand this right.

Edit: better source.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 19, 2021

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Its official - meteors more dangerous than the vaccine ! Though all those left-handed people being killed by right-handed objects is kinda novel...

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My county in kansas just opened up for everyone in phase 3 and 4, and for whatever reason they added IT workers to phase 3 which is what I do. My office sent out an email to my entire team. If you get vaccinated before March 25 here you are guaranteed an mRNA vaccine from pfizer or moderna. We are switching to j&j after that. Managed to get an appointment on Monday at 2 pm.

I saw that 1 in 8 ppl in the us are vaccinated now.

Maybe we are rounding the bend!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Baconroll posted:

Its official - meteors more dangerous than the vaccine ! Though all those left-handed people being killed by right-handed objects is kinda novel...

Facebook is not official, op.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

I saw that 1 in 8 ppl in the us are vaccinated now.

Maybe we are rounding the bend!

The UK government have got a nice little visualisation of the percentage of the population who've received first doses (light blue) and second (dark blue)

(I originally posted the graph here but the transparency's broken, but basically we're at 47% of the over-18 population with one dose, and 3% with the second)

With the supply problems (:thunk:) they have finally slowed down the pace of first jabs to concentrate on getting second jabs into vulnerable populations, which is a pleasant surprise because I always suspected that the moment they hit problems they'd just go "Look, turns out first jab is enough, let's get on with it".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baconroll posted:

Goddamn this is disingenuous, they're taking a bunch of statistics that were derived via different methods and directly comparing them. The meteor stat is particularly bad to include in there, it's taking into account that a giant meteor might potentially hit the earth at any point (over a timeline of several centuries!) and wipe out billions of people in one go. The rest seem to be the number of recorded [dog deaths, etc] per year divided into [total deaths] for the year, the AZ clots statistic is the number of deaths divided into the number of people who didn't die.

I get what they were trying to do but their methodology is lovely.

Baconroll posted:

Though all those left-handed people being killed by right-handed objects is kinda novel...

I googled it and there's a factoid floating around the internet that there are 2,500 left-handed deaths caused by right-handed objects every year, mostly power saws. No one can find an actual source for this.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mozi posted:

HGB when the school confronted you for leaking the info you should have said "orange you glad i didn't say banana? :smuggo:"

The stupid part is it isn't leaking the info they put it out eventually they just decided no one has to quarantine, the other students I know got sick not so much. It's less evil and more arbitrary and idiotic.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, my wife and I had Pfizer Dose 1 yesterday about 3pm.

My arm aches a little but I'm feeling otherwise fine. Like, as if I got punched really hard yesterday and have a bruise.

Wife's got some mild symptoms though - headache and the whole hot/cold cycle thing. You know the whole mild immune response package. Not sure if I'll end up with some of the same later today or if getting this far in means I'm in the clear.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 19, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

redreader posted:

Yeah, so I called the hotline that the Moscone center has, and it turns out it was the CA hotline. I asked a 'general' question: 'kids are sick, I'm not, should I cancel' and the person was like , 'uhhhhhhh I'll transfer you to someone from the right extension and explain your problem'. I got through to that person who didn't know anything about my problem, so I re-explained and they were like 'oh so you want to cancel?' me: 'no. I'm asking if I SHOULD cancel'. Them: 'uuhhhhh????? IDK????? I'm the wrong person to ask!'

So I checked what the health screening questions were for 'should I get vaccinated' and it's basically:
1: are you sick right now
2: have you been exposed to anyone with covid

And my answers to those are:
1: no
2: quite possibly, in fact! my kids just got a test! last time the result came back in 2 days.

So even if I did the lovely thing and tried to go, if I honestly answered their questions they would have turned me away.

You did the right thing, with the possible exception of 'cancelling' instead of 'rescheduling,' but if you're not going to have an issue rescheduling in a timely manner, then good on ya, mate.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

dwarf74 posted:

So, my wife and I had Pfizer Dose 1 yesterday about 3pm.

My arm aches a little but I'm feeling otherwise fine. Like, as if I got punched really hard yesterday and have a bruise.

Wife's got some mild symptoms though - headache and the whole hot/cold cycle thing. You know the whole mild immune response package. Not sure if I'll end up with some of the same later today or if getting this far in means I'm in the clear.

Pretty much the same for my wife and I, however she just got her second dose yesterday and has been hit really hard by the entire list of symptoms. Many times worse than the first dose. She's bedridden and nauseated at the moment.

My second is tomorrow so hopefully she's better by then! I just had arm soreness for the first one.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Garfu posted:

She's bedridden and nauseated at the moment.

I'm fairly concerned about this, but hoping that the farm can just kinda deal with me draggng myself along for a day :ohdear:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lazyhound posted:

BC unveiled an accelerated immunization plan today and it looks like it's the AZ vaccine for front-line workers in April and Pfizer / Moderna / J&J for everyone else by June. It looks like the AstraZeneca one is the least effective of the pack, though?

Yeah, but America just agreed to export a shitload of it to Mexico and Canada since we've decided we're good with the 3 we have approved

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the only way this could be more insulting is if they drew smiley faces on the oranges

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe this was all one big misunderstanding and those bananas are just big fans of Herbie Hancock

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Polio Vax Scene posted:

the only way this could be more insulting is if they drew smiley faces on the oranges

so I do want to make it clear since I was annoyed last night, its becuase they want to officially release the news etc. but its like kids talk about it in class what am I supposed to do

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ultraklystron posted:

AstraZeneca has issues with the South African variant IIRC, but it's much better than nothing:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-no-103036443.html

Basically, you might still feel like you had a cold if you get AZ and are exposed to the more virulent variants, but you're not getting severe Covid or ending up hospitalized if I understand this right.

Edit: better source.

tfa posted:

All 42 cases were mild to moderate, and no patients were hospitalized.

That count includes the placebo group. I'm a layman dingus, but I interpret that to mean that the vaccine didn't seem to do dick in this trial.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone on the vax develop mild tinnitus?

Hoping it’s vaccine related and not my life of being an idiot catching up to me.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

azurite posted:

That count includes the placebo group. I'm a layman dingus, but I interpret that to mean that the vaccine didn't seem to do dick in this trial.

I think it's more they don't have enough data to say for sure one way or the other. Mild/moderate cases can still occur with the vaccines. They can't say it definitely does nothing since there weren't severe cases in the vaccine group. But they can't say it definitely does something because there also weren't severe cases in the placebo group.

It's like how IIRC the initial block on AstraZeneca for over 65s was based on there just being not enough data from the UK RCT showing a difference between the placebo and vaccine group since like, not enough people in the placebo group in that age bracket got COVID. Oxford is either terrible at planning their trials or they just have awful luck since poo poo like this keeps happening.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, it's a really small sample. I qualified it with "in this trial," but I should've phrased better

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's like how IIRC the initial block on AstraZeneca for over 65s was based on there just being not enough data from the UK RCT showing a difference between the placebo and vaccine group since like, not enough people in the placebo group in that age bracket got COVID. Oxford is either terrible at planning their trials or they just have awful luck since poo poo like this keeps happening.

The confidence interval for >65 was -1405% to 94%. Not a typo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's the efficacy of Moderna after 2nd dose 1 week? I really wanna eat out at a resteraunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only data I’ve seen was collected after two weeks.